Rank

Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Tucson, AZ, USA

Re: Black Metal

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:29 am

Bentz! wrote:
mooyagi wrote:
Bentz! wrote:Sorry if this is out of place, but the Jesus Christ Superstar stuff reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LyKxzw6cjg

"ROCK ME, SEXY JESUS" from Hamlet 2 (which I found very amusing)

My old softball team (league run by a local tavern) had entrance music for each batter. This was my song :deathhorns:

:lol: nice!
Did you come out of the dugout with a robe on? Cuz that would have been sweet!

Maybe I will next season :lol: I did do a crucifixion pose every time I reached base. I don't think my team was very popular :mrgreen:
I should get around to updating my signature
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

by KevinP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 am

EvilDan wrote:
KevinP wrote:And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

Not surprised you're not an expert on future releases, but how did you hear most of them? :shock:

Expert would imply that I know those records inside and out and have listened to them multiple times and maybe have them in my collection. None of those statements apply for me though :mrgreen:
WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm

mooyagi wrote:
Bentz! wrote:Sorry if this is out of place, but the Jesus Christ Superstar stuff reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LyKxzw6cjg

"ROCK ME, SEXY JESUS" from Hamlet 2 (which I found very amusing)

My old softball team (league run by a local tavern) had entrance music for each batter. This was my song :deathhorns:

sweet, if i ever had entrance music, it would be The Chicken Dance. because i'm so serious.
2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Jorn, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Persefone, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:19 pm

:lol: :lol: I seriously LOVE serious cat(s)!
Man...did I wig out big time on Jesus Christ Superstar and religion in the past 24 hours! :? :shock: :P (my brain is very fatigued because of it in fact....yet, dare I start a religion thread on off course next?? Hmmm...)

Kevin - re MDF 2012 - sad to say: no.can.do.
I'm sure it will be great and of course there will be many 70K folks there! I haven't looked at the line-up in awhile, but from what I remember, would love to see Agalloch, Godflesh, Archgoat and St. Vitus again - the last 3 I saw at HITS for the first time and really enjoyed.
:D
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User

EvilDan

Rank

Lieutenant

Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:05 am

Dallas

by EvilDan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:57 am

KevinP wrote:
EvilDan wrote:
KevinP wrote:And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

Not surprised you're not an expert on future releases, but how did you hear most of them? :shock:

Expert would imply that I know those records inside and out and have listened to them multiple times and maybe have them in my collection. None of those statements apply for me though :mrgreen:

FUTURE releases? :roll:
Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 am

by soundcurve » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Laura wrote:yet, dare I start a religion thread on off course next?? Hmmm...)

Tis' be dangerous waters young maiden. Folks can get pretty militant about religion. Rarely a area I get too up in arms about anymore just foreboding of the nature of human.

The last frontier where I still get a bit militant on is politics so that is the only thread I'd avoid as it is grounded in at least 1% fact. :D

Serious cat has nothing on my fave: SKEPTICAL CAT!!!

Last edited by soundcurve on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:51 pm

KevinP wrote:
soundcurve wrote:Not to derail the Black Metal Vortex of this thread but I know you are fairly rooted into old school DM but thoughts on corpse grinder-era Cannibal Corpse? perhaps a poll? :D I am finding Bloodthirst and the last two CC albums pretty up to par with my Eaten - Bleeding love of Barnes-era

I love Eaten back to Life. Wanted to like Butchered when it came out but it's too boring. Didn't like Tomb as Barnes started to sound really shitty. And I'm no expert on the future releases even though I've heard most of them.

I just don't care or enjoy this band at all. I never really cared for George in Monstrosity either.

Aye, well that is fine. I believe I am a little younger than ye so my golden era in death metal was Tombs, The Bleeding (eaten least loved) though "mangled", Mmmmm), and butchered loved since it had my "friend" Glenn Benton on "Vomit the Soul" and damn, "Meat hook sodomy" nothing? . . . really? :)). All I can say is you are missing out big on "the bleeding". I know there is a bit of magic happening in teenage years that makes one extra receptive to music but "the bleeding" still holds up as classic to me. I agree with Monstrosity. I never felt it and probably reasons why when "Vile" hit the stores I didn't feel it esp. since they dump all groove and got very technical. Thought Barnes was fine though up to Bleeding. Yes, I'd agree the six feet under vocals are horrid.

