Post Reply 201 posts
Metal Festivals in the Summer
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Metal Festivals in the Summer

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:01 am

Great thanks for the tips and suggestions!

Yeah I will try to take pictures with my little canon sure shot. my roomate shiloh has a photo pass and so she will be shooting with her pro camera.

And I was told that my press pass gained me entrance to the conference. :)

Stoked

Take Care and see ya tomorrow most likely!

Scott
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:19 am

Hope you're having a great time Scott. Throw a few fists in the air during the Viathyn set for us all will ya? :headbanger:

My long time partying/rippin n' runnin' buddy Mike can't come on the cruise due to, ummm, border issues. The recent band announcements have sort of sent him over the edge and he's now bound and determined to get his ass to a real metal fest.

On the phone this morning, we agreed that we're gonna do what we can to make plans to go to Wacken (or maybe Hellfest or some comparable event) in 2011. Thing is, my financial situation has taken a huge slide lately and I know I'm gonna be lickin' my wounds when I return from our cruise AND that I'm gonna wanna save up for 70K 2.0 so I'm gonna really have to find the absolute cheapest way of putting that trip together or I'll end up driving the bastard to the airport and kicking myself all the way home.

So, I was hoping a couple of you festival vets like Tom, Laura and Peter could give me some tips on how to do Wacken on a sphincter tight budget. Pretty sure I can do the flight details rather simply on this end but am wondering more about cost of admission and food and camping etc. What would you say is a rough estimate for total cost once one arrives in Germany? I don't need exact numbers or anything but just the low end of a ballpark figure. That and any other tips, info or logical links would kick ass!

So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:29 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Hope you're having a great time Scott. Throw a few fists in the air during the Viathyn set for us all will ya? :headbanger:

My long time partying/rippin n' runnin' buddy Mike can't come on the cruise due to, ummm, border issues. The recent band announcements have sort of sent him over the edge and he's now bound and determined to get his ass to a real metal fest.

On the phone this morning, we agreed that we're gonna do what we can to make plans to go to Wacken (or maybe Hellfest or some comparable event) in 2011. Thing is, my financial situation has taken a huge slide lately and I know I'm gonna be lickin' my wounds when I return from our cruise AND that I'm gonna wanna save up for 70K 2.0 so I'm gonna really have to find the absolute cheapest way of putting that trip together or I'll end up driving the bastard to the airport and kicking myself all the way home.

So, I was hoping a couple of you festival vets like Tom, Laura and Peter could give me some tips on how to do Wacken on a sphincter tight budget. Pretty sure I can do the flight details rather simply on this end but am wondering more about cost of admission and food and camping etc. What would you say is a rough estimate for total cost once one arrives in Germany? I don't need exact numbers or anything but just the low end of a ballpark figure. That and any other tips, info or logical links would kick ass!

I wanna go tooooooo!!!......but no camping for me thanx :beerwink:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:32 am

debborah1 wrote:I wanna go tooooooo!!!......but no camping for me thanx :beerwink:

I don't suspect many of these huge festivals have princess hotels nearby hon... c'mon n' rough it baby!! :beerwink:

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 am

bloody hell - there are a ton of threads I'd love to post on at length right now (including this one) - great conversations all over this forum lately. :cheers: But...yikes, if I don't buckle down and get some work done around here - I'll be in deep librarian doo-doo methinks :twisted: . Anywaaaay - ShoreSlayer - you know I always LOVE talking about Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, and more Wacken... so I'll write a full response to your question later. Also - awesome post about Ministry on the non-metal music thread - want to respond to that and add my Roger Waters review there as well. :beerwink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:45 pm

tyrwoman wrote:bloody hell - there are a ton of threads I'd love to post on at length right now (including this one) - great conversations all over this forum lately. :cheers: But...yikes, if I don't buckle down and get some work done around here - I'll be in deep librarian doo-doo methinks :twisted: . Anywaaaay - ShoreSlayer - you know I always LOVE talking about Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, Wacken, and more Wacken... so I'll write a full response to your question later. Also - awesome post about Ministry on the non-metal music thread - want to respond to that and add my Roger Waters review there as well. :beerwink:

Haha... clearly, no rush. Enjoy your Friday night!! :headbanger:

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:37 pm

HI FROM CANADA, THE LAND THAT I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEe

I am having a KICK ASS time here.

