Post Reply 644 posts
Black Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

Black Metal

by Laura » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:23 am

Contrary to what Mooyagi said, I don't think there has ever been a black metal thread. (Warning: wall of text to follow.... :lol: )

Since I'm short on time at the moment, I'm going to repost something from the gig thread from back in February - I remember it because Bentz!'s phrase "BEWBS, BLOOD AND BLASPHEMY" cracked me up at the time - and since at least blood and blasphemy is often (but not always of course) a part of the black metal aesthetic :P , here's a starting point...plus I linked some of my favorite videos :beerhorns:

Laura wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:Saw Deicide last night with Belphegor, Neuraxis, and Pathology. There was one local opener that wasn't bad musically, but it's kinda hard to take a band seriously when they're sporting jewfros with their corpsepaint.
    Blackguard was absent since they were running late filming their video in Chicago. There was cheering (not started by me) when the vocalist for Pathology made the announcement.
    Good turnout for a metal show in Detroit on a Sunday. Belphegor was damn good, but I was expecting more craziness from a band that makes videos like this: http://www.youtube.com/user/BelphegorBand WARNING: NOT SUITABLE FOR WORK! BEWBS BLOOD & BLASPHEMY!
    In any case, it was cool to see Helmuth (vox and guitar) hanging out at the bar after the show still covered in blood. I didn't have the nerve to ask if it was real or not.

Deicide played a get set of tunes that completely ignored the sucky albums. Most stuff was from the self titled debut, Once Upon the Cross, Stench of Redemption and To Hell With God. Glen was damn funny, and there was a fight in the pit during the last song. Who could ask for anything more?

Next Up: Rotting Christ w/ Melechesh, Hate, Abigail Williams & Lecherous Nocturne St Patty's Day!

Hey Bentz! We meet here again on this thread! ;) Glad you enjoyed the Deicide, et al show. As I mentioned earlier on this thread - they played here as well, but I decided not to go because I really don't know them at all - so felt it wasn't worth the effort for me to head back down to Reggie's again so soon. But anywaaay.....
    I must comment on Belphegor - I've seen them twice - first time I can't remember exactly when (would need to check my concert list which I don't have handy at the moment), second time was the Heathenfest America tour in fall 2009 with Eluveitie, Vreid, Kivimetsan Druidi and Alestorm. I'm surrprised to hear that Helmuth was covered in blood :shock: :lol: - when I saw him he wasn't and for part of both gigs he wore this black leather s&m looking mask...
    so has he turned in the mask for a "Carrie" look? ;)

Belphegor is one of those bands that simply doesn't do much for me (as Kevin now knows, that's about as far as I go in the "dislike" department). After seeing them I was not inspired to check them out more on the net or buy their stuff, etc. In comparison, I'll never forget seeing Behemoth for the first time only knowing about a half dozen of their songs....I was TOTALLY blown away by their power and awesomeness - which in turn led me to buy a bunch of their music and see them on subsequent tours. In other words, a very different - visceral - reaction.
    And re: that Belphegor video - thanks for posting the warning! Definitely something I would not want to view at work :P . And my comment on that is this: it falls in my "doesn't do anything for me" category as well. In my humble opinion - no artistry there - just lots of blatant blood, guts, blasphemy and nudity. On the other hand, there are so many great black metal videos that have one or more of those elements in them to some degree - but are expressed in a really theatrical, artistic, and kick-ass way (and in a few instances imo with some campy humor like Dimmu's Sacrilegious Scorn and anything Immortal does)! A few of my top favorites are: (and don't ask me why I'm posting all these cause I doubt anyone wants to watch them all...but at the very least - it gave me an excuse to watch them all again :beerwink: )

Satyricon: Fuel for Hatred (this is the censored version - looks like the uncensored version has been taken down - oh darn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRK3jjeF2zI

Satyricon: Mother North
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD7bCRG3CG0

Behemoth: At the Left Hand ov God
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2shxcirl ... 6D11291354

Behemoth: Alas, Lord is Upon Me
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U-bToFXUjs

Dimmu Borgir: Sacrilegious Scorn (my very favorite)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cqKafnUrk

