Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

Re: Black Metal

by Egokrusher » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:26 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Egokrusher wrote:I want more black metal on the boat! Specifically, Carpathian Forest. Especially if they're as ridiculous as I expect them to be. Music is great, and in the end, that's all I really give a damn about. I still question whether they want to be taken serious or if it's tongue in cheek. This is definitely black metal to get drunk to.

Yea I never took them serious enough to scope a album. I assume it was a big joke on black metal. The links you posted have a punk-ish black metal vibe which I dig. If you were to recommend one album from them to give a couple spin which would it be?

I'd say either Strange Old Brew or Black Shining Leather. Both are great albums. Especially the song "Return of the Freezing Winds" on Strange Old Brew. Total Celtic Frost worship.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:09 pm

Egokrusher wrote:
    Laura wrote:
    rotting human....? huh? :? :lol: Re: rotting carcass stinky at a Watain gig or anywhere else for that matter? I still say no dice to that. ;)

Cool you saw Wolves in the Throne Room - I only have the EP Malevolent Grain which I like and have listened to a bit more online. They were just here in Chicago at Reggie's a few weeks ago but I missed it. I have the opposite problem you have where you live - there are waaaay more music events of all kinds that I would like to go to but can't for this or that reason. I don't think your description sounds cheesy at all - sounds really cool. Agalloch at Reggie's last spring was similar - no candles, but major fog plus some kind of incense. That was an incredible show!!! :cool: :cool: I've said this several times before - but Agalloch on the ship's pool deck on an after midnight time slot with REAL fog rolling in would be be unbelievably great. :cool:

And cheers to cheap PBR. Ha - I think I surprised Bentz! that I actually paid $6.00 for a few Blue Moons at Reggie's on Sunday before I switched to PBR. :lol: Speaking of beer prices, the cheapest drink you could order at the two Hole in the Sky venues was a draft beer called Hansa - I can't remember what the Kroner amount was at the moment, but I've got my credit card account open in another window and I'm looking at one of the charges from the USF venue and this is what the USD conversion turned out to be for ONE BEER (argh):
    08/27/2011 USF VERFTET $11.05

Agalloch and ocean fog would, hands down, be the best experience ever. EVER. And rotting human.. you know, the punks that think weeks and weeks of not cleaning themselves or their clothing is somehow revolutionary. Deviated Instinct didn't get the label "stenchcore" for nothing. It's the smell of wet bum, mixed with tobacco spit, alcohol, and body odor(s). Nauseating to say the least. We have four cats here and they're always leaving us gifts behind the doorstep. Sometimes you don't see them until you can smell them, and even that I would prefer to the odor these people emit.

That's a whole bunch of money for one beer. I think the most I've ever paid for a beer is $9. It was a pint of Stella at some pizza joint in Minneapolis. Though I have paid high dollar for specialty imports, but I don't think that qualifies. I've been eyeballing Chimay for quite some time but haven't been able to bring myself to pay $15 for a four pack. Might have to do it anyway. Every beer I've ever had from Belgium has been amazing, and considering it's brewed by Trappist monks, it should be great quality.

I want more black metal on the boat! Specifically, Carpathian Forest. Especially if they're as ridiculous as I expect them to be. Music is great, and in the end, that's all I really give a damn about. I still question whether they want to be taken :gulp: serious or if it's tongue in cheek. This is definitely black metal to get drunk to.

Carpathian Forest - "Sadomasochistic" taken from the We're Going To Hollywood For This DVD.
    http://youtu.be/QBgvQ360lnY

"He's Turning Blue"
    http://youtu.be/eSrQPXCk7V4

"Ghoul" Mayhem cover.
    http://youtu.be/s-r2e5v3jRc

Lots to respond to here....hmmmm....
    Re: Agalloch on the pool deck with the fog rolling in? YES! I agree. Potentially, the.best.thing.ever. :D :cool: There are lots of Agalloch fans here - maybe, just maybe it will happen!