Jake and Jeff fucking RULE. Got plenty of pictures to share, the people pics are on Jake's Camera.

My friend Chris from Edmonton proposed to his long time g/f Lindy last night on stage after Rotten Sound played the first song. Rotten Sound are Lindy's fave band and she is just fan girl over them. I video taped the proposal and will be uploading it to you tube in a day or two

Viathyn- Fuck! Jake is a MASTER SHREDDER. I am not kidding folks. Even though there was a cut out here or there during the set, they played for a good solid 30 minutes or so. I was hoping for a longer set! After they played Jake bought me a tall boy pilsner at the beer garden. I met and partied with Striker from Edmonton yesterday, got my pic with the whole group. They gave me a CD too! Very nice guys. Canadian people are AWESOME. Super friendly!

The metal conference was wicked as well. I only took a 1 hour break from it. Sam Dunn (Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Global Metal, Flight 666: Iron Maiden and Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage) spoke as did Tom Angelripper of Sodom. I got my pic with Sam as well. :) Well during the photography workshop/session, I had my blackberry shut off to avoid any high roaming fees, so after it was done I turned it on and had a missed call and voice mail. It was the District Manager for the company I with on Tuesday. She said she wanted to go over the open position that I interviewed with. I tried to call her back and she had left for the day I guess as it went to her voice mail. I left her a message and said that I was sorry i missed her call and would be available first thing Monday. :) I am wondering what she wanted? I interviewed with the Assistant District Manager, she is his actual boss! Maybe to 2nd interview me? I was hoping it was to offer me the job.

Ok, going to shower, grab a bite and then head over to UOC for the final night of the festival! Looking forward to Sodom, The Devil's Blood, Metalsoll and Striker!!!!! And Divinity and Midnight as well........

Cheers from Canada

Scott

P.S. Jake and I have the same kind of hair. hahahahaha damn natural curls! :death:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:22 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:HI FROM CANADA, THE LAND THAT I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEe

I am having a KICK ASS time here.

Jake and Jeff fucking RULE. Got plenty of pictures to share, the people pics are on Jake's Camera.

My friend Chris from Edmonton proposed to his long time g/f Lindy last night on stage after Rotten Sound played the first song. Rotten Sound are Lindy's fave band and she is just fan girl over them. I video taped the proposal and will be uploading it to you tube in a day or two

Viathyn- Fuck! Jake is a MASTER SHREDDER. I am not kidding folks. Even though there was a cut out here or there during the set, they played for a good solid 30 minutes or so. I was hoping for a longer set! After they played Jake bought me a tall boy pilsner at the beer garden. I met and partied with Striker from Edmonton yesterday, got my pic with the whole group. They gave me a CD too! Very nice guys. Canadian people are AWESOME. Super friendly!

The metal conference was wicked as well. I only took a 1 hour break from it. Sam Dunn (Metal: A Headbangers Journey, Global Metal, Flight 666: Iron Maiden and Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage) spoke as did Tom Angelripper of Sodom. I got my pic with Sam as well. :) Well during the photography workshop/session, I had my blackberry shut off to avoid any high roaming fees, so after it was done I turned it on and had a missed call and voice mail. It was the District Manager for the company I with on Tuesday. She said she wanted to go over the open position that I interviewed with. I tried to call her back and she had left for the day I guess as it went to her voice mail. I left her a message and said that I was sorry i missed her call and would be available first thing Monday. :) I am wondering what she wanted? I interviewed with the Assistant District Manager, she is his actual boss! Maybe to 2nd interview me? I was hoping it was to offer me the job.

Ok, going to shower, grab a bite and then head over to UOC for the final night of the festival! Looking forward to Sodom, The Devil's Blood, Metalsoll and Striker!!!!! And Divinity and Midnight as well........

Cheers from Canada

Scott

P.S. Jake and I have the same kind of hair. hahahahaha damn natural curls! :death:

Wow Scott...thanks for sharing ...I knew you were gonna have a kickass time with Jake & Jeff!!......And How awesome about them calling you back for a possible second interview!!! WEll GOOD LUCK SCOTT! I hope it pans out to be somthing good for you! You deserve it! :D :cool: :headbanger:
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 pm

THANK YOU luv

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Offered it to me this morning. Just printed and filled out all the documents to take to them tomorrow. In the offer letter it said my hours are M-F 8 to 4 and that i start earning PTO/Vacation right away but I cannot use it until the 90 day trial period is up. It looks like the gods of Valhalla are shining their lights down upon me, because I will be getting paid for the cruise now. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Where are J and J? :lol:

Maybe Jake does not want to post those pictures. hehehehe.

