Post Reply 657 posts
Black Metal
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

Re: Black Metal

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Disco wrote:I listened to Immortal's All Shall Fall a few months ago and it was alright. Anyone who is a big of them what albums do you recommend?

Sons of Northern Darkness or At the Heart of Winter

Not a bad recommendation at all. My personal favorites are Pure Holocaust and At the Heart of Winter. Basically at the Heart of Winter has something for everyone and shouldn't dissapoint a soul.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:43 pm

soundcurve wrote:I plan on taking a trip to Norway next year. Changed jobs so need to build up vacation and what not. Would be a waste to only go for only a week. Regarding Satyricon, yea I really like the new album. That and the new Carcass are high up in album of the year.

New Inquisition is going to be released soon so they might be AOTY material as well. Samples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLZQZaVNi0g
    And the song "Darkness Flows Through the Uneven Horizon" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98qulfxXcs

HAIL THE CULT! :bmhorns:

Nice you're planning a trip to Norway. :D Beautiful country in many ways - spent a total of nearly two weeks there over the course of two different trips. Would love to go back, but no plans in the near future since the 'ole travel bucket list is long (and getting longer all the time - haha).

Haven't heard the new Carcass - never listened to them! :oops: A couple local metal friends of mine thought I'd be going to the recent Reggie's gig (think it was Monday), but I just didn't get my act together Carcass listening-wise and I just wasn't up for going to it "cold." Ah well, can't listen to/get to everything, although I do plan on listening to that new Carcass eventually. Been on an all industrial listening kick this week due to attending this weekend's http://coldwaves.net/ After that, will be getting back to some more black metal with the Watain gig coming up & all. Want to check out mgla who you mentioned and some other bm bands I've never heard. Funny that I've yet to hear any bm band/album that I've truly disliked. The genre simply has an overarching appeal/vibe that is (somewhat strangely) satisfying and just doesn't quit in that regard for me.

Cool about a new Inquisition coming out - another great solid band who I enjoy very much. :beerhorns:
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Disco wrote:I listened to Immortal's All Shall Fall a few months ago and it was alright. Anyone who is a big of them what albums do you recommend?

At the Heart of Winter hands down for me. Perhaps I'm so partial to it because it was the first Immortal album I heard and it was in my early bm listening phase - in short, it made a huge impression and I still love it. I'm sure I've told this story before here, but here goes again :P - within a few weeks of coming home from WOA 2009, Immortal was announced for WOA 2010 and I bought my ticket immediately, since I didn't think I'd get a chance to see them anytime soon in the States :beerhorns: (plus I was still on a major Wacken high and decided I had to go back asap). So yeah, I was and still am a big fan - can't go wrong with anything on their discography imo....from another fave, a very early album Pure Holocaust to the most recent All Shall Fail. It's all good.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Laura wrote:Haven't heard the new Carcass - never listened to them! :oops: A couple local metal friends of mine thought I'd be going to the recent Reggie's gig (think it was Monday), but I just didn't get my act together Carcass listening-wise and I just wasn't up for going to it "cold." Ah well, can't listen to/get to everything, although I do plan on listening to that new Carcass eventually. Been on an all industrial listening kick this week due to attending this weekend's http://coldwaves.net/ After that, will be getting back to some more black metal with the Watain gig coming up & all. Want to check out mgla who you mentioned and some other bm bands I've never heard. Funny that I've yet to hear any bm band/album that I've truly disliked. The genre simply has an overarching appeal/vibe that is (somewhat strangely) satisfying and just doesn't quit in that regard for me.

Cool about a new Inquisition coming out - another great solid band who I enjoy very much. :beerhorns:

Carcass is great but going into a concert cold is agreeably not the best way to dive into a band unless they are only known for their live show. Coldwave gig looks cool though only listened to Prong and I think Fear Factory will be there. 16volt and acucrack (acumen nation) were lent to me back many years but never fully got into them. Always enjoyed the more straight electronic (a purist, hah :lol: ). Either way, hope you have a killer time!

As for dis-likable black metal there is much but it is more just the basic attempts to recreate something more than something that is straight bad (or taking a piss on the genre for the "lolz"). I think there is a lot of mediocrity in general in music now thanks to technology and the internet. There use to be some filters and you really really had to want to do music to get your stuff out there. Now so much is just people (easily in their home) producing studio quality material that the market is flooded. It is the beauty of technologies advancements and the following reflection of humanity not evolved enough to handle/consume it. If anything I find I prefer to look on the past than to find the latest bands these days.
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Saw Immortal in 2002 when they toured with Manowar. Immortal completely upstaged Manowar and just played a straight set with out any bullshit. One of the more memorable sets I have ever seen. About half of their set was at the Heart of Winter. Excellent stuff.

