Post Reply 234 posts
All Hands On Deck!
    debborah1
    Commander

Re: All Hands On Deck!

by debborah1 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:01 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Thanks for all the bumps n' link shares n' such everyone! 666 hits came n' went overnight as we got our final announcement for the cruise so yeah, silly metal mission accomplished haha!!

Now on to the cruise and in search of inspiration for Creep Metal Volume 1... :twisted:

Wish me luck :lol:

Rock out wit yer socks out!! ;) :headbanger:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm

back update.....

front update....

:cheers: :beerhorns: :givebeer:
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Great job!!!
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:16 pm

That skeleton guy is f'ing BADASS/BOMBASS/KICKASS!!!

I love the way I picture the hands holding the ship looking when worn by some fine forum ladies!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am

another update for ya Rob ... check out the flag and let me know what you think :cheers:

and by mister shoreslayers request slight change to the back........

Image ;)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 am

Love it!

170,000 % perfect!!

And with that, on my way to the airport!

ALL ABROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbanger:

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Doin' the Karaoke version of All Hands in Boleros Lounge on the final night of our trip

Gonna follow this post with a description of some related details but wanted to start by apologizing to Ryan. I asked him to film the performance with my video cam then looked at the cam later and the only video on it was a 10 second clip of the floor. I was sorta crushed and couldn't imagine what had gone wrong so blamed him and told a couple ppl after that he'd managed to fuck up the easiest assignment ever. Pulled the memory card this morning and accessed it via my pc's card reader and there it was. Felt like an ass. Sorry 'bout that Ryan. I'll never doubt ya again brothah :oops:

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Great job Pengy! Apology accepted ;)
    I should get around to updating my signature
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:37 pm

mooyagi wrote:Great job Pengy! Apology accepted ;)

Thanks and thanks! Yay!

So... As I'm not in an active, performing band, haven't been on a stage of any sort in 18 years other than some open mic nights in 2004 (I think) and, aside from Monday night's karaoke with about 50 ppl in the room, had never performed this song live for anyone other than my buddy John whose studio this was done in, I guess you can imagine how my heart was pumping prior to getting up n' grabbing the mic.

But, what I'm sure no one would imagine is that I was a bit messed up a few times that day, hours before performing and that the rush of the mix of anticipatory adrenalin and nervousness all culminated in a full blown, perfect storm sort of hallucinogenic, detached from reality panic (terror more like it) attack about half an hour before doing the song :shock:

I haven't had an anxiety attack of any kind since quitting drinking n' smokin' pot a few months before 70K 2011 so was pretty caught off guard by where my mind went while sitting there in Boleros Friday morning. I'd felt some nervousness throughout the day as I went over in my mind what to say before starting the song. I know that ppl don't like to hear too much talking during karaoke so was trying to figure out how to explain wtf Your Boat Sucks means, describe the call/response aspect of the chorus, thank UMC and Dave and the forumites all while appearing calm, cool and collected which I knew I wouldn't be (I hate public speaking - much rather just sing or play guitar). My mind was already a little unsettled when I walked into Boleros and saw how packed it was but I just chalked it all up to the logical nervous energy, pushed past it and took a seat.

There weren't any seats I could spot with other friends/forumites so I grabbed one between the floor and the bar and was right behind Kate n' Ryan. I listened to a bunch of other singers, gave Kate n' Ryan my cameras to take footage for me and then went up and told Dave I was ready any time. He'd agreed earlier in the week that I could show up anytime and do the song within 10 minutes or so in order to not have to wait around for hours. But, I guess he forgot or had other things to contend with cuz it was another hour or so before I got called up. Well, the first half hour or so was okay and then came the fiddler...

Ugh :?

Umm, that guy is killer talented and I totally appreciate what he can do but something about the particular pitch of that instrument combined with all the effects he runs it through was just the right thing to push my mind over an edge I'd forgotten was there lol...

I was already a bit uncomfortable with the sound of it all and how I was feeling when he started playing 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia'. Now, I've always really liked that song but for some reason it just struck me as some kind of weird thing at the time and left me feeling like something strange was happening or about to. I made it through that song and felt better once he'd finished but then he did Fade to Black.

Well, Fade to Black is a long time fave song of mine as I love the lyrics, the guitar parts and the solos but it also has an emotional connection as it's a song about death/suicide/wishing for death. So it sorta brought my head into the direction of some rather somber thoughts amongst all else that was going on. No biggie I guess but it was another straw on this gradually weakening mental camel's back so to speak...

