Post Reply 8246 posts
Your last gig and your next gig...
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

Re: Your last gig and your next gig...

by Soulreaper » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 am

Daenerys wrote:And actually I have to take it back; I think ZummaZumma recognized the name first! Several Martin fans on the ship it would seem! :D

Hell yeah :headbanger:

I think it should be mandatory reading for any metal fan. There's brutality, the grim and frost bitten north, etc., etc.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Definitely! That's why I'm so glad the TV series is going to be on HBO; they won't have to tone down any of the brutality!! By the way, did you see my earlier post about Turisas canclling? Here's the link if you didn't see it http://progpowerusa.com/xi/
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Daenerys wrote:Yeah I'm really excited! First time ever for both Delain and Tarot playing in the States. I'm more of a thrash girl, but the lineup this year is excellent. However, I am not so excited about the 8-hour drive to Atlanta :? It'll be worth it though!!!

You're going to LOVE Delain!!! Saw them last week at Wacken and they were a real highlight for me. I really didn't know much about them at all until a few months ago when I posted a question about them and some other Wacken bands on this forum. Maddy77 (who passed away :cry: ) had recommended them and I bought April Rain and Lucidity - great albums imo btw. Anyway, I couldn't help but think of her during their performance :cry:

More on Delain....they actually remind me quite a bit of Epica who is one of my favorite bands. Also love Tarja (saw her twice). It's funny 'cause I lOVE a lot of black/death growly :twisted: eviiiiilley :twisted: stuff, but then I also love the stunning voices of a Simone Simons or Tarja. Truly breathtaking!!!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Yeah I'm super excited! My man is the one who's really into them; he's REALLY hoping Marco is gonna sing with them! Liv Kristine did a song with them too (See Me in Shadow) so he's really hoping they'll do that one too since Leave's Eyes will be there too! We met up yesterday for the Demon Hunter show with a friend who just got back from Wacken, he had a great time too! Did you get to see Svarstot? He highly recommended them, but I don't know anything by them!
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

by Soulreaper » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Daenerys wrote:Definitely! That's why I'm so glad the TV series is going to be on HBO; they won't have to tone down any of the brutality!! By the way, did you see my earlier post about Turisas canclling? Here's the link if you didn't see it http://progpowerusa.com/xi/

Haha, I just got HBO added to my DishNetwork package so that I can watch it once it starts. Well that and the new season of Dexter.

Yeah, I saw about Turisas. Not too dissapointed. Would like to see them sometime but I can wait.
  • cg138
    Petty Officer

by cg138 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Dexter s on Showtime, not HBO, sir. Better get it right before the season starts!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Daenerys wrote:Yeah I'm super excited! My man is the one who's really into them; he's REALLY hoping Marco is gonna sing with them! Liv Kristine did a song with them too (See Me in Shadow) so he's really hoping they'll do that one too since Leave's Eyes will be there too! We met up yesterday for the Demon Hunter show with a friend who just got back from Wacken, he had a great time too! Did you get to see Svarstot? He highly recommended them, but I don't know anything by them!

Yeah, love Liv Kristine too (seeing her next month!). Caught just a few minutes of Svartsot (played from 5-6 pm on Thursday) at the Wackinger stage before I had to head over (took awhile with the huge crowds) to the main stages area for Alice Cooper to begin at 5:30 pm!! Never saw Alice and didn't want to miss any of his performance - man, at 62, he's pretty amazing (and it was great to hear him do Eighteen - some of my fave lyrics - see below...)

Soooo many Europeans recommended Svartsot to me and I had listened to them a bit on their myspace page, etc. I was so far back from the Wackinger stage and the sound wasn't so great, so I can't say much about the little bit I saw, but they are definitely a band I want to check out more.