I got trashed the day before the festival (thursday night) and then I got trashed Saturday night at the after party bash at the Ramada conference floor. It was for Band, Press, Crew only and there were 20 pizzas as well as a keg on ice and a full bar (serve yourself. I had 5 shots of Jagermeister and 6 double capt morgan and cokes. The drummer of Sodom "Bobby" and I are brothers from another mother. That dude is a RIOT :D

Gotta finish my review of Hole in the Sky and bang out my review of Noctis this afternoon, locking myself away with some Oregon winter ales and just going to do it.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:00 pm

WOOO HOOOOO AWESOME!!!! NOT ONLY DID YOU GET A JOB....BUT UR BEING PAID TO HANG OUT WITH US!..... :cheers: :beerwink:
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:20 pm

And I will have a job and can get drunk on the boat and run 1,000 per day bar tabs.

THE KEGGGGGGGGGGGGG THAT CRUSHED

NEW YORKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

METALHEADS
    METALHEADS
    DRINGING BEER AND BREAKING SHIT!

(REPEAT)

:party: :party: :party:

We need Striker, Viathyn and Tankard and Destruction on board.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Scott dude, it was an absolute BLAST having you up for the festival... the beer garden.... the after-party...

Holy crap. This whole festival experience was one I won't be forgetting anytime soon. Very eye-opening and a ton of fun. Got to live the rock-star lifestyle for a weekend... enjoying the free swag backstage...all access pass for the whole festival... a ridiculous afterparty (life-shortening experience on that one..)

I'll be posting some bro-mance pics of Scott and I with Jeff in a bit here!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm

By the way Scott... UBER CONGRATS ON THE JOB!
    :shred:

Please check out my band

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Dude thank you! It was so much fun living like stars and press. Therese takes care of her family. That is what Noctis was like to me. a Family Reunion. The Cruise will be AWESOME

I had a good day at work. The dude training me "Marcus" is a metalhead. has a little pony tail, he is 28 and had Testament, Goijra (sp) and Dream Theater playing while he trained me. After I am trained I am working by myself at Swedish Medical Center- Downtown Seattle for Iod incorporated. Processing those electronic medical records. Tomorrow would have been my 6 month anniversary since I got laid off. I am happy I was able to stay in the medical field. It so happens that in Washington that is about the only industry hiring right now.

Hope I can talk em into letting me take a week off for the cruise. I have not broke it to them yet.

I have 49 pictures from the Noctis IV fest up on my FB and am starting to review my ass off right now
    :heavydrink:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:34 am

viathyn wrote:Scott dude, it was an absolute BLAST having you up for the festival... the beer garden.... the after-party...

Holy crap. This whole festival experience was one I won't be forgetting anytime soon. Very eye-opening and a ton of fun. Got to live the rock-star lifestyle for a weekend... enjoying the free swag backstage...all access pass for the whole festival... a ridiculous afterparty (life-shortening experience on that one..)

I'll be posting some bro-mance pics of Scott and I with Jeff in a bit here!

pic's! pic's! pics!! :headbanger: :beerwink:
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:15 pm

:lol: Its a slow process.

I just finished my Hole in the Sky review and its posted at my webzine! Feel free to register and comment and post at my dead forum. lol I need help bringing my site to life and I need Hits!

http://blizzardbeast.com/live-reviews/8 ... orway.html
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:11 am

TOM CRUISE wrote::lol: Its a slow process.

I just finished my Hole in the Sky review and its posted at my webzine! Feel free to register and comment and post at my dead forum. lol I need help bringing my site to life and I need Hits!

http://blizzardbeast.com/live-reviews/8 ... orway.html

.......okay done....all signed up ;)
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Corrosion of Conformity confirmed for Maryland Deathfest :headbanger:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:38 pm

onenight wrote:Corrosion of Conformity confirmed for Maryland Deathfest :headbanger:

Wonder if Pepper will be back with 'em by then. Rumour has it he's gonna come back for a tour or album (or both) but the others are carrying on without him until he's available. I sure hope it all comes together for at least the 3 piece incarnation enough to get a full North American tour up n' runnin.