Re: stinky people at shows - I gotta say I haven't been around the kind of people you describe at a gig. :shock: Every so often there's some REALLY wretched smelly homeless person on a CTA bus or train I'm on, but that is about the extent of my experience with that sorta thing - do.not.like. ;)

Re: expensive beer in Norway - yes, it was expensive and so was everything else....hands down, the most expensive country I've visited. Bergen even seemed more expensive than Oslo.
    :givebeer: (cheap ;) )

Re: Carpathian Forest - thanks for those links - yet another band whose name I'd heard but that's about it. That first link of a live gig - Sadomasochistic - is campy as all getout! :lol: Now I think I know who the nearly nekkid :roll: , obese black metal guy is who Kevin and mooyagi have posted on the ladies thread to raz and annoy me. :lol: But even better, whassup with the topless fat broads (*coughs* to use Kevin's term - but MOST appropriate in this case) in their granny panties dancing (poorly at that :lol: ) around the stage? :P :lol: I'm not so keen (to put it mildly) on seeing any of THAT live....however, I must say the music is pretty good - especially the second link to the song "He's Turning Blue" which is kinda punky - I like a lot! :beerhorns: :cheers:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Speaking of campy black metal... I have to admit I chuckled a bit to myself when I saw the Swedish band Nifelheim in Bergen. Their outfits, facial expressions, and stage act was pretty cheesy at times - and yet I really, really loved it, and their music totally kicks ass. On the other hand, the Finnish band Archgoat who I mentioned earlier, gave me a very different vibe - and they definitely did not come off as campy or cheesy to me at all....rather, how shall as I say? Sinister? :death: Perhaps it's because they are Satanists (or so I've read) :twisted: and therefore it's more than just an "act." I dunno. (and as I mentioned earlier, I loved their performance as well.)
    :beerhorns:

Nifelheim :beerhorns: :beerwink:
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:41 pm

Laura wrote:And cheers to cheap PBR. Ha - I think I surprised Bentz! that I actually paid $6.00 for a few Blue Moons at Reggie's on Sunday before I switched to PBR. :lol:

Bah! Nothing surprises me anymore!

I thought Høst (formerly known as Hennes Siste Høst ) were a really decent but short lived US BM band (or a one man project).
    Høsten:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOLiHXkryB8

Cobalt is also a damn good US BM band (not sure if they've been mentioned on this thread before... or if they're even truly considered "black metal") their man dude is a Sergeant in the US Army:
    Gin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnHjKGcEfa4
    Pregnant Insect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNjwEa560bM
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Laura wrote:Nifelheim :beerhorns: :beerwink:

Yea they are a bit of goofs but make some decent blackened thrash.

I'll push some black(end) metal that I've been really enjoying. I blabbed about em before but they are Weapon. They recently signed to relapse from AJNA Offensive and I see only good thing ahead for them. Both their albums on AJNA Offensive are excellent and both have great album art. The music is fairly complex to the point you wont absorb it on one listen but it is rewarding once it has sunken in. Albums are best ingested as a whole but listening to this track now and might give a good taste. Would rather not over inundate with a bunch of youtube links.

The Inner Wolf http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4krWPMQy4ZM

And still one of my fave album covers. Pisses on all religions, not just the easy target of Christianity.

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:12 pm

soundcurve wrote:

blackened thrash?
    ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ha - I'm just joshin' - I had read that description of Nifelheim (and yay goofs for the win!) before - but for the record, genre hair-splitting still sucks imo. :lol: ;)

speaking of blackened this or that - I forget - is Goatwhore considered blackened death metal? Goatwhore for the 2012 cruise! :headbanger:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Laura wrote:is Goatwhore considered blackened death metal? Goatwhore for the 2012 cruise! :headbanger:

Sounds about right. I agree. They'd be great on the cruise. They were awesome playing on the Watain tour.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Laura wrote:is Goatwhore considered blackened death metal? Goatwhore for the 2012 cruise! :headbanger:

Sounds about right. I agree. They'd be great on the cruise. They were awesome playing on the Watain tour.

I've seen 'em twice and loved them - when I talked about true "power" (and not in the power metal sense) and electricity that I FEEL from certain bands, there are really only about a dozen bands I'd put in that category - Goatwhore is one of them. :cool:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm

Laura wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

I've seen 'em twice and loved them - when I talked about true "power" (and not in the power metal sense) and electricity that I FEEL from certain bands, there are really only about a dozen bands I'd put in that category - Goatwhore is one of them. :cool:

I'm not huge on their music but there was a certain atmosphere around them at the show (vodka might have helped) that I couldn't get enough of 'em.
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm

One the topic of US black metal: Here's a band out of MN, called False. Their new EP is called Untitled and is 2, 13 minute songs.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/ ... hen-scream
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm

Laura wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:

blackened thrash?
    ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ha - I'm just joshin' - I had read that description of Nifelheim (and yay goofs for the win!) before - but for the record, genre hair-splitting still sucks imo. :lol: ;)

Amen sista! Yea I avoid the whole dissection of genre as I classify by feel. Black metal is a feeling, not a formula.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm

shaneos wrote:One the topic of US black metal: Here's a band out of MN, called False. Their new EP is called Untitled and is 2, 13 minute songs.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2011/ ... hen-scream

Not bad. I'll have to give it more listens but good first listen. Most 13 min song take more than 1 listen to absorb :P
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Laura wrote:speaking of blackened this or that - I forget - is Goatwhore considered blackened death metal? Goatwhore for the 2012 cruise! :headbanger:

For the most part yes. Though they have an old school vibe to them as well. It's not straight death metal, but it's not typical black metal.

