Post Reply 52 posts
Your Favourite "New" Band(s)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Your Favourite "New" Band(s)

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 am

Not sure aboot the rest of you metal maniacs but this cruise has helped expose me to WAY more bands than I might have learned about in any given year before. Some are bands directly related to the cruise, some just from mentions of other members and some just new local bands I caught while trying to get to lots of gigs this year. As a result, a few have really caught my attention and stuck.

So, name any band or bands you knew little to nothing about a year ago but now find yourself listening to a LOT!

:cheers:

Amon Amarth
    The Sword
    Black Wizard
    Metal Inquisitor
    Sahg
    Skull Fist
    Viathyn
    Striker
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Your Favourite "New" Band(s)

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:44 am

It was about a year ago when I started listening to heavier metal, around the time Arch Enemy came to Calgary.
    Arch Enemy, Exodus, Arsis, Dark Tranquillity, Mutiny Within, Nevermore, Hatesphere, Epica and Hammerfall all got me hooked after seeing them live.
    Amon Amarth, Death Angel, Destruction, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Rage, Sabaton, Sanctuary, Sodom, Testament and Tyr I knew about before but started listening to them a lot after they were announced.
    Dusk Machine, Ensiferium, Finntroll, Forbidden, Korpiklaani, Moonspell and Trouble I found out about through the cruise and I've been loving what I've heard so far.

Man it's hard to imagine what I even listened to before this. Pretty much Metallica, Iron Maiden, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Edguy and Blind Guardian was all the metal that I listened to before a year and a half ago.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Feelixi
    Wiper

by Feelixi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:50 am

It wasn't me and there were others too...
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 am

about half the bands on this cruise ....... I'm always looking for an listening to so much music (variety of genres) that it's hard to just name a few.
    I don't focus to much on any one band, but I do like to try and find at least 2 albums from an artist .... just in case one doesn't hit the spot (so to speak) and with members coming and going from band to band some bands don't sound the same from album to album.

amon amarth
    tyr
    turisas just to name a few :cheers:
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:27 am

ShoreSlayer wrote: Metal Inquisitor

Im glad they stuck to you!! :cheers: they really deserve all the fans they can get!
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 pm

Shok Paris
    Hurtlement
    Black Messiah

At this stage there aren't many bands i havent discovered for myself.
    Brodd
    Petty Officer

by Brodd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Stained Class wrote: Hatesphere

Nice, where did you see them live?

New bands for me would be:
    Svartby
    Acid Witch
    Spiritual Beggars
    Misery Index
    Nattefrost
    Folkearth
    "Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl og for penge
    Og hvis vi ingen penge får
    Og ingen øl ligeså
    Så må i kæmpe kampen uden os!"
    Skål!

70K 2011, Barge to Hell, 70K 2015
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Brodd wrote:
    Stained Class wrote: Hatesphere

Nice, where did you see them live?

They opened for Nevermore on this last tour through North America. No band's ever made me wanna headbang harder than them.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Brodd
    Petty Officer

by Brodd » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:00 pm

Oh yeah, thats right. I'd forgot all about that they were on tour with Nevermore. There is always a good atmosphere when they play, but I liked them better when they had their original lead singer, Jacob Bredahl.
    "Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl og for penge
    Og hvis vi ingen penge får
    Og ingen øl ligeså
    Så må i kæmpe kampen uden os!"
    Skål!

70K 2011, Barge to Hell, 70K 2015
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Bands I'm listening to now that I wasn't a year ago:

Hate - Polish Death Metal with some slight electronic elements. They kicked ass opening for Hypocrisy. Glad they're coming back to the states on the Rotting Christ tour.
    Entrails - Old School Swedish Death Metal. Songs from their "Debut" released in 2010 were all written back in the early 90's.
    Kvelertak - Blending of Punk, Rock & Roll, & Black Metal. They do this mix of genres better than anyone I've heard yet. Happy tunes!
    Pathology - Brutal Death Metal. Old Locust / Cattle Decapitation Drummer, Dave Astor's band. Gurgle gurgle vocals & no pig squeals.
    Karma to Burn - (Mostly) Instrumental Heavy Stoner Jams from Appalachia.
    Demolition Hammer - Long defunct Thrash band from around 1990
    Danko Jones - Rock & Roll from Canada
    Black Breath - Seattle, WA Hardcore Band steals the old school Swedish Death Metal guitar tone.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Brodd wrote:Oh yeah, thats right. I'd forgot all about that they were on tour with Nevermore. There is always a good atmosphere when they play, but I liked them better when they had their original lead singer, Jacob Bredahl.

Yeah, that was the first I heard of them so I didn't have it "ruined" for me by changing singers as apparently happens to a lot of people with bands like Nightwish. I like old and new just the same.

Bentz! wrote:Danko Jones - Rock & Roll from Canada

Gotta say, not a fan at all of Danko Jones. I saw them open for Nickelback a while ago back when I had a bad taste in music and even then I didn't like it. Have they gotten any better the last couple of years?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:Danko Jones - Rock & Roll from Canada

Gotta say, not a fan at all of Danko Jones. I saw them open for Nickelback a while ago back when I had a bad taste in music and even then I didn't like it. Have they gotten any better the last couple of years?