Oh well, those were my glory days of death metal and what I liked (along with carcass post "symphony" :lol: "Narcotism" FTW! . I know the genre has grown and has way more depth than that but it was my teen years and was driven. Relapse catalogs ordering the most vile looking cover art death metal at the time and taking a risk (per-internet saturation). Meat Shits, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Anal Cunt, Napalm Death, Desultory, General Surgery, Disincarnate, Meat Hook Seed, etc.

Any chance you know the dudes from Brutality? :lol: I remember getting ripped off (or lost in mail) of the tabs I paid for back in the day from the drummer (I was learning guitar at the time). Means nothing now more than comedy. But fuck I was 14 / 15 yrs. old and got dicked over on a 20 bucks MO :lol: . Working at a shit grocery store and having 20 bucks gone was big at the time. 5 bucks a hour, Rawwwwww!!!!!11!11!11!1!!!!! hehe.

On topic, I recall seeing "Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" a ton in those Relapse catalogs with all the sensational ads. Though never gave two shits . . . still don't. Can't get into to them to this day aside from the "prog album". Even though not a forum fave, I think Burzum dig a plethora more for the "2nd wave of black metal" than Mayhem ever did. - granted a matter of taste perhaps
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:27 am

soundcurve wrote:
Laura wrote:yet, dare I start a religion thread on off course next?? Hmmm...)

Tis' be dangerous waters young maiden. Folks can get pretty militant about religion. Rarely a area I get too up in arms about anymore just foreboding of the nature of human.

The last frontier where I still get a bit militant on is politics so that is the only thread I'd avoid as it is grounded in at least 1% fact. :D

Serious cat has nothing on my fave: SKEPTICAL CAT!!!

Nope - I is more Serious Cat. :P (although that Skeptical Cat looks exactly like our beloved cat Abbie without the icy stare. :lol: )
Not that I'm not skeptical, I am.

....partly why I could never call myself an athiest - that viewpoint has waaay too much certainly in it. ;)

Always thought I'd magically know and understand more when I got older - not so! If anything, I feel l know less and things are even more mysterious....a mental state that I have grown to become quite content and comfortable in. :P This is from hitting too many mental brick walls when it comes to figuring certain things out like God, why "bad things happen to good people," and so on...so that's why I call myself an agnostic (dictionary definition that fits my view well: a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.)

Back to black metal....
really looking forward to seeing Dark Funeral! And recently noticed they are coming to Chi-town soon after the cruise - may affect my game-time decision to see them once OR twice on the boat. :beerhorns:
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:46 am

Laura wrote:so that's why I call myself an agnostic (dictionary definition that fits my view well: a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.)

Back to black metal....
really looking forward to seeing Dark Funeral! And recently noticed they are coming to Chi-town soon after the cruise - may affect my game-time decision to see them once OR twice on the boat. :beerhorns:

Do you live by the agnostic code? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVrfqLVI7ZI :lol: (south park)

I'll probably scope Dark Funeral but honestly haven't gotten too much into them. That song "My funeral" wasn't bad but sounds like a hundred other black metal bands. Any album in particular you been listening too that you'd recommend?
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 pm

The Agnostic Code? :lol:
(and I'm probably the only person here who has never watched South Park. :shock: :shock: (only recently got "extra" TV channels - we're kinda "old school" ;) and never sought S.P. out elsewhere - I probably should ;) )

So... Dark Funeral....
I had only heard the name of the band before their cruise announcement....soon after bought their latest release Angelus Exuro Pro Eturnus - like it very much! On page 6 of this thread, I talked a lot about the song My Funeral and especially the video - really brilliant I think. Another song I was really getting into today from that album is Stigmata - rather STIG-MA-TA!! Awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVKWRGrb ... ata_player You mentioned you think they sound like a hundred other black metal bands. Perhaps? But I think you've listened to a ton more black metal bands than me - so I wouldn't know that necessarily. If they are sticking to a standard formula, I think they do it very well. ;)