Dimmu Borgir: Progenies of the Great Apocalypse (extreme version - not work safe fyi)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joEAb_y7ZYA

Immortal: Call of the Wintermoon :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8e ... re=related

Immortal: Grim and Frostbitten Kingdoms
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Q7TlcX ... re=related
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: Black Metal

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 am

That Immortal video is one of my all time favorites :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for that list, I'd have to say by far my favorite of the lot is Mother North. Such a fantastic song, and great video to boot! :beerwink:

Guess I could open up the discussion with trying to define the "big 4" of black metal that led to us wanting the thread in the first place. Here's my list, though I'm not a fan of every band on it:

Bathory
    Mayhem
    Darkthrone
    Emperor

Mayhem and Darkthrone I could just never get into. The first 3 Bathory albums are fantastic and Emperor is my favorite black metal band :beerhorns:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:10 am

mooyagi wrote:Bathory
    Mayhem
    Darkthrone
    Emperor

You'll get a lot of debate here though I am short on time to give it to you, haha. If you have "Until the Light Takes Us" with the bonus DVD, Fenriz does a interesting breakdown of the 1st wave (Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc.) and then 2nd wave. As for second wave I put my vote behind Varg and Burzum. He had his fingers to some degree in two of the above mentioned bands. I plan to also defend one of my favorite second wave BM albums, Samael - Ceremony of Opposites. :D

Apparently Fenriz puts his lessons out in audio format as well, haha: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Old-School-B ... B0002V4UZI
    1. Winds Of The Black Godz - Blasphemy
    2. Satanic Lust - Sarcofago
    3. Dawn Of Megiddo - Celtic Frost
    4. Sluts Of Hell - Nattefrost
    5. Evil - Mercyful Fate
    6. Burst Command Til War - Sodom
    7. Elisabeth Bathory - Tormentor
    8. Blood Unity - Aura Noir
    9. Curse The Gods - Destruction
    10. Into The Pentagram - Samael
    11. Whisky Time - Bulldozer
    12. The Freezing Moon - Mayhem
    13. The Third Of The Storms - Hellhammer
    14. Ea, Lord Of The Deeps - Burzum
    15. Warhead - Venom
    16. Dies Irae - Bathory
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:18 am

soundcurve wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Bathory
    Mayhem
    Darkthrone
    Emperor

You'll get a lot of debate here though I am short on time to give it to you, haha. If you have "Until the Light Takes Us" with the bonus DVD, Fenriz does a interesting breakdown of the 1st wave (Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, etc.) and then 2nd wave. As for second wave I put my vote behind Varg and Burzum. He had his fingers to some degree in two of the above mentioned bands. I plan to also defend one of my favorite second wave BM albums, Samael - Ceremony of Opposites. :D

I wasn't impressed with "Until the Light Takes Us" actually. Found it pretty boring with no new information. As for my list, I'll stand by Bathory covering the first wave. I think Bathory really helped to craft what the black metal sound would eventually become. Mayhem I put on there more for the image and the attitude than the music. In terms of notoriety, Mayhem can't be beat. Add to the fact that Euronymous in my opinion really led the movement in Norway as it was forming. He came off as the ringleader. Darkthrone, though I've never been a big fan of them, I think has had left quite a mark as well. I'd see leaving them off, though. Emperor is my personal favorite of the genre and they really progressed the black metal sound quite a bit. They've covered pretty much all of the black metal styles throughout their discography.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:00 pm

mooyagi wrote:I wasn't impressed with "Until the Light Takes Us" actually. Found it pretty boring with no new information. As for my list, I'll stand by Bathory covering the first wave. I think Bathory really helped to craft what the black metal sound would eventually become. Mayhem I put on there more for the image and the attitude than the music. In terms of notoriety, Mayhem can't be beat. Add to the fact that Euronymous in my opinion really led the movement in Norway as it was forming. He came off as the ringleader. Darkthrone, though I've never been a big fan of them, I think has had left quite a mark as well. I'd see leaving them off, though. Emperor is my personal favorite of the genre and they really progressed the black metal sound quite a bit. They've covered pretty much all of the black metal styles throughout their discography.