*backstory* - In the fall of 2010, when I'd known you guys a while here but not yet in person, I'd spent much of the summer drinking every weekend and eating a lot of pot cookies as I didn't wanna smoke the stuff anymore due to the impact on lungs etc. But eating that shit is a very different high than smoking it and sometimes left me feeling 'too high' Well, I went to see Pearl Jam with a buddy of mind and had this harsh bad trip/anxiety attack where, long bad trip story short, I believed the moment of my death had arrived and that everyone around me and life up to that point was just an illusion/hallucination. It scared me shitless until it passed and was the crowning moment on the 'Drugs just aren't for me' life experience.

Unfortunately, it would seem that it opened some kind of window/door in my mind that may never fully close.

When buddy got about half way through Fade To Black, he started walking around the crowd and stopped to play for some ppl just a couple seats to my right. As he did so, most/many of the ppl in the room were staring at him (for obvious reasons). But then he moved closer to me and the combination of and exhausting week of little/no sleep, lots of self-conscious energy, the buzz in the room, the mess in my brain, the drawn out anticipation of getting up to perform, the sound of that freaking violin (lol) and all faces in the room being turned to me and bam... there you have what I would now term: Mental Health Perfect Storm 101

In that moment, I was convinced that I'd been given this entire experience (the cruise, the making of this song and some ppl really digging it, and being able to perform it as, essentially, the last piece of original music on the 2012 cruise), as some kind of send off gift to really go over to the other side and that buddy was 'playing me out' with one of my all time fave songs as I was surrounded by more super solid friends than I'd ever had all looking in my direction and smiling happily. Not a bad way to go to be sure but I'm not exactly READY to go haha. So yeah, I was like 'Fuck this' in my head and just wanted him to get the hell away from me. Eventually he did but the time he spent in those few feet near me felt like a damn eternity and as great as the memory of performing the song now is, the memory of that little trip is equally etched in my mind.

I could write more but have to run and get sushi now but really did wanna share this here. There are many here I trust with my most embarrassing truths and to those who might mock or judge, I'm not too worried what they think. I know I'm not the only one of our community that struggles with various weird shit from time to time and by typing it all out here it really takes a lot of its power away.

Before I run though, I really must add a HUGE thank you to Marlo!

You may not remember this all Marlo as you were pretty buzzed but you sat next to me about 5 minutes after all this happened and I told you I was very nervous and had had a full on anxiety attack just minutes before. You said the kindest most thoughtful and encouraging things and really helped bring me fully back to Earth. I'll never be able to thank you enough for that brief interaction but I felt very grateful in that moment and even more so now that I've reflected on it all. You said exactly what I needed to hear in that moment and I'll always love ya for that (as well as just how damn cool ya are to begin with ;))

Okay... sushi time!
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Great job man, it was a blast backing you up out there with the rest of the forum crazies. Nilay was especially impressed, she babbled on about "All Hands" almost as much as she did to Timo Kotipelto at the meet n slober.

:cheers:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:04 pm

If anything I've done in this life has encouraged that sweet, beautiful wife of yours to smile more, my work here is done ;)

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:08 pm

Thanks so much for taking so many varied pics Kate! You're the best babe!!

I won't post them all but more can be viewed with all my other pics HERE if anyone wants

Here's a couple that really showed the range of emotions I got to go through up there lol...

Nervous as all hell in pre-song chatter

Finally singing and gettin' into it

Channeling metal angst and intensity

I think this must've been just after I accidentally pointed the mic directly at the stage right monitor and caused a major feedback squeal :oops:

Finale/Victory!!!

So cool to be joined by a friend!

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm so :evil: that I missed all that, Rob
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:26 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:Image

just a slight update ... check the cannon portals I think you'll like what I did there :cheers:

THAT KICKS ASS! :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:35 pm

Not sure how I managed to mess up both the years in that wall of text but...

I haven't had an anxiety attack of any kind since quitting drinking n' smokin' pot a few months before 70K 2011

original music on the 2012 cruise

Fixd ;)

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Not sure how I managed to mess up both the years in that wall of text but...