The other album I have of theirs (bought a few weeks ago) is Vobuscum Satanas which I also like very much. I've read a fair amount of comments on their music, and I agree that a lot of what I've heard fits some common descriptive words: brutal, repetitive, and relentless. But, if you find that kind of thing appealing - I think they are masters at it! On the relentless and repetitive front, I've enjoyed a lot of *that* - from early 80s industrial to contemporary "rave" music. The song that I've been particularly fixated on for several months now that is ultra relentlessly repetitive (and I love it!) is the song Pulp (1990) by Godflesh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEmNyazJFo - it also has the ultimate stripped down lyrics - When on my own, I feel free, I can refuse. Arms wait enfold, Nothing left for me. Waiting. Pulp. Don't know if any of you 2012 MDFers are into Godflesh (I think they are on the bill), but they were one of my top five faves at HITS. Unfortunately, they didn't play Pulp at HITS, but played my second favorite by them - Christbait Rising http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsWv9nFLl_s - it was really loud and totally mesmerising....I was so into that set. :D :cool: I realize that kind of music is not to everyone's liking, but just sayin.' I can't explain why I like it really, I just do.

Back to Dark Funeral, the reason why I'm really keen on seeing a band like them live - is that kind of sound (preferably very loud) is to me best experienced live. Add to that - they'll be decked out all evil and I know I'll love it. :beerwink:
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 pm

^^^^
South Park can be pretty funny though some are hit and massive miss. You can watch em for free online at the main site though. I have little access to TV as well as I never watch it and feel it a waste to buy. I just recently watched that episode and when you said agnostic it reminded me of it. Apparently you are suppose to like Dr. Pepper too! haha.

Though I'd call myself a Agnostic (Regarding Atheism - "that viewpoint has waaay too much certainly in it. ;) " same reason, it is too absolute!) nowadays with religion though I use to go along with Deism - in religious philosophy is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that the universe is the product of an all-powerful creator. With all-powerful creator being left open to interpretation. Which is pretty much a Agnostic. In short, I am sure there is something greater out there but is that considered a god? meh. I don't believe in ghosts ( love ones never came back to visit me) or life after death though I feel our body is simply a vessel for all that what makes us a person. Seeing people I loved dead and the echo of "that is not them" in my head I realized the dead live on in the living with our memories. I understand the fear of death but think it is pretty much like going to sleep (hence why I LOVE Epicurus' Riddle, It tries to comfort fear). Do you really recall going to sleep and losing X hours? Do you recall your time in gestation? Why fear it? I feel it is nurturing the ego of (wo)man to think we live forever (afterlife). I think immortality can only be reached 3 ways: Have kids, Doing something horrible, Doing something great. I use to cycle this in my head a lot but now am more intrigued by people that can accept an unprovable on faith. I find faith kinda funny as it is just giving up to me. Why use the most awesome trait of being human to question and just pacify it with a false absolute? But I understand some people have different needs to get by day to day so avoid making a big stink about it. As long as no one is telling me "this is the only way" I can hang with any type of religious person. My faith will be always in humanity. We can do some horrible shit but at the same time can do some of the most mind blowing amazing things. The latter is what I wish for our future.

"Christbait Rising" is a great song. I can't say I am extremely hardcore into them but like two bands that they pretty much "made" and the reason they exist (and killing joke). They are Fear Factory and Prong. They owe a shit ton of cred to godflesh and omit it. They are definably a band (godflesh) I know with the mood and more listens I would like more. Hell I remember being into Scorn a ton which has their vibe.

As for Dark Funeral, I'll scope the newest more. I mean, Marduk can be lumped into what I'd consider a "Meats and Potatoes" type Black Metal band but their punk execution to playing and performance makes me respect them a ton more. They don't do anything extremely innovative but still strike a chord with me.
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 pm

^^^ this is a great, thoughtful post :cheers: and I guess I hadn't responded until now because I have too much on my mind on the religion front atm, and got too bollixed up trying to write anything halfway brief that made any sense. :lol: I highly doubt there will be time for such a discussion on the boat (or a desire to have such a conversation in that setting :beerwink: ) - but if there was, it would be nice to continue it there. :P

