Post Reply 8247 posts
Your last gig and your next gig...
  • SS1349
    Oiler

Re: Your last gig and your next gig...

by SS1349 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:05 pm

My last gig was Skrillex at The Warehouse Project in Manchester UK. My first filthy dubstep gig, in some caverns underneath a train station.

I'm still recovering a few days later, it was absolutely insane :viking:

At the minute my next gig is....

....70000 tons

:D
    70k Wishlist; Immortal, Amon Amarth, Epica, Finntroll, Soilwork, Arkona, 1349, Insomnium, Finsterforst, Kromlek
  • Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 am

gnoff wrote:
    Tuup wrote:Tomorrow: Thrashfest Classics (Exodus, Destruction, Heathen, Sepultura & Mortal Sin)

It's on for Tuesday for me! :death:

Enjoy! It was absolutely amazing! :headbanger:
    Can't wait to see the same package again in two weeks :D

My next gig will be a bit gayer though: Crashdiet
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Seeing Opeth on the 16th Dec. I still haven't heard Heritage, maybe I should because I've seen the setlists and it's mostly Heritage. Is anyone else going?
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:33 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:Seeing Opeth on the 16th Dec. I still haven't heard Heritage, maybe I should because I've seen the setlists and it's mostly Heritage. Is anyone else going?

I saw it in October. No more DM Opeth :cry:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 pm

I've heard he has ruined his voice, does anyone know if this is true/the reason he doesn't do growling vocals anymore?
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:27 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:I've heard he has ruined his voice, does anyone know if this is true/the reason he doesn't do growling vocals anymore?

He still does DM growls, Bloodbath performed two songs on the final night of the just completed US tour with Mikael on vocals. However they are touring Heritage which is all clean singing so it's very likely it'll be a similar if not identical set list to what they've been performing lately.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for that. I've heard from a few people that he will never do them again due to injury so I'm glad to hear otherwise :)
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:Thanks for that. I've heard from a few people that he will never do them again due to injury so I'm glad to hear otherwise :)

i love his clean voice but his growls rule too!!!! glad to hear also!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 am

So next up for me is Sylosis who's playing (probably first... boo) Friday the 9th in Dallas with iwrestedabearonce, the ghost inside, of mice and men, as i lay dying. And then Inquisition on Sunday the 11th in Arlington.

Anyone in the DFW area going to either of those shows?
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 am

EvilDan wrote:So last night was Mayhem. Let's see what I remember.

Ran into a bunch of people I knew, which was a little strange. Very well attended, so I was pleased about that. (Dallas can be flaky.) Lots of good beards, and a herd of gothapotami. Most of the chicks looked like huge eggs on tiny legs. And it was a fairly young crowd. One dude was totally decked out in 80s jean-jacket hair metal attire. I should have gotten a picture. Tons of "Jesus is a Cunt" shirts. They must have been so embarrassed.

There were a bunch of chicks dressed (well, barely) as white wolves. Very sexy. I should have gotten pictures. Again. I'm just bad at that.

Someone asked me if I was from Gorgoroth, which I found freaking hilarious. Must be the beard and my sour demeanor. :P

First band, I vaguely recall from the Triptykon show. I think they were called Obsidian Throne? Decent band. Splatta-fish I've commented on before, so I won't waste space. However, at this point, we were informed that Hate and Keep of Kalessin weren't going to be making the show as they were stranded somewhere. And Abigail Williams came on. Dude I was standing next to didn't enjoy them at all, so it detracted from the show.

We were expecting a long break until Mayhem, but then Hate started playing. Their set was extremely short, as I think the previous bands played longer to try to fill time when they thought they weren't going to show. And Keep was really good too. So glad they were able to make it.

However, it was really Mayhem that everyone was there to see. It was powerful. In some ways, it reminded me of being at Amon Amarth, when it felt like we were raising old gods, but this was different. A black celebration. The vibe was just awesome. It feels like it's been ages since I've walked away from a show saying, "Now THAT was a Black Metal show!" And at times, I caught myself thinking Laura would be LOVING this right now. Having trouble really putting it into words, but it was a phenomenal time.
    :bmhorns:

Oh, and next is Sylosis on Thursday.

Hey Dan - just saw this - Great creative writing as always! :cheers: And nice you thought of me :P - it's funny, because I often do that - think of friends who live elsewhere when I see a band I know they really like. Don't know if you saw my quick review from when I saw them on the Chicago leg on November 13th - wrote the following the next day....