Well,I started my black metal trip picking up Bathory's first album. Was heavily immersed in the arts of Slayer and wanted the next step in my “satanic voyage”, haha. I bought it but it wasn't something that caught me enough yet or to this day has not. That honor lies with Samael - Ceremony of Opposites (CoO). I mention Bathory as they are cited as a (the) originator of the genre but it wasn't till it was refined in the 2nd wave that I gave the genre proper notice. I agree with you though, they seemed to be truly the originator. Just when growing up listening to bands who took what bathory did and improved upon it , it is hard to retroactively look back on version one. I do own jubileum vol. 1 and 2 and pop em in here and there and respect the songs for what they are.

I'd put Burzum up there as it seems Varg had his hands in a lot of those bands and much of the church burning movement seen by his influence (and his hand). He had cause and conviction, one beyond image and one he acted on. I know Varg comes off as a cocky prick and doesn't seem to understand modesty in the least but I feel his influence was more the push that got BM the publicity and brought it into the light. I think just like some of the "bad guys" I investigate at work, he needed to blab for the notoriety and it got him in shit ( I am sure he wanted this). As for his musical output, I think it is a different type of black metal in that it is trance inducing and love it. The music should be the focus though with BM (esp. the 2nd wave) the actions are merged with the music. Just like Jon Nödtveidt, people still seem to love Dissection regardless that he killed a guy for being homosexual. Least Varg had a reason (least to himself) to go after Euronymous. Not that I defend murder but fans shouldn't be shocked when a artist sings about brutal topics and come to act on them.

Darkthrone I agree in that I can't get into them at all and Emperor are great musicians but found their material have more progressive leaning than black. Unlike thrash I can't really pick just 4 so will leave someone trver than I for that, haha. All the ones you picked though are on point but for my taste my faves are: Samael (CoO-era), Drudkh, Burzum, Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir (yea, they aren't trve anymore, still good), Gorgoroth with Ghaal, Marduk (more for their attitude than pure musical quality), 1349, Secrets of the Moon (newer band but captures the essence of despair very well.), Enslaved. :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Interesting and detailed comments mooyagi & soundcurve... especially when you described how you started to get into black metal, soundcurve. The first band for me was Behemoth in 2007. I know they're sometimes called a "blackened death metal" band, but I consider them firmly in the black metal category. I was on some music forums back then, and I'd see their name mentioned here and there so I finally checked out their myspace page, and was really blown away by the sheer, grab you by the throat, POWER of their music....I had never heard anything quite like it!! I was already well into stuff like Opeth at the time, but Behemoth was like a whole new dimension of "heavy" and I went nuts for it. If I remember correctly, some of the songs featured on their myspace at the time were Slaves Shall Serve and Conquer All from Demigod, and Decade of Therion from Satanica....all still some of my favorites of their output. I saw them for the first time in early November 2007 at the House of Blues on a double bill with Job for a Cowboy of all bands! It was one of those all-ages weeknight shows at HoB that are required by law to end by 10 pm - Unfortunately, I got there a little late and walked in when Behemoth was already on their 2nd or 3rd song. Well...here I had thought their recordings were powerful - but seeing them live? Holy shit!!! :shock: :twisted: :cool:

Ha - here I've only talked about Behemoth and they were just the beginning, really just the tip of the iceberg, of my black metal journey. So, I was really into them...and was so psyched to find out in early 2008 that they were already coming back to Chicago in May opening for a band called Dimmu Borgir. And I'm thinking to myself - "hmmm, who is this Dimmu Borgir from Norway...have I ever even listened to any bands from Norway? :P - guess I better check them out"..... ;)
    to be continued....
    :beerhorns:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Behemoth was once a black metal band but I think now they are firmly situated in the death metal category. Here's an example of their black metal roots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD66yjXqDYE

Samael's Ceremony of Opposites is a mighty fine album, soundcurve. :beerhorns:

My favorite BM bands with favorite album by each:
    Emperor (Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk)
    Dimmu Borgir (Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia)
    Kampfar (Mellom Skogkledde Aaser)
    Gorgoroth without Gaahl :P (Under the Sign of Hell)
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:30 pm

mooyagi wrote:Kampfar (Mellom Skogkledde Aaser)

I've heard the name Kampfar and will have to scope the album. There are just so many bands to scope. I did buy a couple Summoning , Taake, and Windir (bummer about the singer) albums based on recommendation and was pleasantly surprised. As you might know Gorgoroth are re-recording that album. I guess I like the Gaahl-era partially due to the comedy of how over the top it was. I enjoy Kings writing too / mix as it was a bit thicker and I started with death metal before black metal so that appeals to me. :cool:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 am

Laura wrote:"hmmm, who is this Dimmu Borgir from Norway...have I ever even listened to any bands from Norway? :P - guess I better check them out"..... ;)

Haha, yea. I use to gamble a lot based on album cover due to the power of the internet not being as strong a force back in 94 - 96 time. I guess that is why to me a great album cover gets me to pick up (or order now) a CD and take a chance sometimes. I would get relapse records catalogs and split the cost with a friend on ordering a junk load of metal based on cover alone back in the day (no myspace samples/ torrent /napster just yet . . but irc). Mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas was one of them. But even then with their magnum opus, it didn't get me( granted I was more into the likes of cannibal corpse and deicide at the time)

If their were two albums I recommend as a must for a black metal fan are these (aside from samael - CoO that I gloat about).

Burzum - Filosofem http://www.amazon.com/Filosofem/dp/B001 ... 809&sr=1-2
    (newer) Drudkh - Autumn Aurora http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Aurora/dp/ ... =8-1-spell

These two are both best digested after a couple drink(s) in a dark solace room. They can take you on a trip if you are open to it. It is another side of black metal that doesn't enhance the anger / hatred in the music but a dark despair that I feel is a stronger force. Definitely not music you put on when wanting to party with friends, haha.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:34 am

mooyagi wrote:Behemoth was once a black metal band but I think now they are firmly situated in the death metal category. Here's an example of their black metal roots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD66yjXqDYE

I like this thread!

Thanks for the link - I'm on my iPhone now though and that youtube won't play - will have to try it later on the iMac.
    Genre labeling irritates me at times - the fact that I consider Behemoth largely a black metal band is a highly personal, subjective one I suppose - How can I describe this? For me, they are similar to (at least some of) the other bm bands I like experiencially - both aurally (strictly listening) as well as visually. Plus they've got a lot of the blasphemy and theatrical schtick goin' on, which is integral to a lot of bm music (in my view at least).

Black metals bands I like a lot off the top of my head (who at one time or another at least have gotten the bm label)
    Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Bathory, Immortal, Triptykon, Satyricon, Enslaved, Marduk, 1349, Ulver (although I actually prefer the newer non-metal Ulver), Kampfar, Borknagar, Chthonic, Emperor, Nachtmystium, Cradle of Filth....I've seen them all live (except for Bathory & Emperor) too at least one or more times - incredible!
    :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:00 am

soundcurve wrote:Burzum - Filosofem http://www.amazon.com/Filosofem/dp/B001 ... 809&sr=1-2
    (newer) Drudkh - Autumn Aurora http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Aurora/dp/ ... =8-1-spell

These two are both best digested after a couple drink(s) in a dark solace room. They can take you on a trip if you are open to it. It is another side of black metal that doesn't enhance the anger / hatred in the music but a dark despair that I feel is a stronger force. Definitely not music you put on when wanting to party with friends, haha.

Will definitely check these two out in the atmosphere you described. :cool: ;)

I was thinking about this Black Metal label again....even Agalloch and Wolves in the Throne Room have got that label (at least by allmusic.com and some other sites)! So I guess I should add both those awesome bands to this thread. And then....I forgot about Ghost and Samael (although I'm partial to the later non-bm Samael).

