Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

Re: Black Metal

by EvilDan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 am

Laura, have you watched "Until The Light Takes Us" yet? I think a while back you mentioned someone not caring for it, but that you hadn't seen it yet. I watched it again yesterday because my sister had watched it and had some questions. I think she got unnerved by the music, since she's not accustomed to it, and it seemed to put her on edge.

No real topic direction from a narrator. It's mostly just Gylve and Varg, and others, in their own words. Obviously, the editing is important, but it's still "in their own words".

Some of the information is likely old news, but I still found it interesting.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 am

soundcurve wrote:Haha, yea I think we will be more in a party mode than getting into deeper topics! Controversy in Judas being black? :lol: That should be with Jesus being white. More so, seems black metal love St. Peter! :lol:

Oh, don't worry - I promise I won't corner anyone into an unwanted :lol: "serious cat" discussion....well, and IF I do, anyone can feel free to politely tell me to stfu. :lol:
    Re the casting of JCS, I believe I remember reading that since Ian Gillan of Deep Purple sang the title role in the original 1970 JCS recording, he was considered for the 1973 movie role...but he was too busy with Deep Purple to do it at that time, plus the fact the casting directors wanted a blond haired/blue-eyed Jesus (Ted Neeley) for the role - not too authentic I suspect. ;)

EvilDan wrote:Laura, have you watched "Until The Light Takes Us" yet? I think a while back you mentioned someone not caring for it, but that you hadn't seen it yet. I watched it again yesterday because my sister had watched it and had some questions. I think she got unnerved by the music, since she's not accustomed to it, and it seemed to put her on edge.

No real topic direction from a narrator. It's mostly just Gylve and Varg, and others, in their own words. Obviously, the editing is important, but it's still "in their own words".

nope - still haven't seen it - I mentioned some time ago here that a good friend of mine saw it in the theater and really didn't care for it - can't remember why now exactly (and she's a black metal fan). I still want to see it sometime though - just haven't gotten around to it.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 am

Laura wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Laura, have you watched "Until The Light Takes Us" yet? I think a while back you mentioned someone not caring for it, but that you hadn't seen it yet. I watched it again yesterday because my sister had watched it and had some questions. I think she got unnerved by the music, since she's not accustomed to it, and it seemed to put her on edge.

nope - still haven't seen it - I mentioned some time ago here that a good friend of mine saw it in the theater and really didn't care for it - can't remember why now exactly (and she's a black metal fan). I still want to see it sometime though - just haven't gotten around to it.

i mentioned on this forum a while back that the whole movie was old news and anyone who paid attention to black metal in the 90s wouldn't be seeing anything new with this movie. if you didn't really know much about the whole musical movement, then i'd recommend it. other than that....there will be little in it you didn't already know, if anything.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    Laura wrote:

i mentioned on this forum a while back that the whole movie was old news and anyone who paid attention to black metal in the 90s wouldn't be seeing anything new with this movie. if you didn't really know much about the whole musical movement, then i'd recommend it. other than that....there will be little in it you didn't already know, if anything.

I didn't actually pay much attention to Black Metal in the 90s, but did a lot of catching up over the last decade. And a lot of what I know came from reading. So for me, it was interesting to SEE them talking. A lot of the words were the same as I had seen elsewhere, but with communication being 95% non-verbal, I was able to read a lot in their inflection and body language giving me a more accurate view of their psychological make-up.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am

oh yeah i totally agree - that's why anyone who wasn't following the scene much back when SHOULD see this! :beerhorns:
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

WizardBeast wrote:oh yeah i totally agree - that's why anyone who wasn't following the scene much back when SHOULD see this! :beerhorns:

Or anyone following the Kerrang! and other sensationalist media.

There is actually a quote from Varg in this movie that made me write a treatise on why America is PURELY Satanic, and why Varg should love it. One of those love's labors... I'll be right there, Sisyphus.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:oh yeah i totally agree - that's why anyone who wasn't following the scene much back when SHOULD see this! :beerhorns:

There is actually a quote from Varg in this movie that made me write a treatise on why America is PURELY Satanic, and why Varg should love it. One of those love's labors... I'll be right there, Sisyphus.

