Post Reply 16 posts Page 1 of 1
Scorpions- Sting in the Tail
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

Scorpions- Sting in the Tail

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm

:(

How sad. It sounds like old re-hashed arena rock. I thought they were going out in a blaze of glory? One of my favorite bands and 2004's "Unbreakable" is just so bloody excellent. This album fails on so many levels. I think there are 2 songs that I like on it......... the title track is probably the worst song ever written by them save for "Winds of Change" :?

I hope this grows on me. But i am pretty let down by the initial few listens i have given it.

Still, they should end their career on a high note and headline 70000 Tons of Metal Cruise! ;)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Scorpions- Sting in the Tail

by Zeh » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm not "THAT" Scorpions fan, but I wan't to attend to most attractions I can on the cruise.

Either way I do respect them by all the history and fans they have. Sometimes a goodbye tour can be just that, without a goodbye album. Unless the album is really good.
    -----------------
    Zeh
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:04 pm

That is how UFO's latest album made me feel... disappointed.

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:23 pm

god i have not heard anything by UFO in 20 years. Love them though..........I wish I would have gone to see them when they rolled through Seattle but it was 50 bucks!
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:god i have not heard anything by UFO in 20 years. Love them though..........I wish I would have gone to see them when they rolled through Seattle but it was 50 bucks!

When talking about "The Visitor" album in particular, this is sadly a good thing, at least to my ears.

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    Dark Dreams
    Petty Officer

by Dark Dreams » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Scorpions are done.

I love the old stuff but anything after Love At First Sting sucks balls.
    bestialbekah
    Crewman

by bestialbekah » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:42 am

I'm surprised Scott!! :ugeek:

I was actually kind of impressed with the new album. Only have heard the first 5 or 6 tracks or so but I enjoyed it.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 am

What surprises me is that he likes Unbreakable so much more than Sting In The Tail. They don't seem that far removed from each other to me. Typical late career Scorps with WAY too much Klaus and thick vocal harmonies and FAR too little amazing guitar work from Rudy and Mats. Sure hope the only way they make the cruise is if they're excited to get back to their roots by sharing stage with Uli or even Michael. Stuff like this just makes me long for some heavy metal version of a hot tub time machine.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:46 pm

I give it 6/10 Flaming Metal Skulls..

Well sorry guys, I guess I was expecting to get happy in my pants like I did with the new fucking RAVEN

WAAAAAAAAAALK THROUGH FIREEEEEEEe
    ONLY WAY TO BURNNNNNNNNNNNnn
    NEVER GONNA LEAAAAAAAARN
    WALK THROUGH FIREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

10/10 FLAMING METAL SKULLS!

Side note-

I got my ticket for Scorpions/Dokken (No Cinderella) on Saturday August 7th. Its at a fair. :lol: I reserved an executive king suite with fridge and microwave. Will be a fun mini vacation.

And I am looking forward to the Raven show this fall in Seattle!!!!!!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:47 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:And I am looking forward to the Raven show this fall in Seattle!!!!!!!

They'll be here the night after that. Don't leave them completely wiped out k?

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:35 pm

I wasn't that much into Scorpions until "Humanity Hour I" blew me away
    the first time I listened to "Sting in the Tail" I was somewhat disappointed - I missed Desmond Child's influence
    but the album grew quickly on me and now I love it almost as much
    the Scorpions and Mark Knopfler are probably the only ones able to write unspectacular songs that never get boring
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Hour I is definitely my favourite album by them. Sting in the Tail is definitely a monument to why they are calling it quits. THEY ARE OUT OF MATERIAL. Apart from that I actually enjoyed most of the album, they are all rocking songs save a couple if you can get past the unoriginality of them. I was livid when they didn't play a single song off of album one when I saw them in August. Really hoping I'll get another chance to see them and that they'll play some more Hour I stuff. 70000 Tons or Wacken would make me happy.

OH and excuse me Tom Cruise...how could you possibly say that Wind of Change is the worst song ever written by them? I'm not flaming you just curious and morbidly shocked that anyone would make this claim.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:00 pm

I have little hope for Wacken - but I'll definitely want to see'em once again
    the only time has been Wacken a few years ago - at a time I wasn't really into the Scorpions
    I knew and liked a few tracks...but that was all...
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I love the Sting in The Tail album. I thinkits their best work since their prime period and the songs sounded really good live. Personally, I think they are going out on top.

For the poster above who didnt care for the new UFO album, I agree with that one. They are still great live with Vinnie but havent had a meaningful release since the great Michael Schenker left the band (their reunion albums were also Meh). If he didnt have his drug and other problems they coudl have been one of the best bands ever.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 am

Stained Class wrote:OH and excuse me Tom Cruise...how could you possibly say that Wind of Change is the worst song ever written by them? I'm not flaming you just curious and morbidly shocked that anyone would make this claim.

I guess I'm with Tom on the whole Winds of Change thing.

These guys put out decades of ballsy, creative, original rock/metal and their ballads (like Crying Days, In Your Park, Is There Anybody There, Lady Starlight, Coming Home, Holiday, When The Smoke..., Still Loving You, Fly To The Rainbow and many more) were powerfully moving, thought and soul stirring pieces of guitar, vocal and lyircal genius.

Winds of Change, while a decent ballad , just seemed and sounded like a weak and cheesy attempt to grab the attention of a wider pop-entranced audience. Reminds me of those songs where the crowd all have their hands in the air and sway slowly from side to side in a big love-fest. The lighter and more boring, verging on glam metal side of the Scorps' spectrum for me.

All that being said, I'd take that over what 1000's of other bands have to offer cuz Scorpions kick ass and I fucking hate that I'll never get to see them :evil:

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:52 am

I suppose thats a good point, I'm a sucker for that song though. However, songs like "Loving You Sunday Morning" and "Over The Top" bore me to tears.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
Post Reply 16 posts Page 1 of 1