Laura wrote:So - went to see Mayhem last night and they were great! As I said in a previous post, I couldn't make it early enough to see the opening bands, but was glad at least to see Mayhem! I had never seen them before the final night of Hole in the Sky in August. Comparing the two gigs - they were quite different - first of all, at HITS, the USF venue has a good size stage and holds nearly 2,000 I believe, plus it was packed in there. The sold out capacity of Reggie's is 400 and I'm guessing there were 300-350 there which allowed for a pretty crazy pit. I met up with fellow cruiser Nikki (Anika's roommate last year), and we stayed on the left clear of the pit. As I usually do, toward the end, I worked my way up pretty close - 2nd row standing. Atilla is so out there and interesting to watch - after a while - it dawned on me that between his get-up, entirely painted head and face, the skull and noose thingy he held on to the whole time, and relentless drumming and otherwise intense music - the whole experience kind of struck me like a Shamanistic ritual of sorts. I hadn't really thought about any band in that way before - but in their case it fits imo. What would make it even better along those lines though, would be to see them in some unusual small-scale outdoor fest setting - ideally in a place like Gudvangan, Norway - now THAT would be awesome!

When you said this: In some ways, it reminded me of being at Amon Amarth, when it felt like we were raising old gods, but this was different. A black celebration, it made me think of what I had said about it being akin to a Shamanistic ritual of sorts. To elaborate on that - what I meant by Shamanistic ritual was kind of an umbrella term in my mind for all of those rituals that are practiced by so-called tribal or non-western societies. I've had great interest in this kind of thing for quite some time - so I think that is yet another reason why I'm especially drawn to certain aspects of several black metal bands and their music. I've mentioned this on the black metal thread - whether or not specific band members are really genuine or authentic in their "satanic" beliefs is irrelevant to me - regardless, I find the music (and yes, to use the Yiddish slang word - the schtick ;) ) to be highly interesting and entertaining. When you said "raising old gods" - I totally get that on a symbolic level....and I'll add that I think in the case of the Mayhem gig and the whole skull bit, the relentless heavy sound of the music, and so on - they're "raising" or portraying that which is dark :twisted: ....the unrestrained id in all of us. (and I like it very much, on a symbolic level, that is)
    /end spacey talk. :lol:
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:46 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:just got home from Crown The Lost's final show. It went really well, and I'm glad I got to see them one last time. Unfortunately, they were an exceptional band and it's a shame they're done.

As of now I know of no shows before the cruise...

thats kinda upsetting they were fantastic
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:35 am

Rab wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:just got home from Crown The Lost's final show. It went really well, and I'm glad I got to see them one last time. Unfortunately, they were an exceptional band and it's a shame they're done.

yeah, they were my favorite local... now that title goes to Complete Failure, and, while they're a good time, they don't even come close to CTL
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Rab wrote:

yeah, they were my favorite local... now that title goes to Complete Failure, and, while they're a good time, they don't even come close to CTL

remember if you are lucky two good bands could spring up from the ashes. Sometimes warring factions inside bands are a good thing.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 am

cycosurgeon wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Rab wrote:

remember if you are lucky two good bands could spring up from the ashes. Sometimes warring factions inside bands are a good thing.

Joe (the incredible lead guitarist) is playing bass in a *Hey, we want to be on Ozzfest* style band called Hollowpoint, and guitar in a pretty good, but mostly inactive real hardcore band called Path To Misery... as of yet, I only know of the singer being in a fairly aweful new band (but he isn't singing)
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:25 am

Last was Monster Magnet, next Moonsorrow and Týr saturday and sunday :mrgreen: I need a "jumping with joy" smilie..
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:06 am

MadameLePink wrote:Last was Monster Magnet, next Moonsorrow and Týr saturday and sunday :mrgreen: I need a "jumping with joy" smilie..

This'll do :boobs:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:14 am

Laura wrote:Hey Dan - just saw this - Great creative writing as always! :cheers: And nice you thought of me :P - it's funny, because I often do that - think of friends who live elsewhere when I see a band I know they really like. Don't know if you saw my quick review from when I saw them on the Chicago leg on November 13th - wrote the following the next day....

Thanks, Laura. I did see your post, but I had forgotten your mention of "Shamanistic ritual of sorts", which absolutely makes sense.