And as I wrote on the HITS thread....Italy's Mortuary Drape has caught my interest lately. :twisted:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:44 am

soundcurve wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Kampfar (Mellom Skogkledde Aaser)

I've heard the name Kampfar and will have to scope the album. There are just so many bands to scope. I did buy a couple Summoning , Taake, and Windir (bummer about the singer) albums based on recommendation and was pleasantly surprised. As you might know Gorgoroth are re-recording that album. I guess I like the Gaahl-era partially due to the comedy of how over the top it was. I enjoy Kings writing too / mix as it was a bit thicker and I started with death metal before black metal so that appeals to me. :cool:

Here's a couple Kampfar links. They are touring with Vreid in Sept/Oct so it would be a great show to check them out. If you like Summoning, Taake and Windir you'd definitely be able to get into Kampfar. I love MSA and the Kvass albums.

Valdogg (Mellom Skogkledde Aaser):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJbMtkurEdM
    Ravenheart (Kvass): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ba6Vs-mUI
    And here's a newer one, Ildstemmer (Mare): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnvJx6txXfc

I thought for Gorgoroth, the King/Gaahl era had some very weird songs. The Incipit Satan album was just flat out odd (except for Unchain My Heart!, which despite having the most emo name fucking possible, was an amazing song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Pz6-tZwmE
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:29 am

Forgot to mention, yes, I do know Gorgoroth is re-recording Under the Sign of Hell. I have no idea why. The album is just fine as is :evil:

Laura wrote:
    I was thinking about this Black Metal label again....even Agalloch and Wolves in the Throne Room have got that label (at least by allmusic.com and some other sites)! So I guess I should add both those awesome bands to this thread. And then....I forgot about Ghost and Samael (although I'm partial to the later non-bm Samael).

The Black Metal label certainly casts a much wider net now than it did early on. It's cool to see a few bands experiment and not worry about being too kvlt :roll: One band that comes to mind that mixes a few different sounds, especially instruments (including a didgeridoo for you Aussies!) is Oblomov out of the Czech Republic.

Starsend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1h3gdCAWdA
    Deconstructing the Order: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irdJz32Isa4 - This song's more reminiscent of death metal but it shows some experimentation
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:58 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:"hmmm, who is this Dimmu Borgir from Norway...have I ever even listened to any bands from Norway? :P - guess I better check them out"..... ;)

Haha, yea. I use to gamble a lot based on album cover due to the power of the internet not being as strong a force back in 94 - 96 time. I guess that is why to me a great album cover gets me to pick up (or order now) a CD and take a chance sometimes

Ha - actually, I don't think I've ever bought an album solely based on its cover, but I have bought albums cold upon a strong recommendation from certain people whose opinion I value or just knowing one song. Back to Dimmu, as I mentioned - when I found out they were the headliners for my second Behemoth gig in May 2008, I knew I wanted to check them out beforehand. (I only knew of them vaguely by name at that point). I distinctly remember the first song/video I saw on youtube - a live performance of Mourning Palace.... and I immediately loved it. First album I bought was Death Cult Armageddon - again - totally loved it - I mean, my god, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse? Amazing! I especially liked the symphonic elements (I was raised on a lot of symphonic and opera music), layered and dramatic composition....also the combo of Shagrath's and Vortex's voices in one song and the insane drumming throughout. I ended up buying everything they had put out at that point. Then May 2008 rolled around and I went to that Behemoth/Dimmu gig and they did not disappoint - one of my favorite gigs I've been to. They are not only one of my very favorite metal bands, they are in my top favorite six bands of any genre of music. Anyway...they were my entree into the Norwegian black metal scene. Granted....that's only three years ago and there's a lot of ground to cover so there are a few bands I haven't really checked out much or at all - namely Mayhem, Burzum (who I've consciously avoided or put off), Gorgoroth, and Darkthrone. What happened is that I got focused on the Norwegian bands I really liked - plus that was about the same time I was getting into the folk/pagan/viking stuff (plus I always have a foot firmly planted in the 70's and 80's music of my youth :P ;) )- so there's only so much music I can absorb!