Behemoth would be the same thing as well, even though they don't really sound like each other.

I was always more fond of Ben Falgoust's original band: Paralysis---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9gM6WL_ ... re=related

Too bad the producer fuck up the sound on this album and made it all "jazzy". The demo they did was 10X heavier and better produced. He tried to get the record company at the time to release it to him and the band was gonna spend their own money to remix the thing. But alas it never happened. He went on with Soilent Green and then formed Goatwhore years later.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Laura wrote: I had listened to a bunch of Archgoat before seeing them in Bergen (my favorite song of what I've heard is Whore of Bethlehem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q45CP5qJfnI - love this)

Still makes me stratch my head how you enjoy that. I would hardly even classify it as music, it's so poorly produced/played/constructed. For someone with such diverse tastes I would think you would laugh at the mere sound of this (which I do :lol: ). I can understand Marduk, Emperor, Enslaved, and those types.

Obviously TEHO, so whatever wets your willy :heavydrink: :lol: :heavydrink:

I'm stratching my head at your comment :? Because what you're saying here contradicts what you said in the Favourite Metal Genres thread that you never claim something is not music because it's so "subjective", remember?

At least you probably understand what I was trying to get at when I said I think this kinda sound isn't music, because it appears you think the same.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:11 am

Laura wrote:speaking of blackened this or that - I forget - is Goatwhore considered blackened death metal? Goatwhore for the 2012 cruise! :headbanger:

They've always sounded like old Celtic Frost to me, so naturally, I've enjoyed them. They're headlining in the area on the 27th of October, but it's at the bar in Fort Worth that totally fucked me over the last time I was there, so I'm not too thrilled about driving 120 miles to deal with those fuckers. Plus, I have Anthrax/Testament/Death Angel the following day, and a huge Halloween party the following day, so I'll just hope they come through again soon or are on the cruise. Not too set on them being on the cruise, since their homebase of NOLA is close enough.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:12 am

Just checking in on my fave (prob only one I post in) thread! So with Weapon being new black metal I think is fucking excellent this band Inquisition is up there. Vile hate, aggressive, bit o' groove. Has a bit of real early immortal (esp. the frogy vox) Scope!

Good track to scope. Nice and violent.
    Command of The Dark Crown - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0UfDmJ ... 8AE1D7B051

. . . Satan :beerhorns:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:40 am

soundcurve wrote:Just checking in on my fave (prob only one I post in) thread! So with Weapon being new black metal I think is fucking excellent this band Inquisition is up there. Vile hate, aggressive, bit o' groove. Has a bit of real early immortal (esp. the frogy vox) Scope!

Good track to scope. Nice and violent.
    Command of The Dark Crown - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0UfDmJ ... 8AE1D7B051

. . . Satan :beerhorns:

The vocals on some songs are comedically froggy at times.

They were one of the only bands that I thought sounded good at the inside venue at MDF. Since it's just drums, one guitar and vocals the sound didn't turn into a muddy mess like most bands sounded in there.
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Bentz! wrote:They were one of the only bands that I thought sounded good at the inside venue at MDF. Since it's just drums, one guitar and vocals the sound didn't turn into a muddy mess like most bands sounded in there.

The sound inside for some bands was absolutely AWFUL. Exhumed sounded like total shit, was really disappointed. Then some bands, like Doom, Tragedy, and Marduk sounded good. I don't know what the damn problem was, but it was inconsistent at best. The main stage outside had the best sound if you ask me. Neurosis was extremely heavy, as was Voivod and Coroner, and all with perfect clarity.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:38 pm

New jams. Taake. Been listen to nothing but the most tasty in satantic goodness in my fave month of October. Taking a brief break to take in some new tunes. It is really good, organic, and using some cool "non standard" BM progressions which is a nice turn. . . And a track has a BANJO!!! Works really well.

