Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1
Dream Theater
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

Dream Theater

by soundcurve » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:08 am

Not sure if it was posted but looks like Mike Mangini is their new drummer. I always lukewarmly digged this band but figure someone here might find it interesting. The drum selection videos were a good watch regardless if you're a fan or not. Lot of talent and fun to watch the selection. Granted even if it reeks of reality TV, it is good reality stuff.

The Spirit Carries On - All 3 posted now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvqbsH9g ... ure=relmfu

The BM Announcement

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=157462

Enjoy! :beerwink:
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: Dream Theater

by Stained Class » Mon May 02, 2011 7:30 am

Cool, sounds like he is "the fastest drummer" having more speed records than any other drummer in the world. Interesting. I really hope Dream Theater takes a new direction with their next album, I wanna hear something new from them. The last album was different but I only really liked 2 songs on it. What's Mike doing these days?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri May 06, 2011 1:08 pm

I would like to hear something more in the vein of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance. That was an awsome album.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Sat May 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Stained Class wrote:Cool, sounds like he is "the fastest drummer" having more speed records than any other drummer in the world. Interesting. I really hope Dream Theater takes a new direction with their next album, I wanna hear something new from them. The last album was different but I only really liked 2 songs on it. What's Mike doing these days?

When I ran in to Portnoy in LA I went to go talk to him and he totally snubbed me, the cock. I hope he feels good about himself after quitting the biggest name in progressive metal to go play with avenged fucking sevenfold, and then having THEM let HIM go. hahaha. I hope he's crying onto his octobans.

In all seriousness though, I think he made a really stupid decision, but I still respect him as a musician.

Hopefully dream theater regains that edge they had around train of thought and six degrees. Unfortunately the images & words and Awake days are long gone, so it's no use expecting something like that!

I agree with you about their last album though Joey, the only tracks I really liked were Shattered Fortress and Count of Tuscany. In other news, I ate lunch at bottlescrews today and saw your plaque on the wall. Joey Yo Yo Joe Hockin eh? haha.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat May 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Consider me somebody that just never got into Dream Theater (though I do like Images and Words), although I respect them immensely as musicians. The songs, for some reason that I can't figure out, just never were able to grab me.

To me, everytime Portnoy opens his mouth he makes a bigger ass of himself. He left DT to join a terrible band and seems to be regretting it now since they had no interest in keeping him on broad :lol: He should probably just stop doing interviews. Kudos to the DT guys for moving on without him.

Stained Class wrote:What's Mike doing these days?

Mike has some new project coming up with Russell Allen, which immediately makes my fanboy alarm go off. Will be keeping my eye on this.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Bell
    Petty Officer

by Bell » Sun May 08, 2011 7:18 am

Mangini is a stunning drummer, really looking forward to seeing them at the High Voltage festival in London later in the year.

My band are on the bill too so I'm gonna stalk Petrucci and Mangini... fanboy moments ahoy!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon May 09, 2011 7:49 am

viathyn wrote: In other news, I ate lunch at bottlescrews today and saw your plaque on the wall. Joey Yo Yo Joe Hockin eh? haha.

No fucking way!! That's awesome! We'll have to catch a beer there so I can have a look at this!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1