EIGHTEEN
    Lines form on my face and hands
    Lines form from the ups and downs
    I'm in the middle without any plans
    I'm a boy and I'm a man

I'm eighteen
    and I don't know what I want
    Eighteen
    I just don't know what I want
    Eighteen
    I gotta get away
    I've gotta get out of this place
    I'll go runnin in outer space
    Oh yeah

I got a
    baby's brain and an old man's heart
    Took eighteen years to get this far
    Don't always know what I'm talkin' about
    Feels like I'm livin in the middle of doubt
    Cause I'm

Eighteen
    I get confused every day
    Eighteen
    I just don't know what to say
    Eighteen
    I gotta get away

Lines form on my face and my hands
    Lines form on the left and right
    I'm in the middle
    the middle of life
    I'm a boy and I'm a man
    I'm eighteen and I LIKE IT
    Yes I like it
    Oh I like it
    Love it
    Like it
    Love it
    Eighteen!
    Eighteen!
    Eighteen!
    Eighteen and I LIKE IT
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

by Soulreaper » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:33 pm

cg138 wrote:Dexter s on Showtime, not HBO, sir. Better get it right before the season starts!

Hahaha, shit...I got showtime too with the package. That's what I meant but didnt write.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Soulreaper wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:Definitely! That's why I'm so glad the TV series is going to be on HBO; they won't have to tone down any of the brutality!! By the way, did you see my earlier post about Turisas canclling? Here's the link if you didn't see it http://progpowerusa.com/xi/

Haha, I just got HBO added to my DishNetwork package so that I can watch it once it starts. Well that and the new season of Dexter.

Yeah, I saw about Turisas. Not too dissapointed. Would like to see them sometime but I can wait.

OMG!!!! LOVEE DEXTERRRRR!!!! :givebeer:
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:19 pm

okay not to continue the TJ but got to tell you guys I'm getting those books you talked about. Hadn't heard of them I'm usually more historical fiction but you guys sold me.
    R8R55
    Crewman

by R8R55 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Goatwhore in a bar the size of my livingroom. Hot as F#CK!!! and the next will be Sacrafice the Nazarine Chid Fest.
    BANG THE HEAD THAT DOES NOT BANG!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:25 pm

You're in luck Kisha... they ARE historical fantasy/fiction! :D
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:38 pm

R8R55 wrote:Goatwhore in a bar the size of my livingroom. Hot as F#CK!!!

I know that feeling for sure, I lived in Metairie, LA for 10 years. Ive seen them numerous times in little shithole venues. Good shows and definitely worth it.
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

by Soulreaper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:20 am

Monmisreal wrote:

I know that feeling for sure, I lived in Metairie, LA for 10 years. Ive seen them numerous times in little shithole venues. Good shows and definitely worth it.

Hell yeah, Goatwhore is great. I've only gotten to see them once when they played with Amon Amarth, Skeletonwitch, and The Absence in Atlanta.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:14 am

A few Wacken pictures....

Dolk, the lead singer, commented that their music is not well suited to the bright sun!!! :lol: :lol: true! (it was about 80 F and extremely bright sun)

Blurry but good memory for me of the cool fire show :death:

TARJA!!!!
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

by Soulreaper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am

Some nice pics...

I absolutely love Wacken. I went in 06, 07, and 08 when I was stationed in Germany and it was some of the best times I've ever had.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 am

tyrwoman wrote:A few Wacken pictures....

^ ^ ^ ^
    MORE!!

:headbanger: :shred: :deathmetal:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:42 am

Soulreaper wrote:Some nice pics...

I absolutely love Wacken. I went in 06, 07, and 08 when I was stationed in Germany and it was some of the best times I've ever had.

thanks, and cool you went three times! Also, my two times were some of the best I've ever hard - the experience is kinda undescribable. Another American woman I met there last summer (and who I'm rooming with on the cruise :cool: ) called it a "Metal Marathon" :headbanger: :headbanger:

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:A few Wacken pictures....

^ ^ ^ ^
    MORE!!
    :headbanger: :shred: :deathmetal:

Oh man....I have tons more :lol: , but think I'll just post a few more of the band shots here when I get home later (only uploaded some to flickr so far). Some of my favorites are actually crowd/people shots....in a few minutes I'll put a few of those on the "post your pic" thread. :headbanger: :headbanger:
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:19 am

Soulreaper wrote:
    Monmisreal wrote:

Hell yeah, Goatwhore is great. I've only gotten to see them once when they played with Amon Amarth, Skeletonwitch, and The Absence in Atlanta.

Yea, Ben always puts on a great show no matter which band hes touring with at the time. I prefer to see Ben with Soilent Green, but I wont skip out on a Goatwhore show either.