'Varg = Scandinavian redneck if there ever was one!
    Skwizgar
    Petty Officer

by Skwizgar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:

What's kind of creepy but funny at the same time is that Varg looks a lot like an older version of my nephew, Chase, who shreds guitar in a Christian rock band. I'm partly to blame, because I got him his first guitar when he was in high scool, a B.C. Rich Warlock. I thought it was amusingly ironic that he started out playing that guitar in his church band.

Alas, Chase didn't adopt my tastes in music.

Oh, well. At least he'll never kill anyone who would willingly self-apply the name "Euronymous".

:shred:
    Amon Amarth - Gorgoroth - (the reanimated corps of) Celtic Frost - Bloodhag -[b] [b]- um, what where we talking about?
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Skwizgar wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Or anyone following the Kerrang! and other sensationalist media.

What's kind of creepy but funny at the same time is that Varg looks a lot like an older version of my nephew, Chase, who shreds guitar in a Christian rock band. I'm partly to blame, because I got him his first guitar when he was in high scool, a B.C. Rich Warlock. I thought it was amusingly ironic that he started out playing that guitar in his church band.

Alas, Chase didn't adopt my tastes in music.

Oh, well. At least he'll never kill anyone who would willingly self-apply the name "Euronymous".

:shred:

i would probably drool over Chase, but also disagree with his taste in music, LOL
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 am

:shock: Negură Bunget......
    How did I never listen to this band before? I bought a bunch of tickets online last night including one for NB on April 29. Decided to go because it's only $10 and I have some friends (whose music taste I admire and is similar to mine) who are big fans. So....bought their album Om last night cold and on a second listen now. Really amazing I think....I have a hard time sometimes describing why I like something (especially when it's something I'm really crazy about!) - but here are a few words that popped in my head - complex, atmospheric, magic, intense, moody, and last but not least - spooky! I believe this is one of those bands (like a handful of other favorites upon hearing them for the first time), that I need to have everything asap. I realize all will not be like Om or perhaps as amazing - but really curious to hear their whole discography.

The first 3 songs of Om in particular are killer...this third track Primul Om reminds me of another recent favorite - Norway's Wardruna, as well as a lot of space/ambient/world stuff I've listened to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6vdbSU7 ... ata_player
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:26 am

Laura wrote::shock: Negură Bunget......
    How did I never listen to this band before? I bought a bunch of tickets online last night including one for NB on April 29. Decided to go because it's only $10 and I have some friends (whose music taste I admire and is similar to mine) who are big fans. So....bought their album Om last night cold and on a second listen now. Really amazing I think....I have a hard time sometimes describing why I like something (especially when it's something I'm really crazy about!) - but here are a few words that popped in my head - complex, atmospheric, intense, moody, and last but not least - spooky! I believe this is one of those bands (like a handful of other favorites upon hearing them for the first time), that I need to have everything asap. I realize all will not be like Om or perhaps as amazing - but really curious to hear their whole discography.

Just so you know, only the drummer is continuing with the band with new members. Guitarist and bassist left a few years ago.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am

^^^ actually, I did read that - hopefully whoever is touring/in the group now, can decently pull-off the sound of the original members. Ha - maybe that's why the gig is only $10 and booked in a dive bar in the neighborhood just north of mine.

Another great one - track 4 of Om
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYLjQhQ ... ata_player
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 am

FYI Laura, the two main songwriters from Negura Bunget have formed a new band since the split, which will most likely continue with a similar sound as Negura Bunget: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dordeduh/3540313662
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ actually, I did read that - hopefully whoever is touring/in the group now, can decently pull-off the sound of the original members. Ha - maybe that's why the gig is only $10 and booked in a dive bar in the neighborhood just north of mine.

Hey Laura... I am also going to be seeing Negura Bunget in San Diego in a dive bar not to far from my house. Steph told me about these guys a while back. She loves them.

My friends Ruines ov Abaddon are opening up for them. Should be a cool show. :beerhorns:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:40 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    Laura wrote:^^^ actually, I did read that - hopefully whoever is touring/in the group now, can decently pull-off the sound of the original members. Ha - maybe that's why the gig is only $10 and booked in a dive bar in the neighborhood just north of mine.

Hey Laura... I am also going to be seeing Negura Bunget in San Diego in a dive bar not to far from my house. Steph told me about these guys a while back. She loves them.