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:27 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Hope you're having a great time Scott. Throw a few fists in the air during the Viathyn set for us all will ya? :headbanger:

Hey ShoreSlayer,
    You knew I was going to answer this eventually because I LOVE talking about Wacken, so here’s my (more than) 2 cents!

First, you asked about cost. Well, when I’m thinking about a place I want to go and the costs involved, I consider several major cost categories – airfare, lodging, ground transportation, activities, food & beverage, and souvenirs I may want to buy. Here are my comments on those categories as they relate to my Wacken experience.

1. ACTIVITIES / LODGING: I’m putting this first because the key in this case is the WACKEN TICKET itself. I just checked the Wacken site and the price of the Wacken 2011 ticket is 130 Euro ($179 USD). 130 Euro was also the price of my 2009 and 2010 tickets – a real bargain in my opinion!!! Wacken has sold out well before the festival the past few years, so if you’re interested in going, don’t wait too long to buy a ticket. In fact, the guy my friend and I met at an Amon Amarth show in Chicago in the Fall of 2008 (and who INSISTED we go to Wacken!), recommended we just go ahead and buy our 2009 ticket right away and then work out the details later. (we bought our tickets the very next morning!) The ticket info and what it includes is here: http://www.metaltix.com/item_detail.php?item_nr=26891 Note: The price of the ticket includes the camping (lodging) part!! I’m assuming you want to camp, so I won’t go into hotel info (for the record, I stayed in a hotel both years)

2. AIRFARE: This was by far the biggest single bite of my trip budget considering I’m from Chicago. To boot, I added on a post-Wacken 2009 trip to Stockholm and a pre-Wacken 2010 trip to Oslo which added more flights and more cost. In 2009, my total airfare was $1306.10 (including all those high taxes!) and in 2010 it was $1480.40. A friend of mine from Detroit paid around $1000 for a simple Detroit-Hamburg round trip for Wacken 2010. I just did a quick check on expedia.com for Vancouver-Hamburg round trip for the Wacken 2011 dates and the results were well over $1500 – ouch!

3. FOOD & BEVERAGE: If you camp, you can bring in your own food & beverage to consume at the campsite (I stayed in a great little hotel in Itzehoe, so I have no further comment or opinion about camping/eating at campsites) Otherwise, I think the prices of food & beverage on the festival grounds are quite reasonable. Lol – I mentioned somewhere else that I love sausages – bratwurst in particular – so I think I ate a bratwurst every day there – and it maybe cost around $5. Btw, I thought the best food was in the Wackinger (medieval Wacken) area. As far as drinks go, I think the beers were the equivalent of about $4 or $5 (don’t have an exact amount at the moment because I don’t remember the exact euro price and USD conversion). Beer and a few random cokes is primarily what I drank, although I did go for the more expensive vodka red bulls late in the evening to stay awake (on Friday and Saturday – the last band goes on from 2:00-3:00 am – on Friday this year at 2:00 am I saw Corvus Corax and on Saturday U.D.O.)

4. GROUND TRANSPORTATION: From Hamburg airport, I took a train to the Hamburg Hauptbahnhof and then took a different train to Itzehoe where my hotel was. There was no direct train from the airport to Itzehoe, but the 2 trains together cost about $15 - not bad. There were a ton of Wacken camping folk with me on that train from the Hauptbahnhof to Itzehoe – all of them then took a continuously running shuttle bus from the Itzehoe train station to Wacken. Since I shuttled back and forth between Itzehoe and Wacken for 4 straight days (including a pre-festival day on Wednesday) I paid about $10 for a shuttle bus ticket that was good for all four days – what a bargain!!

5. SOUVENIRS: I could have spent an absolute fortune (which I don’t have!) on stuff at Wacken between the main Metal Market, Wacken merch, and the Wackinger village vendors. I didn’t buy very much, but what I got, I’m very happy with: two Wacken shirts (one with all the bands, and one that highlights August 5 “A Night to Remember” with Iron Maiden, Alice Cooper, etc.), one Immortal shirt with the 2010 summer festival dates on the back (the shirts were about $25-$30 each I think), one unusual Thor’s hammer necklace (that makes 7 in my collection!), and one black leather wristband with a tooled Thor’s hammer.