Scope the vid (sry no cock):

Taake - Nordbundet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAIIbnrY ... r_embedded

Scope the BANJO!!! (@ 3:20ish mark)

Myr - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDveAcqmiYg

Take that purist! haha ;)

Image + Image = :bmhorns: :bmhorns: :bmhorns:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Bentz! wrote:They were one of the only bands that I thought sounded good at the inside venue at MDF. Since it's just drums, one guitar and vocals the sound didn't turn into a muddy mess like most bands sounded in there.

I'm not sure how they coud ever get a good sound inside there. It being an ex parking garbage and all. I'm no engineer, but I'm assume that parking garbages don't have good acoustics :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:33 am

soundcurve wrote:New jams. Taake. Been listen to nothing but the most tasty in satantic goodness in my fave month of October. Taking a brief break to take in some new tunes. It is really good, organic, and using some cool "non standard" BM progressions which is a nice turn. . . And a track has a BANJO!!! Works really well.

Really like this band soundcurve! (your name is Mike right?) Finally got around to the links - first one is really cool with the live band interspersed with the landscape scenes. Before I even read the video description, I guessed correctly that those are scenes from around Bergen - sigh - such a beautiful place even in "grim and frostbitten winter." ;) :death:

Anyway, cool band - I suspect yet another band who doesn't tour the US. :cry: And the banjo in that second song is wicked! :P :cool: Could it be called something like black & blue metalgrass? Or blueblackgrassmetal? :lol:

A couple other things - I know you're a fan of Helheim - and I don't think I ever talked about seeing them at Hole in the Sky - I enjoyed them very much! - what I saw that is - they were the very first band on the last night and their set was super short - 30-40 minutes tops. The thing is too, that they have such a huge discography (and I only have 2 albums) - that I couldn't begin to tell you what they played in that short set. They are another band from Bergen I believe and a Norwegian woman I met who has followed them a long time, said that they just never seemed to be able to crack into the "big leagues." Which is a shame really, because they are a great band I think.

Also - don't know if you saw my posting on the gig thread about it, but I did see that Danzig Legacy gig a week ago Friday with another 70K cruiser Nicole who is a HUGE Danzig fan (as I believe you said you are?). Anyway, it was an outstanding show - especially the Misfits and Samhain parts. Thank god we were able to get great seats in the balcony, because that was one of the craziest mosh pits I've witnessed - entertaining to watch :twisted: , but I would not have wanted to be near it. ;)
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Laura wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:New jams. Taake. Been listen to nothing but the most tasty in satantic goodness in my fave month of October. Taking a brief break to take in some new tunes. It is really good, organic, and using some cool "non standard" BM progressions which is a nice turn. . . And a track has a BANJO!!! Works really well.

Really like this band soundcurve! (your name is Mike right?) Finally got around to the links - first one is really cool with the live band interspersed with the landscape scenes. Before I even read the video description, I guessed correctly that those are scenes from around Bergen - sigh - such a beautiful place even in "grim and frostbitten winter." ;) :death:

Anyway, cool band - I suspect yet another band who doesn't tour the US. :cry: And the banjo in that second song is wicked! :P :cool: Could it be called something like black & blue metalgrass? Or blueblackgrassmetal? :lol:

A couple other things - I know you're a fan of Helheim - and I don't think I ever talked about seeing them at Hole in the Sky - I enjoyed them very much! - what I saw that is - they were the very first band on the last night and their set was super short - 30-40 minutes tops. The thing is too, that they have such a huge discography (and I only have 2 albums) - that I couldn't begin to tell you what they played in that short set. They are another band from Bergen I believe and a Norwegian woman I met who has followed them a long time, said that they just never seemed to be able to crack into the "big leagues." Which is a shame really, because they are a great band I think.

Also - don't know if you saw my posting on the gig thread about it, but I did see that Danzig Legacy gig a week ago Friday with another 70K cruiser Nicole who is a HUGE Danzig fan (as I believe you said you are?). Anyway, it was an outstanding show - especially the Misfits and Samhain parts. Thank god we were able to get great seats in the balcony, because that was one of the craziest mosh pits I've witnessed - entertaining to watch :twisted: , but I would not have wanted to be near it. ;)

Yep, my name is Mike. I went back and read the gig post and it is good to have another danzig fanned forumer/cruiser (Nicole and you of course) though you linked a image to the new misfit :roll: haha just messing. Misfits w/o danzig is bullshit to me.