My friends Ruines ov Abaddon are opening up for them. Should be a cool show. :beerhorns:

Damn, I wish I could go to that show. Saw it was at Molly Malone's. That place rules!
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Goddess of Metal wrote:

Damn, I wish I could go to that show. Saw it was at Molly Malone's. That place rules!

Actually, it is not. It is at the Ruby Room in Hillcrest. I like Molly's too. :D Either way wish you could go. ;)
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2024 - Deck 7
    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Angel.Dust-/-Angra-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Conception-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Devin.Townsend-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Helloween-/-In.Extremo-/-Kamelot-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Powerwolf-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Riot.V-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Serenity-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Twilight.Force-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warkings-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wintersun-/-Zebra
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:

Awesome Margie! I'm really looking forward to that Negura Bunget gig! I'm loving the 3 albums I bought of theirs recently - if you don't have them, I can mail copies to you.

Next black metal gig for me is this - a week from Saturday. Just found out yesterday that Matt (nekrobarr) is going as well - should be a fun :trashdrink: and interesting :beerhorns: night! Starts at 5 pm and goes till 1 am - that's a lotta bm. :P Decided to go to this over Goatwhore at Reggies, since this Cafe Lura place (never been) sounds kinda cool and it's on Chicago's north side (way more conveniently located for me - just a quick bus ride or cab away). :D Margie - you may get a kick out of this since you're from Chicago originally - daughter Genevieve is going to a good friend's bar mitzvah that same night - after the ceremony at the synagogue, the kids are all getting bussed to - get this - The Cubby Bear - for the afterparty....no doubt with a dj playing http://b96.radio.com/ type music. (and a hop, skip and a jump from the :beerhorns: fest I'll be at :P ) For those non-native Chicagoans, The Cubby Bear is a popular bar/club located right across from the Cubs Wrigley Field - I imagine that the parents are paying a lot to rent that place out on a Saturday night! :shock: (although I think it ends by 10pm)

There is a satanist organization called The Cathedral of the Black Goat but I don't know if they are really involved with organizing this fest or if someone is just using the name because it sounds kvlt. :P
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 am

That's a ton of spiky logos right there, should be a fun gig :beerhorns:

Laura wrote:Image

There is a satanist organization called The Cathedral of the Black Goat but I don't know if they are really involved with organizing this fest or if someone is just using the name because it sounds kvlt. :P
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 am

Manticore are my mates from Cleveland.... :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:15 pm

shaneos wrote:That's a ton of spiky logos right there, should be a fun gig :beerhorns:

ha - spiky logos indeed! :cool: That remark reminded me of an interesting article I came across here at work (here till 9 pm tonight) some years back in a magazine called Art Papers. The title is great - "Crypto Logo Jihad: Black Metal and the Aesthetics of Evil." An earlier version was published in a Dutch magazine called Metropolis M and is online here: http://metropolism.com/magazine/2007-no ... ad/english

I'm glad the poster for this local Cathedral of the Black Goat Black Metal Festival listed the band names at the bottom. ;) And yes - it should be a good time! Been doing lots of fun things since the cruise, but am going through a bit of withdrawal on the metal gig/party front. :beerwink:

WizardBeast wrote:Manticore are my mates from Cleveland.... :beerhorns:

Cool!
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Laura wrote:
    shaneos wrote:That's a ton of spiky logos right there, should be a fun gig :beerhorns:

ha - spiky logos indeed! :cool: That remark reminded me of an interesting article I came across here at work (here till 9 pm tonight) some years back in a magazine called Art Papers. The title is great - "Crypto Logo Jihad: Black Metal and the Aesthetics of Evil." An earlier version was published in a Dutch magazine called Metropolis M and is online here: http://metropolism.com/magazine/2007-no ... ad/english

I'm glad the poster for this local Cathedral of the Black Goat Black Metal Festival listed the band names at the bottom. ;) And yes - it should be a good time! Been doing lots of fun things since the cruise, but am going through a bit of withdrawal on the metal gig/party front. :beerwink:

WizardBeast wrote:Manticore are my mates from Cleveland.... :beerhorns:

Cool!