My girl, Daenerys on here, and I saw that same show in Orlando. The venue was very entertaining because the second floor of the venue is a "clubby" bar so the people there were looking down at Amon Amarth with the most confused expressions.
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

by Soulreaper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am

Haha, that would have been hilarious to see. Was a really cool show though. I've seen Amon Amarth probably about 8 times now. Just a really fun band. Skeletonwitch was the other one I really wanted to see again. They have some really kick ass freaking songs.
    Metal Heart
    Crewman

by Metal Heart » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Hypocrisy, currently I am in the lonest show dead zone of 3 months I have ever had and im going insaine , I have to wait on Nevermore next month which as always will be sick
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Metal Heart wrote:Hypocrisy, currently I am in the lonest show dead zone of 3 months I have ever had and im going insaine , I have to wait on Nevermore next month which as always will be sick

Santa Cruz?....cool! I used to ditch school and hang out at Santa Cruz back in the day!.I heard they have like little mini-concerts there now lol :beerwink:
    ....soooooo....what's tattoo'd on the lip??
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:34 pm

debborah1 wrote:
    Metal Heart wrote:Hypocrisy, currently I am in the lonest show dead zone of 3 months I have ever had and im going insaine , I have to wait on Nevermore next month which as always will be sick

Santa Cruz?....cool! I used to ditch school and hang out at Santa Cruz back in the day!.I heard they have like little mini-concerts there now lol :beerwink:
    ....soooooo....what's tattoo'd on the lip??

I was waiting for Nilay to come out of the little girls room at the Scorpions gig in LA a couple weeks ago. Some kid comes up to me to comment on my DIO memorial shirt (actually I think he wanted to hug me). Anyway he and his buddies were from Santa Cruz.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Soulreaper wrote:Haha, that would have been hilarious to see. Was a really cool show though. I've seen Amon Amarth probably about 8 times now. Just a really fun band. Skeletonwitch was the other one I really wanted to see again. They have some really kick ass freaking songs.

Not only that but SW is extremely entertaining live. There was a show my girl and I went to a year or two ago where I managed to fall asleep on her during the opening bands. I usually work 6/7am-3/4pm. We got to this HORRIBLE venue in Tampa only to find out that there were 6-7 bands playing instead of the 3 that were on the flier. We were sitting on these two barstools and the opening bands really sucked. Midnightish or later comes around and I was beat from work so I passed the hell out leaning on her. She didnt realize it at first but eventually woke me up for SW lmao. Cant even remember any of the opening bands but they were horrible enough for me to fall asleep sitting up.
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:00 pm

I want to see Hypocrisy soooo damn bad. The ONE chance I had to see them they werent able to show up because of visa issues. I guess it was extremely last minute because I didnt hear anything about it and had no clue until the third of fourth band in the set. I believe Blackguard finally mentioned Hypocrisy couldnt make it. I should have taken the hint when they only had one shirt for sale and none of the other bands mentioning them. Thank god Ensiferum was there or the two hour trip would have infuriated me.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Just picked up tickets to see Kamelot on October 1st in Hollywood. If anyone's going to that (though I get the impression that a lot of you are not into power metal) let me know and I'll buy you a drink. My friend is coming from Louisiana for it (he's also my cabin-mate on the cruise), so it should be a pretty good time.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Do auditions count? :twisted:

NAILED IT!!! :shred: :headbanger: :heavydrink:

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:07 am

Ecliptica wrote:Just picked up tickets to see Kamelot on October 1st in Hollywood. If anyone's going to that (though I get the impression that a lot of you are not into power metal) let me know and I'll buy you a drink. My friend is coming from Louisiana for it (he's also my cabin-mate on the cruise), so it should be a pretty good time.

Hey, I'm seeing them next month here with Leave's Eyes - can't wait! I had never seen them before last week at Wacken and they put on a phenomenal show - the huge crowd was so into them too which was great. Khan's voice is fantastic. I only have one of their albums - The Black Halo which is awesome. I found out about them and that album originally because of Shagrath's guest bit on March of Mephisto :cool: :cool: Anyway - I definitely need to buy more of their stufff. They were advertising their new album a lot on the big screens at Wacken which I don't think is out yet. Are there some older albums besides Black Halo you would recommend?