I envy the Danzig gig. :cry: Luckily somebody filmed the whole Samhain/Misfits set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... N0Rc3vV25g
    Loved they played "Unholy Passion" and "Let the day begin", some of my fave Samhain songs. Cool back drops too.

I could imagine the pit being pretty brutal. Lot of pent up energy from Samhain/Fits fan wanting to hear these songs for a long time along with some new blood that never got to see Samhain/Fits (that'd be me).

Yea Taake is great stuff. Been listening to the newest on heavy rotation (I have their first CD as it was mentioned as classic but I like his newer output better). He (Hoest) does a appearance on Helheim's latest. Dualitet og Ulver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fw_nsSHeA
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm

^^^ - first of all - lol on the Misfits pic I posted - I knew there was *something* just not quite right about that pic, e.g. It looked too brand spankin' new to be a vintage Misfits pic - but thought it was cool anyway! :P Re: the crowd / moshpit at Danzig - omg - those were some hard-core fans! Lots of impressive mohawks, TONS of people wearing Misfits shirts, etc. And as I said on the gig thread - it was great going with Nicole since she knows everything about Danzig! And here's a funny side note - we're both big fans of industrial music (and particularly of German origin), and we were discussing the upcoming Hanzel und Gretyl gig here next month. She can't go due to a family wedding that night and I can't (most likely) because it is the night before Mayhem & and I doubt I'll be able to swing both. Anyway, she said something that totally cracked me up regarding schedule conflicts/obligations - along the lines of (family, etc.:) "don't FUCK with my metal shows!!" :lol: :lol:

Re the Helheim video, I believe I have seen that one before but was not aware of the Taake connection.

And on another note - just bought a ticket to see Italy's Mortuary Drape :death: with Inquisition on Dec 13!!! :D :beerbang: This is another one of those weird coicidences for me - YOU very recently mentioned Inquisition on this very thread (and I had never heard of them) and just yesterday I saw them listed as the opening act for MD!! Awesome! I am REALLY looking forward to that show!! :beerhorns: :death:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:49 pm

^^^ haha, yea. I was just messin on the misfits pic. I mean, yea it looks cool but you talk to any Misfits junkie and they'll OCD on ya about the graves-era (though, the jerry only or "only jerry" is a freakin joke if you didnt think it could get worse). There were some okay tracks /w graves but just meh. To replace the key song writer and take everything he created and re-brand/tour it just seemed cheap. I remember seeing that up Asbury Park,NJ with Megadeth and just felt bad. The vibe was there at some venue on the beach but uhg.

I really think you'll dig Inquisition. If you like immortal I think you are going to really dig em. I would focus on their newest offer I linked above. I am not some "loved em from the first album" type of person with them but their newest is really really good. Them and Weapon have been my fave new BM findings. I'll have to see if that tour hits up Baltimore. The vocal might be a hard digest at first but the music is good.

fast track.
    Astral Path To Supreme Majesties http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4pob3nlYP4

a slower track but really cool. Desolate Funeral Chant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN-K27yi ... re=related

I don't know Mortuary Drape, any tracks to scope that'd highlight em? :beerhorns:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:28 am

A couple funny pics in this article. :lol: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druhm-reflects-on-whats-wrong-with-black-metal/

Can't say I agree with the content, though. Curious what other people think. I don't feel like black metal has stagnated at all. Yes, the "old guard" is still around doing what they do but there are plenty of fresh ideas in it as well coming from all over the world.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 am

mooyagi wrote:A couple funny pics in this article. :lol: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druhm-reflects-on-whats-wrong-with-black-metal/

Can't say I agree with the content, though. Curious what other people think. I don't feel like black metal has stagnated at all. Yes, the "old guard" is still around doing what they do but there are plenty of fresh ideas in it as well coming from all over the world.

:lol: yeah. I don't listen to much pure black metal so my opinion isn't very educated but I see bands all the time combining BM with Folk Metal, Experimental, thrash, prog, etc. To me those are fresh ideas. As for simply black metal, I think as a genre it's limiting because its a very specific thing that makes it black metal (symmetric scales, tremolo picking, blast beats, ambiance, blasphemy). Maybe bands should start trying to make it a little more, dare I say, melodic? I know there's already the symphonic aspect to some of it but I mean without the symphonic, you could still add some melodic elements to it. Might make it a little more interesting.