Laura wrote:When you said this: In some ways, it reminded me of being at Amon Amarth, when it felt like we were raising old gods, but this was different. A black celebration, it made me think of what I had said about it being akin to a Shamanistic ritual of sorts. To elaborate on that - what I meant by Shamanistic ritual was kind of an umbrella term in my mind for all of those rituals that are practiced by so-called tribal or non-western societies. I've had great interest in this kind of thing for quite some time - so I think that is yet another reason why I'm especially drawn to certain aspects of several black metal bands and their music. I've mentioned this on the black metal thread - whether or not specific band members are really genuine or authentic in their "satanic" beliefs is irrelevant to me - regardless, I find the music (and yes, to use the Yiddish slang word - the schtick ;) ) to be highly interesting and entertaining. When you said "raising old gods" - I totally get that on a symbolic level....and I'll add that I think in the case of the Mayhem gig and the whole skull bit, the relentless heavy sound of the music, and so on - they're "raising" or portraying that which is dark :twisted: ....the unrestrained id in all of us. (and I like it very much, on a symbolic level, that is)
    /end spacey talk. :lol:

Well said. It's been a long time since I've had that kind of feeling at a Black Metal show. Terrific time. :cheers:

• EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:16 am

gnoff wrote:Last night was:

Mortal Sin
    Heathen
    Destruction
    Sepultura
    Exodus

On January 7, not sure I'll see any shows before that, is Svensk Punk and Asta Kask.

That show sounds all kinds of awesome. :headbanger:

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:22 am

cycosurgeon wrote:Even if Virgin Steele is the mysterious cancellation rumor, I still have...

http://www.facebook.com/RagnarokkrMetal

to look forward to seeing them.

Cyco - thanks for the heads up on this - even though I hardly know any of those bands, it sounds like a cool mini-fest and I think I'll probably go since it's nearby. So far, nekrobarr, vaderite, and Bentz! have shown some interest too so it could be a fun mini-70K reunion (which are *always* a good time it seems :D ).

The huge drawback is the location - why didn't they book this thing in Chicago? Joliet is a suburb nearly an hour away, and not a town with much going on. Maybe they got a good deal from the venue, who knows. If you're flying into O'Hare or Midway, you'll have to rent a car; if it was in Chicago, you wouldn't have to. Whatever, it should be a good time. (I'm hoping to hitch a ride with someone...Bentz!? :P )
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:41 am

EvilDan wrote:Well said. It's been a long time since I've had that kind of feeling at a Black Metal show. Terrific time. :cheers:

Thanks Dan - sometimes I wonder how many of my posts make people wanna do this :roll: ....I always know what I mean in my mind, but don't know/think it always comes out quite right when I try to write or type it out. (which is why I wrote /end spacey talk ;) ). :P

So, yeah - Mayhem live - interesting and entertaining experience no doubt. :beerhorns:
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:52 am

Laura wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Well said. It's been a long time since I've had that kind of feeling at a Black Metal show. Terrific time. :cheers:

Thanks Dan - sometimes I wonder how many of my posts make people wanna do this :roll: ....I always know what I mean in my mind, but don't know/think it always comes out quite right when I try to write or type it out. (which is why I wrote /end spacey talk ;) ). :P

So, yeah - Mayhem live - interesting and entertaining experience no doubt. :beerhorns:

This is a symptom of a person that may suffer from ADHD. LOL :roll:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 pm

have fun at Opeth - this year's show/setlist is still great
    I'm pretty sure there will be some growls in the futere...at least at the concert
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Laura wrote:
    cycosurgeon wrote:Even if Virgin Steele is the mysterious cancellation rumor, I still have...

http://www.facebook.com/RagnarokkrMetal

to look forward to seeing them.

Cyco - thanks for the heads up on this - even though I hardly know any of those bands, it sounds like a cool mini-fest and I think I'll probably go since it's nearby. So far, nekrobarr, vaderite, and Bentz! have shown some interest too so it could be a fun mini-70K reunion (which are *always* a good time it seems :D ).