Here's a pic of them from last week...

and one of Alice Cooper....
    Soulreaper
    Oiler

by Soulreaper » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:20 am

tyrwoman wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:Just picked up tickets to see Kamelot on October 1st in Hollywood. If anyone's going to that (though I get the impression that a lot of you are not into power metal) let me know and I'll buy you a drink. My friend is coming from Louisiana for it (he's also my cabin-mate on the cruise), so it should be a pretty good time.

Hey, I'm seeing them next month here with Leave's Eyes - can't wait! I had never seen them before last week at Wacken and they put on a phenomenal show - the huge crowd was so into them too which was great. Khan's voice is fantastic. I only have one of their albums - The Black Halo which is awesome. I found out about them and that album originally because of Shagrath's guest bit on March of Mephisto :cool: :cool: Anyway - I definitely need to buy more of their stufff. They were advertising their new album a lot on the big screens at Wacken which I don't think is out yet. Are there some older albums besides Black Halo you would recommend?

Im seeing them next month too and I cant wait.

I highly suggest there albums Karma and Epica. Really great albums. Also there newest one, Ghost Opera, was pretty damn good in my opinion. The title track for that album is just killer.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:08 am

Soulreaper wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:

Im seeing them next month too and I cant wait.

I highly suggest there albums Karma and Epica. Really great albums. Also there newest one, Ghost Opera, was pretty damn good in my opinion. The title track for that album is just killer.

I MAY be there, we hit HOB Hollywood a lot and Although Nilay LOVES Kamelot, she has a prior commitment so I will be solo for that one.
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    vainglory
    Petty Officer

by vainglory » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:36 am

I take it you're not going to Destroyer666 w/me on Tuesday?

(yes yes I know Destroyer666 my own special thing)
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:49 am

vainglory wrote:

Have a kickass time Kisha!! :headbanger:
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:57 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Do auditions count? :twisted:

NAILED IT!!! :shred: :headbanger: :heavydrink:

FUCK YEAH BUDDY!
    Congrats :cheers:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks bro... check my FB status. It was WAY more fun that I thought it would be and really brought me back to a great place :headbanger:

Metal Heart
    Crewman

by Metal Heart » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:08 pm

vainglory wrote:

:deathmetal: you picking my ass punk ass up? id be down for sure in that case.
    Metal Heart
    Crewman

by Metal Heart » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:15 pm

Monmisreal wrote:

I want to see Hypocrisy soooo damn bad. The ONE chance I had to see them they werent able to show up because of visa issues. I guess it was extremely last minute because I didnt hear anything about it and had no clue until the third of fourth band in the set. I believe Blackguard finally mentioned Hypocrisy couldnt make it. I should have taken the hint when they only had one shirt for sale and none of the other bands mentioning them. Thank god Ensiferum was there or the two hour trip would have infuriated me.

That was lame but at least that way hypocrisy headlined. also to my above post whats an ass punk ass? lol
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Metal Heart wrote:also to my above post whats an ass punk ass? lol

:lol: :P :lol:

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:46 am

On a whim, went to see the ska band The English Beat at a small club in my neighborhood last night - fun and nostalgic show for me. I believe lead singer Dave Wakeling (also of 80's band General Public) is the only original member - good line-up of musicians though.

Next up and for something completely different....
    Slayer, Megadeth, and Testament on Friday (onenight...I looked at my ticket and I'm in section 112, row U, seat 4 - hope to see ya there!) :cheers:
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 am

Just saw Cynic last night, in their first South Florida appearance in 16 years. Being from here originally, you'd think they would've gotten back around here sooner. The little yoga stretch excercise audience interaction was a bit too much. That, and I think Masvidal (with his limited voice) needs to not try and sing any of the Portal stuff (he was straining). Other then that, they played everything spot on.

Next up for me is Exodus/Malevolent Creation/Bonded By Blood/Holy Grail on September 5th.

Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax on October 3rd

Good times! :headbanger:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    theRose
    Oiler

by theRose » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Last gig:
    Deathstars (May 29th)

Next gigs:
    Sonata Arctica (Oct 28th)
    Avantasia (Dec 15th)
    Cradle Of Filth (Dec 17th)

(All of them in Buenos Aires, Argentina, of course.)

Can't wait for December!!
Post Reply 8246 posts