I must say for now though, just because I have *not* been able to get it out of my head (!) - that the Gethsemene (I only want to say) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mFBh2z ... re=related song from Jesus Christ Superstar has really stuck with me since I first brought it up several posts ago....I think many of the words are relevant to anyone who is facing imminent death, that is - the questioning, loneliness, fear, anger, the "bargaining" with god, final acceptance, and so on. I agree with what you said that it is a sad song of doubt....to me it is indeed that...and so much more. I always found the whole Jesus story (not to mention all the negative repercussions of Christianity) so incredibly sad. I think Andrew Lloyd Weber and Tim Rice (who I think were only in their early 20s when they wrote it) captured some aspects of that really well. I love it when songs have the power to be so meaningful to a person.

opening scene from the JCS movie (1973) - Heaven on Their Minds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDzxn66W3uM
(Carl Anderson - RIP - was so great in the Judas role and who I saw perform it live - I remember the controversy about the fact that they cast a black man as Judas)

My mind is clearer now
At last
All too well
I can see
Where we all
Soon will be
If you strip away
The myth
From the man
You will see
Where we all
Soon will be

Jesus!
You've started to believe
The things they say of you
You really do believe
This talk of God is true

And all the good you've done
Will soon be swept away
You've begun to matter more
Than the things you say

Listen Jesus
I don't like what I see
All I ask is that you listen to me
And remember
I've been your right hand man all along
You have set them all on fire
They think they've found the new Messiah
And they'll hurt you when they find they're wrong

I remember when this whole thing began
No talk of God then, we called you a man
And believe me
My admiration for you hasn't died
But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Nazareth's most famous son
Should have stayed a great unknown
Like his father carving wood
He'd have made good
Tables, chairs and oaken chests
Would have suited Jesus best
He'd have caused nobody harm
No one alarm

Listen Jesus, do you care for your race?
Don't you see we must keep in our place?
We are occupied
Have you forgotten how put down we are?
I am frightened by the crowd
For we are getting much too loud
And they'll crush us if we go too far
If we go too far

Listen Jesus to the warning I give
Please remember that I want us to live
But it's sad to see our chances weakening with ev'ry hour
All your followers are blind
Too much heaven on their minds

It was beautiful, but now it's sour
Yes it's all gone sour
Ah --- ah ah ah --- ah
God Jesus, it's all gone sour

Listen Jesus to the warning I give
Please remember that I want us to live
So come on, come on, listen to me.
Ah --- ah
Come on, listen, listen to me.
Come on and listen to me.
Ah --- ah

and not too adrift from the Black Metal topic since many bm types like to use the symbolism of the upside down cross, the antichrist, and so on......
the Crucifixion scene from JCS....(I can't think of any worse way to die :? )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER64Oe77NR8

User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 am

Laura wrote:^^^ this is a great, thoughtful post :cheers: and I guess I hadn't responded until now because I have too much on my mind on the religion front atm, and got too bollixed up trying to write anything halfway brief that made any sense. :lol: I highly doubt there will be time for such a discussion on the boat (or a desire to have such a conversation in that setting :beerwink: ) - but if there was, it would be nice to continue it there. :P

Haha, yea I think we will be more in a party mode than getting into deeper topics! Controversy in Judas being black? :lol: That should be with Jesus being white. More so, seems black metal love St. Peter! :lol:

User

EvilDan

Rank

Lieutenant

Dallas

by EvilDan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 am

Laura, have you watched "Until The Light Takes Us" yet? I think a while back you mentioned someone not caring for it, but that you hadn't seen it yet. I watched it again yesterday because my sister had watched it and had some questions. I think she got unnerved by the music, since she's not accustomed to it, and it seemed to put her on edge.

No real topic direction from a narrator. It's mostly just Gylve and Varg, and others, in their own words. Obviously, the editing is important, but it's still "in their own words".

Some of the information is likely old news, but I still found it interesting.