I like this quote, lol:

The American Roberto Martinelli, editor in chief of the online magazine Maelstrom, writes: ‘A logo plays a huge part in the image of a company or product. This is also certainly the case with bands.... In black metal particularly, there is a certain revered aesthetic, like spikiness, illegibility, intricacy; to those things are added that intangible element that tells the connoisseur “this is a cult album that is worth your time"

Just like these gems from a previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1747&start=40#p73031
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Okay, here's some black metal for you peeps:

HAIL SPIRIT NOIR (Greece psychedelic black prog): http://soundcloud.com/angry-metal-guy/h ... ire-pneuma

I DIVINE (Hungry, ex members of Sear Bliss): http://www.last.fm/music/I+Divine
    (they only have 2 songs right now, but you can download for free on the last.fm page)

DORDEDUH (ex Negura Bunget members Hupogrammos & Sol Faur) https://www.facebook.com/Dordeduh?sk=app_2405167945
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Hail Satan(?) and Black Metal! Figured I'd check into my favorite forum post with a little down time here in Hawai'i (yes I am suffering :lol: ) due to rain. Maybe all the good tours have been posted but holy shit some good stuff coming for black metal folk to the U.S. All this goodness I think might make me skip MDF. I mean Agalloch and Morbid Angel are two bands I'd love to see, but hard for me to mender through so much when you have these gems crossing the States.

Behemoth, Watain (Mmmm, been dying for dead animal smell), TDB, and In Solitude http://decibelmagazinetickets.com/

Followed by this unholy goodness!

Marduk, 1349, Weapon: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... mID=170824

As for tunes, scopin a old school band (88 - now) I missed, "Root". Some hype around "heritage of Satan" (Watain, Behemoth, etc.) and recently bought "The Book". Great stuff. Reminds me of old Moonspell at times.

Hail! :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 am

soundcurve wrote:Behemoth, Watain (Mmmm, been dying for dead animal smell), TDB, and In Solitude http://decibelmagazinetickets.com/

Followed by this unholy goodness!

Marduk, 1349, Weapon: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... mID=170824

This is awesome news - didn't know about this tour until you posted it. That's a sure thing in my book. :beerhorns:

Behemoth ticket? Check! (had mine for awhile for Friday the 13th baby! :? :lol: )

Cool you are/were in Hawaii - beautiful place! :D
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 am

Just a note for ya Laura, I know you have professed your love for Frost all over these broads in the past but it looks like he won't be drumming for 1349 on the tour. The band is using the drummer from Job for a Cowboy on the tour. Not sure why.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 pm

mooyagi wrote:Just a note for ya Laura, I know you have professed your love for Frost all over these broads in the past

:P Ryan, your wording here kinda cracked me up - makes me sound like some crazed tweeny-bopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. :oops: :beerwink: :lol:

But, ah yes, Frost is awesome in my book (for several reasons :P ), and I didn't know he wasn't going to be on this tour. Boo. Still hoping Satyricon and/or 1349 (with Frost) will be on Barge to Hell though!
  • DemonNIN
    Midshipman

by DemonNIN » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Laura wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Just a note for ya Laura, I know you have professed your love for Frost all over these broads in the past

:P Ryan, your wording here kinda cracked me up - makes me sound like some crazed tweeny-bopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. :oops: :beerwink: :lol:

But, ah yes, Frost is awesome in my book (for several reasons :P ), and I didn't know he wasn't going to be on this tour. Boo. Still hoping Satyricon and/or 1349 (with Frost) will be on Barge to Hell though!

Yeah I would also love for Satyricon to be on Barge to Hell :metalguy: Saw them once a few years back they were amazing
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
    CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
    CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
    CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
    CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
    CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
    CABIN #6707 ; 2016
    CABIN #6407 ; 2017
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Laura wrote: :P Ryan, your wording here kinda cracked me up - makes me sound like some crazed tweeny-bopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. :oops: :beerwink: :lol:

You mean you're not some crazed tweeny-bopper? :shock: :P
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:18 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Laura wrote: :P Ryan, your wording here kinda cracked me up - makes me sound like some crazed tweeny-bopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. :oops: :beerwink: :lol:

You mean you're not some crazed tweeny-bopper? :shock: :P

:lol: crazed tweeny-bopper*? - in my arrested development mental state, absolutely.

to the casual observer however, I think the proper term would be dirty old woman. :mrgreen: :lol:

*since tween is someone age 12 and under, I edit my original comment to teeny-bopper. (13 and up) :P
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 pm

Dirty LUSH is more appropriate :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:10 pm

KevinP wrote:Dirty LUSH is more appropriate :mrgreen:

haha, good one, Mr. P. Come to think of it, Peter once referred to "we drunkards" and at the time I said I preferred the word lush, tyvm. (And I do remember your fb comment from a while back that I was "one acid hit away from being Irish." Now THAT was/is funny. :lol: :beerwink:

back to....

what....

topic?