I have no idea how they sound now to how they used to sound. To me, they just do catchy, clean rock. Nothing all that great, but I enjoy it as a change in pace from the extreme metal stuff.
    I still prefer higher octane stuff, like Adam West for my rock&roll fix, but Adam West wasn't new to me in 2010.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 pm

Maybe I'll give them another chance. The only specific thing I remember from them is "do you do it on the first date?" which I remember being awful.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:25 pm

A few bands I've discovered thanks to 70000 Tons that I now really like:

Sabaton, Korpakilaani, Tyr, Finntroll

Other 'new' bands that I've discovered over the last 12 monts:

Jaldaboath, Thaurorod, Thy Majestie
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Bands that I've discovered within the last 12 months 70000 Tons or otherwise:

Cripper
    Unleashed
    Before The Dawn
    Finntroll
    Tyr
    Destruction
    Grave
    Hypocrisy
    Ikuinen Kaamos
    This Ending

There's probably a few more that I've forgotten
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Tyr
    Mithras
    Thyrfing
    Agent Steel
    HOODED MENACE
    Majestic Downfall
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:58 pm

KevinP wrote:Tyr

Nice! Glad you like 'em!

The bands that I saw at Wacken who were new to me and who I really enjoyed were Delain, W.A.S.P., Overkill, Varg, Corvus Corax, and Amorphis. The cruise bands who were new to me and who I especially like so far are Nevermore, Unleashed, Destruction, Sodom, and Moonspell.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Holy Grail (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Other than that, I'm pretty set in my ways and haven't listened to anything new in the past year.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Holy Grail (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Other than that, I'm pretty set in my ways and haven't listened to anything new in the past year.

yeah man, I ordered that CD from some dude in South America right after we saw 'em. You just reminded me it hasn't shown up yet. Might have to recruit Zeh to do some collections work for me... :evil:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:30 pm

tyrwoman wrote:

Nice! Glad you like 'em!

The bands that I saw at Wacken who were new to me and who I really enjoyed were Delain, W.A.S.P., Overkill, Varg, Corvus Corax, and Amorphis. The cruise bands who were new to me and who I especially like so far are Nevermore, Unleashed, Destruction, Sodom, and Moonspell.

You knew this already as I told you months ago. :mrgreen: Also, I can't remember which album it was, but it had Hold The Hammer High, and it sounded like a demo version of it, one of the last songs on the disc. Peoudction was kinda crappy for a TYR song. Either way, I don't particullary care for that song. I like the faster more upbeat numbers, especially the lead track of the last album.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:Holy Grail (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

yeah man, I ordered that CD from some dude in South America right after we saw 'em. You just reminded me it hasn't shown up yet. Might have to recruit Zeh to do some collections work for me... :evil:

Got mine within a couple of days :D I went through the standard channels (Amazon)

Here's 5 I can think of that I heard within the past year or so.

Holy Grail
    Sabaton
    Killing Touch
    Winterfylleth
    Watain
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

I've actually been speaking with James, the ex-guitarist of Holy Grail. Looks like he just quit the band. He told me he hadn't even heard of 70000Tons, I was so sad.

I've nearly finished a tab for their song 'Call of Valhalla' (vocals, guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, everything) and was just missing the end of the solo, so he sent me a message about the solo and now I feel like a douche:

I said: "That is excellent. I have no idea why I just can't figure out that little section, it's very, very impressive playing.
    I can't wait to see you guys again (I think the Eluveitie show is the next one around this area?). I wish they could've found some way to get you on the 70000Tons of Metal cruise (www.70000tons.com), it looks to be a great time."

He said: "Ha, never heard of that cruise, but I been watching youtube vids of smooth jazz cruises because they're funny. I can only imagine the stage banter on a metal cruise.
    Not sure about the next tour dates, as I left Holy Grail recently. But I do know that Eluveitie and 3 inches of Blood are the other bands on that tour. I've toured with both of those bands before and they're all really cool people.
    The very last part of that solo is a bunch of Paul Gilbert 3-note-per-string stuff into an arpeggio played in several inversions moving up the neck. I'm definitely rusty on it. But I remember it. Haven't played it in months. The EP version is a little different than the album version towards the end there.
    I'll try to get the videos up ASAP."

Now I might just try to start jamming with him. Hmmmmmmmmm. . .
    AlabastRDisastR
    Petty Officer

by AlabastRDisastR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:26 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Warbringer, lately. And I saw Blood Red Throne a few weeks ago with Enslaved & Dimmu. I've been listening to them, as well.
    D E C K 6
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Can't think of much off the top of my head, I may come back with more later but here goes:

Agalloch
    Thulcandra
    Watain
    After the Burial
    OvHell
    Misery Index

ok, so more just popped into my head!, this is a good list...