User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 am

soundcurve wrote:Haha, yea I think we will be more in a party mode than getting into deeper topics! Controversy in Judas being black? :lol: That should be with Jesus being white. More so, seems black metal love St. Peter! :lol:

Oh, don't worry - I promise I won't corner anyone into an unwanted :lol: "serious cat" discussion....well, and IF I do, anyone can feel free to politely tell me to stfu. :lol:
Re the casting of JCS, I believe I remember reading that since Ian Gillan of Deep Purple sang the title role in the original 1970 JCS recording, he was considered for the 1973 movie role...but he was too busy with Deep Purple to do it at that time, plus the fact the casting directors wanted a blond haired/blue-eyed Jesus (Ted Neeley) for the role - not too authentic I suspect. ;)

EvilDan wrote:Laura, have you watched "Until The Light Takes Us" yet? I think a while back you mentioned someone not caring for it, but that you hadn't seen it yet. I watched it again yesterday because my sister had watched it and had some questions. I think she got unnerved by the music, since she's not accustomed to it, and it seemed to put her on edge.

No real topic direction from a narrator. It's mostly just Gylve and Varg, and others, in their own words. Obviously, the editing is important, but it's still "in their own words".

nope - still haven't seen it - I mentioned some time ago here that a good friend of mine saw it in the theater and really didn't care for it - can't remember why now exactly (and she's a black metal fan). I still want to see it sometime though - just haven't gotten around to it.
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 am

Laura wrote:
EvilDan wrote:Laura, have you watched "Until The Light Takes Us" yet? I think a while back you mentioned someone not caring for it, but that you hadn't seen it yet. I watched it again yesterday because my sister had watched it and had some questions. I think she got unnerved by the music, since she's not accustomed to it, and it seemed to put her on edge.

nope - still haven't seen it - I mentioned some time ago here that a good friend of mine saw it in the theater and really didn't care for it - can't remember why now exactly (and she's a black metal fan). I still want to see it sometime though - just haven't gotten around to it.

i mentioned on this forum a while back that the whole movie was old news and anyone who paid attention to black metal in the 90s wouldn't be seeing anything new with this movie. if you didn't really know much about the whole musical movement, then i'd recommend it. other than that....there will be little in it you didn't already know, if anything.
2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Jorn, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Persefone, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum
User

EvilDan

Rank

Lieutenant

Dallas

by EvilDan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 am

WizardBeast wrote:
Laura wrote:

i mentioned on this forum a while back that the whole movie was old news and anyone who paid attention to black metal in the 90s wouldn't be seeing anything new with this movie. if you didn't really know much about the whole musical movement, then i'd recommend it. other than that....there will be little in it you didn't already know, if anything.

I didn't actually pay much attention to Black Metal in the 90s, but did a lot of catching up over the last decade. And a lot of what I know came from reading. So for me, it was interesting to SEE them talking. A lot of the words were the same as I had seen elsewhere, but with communication being 95% non-verbal, I was able to read a lot in their inflection and body language giving me a more accurate view of their psychological make-up.

User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:21 am

oh yeah i totally agree - that's why anyone who wasn't following the scene much back when SHOULD see this! :beerhorns:
User

EvilDan

Rank

Lieutenant

Dallas

by EvilDan » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

WizardBeast wrote:oh yeah i totally agree - that's why anyone who wasn't following the scene much back when SHOULD see this! :beerhorns:

Or anyone following the Kerrang! and other sensationalist media.

There is actually a quote from Varg in this movie that made me write a treatise on why America is PURELY Satanic, and why Varg should love it. One of those love's labors... I'll be right there, Sisyphus.

User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm

EvilDan wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:oh yeah i totally agree - that's why anyone who wasn't following the scene much back when SHOULD see this! :beerhorns:

There is actually a quote from Varg in this movie that made me write a treatise on why America is PURELY Satanic, and why Varg should love it. One of those love's labors... I'll be right there, Sisyphus.

'Varg = Scandinavian redneck if there ever was one!
User

Skwizgar

Rank

Petty Officer

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Alexandria, VA, USA

by Skwizgar » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:54 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
EvilDan wrote:

What's kind of creepy but funny at the same time is that Varg looks a lot like an older version of my nephew, Chase, who shreds guitar in a Christian rock band. I'm partly to blame, because I got him his first guitar when he was in high scool, a B.C. Rich Warlock. I thought it was amusingly ironic that he started out playing that guitar in his church band.

Alas, Chase didn't adopt my tastes in music.