I haven't had an anxiety attack of any kind since quitting drinking n' smokin' pot a few months before 70K 2011

original music on the 2012 cruise

Fixd ;)

you look very happy/healthy these days my friend!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:41 pm

Had a hilarious phone chat with my buddy Mike about all this last night and we were both basically in tears as he suggested I should've just got up and kicked the violinist in the nuts. Pushing past anxiety attacks in the future will now forever be known as, 'Bagging the Fiddler' :lol:

Shared this piece of the story while chatting with my sister this morning about the whole trip and was saying how hilarious it would have looked if I'd just stood up at that point, kicked him in the nads and then run maniacally out of Boleros. She commented how this is likely what's behind some of the strangest stuff we see/hear about people doing all the time. I was cracking up again as I thought about how that all would've looked and that it would all have been on youtube in no time. Alluding to my recent youtube hit whoring of the main version of the song, my comment to her at that point in the conversation: I bet THAT would get a few thousand hits overnight :D

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:43 pm

WizardBeast wrote:you look very happy/healthy these days my friend!

Thanks hon! Ya seemed pretty damn glowy yerself :D

Feeling pretty damn awesome for the most part. Eating much better since coming home from cruise so that's good. Ankle is still an issue but getting a new gym membership on the 15th and determined to get back to work. Wallie says I have to show up next year wish washboard abs and I'd hate to let him down :lol:

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:48 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:you look very happy/healthy these days my friend!

Thanks hon! Ya seemed pretty damn glowy yerself :D

Feeling pretty damn awesome for the most part. Eating much better since coming home from cruise so that's good. Ankle is still an issue but getting a new gym membership on the 15th and determined to get back to work. Wallie says I have to show up next year wish washboard abs and I'd hate to let him down :lol:

yes, i've been eating fruit, salad, and protein shakes already. quite pleased i didn't gain any weight onbroad - however since i am already weighing way too much this is not much of an achievement. at least i didn't crash diet this time and make myself sick. like any of you guys care how much i weigh! anyway, going to be hitting the exercise hard again starting tomorrow and get back into the swing of things with lots of water and fresh fruit/veggies.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 pm

I really do feel like post-cruise is now the official New Year's Day thing for me. Any and all resolutions/changes, goals to set, projects to complete or begin now revolve around late January/February 1st. I kinda like it. Gives me (us) a whole month more of the festivity of December and a chance to kick things into gear when many others have already forgotten their own goals etc lol.

I was 218 this time last year, dropped as low as 172 and since messing my ankle up, losing momentum and eating with full abandon am back up to 180.8 with much of the muscle gain lost. Pretty clear to see where at least a couple of my goals reside and am glad to already be on those paths to a degree. Other than the fitness n' nutrition thing, I have to say my main goals are to read and write more, find some folks to jam with regularly again, maybe try dating someone for more than a few weeks straight if the right woman presents herself (yeah, I said presents) and, depending on our new union contract in March/April, make some decisions around career/school futures.

For now though, I think I'll start by doing my dishes :? :lol:

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Thanks so much for taking so many varied pics Kate! You're the best babe!!

Anytime, glad you like them! ;). I was worried that they weren't any good :oops:, I've gotten so used to not using flash that when I do I feel so awkward
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:11 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Doin' the Karaoke version of All Hands in Boleros Lounge on the final night of our trip

Gonna follow this post with a description of some related details but wanted to start by apologizing to Ryan. I asked him to film the performance with my video cam then looked at the cam later and the only video on it was a 10 second clip of the floor. I was sorta crushed and couldn't imagine what had gone wrong so blamed him and told a couple ppl after that he'd managed to fuck up the easiest assignment ever. Pulled the memory card this morning and accessed it via my pc's card reader and there it was. Felt like an ass. Sorry 'bout that Ryan. I'll never doubt ya again brothah :oops:

Very awesome! :deathhorns: :deathhorns: :deathhorns:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:00 pm

gnoff wrote:

I'm glad I was there for it!

Sidetrack:
    when we were on the small boat back from Grand CAymans we saw another small boat woing to another cruise, so naturally I started chanting "your boat sucks, your boat sucks!" and got my friends and some few other people on our boat to go along for a while.

I sit in the Windjammer some time after the second Overkill show and Bobby walks by, I say "great show dude!"
    As to what he replies "Thanks! Oh were you the guy with the hat and the beard in our boat chanting "Your boat sucks!"?
    Of course I was, haha

Very funny

A little bit later I left Windjammer and he was sitting with some lady and told her "that's your boat sucks there!"

hahaha, I'm famous

Of course you're famous! you are really hard to miss dude!