The huge drawback is the location - why didn't they book this thing in Chicago? Joliet is a suburb nearly an hour away, and not a town with much going on. Maybe they got a good deal from the venue, who knows. If you're flying into O'Hare or Midway, you'll have to rent a car; if it was in Chicago, you wouldn't have to. Whatever, it should be a good time. (I'm hoping to hitch a ride with someone...Bentz!? :P )

most of the mini fests I have ever seen in near Chicago have been in the burbs, Last years was in Chicago, but I don't think they were impressed with the local turn out, so they might have went for the best deal. I know the Classic Metal Fests struggled with getting locals when it was there.

As for the bands on it....I can give you a quick rundown on a most of them.

Wizard: German Speed metal version of Manowar. First show in the States. My headliner. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sgBEHE3-Yo

Virgin Steele: On the cruise. Greek myths, power metal, unique voice and piano heavy at times. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTDfkeMfz4Y

Broca's helm: Old School semi legendary band in the underground. Think Proto Slough Feg. Had tunes on Brutal Legend. Can''t really be described if you don't know what Slough Feg sounds like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO2poJAaE_I

Pharaoh: Tim Aymar from Control Denied, new band, Maidenish riffs but less catchy and more hyponotic/Haunting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLDzqvROWuI

Slauter Xstroyes: old 80's Chicago band, assuming you know them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtDGw5VeP2E

Ancient Creation: Great singer, high on my list of bands for the fest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kevV9SyOWm4

Blacksmith: 80's band back from the ashes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA6Vpecd33c

Damien Thorne: 80's speed metal band from Chicago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO2VkVgqj0Q

Barrowed Time: Unknown to me really http://www.facebook.com/BorrowedTimeMetal?ref=ts

Skullfist: Speed metal from the great white north, one of the bigger bands in the New Wave of Speed Metal movement taking place http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKUTpRhVYR4

Voz: Unknown

Stone Magnum Doom metal http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone-Mag ... 9458436679

I can't wait to go, cause of Wizard. Glad to see others here have interest in it!!!
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:31 am

Laura wrote:Thanks Dan - sometimes I wonder how many of my posts make people wanna do this :roll: ....I always know what I mean in my mind, but don't know/think it always comes out quite right when I try to write or type it out. (which is why I wrote /end spacey talk ;) ). :P

:lol: I understand. I have a lot of voices in my head, and at least one of them understands Laura-speak pretty well. :D

Haven't decided if I'm going to Inquisition in Arlington on Sunday, but still planning on Sylosis tomorrow.

Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 am

Yes, the Mayhem "experience". Say whatever you want about the band's history and the quality of their music, but there was definitely some juju going on at the show I went to as well.

That Ragnarokkr festival looks like fun. Not 100% sure about going yet, but I'd definitely be getting a room in town if I was going.

The band Borrowed Time that is on the bill is a really up and coming traditional style metal band from my neck of the woods. They've been local openers for Accept, Diamond Head & Saxon.

I'm really jonesin' for a show right now so I need to see if there's any local metal shows going on nearby this weekend. If not, Detroit's own Battlecross is playing not too far away on Dec 30.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:35 am

Too much going on on the forum lately - can't keep up!

Cyco - thanks a bunch for all of those links!! You're awesome - I appreciate the effort. Gotta be honest, though - most of that style of music is not something I focus on or listen to on a regular basis - however it's certainly not something I dislike. And I have a hunch that will be a really fun fest with a lot of energy and kick-ass kinda performances. So, I'm in at this point - although the challenge will be getting out to Joliet. I refuse to drink and drive, and since I like to drink at shows (the main time I do), hmmmm....need to find a "designated driver." :beerwink:

So, as the time gets closer, I'll check out more from those bands. Oh, and in the case of Virgin Steele since they are on the cruise, will listen to them sooner. Thanks again.

Michael - who you callin' ADHD? :lol: Ha - perhaps a symptom or 2 of the many of that "disorder"...if anything, I think I'm more OCD when it comes to a few specific things (ha - *thinks of the ticket stub discussion on the gig history thread.* :lol: )

Dan - glad you understand Laura-speak - :beerwink:

Bentz! - lol on your use of the word juju! Great word! And I'm also jonesing for a show - next Tuesday Inquisition though! :beerhorns:
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:35 pm

[quote="Laura"]Too much going on on the forum lately - can't keep up!