Oh, well. At least he'll never kill anyone who would willingly self-apply the name "Euronymous".

:shred:
Amon Amarth - Gorgoroth - (the reanimated corps of) Celtic Frost - Bloodhag -[b] [b]- um, what where we talking about?
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Skwizgar wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:
EvilDan wrote:Or anyone following the Kerrang! and other sensationalist media.

What's kind of creepy but funny at the same time is that Varg looks a lot like an older version of my nephew, Chase, who shreds guitar in a Christian rock band. I'm partly to blame, because I got him his first guitar when he was in high scool, a B.C. Rich Warlock. I thought it was amusingly ironic that he started out playing that guitar in his church band.

Alas, Chase didn't adopt my tastes in music.

Oh, well. At least he'll never kill anyone who would willingly self-apply the name "Euronymous".

:shred:

i would probably drool over Chase, but also disagree with his taste in music, LOL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:05 am

:shock: Negură Bunget......
How did I never listen to this band before? I bought a bunch of tickets online last night including one for NB on April 29. Decided to go because it's only $10 and I have some friends (whose music taste I admire and is similar to mine) who are big fans. So....bought their album Om last night cold and on a second listen now. Really amazing I think....I have a hard time sometimes describing why I like something (especially when it's something I'm really crazy about!) - but here are a few words that popped in my head - complex, atmospheric, magic, intense, moody, and last but not least - spooky! I believe this is one of those bands (like a handful of other favorites upon hearing them for the first time), that I need to have everything asap. I realize all will not be like Om or perhaps as amazing - but really curious to hear their whole discography.

The first 3 songs of Om in particular are killer...this third track Primul Om reminds me of another recent favorite - Norway's Wardruna, as well as a lot of space/ambient/world stuff I've listened to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6vdbSU7 ... ata_player
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

by KevinP » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:26 am

Laura wrote::shock: Negură Bunget......
How did I never listen to this band before? I bought a bunch of tickets online last night including one for NB on April 29. Decided to go because it's only $10 and I have some friends (whose music taste I admire and is similar to mine) who are big fans. So....bought their album Om last night cold and on a second listen now. Really amazing I think....I have a hard time sometimes describing why I like something (especially when it's something I'm really crazy about!) - but here are a few words that popped in my head - complex, atmospheric, intense, moody, and last but not least - spooky! I believe this is one of those bands (like a handful of other favorites upon hearing them for the first time), that I need to have everything asap. I realize all will not be like Om or perhaps as amazing - but really curious to hear their whole discography.

Just so you know, only the drummer is continuing with the band with new members. Guitarist and bassist left a few years ago.
WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am

^^^ actually, I did read that - hopefully whoever is touring/in the group now, can decently pull-off the sound of the original members. Ha - maybe that's why the gig is only $10 and booked in a dive bar in the neighborhood just north of mine.

Another great one - track 4 of Om
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYLjQhQ ... ata_player
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 am

FYI Laura, the two main songwriters from Negura Bunget have formed a new band since the split, which will most likely continue with a similar sound as Negura Bunget: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Dordeduh/3540313662
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ actually, I did read that - hopefully whoever is touring/in the group now, can decently pull-off the sound of the original members. Ha - maybe that's why the gig is only $10 and booked in a dive bar in the neighborhood just north of mine.

Hey Laura... I am also going to be seeing Negura Bunget in San Diego in a dive bar not to far from my house. Steph told me about these guys a while back. She loves them.

My friends Ruines ov Abaddon are opening up for them. Should be a cool show. :beerhorns:
A.K.A Margie Metalho

2018 - Deck 6
2017 - Deck 6
2016 - Deck 6
2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
Abbath-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Juvaliant-/-Kissin.Dynamite-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Zebra-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:40 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:
Laura wrote:^^^ actually, I did read that - hopefully whoever is touring/in the group now, can decently pull-off the sound of the original members. Ha - maybe that's why the gig is only $10 and booked in a dive bar in the neighborhood just north of mine.

Hey Laura... I am also going to be seeing Negura Bunget in San Diego in a dive bar not to far from my house. Steph told me about these guys a while back. She loves them.