So, that was my Wacken logistics/cost experience. I'm sure others like Scott have additional comments, etc., especially the camping part.
    :headbanger: Wacken! :headbanger: Wacken! :headbanger: Wacken! :headbanger:

So, did you buy your ticket yet? ;) :headbanger:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Awesome info Laura!! Really great write up! Thanks a lot :headbanger:

Yeah, looks like affording airfare will be the big challenge. Gonna have to check the budget once I return from the cruise. Hopefully I can get off my butt and start tutoring some students soon and that will make all the difference.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:23 am

onenight wrote:Corrosion of Conformity confirmed for Maryland Deathfest :headbanger:

They're on the roster for THIS too but you'd have to be a pretty big punk fan or a diehard C.O.C and/or High On Fire fan to bother going.

onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:02 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:

They're on the roster for THIS too but you'd have to be a pretty big punk fan or a diehard C.O.C and/or High On Fire fan to bother going.

I know I seen that one too. That's one show I can do without. And who the hell names their band Toothpaste? How fucking stupid.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:01 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Awesome info Laura!! Really great write up! Thanks a lot :headbanger:

Yeah, looks like affording airfare will be the big challenge. Gonna have to check the budget once I return from the cruise. Hopefully I can get off my butt and start tutoring some students soon and that will make all the difference.

Hey, no problem! I enjoyed writing it ;) . And, you are quite welcome, sir.

Here's a funny....on the FYI thread Deb mentioned that if you enter the word "fart" in the forum search box (yes, she said fart :lol: :lol: ), you get a lot of funny posts. So, I thought to myself, I'll type in WACKEN in the search box and see what I get. This is the message that comes up:

The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: wacken.

I'm sure I'm partly responsible for overloading the system on that word :lol:

Wacken! :headbanger:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:06 pm

tyrwoman wrote:I'm sure I'm partly responsible for overloading the system on that word :lol:

No kidding... I'm surprised no one's dubbed ya WackenWoman yet :cheers:

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:46 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:I'm sure I'm partly responsible for overloading the system on that word :lol:

dang! WackenWoman - I like it! Too bad I didn't think of it when I signed on back in May! Maybe I'll pm Allison and see if she can change my user name to that :P (cuz as far as I can tell, it's not possible to change it on the profile page)
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:So, I was hoping a couple of you festival vets like Tom, Laura and Peter could give me some tips on how to do Wacken on a sphincter tight budget. Pretty sure I can do the flight details rather simply on this end but am wondering more about cost of admission and food and camping etc. What would you say is a rough estimate for total cost once one arrives in Germany? I don't need exact numbers or anything but just the low end of a ballpark figure. That and any other tips, info or logical links would kick ass!

I do not like Wacken anymore but it can be done relatively cheap, if you take a bus out to the festival site and camp. I do not like Camping at fests anymore. I like hotels. that is why I go to Hole in the Sky, Inferno (stay in a house in Oslo) and Noctis in Calgary. Wacken just got trendy to me with everyone and their mother going. I went 6 times and it was enough for me.

Good luck! It would not hurt to sign up at the Wacken Open Air festival site's forum and make friends, you might even make friends that will help you out like give you a lift from the airport and maybe let you stay with them. Also couchsurfing.com, net, or org whatever it is, is pretty good :mrgreen:
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:16 pm

tyrwoman wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:

dang! WackenWoman - I like it! Too bad I didn't think of it when I signed on back in May! Maybe I'll pm Allison and see if she can change my user name to that :P (cuz as far as I can tell, it's not possible to change it on the profile page)

No, change it to ImmortalWoman! Tyr got booked when you signed up before! LOL :P
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:30 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:I do not like Wacken anymore but it can be done relatively cheap, if you take a bus out to the festival site and camp. I do not like Camping at fests anymore. I like hotels. that is why I go to Hole in the Sky, Inferno (stay in a house in Oslo) and Noctis in Calgary. Wacken just got trendy to me with everyone and their mother going. I went 6 times and it was enough for me.