Michael - who you callin' ADHD? :lol: Ha - perhaps a symptom or 2 of the many of that "disorder"...if anything, I think I'm more OCD when it comes to a few specific things (ha - *thinks of the ticket stub discussion on the gig history thread.* :lol: )

Dan - glad you understand Laura-speak - :beerwink:

LMFAO.
    Thanks for the compliment Laura :beerwink: , besides me being ADHD, I’m OCD, anal-retentive, (Gig History thread- oh yea. Me to a T) and as my co-workers/subordinates/peers know very well Passive-Aggressive (my job feeds that trait). LOL :lol:
    People re-assure me of my traits every day. LOL :lol: :lol:
    Dr. Phil can’t do shit for me. LOL :roll:
    Minnesota nice is a myth. We are all Passive Aggressive in this state. LOL :lol: :roll:
    Some of us just contain it better than others. LOL
    Oh, as for Laura-speak, I understand Chicagoan (Da Bears). Ha Ha. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 pm

So last night went up to LA to see Korpiklaani and Arkona. While waiting to meet other fellow cruisers I found out where Korpiklaani was hanging out and went there. I got to talk to them for a bit. One of the funniest conversations I have ever had with a band. They told me that they LOVE Walmart. I about died laughing!!! I told them to check out People of Walmart. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ I had this visual of them ending up on this site just being normal. :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way...no more violin player the remainder of the tour. They somehow lost him up north. :lol: :lol: :lol: No explanation given.

During the opening bands some guy right next to me obviously reacted to the strobe lights and went into a full on grand mal seizure. He slammed his head on the bar and face planted at my feet. The paramedics came and bands were halted. I thought for a moment he broke his neck. Talk about adrenaline rush. I ended up being the witness for that. I think the dude is going to be fine though. It was his first time having a seizure. Poor guy...

Back to the show...Arkona was AMAZING!!! Blew me away. Of course Korpiklaani was also awesome. :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

There were 5 hot dudes in kilts in one of the craziest pits I have ever seen. Bummer they were wearing undies.

Didn't get pics with Diane, Louise or Holly from Las Vegas. Diane is the one who rescued the stray dog in Cozumel and named it Korpiklaani. She told the band that story last night.
    Did get a pic with Ida and Iris after the show. :D

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Last gig:
    ROCKBITCH CRUISE Stockholm-Riga-Stockholm

Next gig:
    MÖTLEY CRUE/ DEF LEPPARD/ STEEL PANTHER in London Wembley arena Dec 14
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:50 pm

Link to Arkona video from the show last night. :headbanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Epqbar5pY
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:Link to Arkona video from the show last night. :headbanger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Epqbar5pY

NICE! i normally don't like folk metal but masha and co. rule!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 am

Tonight: Sadist, Vesania, Ram-Zet, Noumena
    Tomorrow: Pestilence, Septory, Acid Death, De Lirium's Order

:deathmetal:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 am

Memnoch wrote:Tonight: Sadist, Vesania, Ram-Zet, Noumena

DUDE, nice! i'm jealous!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:36 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Tonight: Sadist, Vesania, Ram-Zet, Noumena

DUDE, nice! i'm jealous!

I'm not sure which I'm more excited about today, getting to see Sadist and Vesania or that Hate was confirmed for Metalfest Croatia. :bangers:
    Wishlist:
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:09 am

EvilDan wrote:
    gnoff wrote:Last night was:

Mortal Sin
    Heathen
    Destruction
    Sepultura
    Exodus

On January 7, not sure I'll see any shows before that, is Svensk Punk and Asta Kask.

That show sounds all kinds of awesome. :headbanger:

HOly crap.....Now that my kinda shit right there :headbanger: :shred:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:55 am

Damn Margie, sounds like quite a night :lol:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:05 pm

Holy fuck was Ram-Zet good...fuck Unexpect, if you want avant-garde, this is the shit.
    ...gotta go, Baby Behemoth (or Vesania) is starting...
    Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Memnoch wrote:Holy fuck was Ram-Zet good...fuck Unexpect, if you want avant-garde, this is the shit.

Ram-Zet is awesome!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Ok, so Baby Behemoth is all grown up and kicks everyone's ass. Damn, that was a great gig. I want Vesania on broad!

Oh, and Sadist! That was tech death at its best.

Wishlist:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm

Memnoch wrote:Holy fuck was Ram-Zet good...fuck Unexpect, if you want avant-garde, this is the shit.

checking out Ram-Zet now....sounds kickass! not quite avant-garde to me, but pretty original and very dark! i like! thanks!
Post Reply 8247 posts