[flamefest]
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks for posting that link Ryan - will reply later tonight when I've got more time.
    Mike - I've got a fair bit to say about Mortuary Drape (including how I kind of "missed them" at Hole in the Sky :lol: ) - but that will have to wait till later as well.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:52 pm

mooyagi wrote:A couple funny pics in this article. :lol: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druhm-reflects-on-whats-wrong-with-black-metal/

I'd agree with you. The guy just isn't looking. There is a ton of variation within black metal but since the guy never defines the genre it is hard to gauge what he is labeling as black metal (is it like stained class states? symmetric scales, tremolo picking, blast beats, ambiance, blasphemy).

Looks like he is a reviewer so he probably churns through too much music to really feel it and might just be feeling calloused (cause there are a ton of sound alikes out there esp. when only giving a CD 2 - 3 spins). Or he should use a genre that he thinks is vibrant and alive by comparison. By "pure" black metal stand point though I am assuming I don't listen to any if they are all suppose to sound like the dark throne trinity. It should be felt not just dissected via technicalities imo.

"Of course there are innovative black metal bands out there like Cobalt, Sigh and Enslaved but those are exceptions to the very general rule of sounding like Cradle of Filth or old Darkthrone." He name drops sigh, colbalt, and enslaved. Focus on them then. Deriving that genre can be the baseline of originators and the 3 bands he mentioned deviate, seek deviation. This is where people go on to walls of text about why X band is BM or not or some hybrid mix-mode-fruit-loop-extra-cream-sauce genre.

Bah! the whole genre debate is like pissing in the wind. It is music as a whole. Just write good songs. Adding a saxophone, cow bell, or sitar isn't going to bring anything to a genre if the songs are still shit. Or it will just be seen as gimmick. And nachtmystium already did the sax for the record! haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8el_odTpsw

The genre doesn't need help, the filters in the music industry just need to be reapplied to reduce the noise. The market is flooded. Instead of this dude reviewing 1 - 2 black metal release a month I am sure he is getting 10 - 20. I could imagine being a reviewer at that pace is like music fast food. Eaten quickly, under appreciated, un-nourishing, and with mass consumption leads to the shits! ;) Maybe the dude just needs to go on a diet for a while. :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:55 pm

Good post soundcurve! There's plenty out there for those who seek it. Yes, it is mainly a review site and some of the reviews are quite good. I don't always agree with the guys on there but I do enjoy checking it out every couple of weeks to see what they've posted. I've found some new music through that site.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:04 pm

soundcurve wrote:Bah! the whole genre debate is like pissing in the wind. It is music as a whole. Just write good songs. Adding a saxophone, cow bell, or sitar isn't going to bring anything to a genre if the songs are still shit. Or it will just be seen as gimmick. And nachtmystium already did the sax for the record! haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8el_odTpsw

The genre doesn't need help, the filters in the music industry just need to be reapplied to reduce the noise. The market is flooded. Instead of this dude reviewing 1 - 2 black metal release a month I am sure he is getting 10 - 20. I could imagine being a reviewer at that pace is like music fast food. Eaten quickly, under appreciated, un-nourishing, and with mass consumption leads to the shits! ;) Maybe the dude just needs to go on a diet for a while. :lol:

:lol: I enjoyed this part. I view genres like this: every genre has an idea of what it is, but very few bands only fit within one genre, thats why we have things like experimental symphonic prog power metal. It comes down to how the listener interprets the music. Arguing about it is as you said, pissing in the wind. Although sometimes you are just wrong, for example a buddy of mine tried to convince me that Judas Priest is power metal. :roll:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:Bah! the whole genre debate is like pissing in the wind. It is music as a whole. Just write good songs. Adding a saxophone, cow bell, or sitar isn't going to bring anything to a genre if the songs are still shit. Or it will just be seen as gimmick. And nachtmystium already did the sax for the record! haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8el_odTpsw

:lol: I enjoyed this part. I view genres like this: every genre has an idea of what it is, but very few bands only fit within one genre, thats why we have things like experimental symphonic prog power metal. It comes down to how the listener interprets the music. Arguing about it is as you said, pissing in the wind. Although sometimes you are just wrong, for example a buddy of mine tried to convince me that Judas Priest is power metal. :roll:

What!?! Judas Priest is'nt power metal!!?? DAMMIT! just when I thought I had it all figured out..... :bitch: :bitch:
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Ok, here's one you should all check out since it's sooooo out of left field. Black metal played with a DULCIMER. Yes, I had to google it to find out what the fuck a dulcimer was. Odd sound to say the least.