Good luck! It would not hurt to sign up at the Wacken Open Air festival site's forum and make friends, you might even make friends that will help you out like give you a lift from the airport and maybe let you stay with them. Also couchsurfing.com, net, or org whatever it is, is pretty good :mrgreen:

Cool! Thanks Scott. Yeah, from all I've heard hear this year from the festival veterans, it really seems like I missed out on what Wacken 'was' and will have to settle for what it's become. That being said, it still feels sort of like a bucket list kind of thing that I do hope to scratch off the list eventually. Nice to know that the ticket price and all aren't all that steep. Now to just get my financial reality in order so I can afford the airfare. ugh... I mean... whoohoo!! :cheers:

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:07 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:
    No, change it to ImmortalWoman! Tyr got booked when you signed up before! LOL :P

I'm hoping my Immortal logo avatar will do the trick. :P
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:32 am

Sorry about the delays on the pics scott... I'm thinking I'll have noctis group shots up in the next few days!

(combination of laziness and school and sheeeeeit... my apologies! haha)

Please check out my band

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:44 am

viathyn wrote:Sorry about the delays on the pics scott... I'm thinking I'll have noctis group shots up in the next few days!

(combination of laziness and school and sheeeeeit... my apologies! haha)

No excuse! Get on it you slacker Canuck!! :P

Le G@SP
    Oiler

by Le G@SP » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:29 am

This summer I'll be for sure @ SONISPHERE in France, HELLFEST in France, ROCK HARD in germany, BANG YOUR HEAD in Germany and maybe @ GRASPOP in Belgium and other SONISPHERE festivals in Europe

Last year I was @ ROCK HARD in Germany, DOWNLOAD in UK, SONISPHERE in Poland, HELLFEST in France, SONISPHERE in Romania, BANG YOUR HEAD and WACKEN in Germany :death:
    Shiver
    Crewman

by Shiver » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:44 am

Bang your Head Germany, because I live nearby

Maybe Rockhard Festival
    Uffbassä Häädbäänger ..
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:46 am

I'll be at Sweden rock festival,Bang your head festival,Headbangers opean air and Feurtanze festival
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am

^^^ I'm envious of all you forum folk going to European festivals this year - the earliest I'll be back is most likely summer 2012. :cry:
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm

tyrwoman wrote:^^^ I'm envious of all you forum folk going to European festivals this year - the earliest I'll be back is most likely summer 2012. :cry:

+1 :|
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Not sure if anyone here gives a damn about American Festival tours... but some internet "insider" rumors are flying about a couple: Summer Slaughter is expected to have - 1349, Skeletonwitch, and Fleshgod Apocalypse.
    Mayhem Fest is supposedly to have - Godsmack, Disturbed, Megadeth, Machine Head on the Main Stage... In Flames, Trivium, Kingdom of Sorrow, Unearth, Suicide Silence on the second stage... with rumors of Skeletonwitch (again), Dimmu Borgir, All Shall Perish, and All That Remains also scheduled to perform.
    Thought I'd share... nothing official. Except Robb Flynn said in an interview at NAMM that they are on the main stage, and a member of Godsmack (I don't remember whom) also said Godsmack/Disturbed will co-headline Mayhem Fest. :roll:
    Oh, and Ozzfest is apparently done for good.
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 pm

OH, and I almost forgot... The BIG 4 have supposedly booked a Los Angeles, CA date for this summer. No word if additional dates will be announced, but this will either be a one-off show or a 12 date U.S. Tour. And if you've been living in Antarctica for the last 2 years, the BIG 4 would be: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax. :beerwink:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Le G@SP wrote:This summer I'll be for sure @ SONISPHERE in France, HELLFEST in France, ROCK HARD in germany, BANG YOUR HEAD in Germany and maybe @ GRASPOP in Belgium and other SONISPHERE festivals in Europe

Last year I was @ ROCK HARD in Germany, DOWNLOAD in UK, SONISPHERE in Poland, HELLFEST in France, SONISPHERE in Romania, BANG YOUR HEAD and WACKEN in Germany :death:

quite an impressive list!
    like every year, there will be Wacken...and since Sonisphere and Metalfest are right around the corner, I might end up there, too (but those two wouldn't be with camping and stuff)
    plus, I intend to head back to Locarno, where a series of concerts will be on an impressive location...have a look: http://www.moonandstarslocarno.ch/
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension