Post Reply 66 posts
Metal Recommendations
  • KevinP
    Commander

Re: Metal Recommendations

by KevinP » Tue May 18, 2010 2:39 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:I'm curious Kevin, what's the Roadrunner knock? I've been exposed to some of my many faves as a result of this label but I don't follow industry info so may be missing a reference.

And what do looks have to do with music and talent (or lack thereof)? Aren't those judgments more suited to the pop world? If not, I guess it's a good thing YOU'RE not trying to start a band anytime soon eh? :P :lol:

Roadrunner used to represent death metal, King Diamond and underground music in the late 80's, early 90's. Now they sign crap like Nickelback, Slipknot, Killswitch, Trivium, etc. (truth be told I don't despise/loathe Slipknot the way most do, but I'm trying to prove my point here)

Granted not very band they have is useless (they do have OPETH afterall) but the general consensus is that they turned their back on real metal and went the mainstream route. In the past if you signed to RR you got some instant clout/credibility, now it's the opposite effect - you automatically have 1 strike against you until proven otherwise.

Looks have nothing to do with talent/music, hence why I made the joke that you shouldn't judge, but I did. Come on, you know there are plenty of times where you see a band, they look like a bunch of tools (ie - DICKS in american slang) and can tell they would suck ass. You can look at Nickelback and know they suck, same thing with Fall Out Boy.

Going those this whole big rigmarole http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18617 ... tpage.html is not something I really give 2 shits about or think about, but since you asked it forced my hand.

I much prefer we talk about clevage "tats". I found out today that it is a "dagger". :ugeek:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    aphelion0
    Oiler

by aphelion0 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 pm

if you like projects like Ayreon or Avantasia, i would recomend a similar project from Mexico. This is call The Arkitecht. This guy, Genaro Ochoa, mixed different people from different styles of music and do this... i think he has done a beautiful job with this project.

The grunt vocal of this project is Dante Diaz, vocalist of the band War Kabinett who will open the next gig of Therion here in Mexico.

Here are some links:

http://www.myspace.com/thearkitecht
    http://www.myspace.com/warkabinett

Here is Cesar Huesca, one of the best guitar player here in Mexico, playing the single of the album called Hyperstructure, Children of the Gods:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwhiMWCSkFs

I hope you enjoy it :D
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue May 25, 2010 10:01 pm

hrmm interesting! I like a lot of the riffs in the Arkitecht stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the grunt vocals, but there is obviously quite a bit of creativity in this guy!
    I can't believe that song Face Thief is 32 minutes long..

Thanks for sharing :cheers:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 am

Jöhn&Melönius wrote:Melechesh is great. If you like middle eastern influences, check out Darkestrah too. http://www.myspace.com/officialdarkestrah

Yep great band.DIdn't expect anybody else to know of them.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 am

For fans of pagan/Viking/folk metal kinda stuff, I highly recommend Heidevolk from the Netherlands. I had never heard of them until a few months ago - a friend recommended them to me and I ended up buying 2 of their albums - Walhalla Wacht and Uit Oude Grond - great party music! :viking: I read on the Who are you thread that Dutchguytim is also a fan :cool: :viking:

Now...I need recommedations/comments from you folks - rather than clog up the festival thread, I thought I'd ask here! There's just a few more bands playing at Wacken that I'm not familiar with and would love your thoughts on, album recommendations, etc...
    Grave Digger
    Soulfly
    Edguy
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 am

tyrwoman wrote:For fans of pagan/Viking/folk metal kinda stuff, I highly recommend Heidevolk from the Netherlands. I had never heard of them until a few months ago - a friend recommended them to me and I ended up buying 2 of their albums - Walhalla Wacht and Uit Oude Grond - great party music! :viking: I read on the Who are you thread that Dutchguytim is also a fan :cool: :viking:

Now...I need recommedations/comments from you folks - rather than clog up the festival thread, I thought I'd ask here! There's just a few more bands playing at Wacken that I'm not familiar with and would love your thoughts on, album recommendations, etc...
    Grave Digger
    Soulfly
    Edguy

Edguy is not my type of music, so can't help you there. Soulfly is Max Caverla from Sepultura, but it's nothing special or worthwhile IMNSHO. It's like a mix of nu metal and newer Sepultura type stuff. Do yourself a favor and hit the rest room or get a drink at that time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never heard any of GD stuff before but check hear for opinions: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=391

As a matter of fact, everyone should use Metal Archives, easily the best tool to find out about bands and their music that I've ever seen. Probably at that site 5-6 times per week using it as a reference.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:01 am

I'm not a big fan of Soulfly but I have a couple of their albums kicking around (Dark Ages and III) which I found to be quite similar to Sepultura while not quite as rich in terms of songwriting and overall sound. Still loaded with Max's thick Brazilian accent and metal angst. Apparently many Sepultura fans don't like Soulfly but I'm not so sure why.

I know next to nothing of Edguy but there's lots of talk of them in other threads so do a search unless you're looking for something that specific that wasn't mentioned there.

I bought Grave Digger's Heavy Metal Breakdown in the mid 80's and really liked it at the time but never heard much of them after that here so didn't really keep up with them. Then recently I picked up Ballads of a Hangman and found it kicked major ass. I did my homework and see they've released roughly 20 albums or so over their 30 or so year career but haven't had a chance to hear any of it except for what little is on their myspace page. As for your request, it's hard to say as so much depends on personal taste. Your tastes are pretty wide open and varied so I suspect you'll like these guys. The new album is basically very well-written, executed and slickly produced power metal. Nothing super technical but they do what they do very well. Personally, I'd really love to see these guys added to the cruise.

As an aside, you probably already know about both of these but, in case ya don't, maybe they'll help. I know you can't beat the recommendation of someone who's tastes you trust and respect but I've been guided fairly well for the most part by the reviews and info at allmusic and a friend recently told me about Metallum which I find to be even better and further reaching in terms of metal bands and reviews by fans.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:55 am

ShoreSlayer wrote: and a friend recently told me about Metallum which I find to be even better and further reaching in terms of metal bands and reviews by fans.

Come on, name drop and give me the props :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:45 pm

KevinP wrote:Come on, name drop and give me the props :mrgreen:

ShoreSlayer wrote: and some dickhead from Florida that I met on these boards recently told me about Metallum which I find to be even better and further reaching in terms of metal bands and reviews by fans.

Fixed! :twisted:

• KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:51 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Fixed! :twisted:

:lol: Touche :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks for your opinions, guys! I actually do use the net a lot for reading about bands/opinions, etc. (and "looking up stuff" is what I do for a living ;)) , but thought it would be fun to ask the question here as well. ShoreSlayer, you mentioned allmusic.com - that's probably the one I go to the most because it covers all kinds of music. I like the way it's set up - the overviews, discographies, and in particular the "similar artists," "influenced by" and "followers" lists. As you know, they also have the hotlinks to "styles." I just looked up Opeth, hit a few of the hotlinks they listed under styles - "Scandinavian Metal" and "Progressive Metal" :cool: and you get some good lists. Like I said somewhere else on this forum, there's so much metal out there, I wager it will keep me interested for many years to come! KevinP - I've looked at metal-archives too, but not as much - great site, though. I've also read lots of opinions on iTunes, Amazon, and rateyourmusic.com. Then there's the specialized sites like metalfromfinland.com, etc., and I spend a lot of time youtubing bands and looking at myspace pages. So, again, I asked the question here cause there's a ton of metal knowledge on this forum :cheers: ;) and I always like hearing what people have to say about their favorite bands in particular. :P

I'm thinking I might buy Heavy Metal Breakdown from Grave Digger - listened to some this morning and liked what I heard. As for Edguy and Soulfly - haven't taken the time to really check them out yet - but will before Wacken for sure.

One last thing - do you know about the Music-Map? I hadn't looked at it in a while - typed in Pain of Salvation and here's what I got:
    http://www.music-map.com/pain+of+salvation.html. It's a lot of fun and hotlink heaven - I love seeing all the band names floating around on the screen until they find their "place" in connection to the band you typed in.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:10 pm

tyrwoman wrote:One last thing - do you know about the Music-Map? I hadn't looked at it in a while - typed in Pain of Salvation and here's what I got:
    http://www.music-map.com/pain+of+salvation.html. It's a lot of fun and hotlink heaven - I love seeing all the band names floating around on the screen until they find their "place" in connection to the band you typed in.