Oh yes, meant to bring up the following that I posted on facebook - just gonna copy and paste because I'm feeling lazy....except the names of the people who responded are removed.
    ;)

Me on March 8, 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_RaCM-1ug Until The Light Takes Us (Official Trailer)
    I bought this and watched it for the first time last night - thought it was really well done and I enjoyed it a lot. Although I already knew a lot about the subject matter, I thought the interviews were really interesting. It was cool to recognize several of the scenes of Olso (e.g. Elm Street Rock Cafe, Karl Johans Gate) & Bergen (the rebuilt Fantoft Stave Church and other downtown scenes) where I was the past two summers.

Canadian gal: I watched this about 6 months ago and found the same thing, well, except for the recognizing Oslo thing! Though not much of the info was new to me I thought it was put together really well and was really interesting to watch. There's some great "quotable Fenriz" in that doc! :) I was just thinking yesterday about a part where he says something about either his own work or Norwegian black metal in general being less a reaction to injustice or oppression and more "the exhaustion of easy life". Maybe I'll watch that again tonight.... :)
    March 8 at 6:57pm

Me: There are some great lines throughout - I plan to watch it again (slowly - stopping & starting) and write them down and do a full review perhaps on the 70K Black Metal thread.
    March 8 at 7:02pm

American guy: I've had a copy for a while... haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
    March 8 at 7:06pm

Me: It's really great! - I seem to recall my friend Carol saying she didn't care for it when she saw it in the theater (and I often agree with her on such things) - so I had it on my "back burner" for awhile. Looking forward to watching it again! I'm embarrassed to admit that Darkthrone is one of the last major BM bands I've yet to listen to. Since Fenriz is so prominent in the movie, I def. want to check them out now!
    March 8 at 7:11pm

American guy: In that case, start with "A Blaze in the Northern Sky" and ignore anyone who tells you "Under a Funeral Moon" instead. Since you're a librarian, is it safe to assume you're familiar with "Lords of Chaos?"
    March 8 at 7:15pm

Norwegian guy: And listen to Circle the wagons to thats an good album too not as "true norwegian black metal" the album for the beer drinking headbanger not the blood drinking headbanger as A blaze in the northern sky is :p
    March 8 at 7:58pm · Unlike · 2

Canadian gal: ‎^^^ Yep, Circle The Wagons is great! You're well versed in black metal, so relateability isn't an issue so much, but it's a neat album on many levels and must be enjoyed! :)
    March 8 at 8:07pm

Norwegian guy: But hail to the metal gods that Culto and Fenriz is for making A blaze in the northern sky that album is the definition of what black metal is, Circle the wagons more easy listening metal
    March 8 at 8:30pm

Me: thanks for the Darkthrone recommendations - plan to listen and/or buy some this weekend *cheers*

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Was not a fan of the film. Gave no new information and it really seemed like it was just a forum for Fenriz to fuck around and for Varg Vikernes to spout off his bullshit.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 pm

mooyagi wrote:Was not a fan of the film. Gave no new information and it really seemed like it was just a forum for Fenriz to fuck around and for Varg Vikernes to spout off his bullshit.

well, we'll have to agree to disagree - I give it an A - loved it, loved it, loved it. I haven't watched it again yet to make notes of some of the quotes and so on...but hope to do that soooooon. Also, if I ever get around to it - may post more pics & commentary from my rather amusing & fun adventure (well, it was to me anyway :lol: ) making the trek out of Bergen to see the rebuilt Fantoft stave church that Varg burnt down. (This was on the Sunday after 4 consecutive nights of HITS gigs and on a hangover to boot :trashdrink: :lol: )
    Last edited by Laura on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Laura wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Was not a fan of the film. Gave no new information and it really seemed like it was just a forum for Fenriz to fuck around and for Varg Vikernes to spout off his bullshit.