The main 2 I'm excited about are:
    Agalloch -amazing!
    After the Burial - will make you headbang until your head falls off, full of starts and stops, if you like Meshuggah, you will like these guys

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:28 am

Ecliptica wrote:I've actually been speaking with James, the ex-guitarist of Holy Grail. Looks like he just quit the band. He told me he hadn't even heard of 70000Tons, I was so sad.

I've nearly finished a tab for their song 'Call of Valhalla' (vocals, guitar, drums, bass, keyboards, everything) and was just missing the end of the solo, so he sent me a message about the solo and now I feel like a douche:

I said: "That is excellent. I have no idea why I just can't figure out that little section, it's very, very impressive playing.
    I can't wait to see you guys again (I think the Eluveitie show is the next one around this area?). I wish they could've found some way to get you on the 70000Tons of Metal cruise (http://www.70000tons.com), it looks to be a great time."

He said: "Ha, never heard of that cruise, but I been watching youtube vids of smooth jazz cruises because they're funny. I can only imagine the stage banter on a metal cruise.
    Not sure about the next tour dates, as I left Holy Grail recently. But I do know that Eluveitie and 3 inches of Blood are the other bands on that tour. I've toured with both of those bands before and they're all really cool people.
    The very last part of that solo is a bunch of Paul Gilbert 3-note-per-string stuff into an arpeggio played in several inversions moving up the neck. I'm definitely rusty on it. But I remember it. Haven't played it in months. The EP version is a little different than the album version towards the end there.

I've seen the dudes from Holygrail around ameoba alot - also white wizzard. Theyre very easy to spot as their alwasy wearing white wizzard shirts :lol:

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 am

Ecliptica wrote:I've actually been speaking with James, the ex-guitarist of Holy Grail. Looks like he just quit the band. He told me he hadn't even heard of 70000Tons, I was so sad.

I can't wait to see you guys again (I think the Eluveitie show is the next one around this area?). I wish they could've found some way to get you on the 70000Tons of Metal cruise (http://www.70000tons.com), it looks to be a great time."

Call of Valhalla was the song that made me really start paying attention when we saw them. Great tune, now where the hell is my CD!? :evil:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:42 am

Disaster Area wrote:

Call of Valhalla was the song that made me really start paying attention when we saw them. Great tune, now where the hell is my CD!? :evil:

By far your most eloquent post to date Craig! Well done! :beerwink:

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Disaster Area wrote:

By far your most eloquent post to date Craig! Well done! :beerwink:

Haha, swing and a misssss...

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    sansebastian1190
    Oiler

by sansebastian1190 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm

I just heard Holy Grail a few days ago, pretty awesome.
  • RevWhite
    Oiler

by RevWhite » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:55 am

Unleashed
    Holy Grail
    Powerglove
    Buzzoven

I can't get enough of Powerglove and Buzzoven.
    Cabin #3573
  • RevWhite
    Oiler

by RevWhite » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 am

sansebastian1190 wrote:I just heard Holy Grail a few days ago, pretty awesome.

Holy Grail puts on a great show as well. They blew my socks off when I saw them.
    Cabin #3573
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Favorite new bands due to the cruise and reseaching via youtube
    Epica started it all.
    Nightwish
    Avanstasia
    Within Temptation
    Iced Earth
    Hammerfall
    Stratovarius
    Edguy
    I have bought a lot of new music from some of the bands on the criuse and some that are within the same genre. None of these bands get any air play in Minnesota. It is really sad.
  • Davina
    Crewman

by Davina » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:06 am

tyrwoman wrote:

Nice! Glad you like 'em!

I love W.A.S.P, saw them at HRH '09 and Magic Circle '08.

I never used to listen to any Death Metal but a friend gave me Human and Symbolic by Death and I've listened to them quite a lot in the car. I saw Cannibal Corpse for the first time last summer and I really enjoyed their performance.
    Cabin 5565 \m/
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:16 pm

SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Element0s wrote:VOLTAX

METAL FROM MEXICO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdN5Vq1k ... re=related

Damn! They should come entertain us in Cozumel!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:26 pm

METAL FROM MEXICO!

Woah! nice suggestion! reminds me a LOT of this one from Loudness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpGwDcKi3a0&feature=related

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Disaster Area wrote:

METAL FROM MEXICO!

Woah! nice suggestion! reminds me a LOT of this one from Loudness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpGwDcKi3a0&feature=related

:lol: :lol:

zummazumma
    Petty Officer

by zummazumma » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 am

My new favs are:
    Fear Factory
    &
    Testament

Can't stop listening to them now. Someone, please help me...
    zummazumma
    Petty Officer

by zummazumma » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:39 am

Michael D. wrote: None of these bands get any air play in Minnesota. It is really sad.

And they never will. I've been wondering why.... Is it because of advertising/sponsors - you see, you can't sell Viagra to metal heads . . . there's no market there...
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:40 am

Can't help ya with the Testament situation. Have yet to wake without Raging Waters running through my brain. That and Nobody's Fault even though they never played it. Wish they had. I know it's a cover but it's got a place in my musical heart.

As for FF, I recommend more Testament :cheers:

Post Reply 52 posts