Interesting. never heard of that. I agree, not enough hours in the day to keep up to date with all the new releases and new bands. Sometimes when I finally get around to hearing a band/album, I'll realize they have been around for 5-10 years and I wonder why I never heard of them until now.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Wow... that music map is pretty cool.

I had to put in Night Ranger right away as I had a weird conversation this morning that led me to the realization that I actually made something of a 2 degrees of separation connection to Ozzy Osbourne when I was a kid. I was living in Edmonton between the ages of about 10 and 12 and attended an outdoor festival downtown during the summer. A band called Rubicon was playing and I ended up watching them and the band before them from the back of the U-Haul they'd backed up to the side of the stage and were using as a sort of off stage/back stage area. At one point, either the bass player or the guitarist picked me up as a joke and pretended to throw me out into the crowd from the stage. I remember thinking it was awesome and hilarious as I knew he wasn't really gonna throw me cuz they were being very friendly and treating me like a cool kid.

I knew that Rubicon went on to be either Night Ranger or Honeymoon Suite some time after that but never really followed either band too closely. So I was talking with a buddy this morning and telling this story and wanted to get my facts straight so I looked up Rubicon only to realize that the guitarist was Brad Gillis and the bassist was Jack Blades. Brad can be heard on Ozzy's Speak Of The Devil as he stepped in after Randy died and Jack went on to Damn Yankees and work with others like Motley Crue and Alice Cooper after Night Ranger.

None of this means shit of course but sort of like a cool brush with greatness that I'd never really connected all the dots on :D

So I put Night Ranger in that music map and one thing I found funny is that it places Keith Urban and Kelly Clarkson closer to the centre than Def Leppard lol. Just something that made me go hmmm... wonder why?

jassiak
    Crewman

by jassiak » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:55 am

Grave digger kick ass...want to see them on the boat! Haven't seen them live but I have 9 of their albums :)
    I can see clearly now, a painful vision indeed
    An attack on hallowed ground, from high above
    Alien to us, the species known as man
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 am

jassiak wrote:Grave digger kick ass...want to see them on the boat! Haven't seen them live but I have 9 of their albums :)

Aside from HMBD and their latest, which 2 or 3 of those 9 would you recommend or say are the best of the bunch?

jassiak
    Crewman

by jassiak » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm

If you like Live Albums - Tunes of Wacken from 2002, if you looking for studio albums I would go for Excalibur (1999) and Rheingold (2003) ... :headbanger:
    I can see clearly now, a painful vision indeed
    An attack on hallowed ground, from high above
    Alien to us, the species known as man
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:14 am

As I've discovered more and more metal throughout the past years, I've been finding myself more attracted to what folks may refer to as Doom metal. I suppose I don't know how known some of these bands are, but I figured I'd pass along some of the ones I've grown to enjoy very much.

Forest of Shadows - Blends that feeling of death and hopelessness pretty well methinks
    Doom:VS - solo side project of Johan Ericson of Draconian
    Funeral - seems like a good standard doom that the shares the name of the band
    Shape of Despair - Very instrumental and pretty droning at times, one of the first doomy bands I stumbled upon

Not really metal, but two other bands I've discovered that I enjoy listening to for a lighter but still pretty melancholic and depressive feeling:

Artesia - Very sullen and melancholic, and oddly soothing...these gals know what they're doing.
    Dark Sanctuary - I guess they're pretty gothic sounding from what I've heard, but I don't think I'd say they're "metal"...

I know some others, but I probably just haven't listened to them as much. But anyway, there ya go, hope it helps someone out!
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    jassiak wrote:Grave digger kick ass...want to see them on the boat! Haven't seen them live but I have 9 of their albums :)

Aside from HMBD and their latest, which 2 or 3 of those 9 would you recommend or say are the best of the bunch?

Tunes of war is an essential Grave Digger album
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:02 am

Woods of Ypres.

Nice canadian band.
    Was surprised as to how much I liked them when I heard them.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:33 am

For any fans of pagan metal they should really check out the band ARKONA from Russia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fuuDc2 ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w628V9_r ... re=channel
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:02 am

Aye, Arkona is excellent. Would love to cruise with them.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:17 am

Element0s wrote:Aye, Arkona is excellent. Would love to cruise with them.