My friends Ruines ov Abaddon are opening up for them. Should be a cool show. :beerhorns:

Damn, I wish I could go to that show. Saw it was at Molly Malone's. That place rules!
User

Goddess of Metal

Rank

Sub-Lieutenant

Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am

San Diego, California

by Goddess of Metal » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 pm

mooyagi wrote:
Goddess of Metal wrote:

Damn, I wish I could go to that show. Saw it was at Molly Malone's. That place rules!

Actually, it is not. It is at the Ruby Room in Hillcrest. I like Molly's too. :D Either way wish you could go. ;)
A.K.A Margie Metalho

2018 - Deck 6
2017 - Deck 6
2016 - Deck 6
2015 - Deck 7
2014 - Deck 2
2013 - Deck 2
2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
2012 - Deck 2
2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
Abbath-/-Allen–Lande-/-Alestorm-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Juvaliant-/-Kissin.Dynamite-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Zebra-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:

Awesome Margie! I'm really looking forward to that Negura Bunget gig! I'm loving the 3 albums I bought of theirs recently - if you don't have them, I can mail copies to you.

Next black metal gig for me is this - a week from Saturday. Just found out yesterday that Matt (nekrobarr) is going as well - should be a fun :trashdrink: and interesting :beerhorns: night! Starts at 5 pm and goes till 1 am - that's a lotta bm. :P Decided to go to this over Goatwhore at Reggies, since this Cafe Lura place (never been) sounds kinda cool and it's on Chicago's north side (way more conveniently located for me - just a quick bus ride or cab away). :D Margie - you may get a kick out of this since you're from Chicago originally - daughter Genevieve is going to a good friend's bar mitzvah that same night - after the ceremony at the synagogue, the kids are all getting bussed to - get this - The Cubby Bear - for the afterparty....no doubt with a dj playing http://b96.radio.com/ type music. (and a hop, skip and a jump from the :beerhorns: fest I'll be at :P ) For those non-native Chicagoans, The Cubby Bear is a popular bar/club located right across from the Cubs Wrigley Field - I imagine that the parents are paying a lot to rent that place out on a Saturday night! :shock: (although I think it ends by 10pm)

There is a satanist organization called The Cathedral of the Black Goat but I don't know if they are really involved with organizing this fest or if someone is just using the name because it sounds kvlt. :P
User

shaneos

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am

Nashville, TN

by shaneos » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 am

That's a ton of spiky logos right there, should be a fun gig :beerhorns:

Laura wrote:Image

There is a satanist organization called The Cathedral of the Black Goat but I don't know if they are really involved with organizing this fest or if someone is just using the name because it sounds kvlt. :P
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:31 am

Manticore are my mates from Cleveland.... :beerhorns:
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:15 pm

shaneos wrote:That's a ton of spiky logos right there, should be a fun gig :beerhorns:

ha - spiky logos indeed! :cool: That remark reminded me of an interesting article I came across here at work (here till 9 pm tonight) some years back in a magazine called Art Papers. The title is great - "Crypto Logo Jihad: Black Metal and the Aesthetics of Evil." An earlier version was published in a Dutch magazine called Metropolis M and is online here: http://metropolism.com/magazine/2007-no ... ad/english

I'm glad the poster for this local Cathedral of the Black Goat Black Metal Festival listed the band names at the bottom. ;) And yes - it should be a good time! Been doing lots of fun things since the cruise, but am going through a bit of withdrawal on the metal gig/party front. :beerwink:

WizardBeast wrote:Manticore are my mates from Cleveland.... :beerhorns:

Cool!
User

shaneos

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:59 am

Nashville, TN

by shaneos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Laura wrote:
shaneos wrote:That's a ton of spiky logos right there, should be a fun gig :beerhorns:

ha - spiky logos indeed! :cool: That remark reminded me of an interesting article I came across here at work (here till 9 pm tonight) some years back in a magazine called Art Papers. The title is great - "Crypto Logo Jihad: Black Metal and the Aesthetics of Evil." An earlier version was published in a Dutch magazine called Metropolis M and is online here: http://metropolism.com/magazine/2007-no ... ad/english

I'm glad the poster for this local Cathedral of the Black Goat Black Metal Festival listed the band names at the bottom. ;) And yes - it should be a good time! Been doing lots of fun things since the cruise, but am going through a bit of withdrawal on the metal gig/party front. :beerwink:

WizardBeast wrote:Manticore are my mates from Cleveland.... :beerhorns:

Cool!