Info about the band http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Botanist/3540330941
    Links to 4 songs off the album http://www.botanist.nu/albumone.html

One of the reviews on metal archives made a good point: The Botanist debut is one of those rare cases of an artist's creative instinct and innovative ambitions rapidly outpacing and outclassing his ability to organize and deliver musical content The vocals come across as almost goofy at first, but you get used to the weird dichotomy. :mrgreen:

Oh and they sing about plants apparently. :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 pm

onenight wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

What!?! Judas Priest is'nt power metal!!?? DAMMIT! just when I thought I had it all figured out..... :bitch: :bitch:

My favorite one is Pantera fans or Pantera clone bands who think/label themselves or Pantera as Power metal!
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:42 pm

And here's something less weird, but still different and very unique - THE MEADS OF THE ASPHODEL

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The ... hodel/3235
    http://www.candlelightrecords.co.uk/dig ... ecard.html (SONG LINK)
    http://www.themeadsofasphodel.com/

Interesting concept they will have for their next album:

“Metatron is to go to krakow/ Poland in November to research Auschwitz
    for for the new Meads of Asphodel album that will be titled,
    Sonderkommando. The concept behind the release is to see the holocaust
    from the eyes of the Jewish Sonderkommando [these were the unfortunate
    workers who removed the corpses from the gas chambers, and after
    removing teeth/hair and valuables, cremated them]. It is their story
    that is born from literally from Hell on earth. From their words the
    album will lament on the burning death pits, Block 11, the crematoriums,
    the daily arrival of the trains and their human freight destined to the
    jaws of murder and to be stacked like logs in a factory of death.

Metatron will record narratives and parts of the album on site in
    Auschwitz to capture some of the horror of a unique chapter in history.
    Genocide is nothing new in the precarious path of human evolution, but
    the systematic murder on an industrialized scale of a race of people is
    exclusively German in origin and set in Poland during World War Two. The
    album will focus on the inhumanity of humanity, on the death camps and
    the surrounding nations [to their shame] who systematically embraced
    this indiscriminate slaughter of unarmed civilians.

As Metatron says, “Maybe some things are best forgotten, maybe unspoken.
    Then again, maybe they should never be forgotten, and if spoken of,
    maybe the world will be a better place by remembering.”
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:49 pm

And MEGATRON of Meads also has a pagan band with 1 album out. (there is enough blackness to it that it justifies its place in this thread)

THE WOLVES OF AVALON
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=156022

The concept should be right up Laura's alley. Have the album since the beginning of the year and it was interesting enough for me to give it out repeated spins when I get the chance.

http://www.myspace.com/thewolvesofavalon
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:50 pm

Last thing. Article I don't really agree with all that much, but good fodder for discussion nonetheless.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druh ... ack-metal/
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 pm

KevinP wrote:Last thing. Article I don't really agree with all that much, but good fodder for discussion nonetheless.

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/steel-druh ... ack-metal/

:lol: :lol: :lol: I posted that article. Today. In this thread.

I heard Botanist before. Didn't like it. Meads of Asphodel do some really cool stuff.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:29 am

cycosurgeon wrote:My favorite one is Pantera fans or Pantera clone bands who think/label themselves or Pantera as Power metal!

Esh! That is depressing. Never listened to early pantera pre-"cowboys from hell" which I thought was meh at the time. It wasn't till "Vulgar" that I was truly blown away and loving them. I guess at best they were glam metal pre all that??? got me nor do I want to go deep into that, haha. Pantera were bad ass to me in that that did what most band don't do. The trend is more that you go from brutal to softening up / more pop structure in metal bands that get success. They went from weak glam metal to some of the most brutal skull pounding metal.

But keeping this in "black metal"! Phil made a black metal band with satyr/Fenriz/ and other from the 2nd wave of BM . . . behold Eibon (I know there is another band by the same name) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym5r709sLQw I don't believed it ever materialized into much and this song is okay. Something I would probably through in that Angry metal guys stagnant pile. haha! :lol:

Also he had his flirtation with his own blend in Christ Inversion (nothing that excited me, but prove me wrong other wise if well versed). I personally prefer him sticking with dirty southern blues sound outside of Pantera: Southern Isolation - Southern Man I Am http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MT7HKFNm-Q was a great EP with his then wife, Stephanie Opal.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 am

Warning - super long post ahead about Italian black metal band Mortuary Drape.... :death:

Laura wrote:And on another note - just bought a ticket to see Italy's Mortuary Drape :death: with Inquisition on Dec 13!!! :D :beerbang: This is another one of those weird coincidences for me - YOU very recently mentioned Inquisition on this very thread (and I had never heard of them) and just yesterday I saw them listed as the opening act for MD!! Awesome! I am REALLY looking forward to that show!! :beerhorns: :death:

soundcurve wrote:I don't know Mortuary Drape, any tracks to scope that'd highlight em? :beerhorns:

Laura wrote:Mike - I've got a fair bit to say about Mortuary Drape (including how I kind of "missed them" at Hole in the Sky :lol: ) - but that will have to wait till later as well.