They are playing at Metalcamp.Will see them there :mrgreen:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:45 am

Metalwrath wrote:For any fans of pagan metal they should really check out the band ARKONA from Russia.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7fuuDc2 ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w628V9_r ... re=channel

Arkona is a great band indeed! I had never heard of them until I bought this dvd/cd set a few months ago:

And since this is the recommendations thread, I highly recommend this dvd/cd - only around 15 bucks US on Amazon which I think is a pretty good deal for what you get.
    http://www.amazon.com/Realm-Napalm-Reco ... 568&sr=8-2

TRACK LIST:

Video Clips:
    1. ALESTORM - Keelhauled
    2. ARKONA - Goi, Rode, Goi!
    3. ARKONA - Pokrovi Nebesnogo Startsa
    4. ARKONA - Slavsia, Rus
    5. ATROCITY - The Sun Always Shines on TV
    6. BATTLELORE - House of Heroes
    7. BATTLELORE - Third Immortal
    8. GRAVE DIGGER - Ballad of a Hangman
    9. HATESPHERE - To the Nines
    10. HOLLENTHON - Son of Perdition
    11. KATRA - Beast Within
    12. LACRIMAS PROFUNDERE - A Pearl
    13. LACRIMAS PROFUNDERE - And God's Ocean
    14. LEAVES´ EYES - My Destiny
    15. SALTATIO MORTIS - Ebenbild
    16. SERENITY - Velatum
    17. THE MODERN AGE SLAVERY - Vile MotherEarth
    18. TYR - Hold the Heathen Hammer High
    19. TYR - Sinklars Visa
    20. VAN CANTO - Speed of Light

Live Clips:
    21. ALESTORM - Nancy the Tavern Wench
    22. ARKONA - Rus´
    23. ATROCITY - Fade to Grey
    24. LEAVES' EYES - New Found Land
    25. LEAVES´ EYES - Norwegian Loveso

BONUS AUDIO CD TRACKLIST:
    1. AHAB - Yet Another Raft of the Medus [Edit]
    2. ALESTORM - Keelhauled
    3. ARKONA - Yarilo
    4. CRIMFALL - Wildfire Season
    5. FAIRYLAND - Master of the Waves
    6. FEJD - Offerrök
    7. GLITTERTIND - Longships and Mead
    8. HATESPHERE - Cloaked in Shit
    9. LEAVES´ EYES - My Destiny
    10. SALTATIO MORTIS - Ebenbild
    11. SCHELMISH- Überladen
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:39 am

vainglory wrote:Sorry I'm at work and myspace is blocked so I can't do links.

Destroyer666 (I'm conviced that their album Phoenix Rising is written about my karma)
    3 Inches of Blood
    D.R.I. (punk/thrash/punk)
    December Wolves (the older stuff "Completely Dehumanized")
    Goatwhore
    Watch Them Die
    Korpiklaani
    Powermad (Absolute Power)
    Angra (I'm obsessed with the accoustic version of No Pain for the Dead)
    Turisas
    Eluveitie

And for something very very un-metal I recommend R.L. Burnside ("Its bad you know")

Thats all the "off the beaten path" stuff I can come up with right now...

Goatwhore and Destroyer 666 are good!

Would be great if Goatwhore came on this cruise!!!!!! :shock:

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:25 am

Ktulured55 wrote:
    vainglory wrote:Goatwhore

Goatwhore and Destroyer 666 are good!
    Would be great if Goatwhore came on this cruise?

I'd love to see Destroyer 666 added just to send VG into a happy hormonal heavy metal convulsions but . . .

How 'bout, instead of Goatwhore, we compromise and have Goatsnake reunite and send this F'n gig to the bottom of the sea as the closing act on the final day?

Please? :twisted: :lol: :P And where TF are Saint Vitus when I need 'em? :evil:

• thlmobile
    Wiper

by thlmobile » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:41 pm

I would actually make a copy of it (heck I don't even own a cassette player anymore). Alot of the songs appeared on the Relapse CD's, but I liked the original versions even better.