Saw Carcass last MDF. I've never been a jhuge Carcass fan, but I found them utterly amazing at MDF. I thought the sound was killer and they were surprisingly one of the best bands the entire fest.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks for your recent comments Mike & Jason :heavydrink:

It's funny that although I love this music so much (and as I've said before here and elsewhere, anything black metal or blackened this or that is the most interesting and exciting music I've ever come across in my lifetime and therefore my favorite music genre overall), I have to be in the right mood to listen to, as well as write about it....and don't always quickly respond to anything specific. ;)

:beerhorns: :beerhorns:

....in anticipation of the upcoming Watain gig....was youtubing and discovered THIS:

Watain: Opus Diaboli (DVD 2012) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayLKOgoh-s

*runs around in circles*
    I love this. :beerhorns:

• strha
    Crewman

by strha » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 am

This probably don't fit perfect under the Black Metal banner, but check out Necrocurses rcent video The devil cobra
    http://youtu.be/RmbivKDnEI4
    BTH-2012
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 pm

Speaking of bands that might not necessarily fit the Black Metal banner, I've been listening to Diabolical Masquerade again. Only having released a total of 4 CDs, this project has done no wrong in my book. Listening to the extremely creative "At Death's Design, which is pretty much 61 tracks composed together for one unique album that stands out among a thousand. Just ordered their debut from ebay which is much more traditional BM but still has an absolutely killer production. I don't hear much about them since their career is long over, but I'm curious as to what the rest of you think about them.
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 pm

To all the Emperor fans, where's a good place to start, "In the Nightside Eclipse?"
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Disco wrote:To all the Emperor fans, where's a good place to start, "In the Nightside Eclipse?"

My favorite is Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk but In the Nightside Eclipse is probably the proper one to start with.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 pm

I started out with IX Equilibrium, but yeah, like Mooyagi said, In the Nightside Eclipse is a great place to start. Highly recommended. I personally love Nightside, Anthem, and Equilibrium more than most things in the world. Listened to them each more times that Rust in Peace.
  • OwenBall
    Wiper

by OwenBall » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:35 am

Laura wrote:^^^ thanks for the Samael song link - I didn't think of this one (re: suicide songs) - because I hadn't heard it before! :oops: I'm a Samael fan based on their later albums (in particular Reign of Light, solar panel Soul & Above) - haha - guess I need to get on the stick and finally give a serious listen to their bm music! :death:

It is nice song.. I have never heard it before.. Nice music to relax.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:43 am

Even though technically they are not a black metal band, thought I'd mention the passing of The Devil's Blood's Selim here....since there is enough of an association with subject matter & certain bm bands. Also, if I'm not mistaken, TDB & Selim were discussed on this thread before.

So, Selim was found dead yesterday at age 34. Cause of death is not known, but from what I know of him from interviews & such, I would not be surprised at all if it was a suicide. Selim strikes me as somewhat of a classic troubled "artiste." Could write more to elaborate what I mean by that, but I'll just leave it at that for now.

I saw TDB on that Decibel tour a while back with Behemoth. Their gig was quite captivating (for lack of a better word). I also own a few of their recordings, and like the music very, very much. A friend and fellow musician on that tour, Pelle of In Solitude, wrote this about his friend Selim on fb since his death...

Our brother is not gone. Our brother never rests in peace. Our brother's plan, and his execution of it, will outlive the very notion of our steps in time. And as our brother's steps are restored to the ground that once waited for him; his destruction lasts forever. For our brother resided and forever resides in the wounds of the world and drank and forever drinks from the shadows that fell and forever falls from them, in the hearts of all living things. And this is where we'll find our brother. In the mirrors of things. Where he recognized his reflection and shall forever remind us of ours. I know brother, that our lesson shall not be solved in this world.

We love you forever, Selim. Let us end it here like you always would end it with your brothers and sisters; Death is the crown of all

/Pelle, on behalf of In Solitude
    https://www.facebook.com/insolitudeoffi ... 06046164:0

Hmmmm......
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:00 am

Here is a link to the mini-documentary about Selim that I think was posted here before.
    http://youtu.be/tp6hILeDMHE
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 am

Oh, what the heck...I'll post Mike's music here as well (as the listening thread). :death:

Unendlich: Monarch of The Damned
    http://unendlich1.bandcamp.com/
    -or-
    http://unendlich.us

Unendlich is the musical creation of multi-instrumentalist & vocalist (and 70K & Barge alum/forum member) soundcurve. This is really great stuff (and I'm not just saying that because he is a friend and all-around cool person ;) ) - check it out!
    :beerhorns:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/02/24/ve ... announced/
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Laura wrote:Oh, what the heck...I'll post Mike's music here as well (as the listening thread). :death:

7/22/14 - Digital release came out in the event any past forum friends were interested in giving it a listen. Still working on getting the physical CD released.

http://unendlich1.bandcamp.com/
    Generous review/interview: http://templeofdarknessreviews.blogspot ... amned.html

https://www.facebook.com/Unendlich.us/

Many thanks for any support. Still saving to make it onto 70k 2015. Looks like there are still some rooms I can squeeze into. :cheers:
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:34 pm

I actually got in for free at the Metal Alliance show this year. I drank too much and passed out. When I came to, I only caught the last 3 songs of Behemoth's set. :stagger:

But Goatwhore rocked.

Oh yeah and I moved back to Michigan. Things didn't work out for me in Florida.

How the fuck is everyone else doing? :evil:
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
Post Reply 657 posts