To start....here's something I wrote on the Hole in the Sky thread back on June 1st....

Laura wrote:.... Most recently - I've been intrigued by and getting excited about seeing Italy's Mortuary Drape -an Italian friend of mine referred to them as "legendary" and way ahead of their time as far as black metal and especially Italian black metal goes (to which I replied who knew there was Italian black metal? :P )...unfortunately not many you-tube vids of them

From what I gather - the band is really the creation of one person named Wildness Perversion who is the only consistent member since the mid-1980's (and for the record, I'm no Satanist - but for some strange unknown reason I really, love, love, love this Satanic kinda stuff (even if most of it's fake and many of such band members aren't Satanists either) :death: :twisted: :trashdrink: )

Here's their website...http://www.mortuary13drape.com/

They have a lot of music - here are a few songs that I like a lot (I like the dirge-like quality of some especially):
    Astral Bewitchment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWawCK1L7w

Funeral Chant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GO_ySFDAqE

Primordial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2boAsAQ- ... re=related

And one last thing - here is a copy and paste from a facebook conversation I had a few days ago about the upcoming Mortuary Drape/Inquisition Chicago gig with a woman from London (Yolanda) I met at Hole in the Sky and a guy from Milan (Alessandro) who I met at Wacken 2010 - part of it explains why I kind of "missed" Mortuary Drape at Hole in the Sky :trashdrink: - :lol: :roll: - thank god I can redeem myself and see them in Chicago in December. :lol:

Mortuary Drape & Inquisition
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 at 7:00pm
    Reggies
    Unlike · · Unfollow Post · Share · Invite guests · Sunday at 1:19pm
    You, Troy, Alessandro, and Yolanda like this.

Yolanda: Both on the same bill??? You lucky sausage...
    Sunday at 1:20pm · Unlike · 1 person

Me: Yep! Just saw this on the Reggie's site yesterday! http://www.reggieslive.com/rockclub/ Couldn't believe it - and coincidentally a friend just gave me some Inquistion links - didn't know the band before.

Yolanda: They are brilliant. You will love them :D
    Sunday at 1:25pm · Unlike · 1 person

Alessandro: you know MD? Cool :D
    Sunday at 1:53pm · Unlike · 1 person

Me: Yep - I think we talked about them before I went to Hole in the Sky since they are from Italy and all ;) - the crazy thing is - I was really looking forward to seeing them there and I ended up kind of "missing them" - lol - they came on after Archgoat (Finland) who were really awesome - I was right up in front for that whole Archgoat set and it was really hot in there (plus I had had a fair amount to drink by that point and those guys are crazy intense!), so afterward I just kind of moved way toward the back of the venue, chilled out during the MD set, and drank some beers with some people. Couldn't even see MD from where I was, and really didn't pay attention to what they sounded like. Usually I am really hard core about not "missing anything" at a festival like that - especially a band who never comes to the US! But lo and behold - they are coming to Chicago and I get a second chance to see them - yay! (sheesh - that was a long reply!)
    Sunday at 2:24pm · Like

Alessandro: Yes, I remember now that we talked about 'em! I'm getting old, I forget about stuff, lol. Be sure not to miss them this time, I saw them supporting Coroner a month ago and they were absolutely great! Will check Archgoat by the way ;)
    Sunday at 2:34pm · Like

Me: Great to hear you enjoyed them! I bought my ticket and I'll be sure not to miss them this time ;) - also will see Coroner on the metal cruise in January!
    21 hours ago · Like
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:15 am

cycosurgeon wrote:My favorite one is Pantera fans or Pantera clone bands who think/label themselves or Pantera as Power metal!

I would probably classify their first 3 as party/glam metal. (They still wanted to be Van Halen. Well, actually, that never stopped.) Their 4th, and first with Phil, Power Metal and CFH are fairly similar, though CFH is a little heavier. So maybe that's their definition of Power Metal?

Then again, I've heard Nevermore called Power Metal, though I'm not exactly sure what I would classify them as.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
Post Reply 644 posts