well, we'll have to agree to disagree - I give it an A - loved it, loved it, loved it. I haven't watched it again yet to make notes of some of the quotes and so on...but hope to do that soooooon. Also, if I ever get around to it - may post more pics & commentary from my rather amusing & fun adventure (well, it was to me anyway :lol: ) making the trek out of Bergen to see the rebuilt Fantoft stave church that Varg burnt down (the day after 4 consecutive nights of HITS gigs and on a hangover to boot :trashdrink: :lol: )

I would love to hear about the trip to Fantoft. Stave churches look really cool.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:44 pm

^^^ I'll get on that....soon. ;) For now, this is how the story for that day began....

Once upon a time, an American woman took a trip to Paradis* :beerwink: ....

*train stop closest to the church, and then a 20 minute or so walk from there...the neighborhood of Paradis (means paradise :D ) is actually still part of the city of Bergen, but outside of the city center
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Laura wrote:This is awesome news - didn't know about this tour until you posted it. That's a sure thing in my book. :beerhorns:

Behemoth ticket? Check! (had mine for awhile for Friday the 13th baby! :? :lol: )

Cool you are/were in Hawaii - beautiful place! :D

No frost but hey I am sure you'll see a new Saytricon album soon and see them on tour so just enjoy. I am sure the Job for a Cowboy guy can pull it off. Just might not hit the snare as hard :beerwink:

Yea, Maui is awesome!

Oh, A band I discovered while on vacation is pretty good if you dig older moonspell. It is up my alley of the dark/goth/black metal/satan thing. I got their newest album as it has the dude from Watain and behemoth on it (above). It isn’t bad but researched em more and they have a album call “The Book” out in 1999 and it is a great, organic album. Apparently they are a big part of the 2nd wave of BM (88 on). Scope em if ya care: Corabeu (pt. 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qRxFoU-a9E

Apparently the lead singer started the church of Satan in Czech Republic. My kinda folk :beerhorns:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Laura wrote:well, we'll have to agree to disagree - I give it an A - loved it, loved it, loved it. I haven't watched it again yet to make notes of some of the quotes and so on...but hope to do that soooooon. Also, if I ever get around to it - may post more pics & commentary from my rather amusing & fun adventure (well, it was to me anyway :lol: ) making the trek out of Bergen to see the rebuilt Fantoft stave church that Varg burnt down. (This was on the Sunday after 4 consecutive nights of HITS gigs and on a hangover to boot :trashdrink: :lol: )

I am with ya. I enjoyed the flick a lot. If you get the 2 disk dvd version there is a "lesson in black metal" from Fenriz which is pretty funny and on point. I don't care for Darkthrone but the guy knows his black metal and then some. I also liked they used other music aside from black metal. I think it did a good job of telling the story to people who aren't internet metal nerds (I had co-workers who don't listen to metal coming up to me saying they saw it and enjoyed it). It also did a good job demonstrating the punk and teen/young-folk rebellion of the musical movement of black metal becoming commercial.

And who could forget the tap dancing jazz hands of Harmony Korine, haha :lol: To his credit though, he makes movies that encapsulate teen desolation which I think many of black metal songs are capable of achieving if executed right. Even using Burzum in his movies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHa19rCQxhg
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:10 pm

soundcurve wrote:Yea, Maui is awesome!

No time for a big black metal post at the moment....but Maui? Woo!! Don't know if you're still there and maybe you've done this already....but did you go to Haleakela at sunrise? OMG - my husband and I still talk that 3 hour drive up the switch back roads in the middle of the night so we could see the sun rise out of the Haleakela crater. Amazing. We loved Maui, but Kauai even more so. Are you and the wife going there too?
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Laura wrote:Are you and the wife going there too?

Sadly we are back and back to work :cry: Least it is Friday :cheers: So no Kauai . Sent PM as I didn't want to totally derail the darkest thread of dark blackness :D
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Just bought 3 NEW black metal albums (stop the presses :lol: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwDzT-HxkI8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVlI30krfic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3DPR9Piswo

2012 is already off with a bang :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
Post Reply 644 posts