I like this quote, lol:

The American Roberto Martinelli, editor in chief of the online magazine Maelstrom, writes: ‘A logo plays a huge part in the image of a company or product. This is also certainly the case with bands.... In black metal particularly, there is a certain revered aesthetic, like spikiness, illegibility, intricacy; to those things are added that intangible element that tells the connoisseur “this is a cult album that is worth your time"

Just like these gems from a previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1747&start=40#p73031
Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
User

KevinP

Rank

Commander

by KevinP » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:31 pm

Okay, here's some black metal for you peeps:

HAIL SPIRIT NOIR (Greece psychedelic black prog): http://soundcloud.com/angry-metal-guy/h ... ire-pneuma

I DIVINE (Hungry, ex members of Sear Bliss): http://www.last.fm/music/I+Divine
(they only have 2 songs right now, but you can download for free on the last.fm page)

DORDEDUH (ex Negura Bunget members Hupogrammos & Sol Faur) https://www.facebook.com/Dordeduh?sk=app_2405167945
WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
Loather of Power Metal
User

soundcurve

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Hail Satan(?) and Black Metal! Figured I'd check into my favorite forum post with a little down time here in Hawai'i (yes I am suffering :lol: ) due to rain. Maybe all the good tours have been posted but holy shit some good stuff coming for black metal folk to the U.S. All this goodness I think might make me skip MDF. I mean Agalloch and Morbid Angel are two bands I'd love to see, but hard for me to mender through so much when you have these gems crossing the States.

Behemoth, Watain (Mmmm, been dying for dead animal smell), TDB, and In Solitude http://decibelmagazinetickets.com/

Followed by this unholy goodness!

Marduk, 1349, Weapon: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... mID=170824

As for tunes, scopin a old school band (88 - now) I missed, "Root". Some hype around "heritage of Satan" (Watain, Behemoth, etc.) and recently bought "The Book". Great stuff. Reminds me of old Moonspell at times.

Hail! :beerhorns:
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:19 am

soundcurve wrote:Behemoth, Watain (Mmmm, been dying for dead animal smell), TDB, and In Solitude http://decibelmagazinetickets.com/

Followed by this unholy goodness!

Marduk, 1349, Weapon: http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla ... mID=170824

This is awesome news - didn't know about this tour until you posted it. That's a sure thing in my book. :beerhorns:

Behemoth ticket? Check! (had mine for awhile for Friday the 13th baby! :? :lol: )

Cool you are/were in Hawaii - beautiful place! :D
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 am

Just a note for ya Laura, I know you have professed your love for Frost all over these broads in the past but it looks like he won't be drumming for 1349 on the tour. The band is using the drummer from Job for a Cowboy on the tour. Not sure why.
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:16 pm

mooyagi wrote:Just a note for ya Laura, I know you have professed your love for Frost all over these broads in the past

:P Ryan, your wording here kinda cracked me up - makes me sound like some crazed tweeny-bopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. :oops: :beerwink: :lol:

But, ah yes, Frost is awesome in my book (for several reasons :P ), and I didn't know he wasn't going to be on this tour. Boo. Still hoping Satyricon and/or 1349 (with Frost) will be on Barge to Hell though!
User

DemonNIN

Rank

Midshipman

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm

PA

by DemonNIN » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Laura wrote:
mooyagi wrote:Just a note for ya Laura, I know you have professed your love for Frost all over these broads in the past

:P Ryan, your wording here kinda cracked me up - makes me sound like some crazed tweeny-bopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. :oops: :beerwink: :lol:

But, ah yes, Frost is awesome in my book (for several reasons :P ), and I didn't know he wasn't going to be on this tour. Boo. Still hoping Satyricon and/or 1349 (with Frost) will be on Barge to Hell though!

Yeah I would also love for Satyricon to be on Barge to Hell :metalguy: Saw them once a few years back they were amazing
\m/(-_-)\m/
CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
CABIN #6707 ; 2016
CABIN #6407 ; 2017
PreviousNext