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE GNOFF
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:22 pm

WizardBeast wrote: anyway, going to be hitting the exercise hard again starting tomorrow and get back into the swing of things with lots of water and fresh fruit/veggies.

I started on Tuesday, considering how rough I was on my body last week (absurd amount of alcohol, headbanging, tripping over everything in sight etc etc) that I haven't had any achy pains or sore muscles at all from just jumping into habit of intense work outs in the morning and then using the gym at my work after work. My body I guess has just adjusted to the fact that I'm going to abuse it and put it through its paces I guess :lol:

Good luck Rhia!! Kick some ass!

ShoreSlayer wrote:I really do feel like post-cruise is now the official New Year's Day thing for me. Any and all resolutions/changes, goals to set, projects to complete or begin now revolve around late January/February 1st. I kinda like it. Gives me (us) a whole month more of the festivity of December and a chance to kick things into gear when many others have already forgotten their own goals etc lol.

I never made a single New Years Resolution this year, but post-cruise is a different story. I seem to have set myself a couple resolutions for what I want in the next year. Oh the 70K Calendar, sad isn't it how we are starting to revolve around that instead? :lol:

ShoreSlayer wrote: (yeah, I said presents)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Good luck Rhia!! Kick some ass!

thanks! so far i've already lost some weight, and i didn't gain any weight onbroad so this is new weight to lose, w00t!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:Good luck Rhia!! Kick some ass!

thanks! so far i've already lost some weight, and i didn't gain any weight onbroad so this is new weight to lose, w00t!

Excellent! :deathhorns: I'm pretty sure I gained weight onbroad, but since I don't own a scale and my clothes still fit, I'm not gonna worry too much. Just need to start eating right again and do some exercise
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 pm

Im so very pissed that I missed you're performance Rob....I "heard" it was fabulous...and didnt think it would be any thing less than!...
    You are definatley looking great these days....so keep up the good work in making yourself happy...and thankyou again SOOO much for the maple candies and the "mating monkeys" Love you brother! :beerwink: \m/ :D \m/
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Damn I wish I saw this :( you did an awesome job and did not look nervous one bit!

I did go to Karaoke for a bit that night but got bored and we went and checked out Edguy then my eyes gave out they were so itchy and sore I could hardly keep them open, so I went to bed. Totally annoyed I didn't want to sleep that night I wanted it to go on forever :evil:

Oh well next time I will know to bring eye drops with me and stick it out at Karaoke.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    STACH100
    Sub-Lieutenant

by STACH100 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Rob, all the best to you, I love the song.
    But I hate karaoke so I did not see you in your finest!
    No offense to you,I will never be at karaoke.
    2011 6084
    2012 9560
    2013 9574
    2014 TBA
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:43 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:Very awesome! :deathhorns: :deathhorns: :deathhorns:

Thanks Kate! Having you n' Ryan and so many others there made it quite easy to relax and have fun once the music started :metalguy:

debborah1 wrote:Im so very pissed that I missed you're performance Rob....I "heard" it was fabulous...and didnt think it would be any thing less than!...
    You are definatley looking great these days....so keep up the good work in making yourself happy...and thankyou again SOOO much for the maple candies and the "mating monkeys" Love you brother! :beerwink: \m/ :D \m/

You're so very welcome of course but... what do you mean "missed" the performance? You're in the group photos that were taken immediately after. I'm pretty sure you were there. Maybe just in the room but not aware I was singing? :lol:

STACH100 wrote:Rob, all the best to you, I love the song.
    But I hate karaoke so I did not see you in your finest!
    No offense to you,I will never be at karaoke.

I'm just glad ya like the song brother. I wouldn't want anyone to stomach something they detest just to hear me yell out a song. I WILL insist you drag yer butt to a smoky Spectrum Lounge if I ever get to do it with a real band though :P

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:20 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:Very awesome! :deathhorns: :deathhorns: :deathhorns:

Thanks Kate! Having you n' Ryan and so many others there made it quite easy to relax and have fun once the music started :metalguy:

You're welcome! and thanks, also ;)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:42 pm

(shameless) Bump!

:shred:

biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:13 pm

:beerbang:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:09 pm

I'll miss the reunion show of the band doing this song!! shoot :cry: :cry: :cry:
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
  • Post Reply 234 posts