My favorite Dimmu Borgir album? Similar to how I feel about my other all-time favorite bands.....I really can't pick one....they're all brilliant! :P I guess if I had to pick three at this moment? Stormblast (1996), In Sorte Diaboli (2007) and their latest Abrahadabra (2010).
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Sorry for the wall of text :lol:

Laura, I saw Dimmu on that tour with Behemoth as well. Unfortunately, it was shoehorned into the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival, which is a load of crap (think shortened setlists, tons of hardcore and metalcore bands and their associated fanbases :evil: plus every fucking Spring tour gets thrown into it so you don't get a proper show from the bands you want to see). Behemoth was absolutely amazing and took pretty much all the energy out of the crowd by the end of their set. Dimmu took over an hour to come on after Behemoth and the crowd was just sapped after a long day. The band themselves seemed to lack a lot of energy for that show too. The other time I saw them on the Invaluable Darkness Tour they were much better but still lacking. Maybe I caught them on two bad nights, but it was disappointing.

As for my favorite Dimmu albums, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia is by far my favorite followed by the original Stormblast (remake completely takes away the atmosphere of the original and was a severe disappointment) and Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. As for Death Cult Armageddon, I may be in the minority, but save a few songs the album is terrible. I thought they went too far with the orchestration/symphonic elements for that one.

As for your list of bands to check out, I always thought Mayhem was more about the image and the attitude than about the music (probably what a lot of BM bands from that era were) and the music just never grabbed me. I've stated many times on this forum my distaste for Varg Vikernes so I recommend you skip over Burzum. Darkthrone is another one that I just couldn't get into and it seems like soundcurve and I will give you completely different opinions on Gorgoroth.

Since I'm making a huge post anyways, I'll throw some Gorgoroth links here for ya as they have quite a few changes in sound throughout their history (albums in parentheses):

Sexual Bloodgargling (A Sorcery Written in Blood) This is off of their demo
    Katharinas Bortgang (Pentagram) My favorite, well, tied with Unchain My Heart!!!
    Possessed (By Satan) (Antichrist) Another good one and the final album with Hat on vocals
    Funeral Procession (Under the Sign of Hell) Featuring my favorite of the bands' vocalists, Pest
    På Slagmark Langt mot Nord (Destroyer: Or About How to Philosophize with the Hammer) Absolutely love the drumming on this song
    Ein Eim av Blod og Helvetesild (Incipit Satan) First full album with Gaahl (appears on one song in Destroyer) and it's an odd one though it contains the aforementioned Unchain My Heart!!! which I've linked in a previous post
    Procreating Satan (Twilight of the Idols: In Conspiracy with Satan) This album has more of a death metal feel to it
    Carving a Giant (Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam) Probably their most accessible material
    Prayer (Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt) Pest returns as vocalist, though this album was a disappointment for me

Hopefully that'll keep you busy for a little while :beerwink:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:46 am

mooyagi wrote:Sorry for the wall of text :lol:

Laura, I saw Dimmu on that tour with Behemoth as well. Unfortunately, it was shoehorned into the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival, which is a load of crap (think shortened setlists, tons of hardcore and metalcore bands and their associated fanbases :evil: plus every fucking Spring tour gets thrown into it so you don't get a proper show from the bands you want to see). Behemoth was absolutely amazing and took pretty much all the energy out of the crowd by the end of their set. Dimmu took over an hour to come on after Behemoth and the crowd was just sapped after a long day. The band themselves seemed to lack a lot of energy for that show too. The other time I saw them on the Invaluable Darkness Tour they were much better but still lacking. Maybe I caught them on two bad nights, but it was disappointing.

You are not the first person who I've heard say they thought Dimmu was a lacking or boring live band. I've heard people say this about Opeth and Porcupine Tree too - a few of the other bands in my all time top 6. Maybe I just love the music so much...know every note, etc., I'm just biased and these bands can do no wrong! :lol: :lol: I guess as dynamic and kinda out there Dimmu's videos are, one might expect a more over the top stage show (like Rammstein who we both just saw)... come to think of it, Shagrath didn't even move around a whole lot on stage when I've seen them - I mean he's no maniaical performer like a Robb Flynn (who I think is amazing btw) - but to me it doesn't matter and is somewhat irrelevant. In my view (and hehe - you know this from the ladies thread :P ), Shagrath has a larger than life presence and otherworldly magnetism that is unmatched :P ! :twisted: The man could sit on a folding chair on the stage for all I care. :lol: And as I've said on the ladies thread recently, the fact that Shagrath is so :twisted: hot :twisted: ;) is just a bonus for me - the music always come first - he just makes DB even more of a "win-win" - ha - makes me think of one of my other top 6 bands - Rush - Geddy Lee is no Shagrath on the hot scale - but he is without doubt one of the true ROCK GODS and I've always been pretty effin nuts about him too (albeit in a different way) ;) :P
    Image Geddy and Shagrath (2 "extreme" vocalists ;) ) :cool:

Dimmu Borgir: Serpentine Offering http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmMcBQavKE
    Rush: Temples of Syrinx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeVTkUUCwfo
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 am

Enslaved: another incredible Norwegian black metal band!!!
    I didn't know much about them until late 2008 - around the time they were announced for Wacken 2009 which I had bought my ticket for in fall 2008. I was already way into Dimmu and Satyricon by that time, so when I saw a Norwegian black metal band I didn't know of yet on the WOA 2009 bill, I was psyched. Bought one of their classics - ISA (great!) - before WOA and listened to other random stuff. Really enjoyed their Wacken gig - unfortunately though, it conflicted with Machine Head - my friend watched the whole Enslaved gig, but I left at one point to catch some of MH. I bought Enslaved's DVD Live Retaliation when I got back home - and since then bought Frost (1994), Mardraum (2000), Ruun (2006) and of course their latest Axiomi Ethica Odini which I think is a real masterpiece. I really need to invest in their whole discography - but, hell! 11 studio albums for god's sakes! :lol: They were fantastic opening for Dimmu last November and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them in their home country this summer! :D :beerhorns:
    Last edited by Laura on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:06 am

mooyagi wrote: I've stated many times on this forum my distaste for Varg Vikernes so I recommend you skip over Burzum. Darkthrone is another one that I just couldn't get into and it seems like soundcurve and I will give you completely different opinions on Gorgoroth.

Yea if you don't like Varg it is going to be hard for you to approach his music. I guess my analogy to that would be Dave Mustaine and Megadeth these days, haha :) But if you want atmosphere I think burzum hits it outta the park. I did scope the kampfar album you recommended and it was pretty damn good. I need to listen to it more to sink in. Read up a bit on em' on metal archive.

As for Gorgoroth, I think I liked their newer era probably for the reason you might not of digged it. It was more chaotic to me and weird which I liked. A lot of chromatic guitar movements that sounded more off than you basic black metal dissonance. The music sounded more pissed off. It really fueled and sparked some aggression to me and hey they still kicked out some "trance" numbers I digged.
    Gorgoroth - Sign Of An Open Eye http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWwR_Mw ... Bu&index=3
    Gorgoroth - Exit Through Carved Stones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHumAIJo ... Bu&index=4
    And love Wound Upon Wound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yZ-jBRnY8 Sounds crushing.

I'll have to give "Under the sign of hell" more spins. Though like Dimmu redoing "stormblast" gorgoroth might destroy the atmosphere modernizing the album.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:43 am

Laura wrote:Enslaved: another incredible Norwegian black metal band!!!

I really like the album Monumension.
    One of my fave tracks from them, Convoys To Nothingness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5lSJL3rKC0

I guess I shoulda linked a couple Burzum tracks worth a listen to see if it is worth d/l / investing time in a album since I don't think mooygai will be touching them :beerwink: but I still feel they are relevant (Hell, I think some of the best black metal comes from the most deranged). Just remember the approach is atmosphere and not straight forward brutality / guitar. Defiantly a more layered approach. Good listening too when you got a cold like me and are jacked on Dextromethorphan! haha
    Older:
    Burzum - Jesus Tod
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXu8M6q6v84
    Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBll5LyMnAw
    Newer:
    Fave off Fallen - Valen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaDK2gxqVg
    Faves off Belus - Glemselens Elv and Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=830xNRZg3Fo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ybiHBotes

As for purchasing a complete album, Filosofem or Belus are good starting bets. Also, this wouldn't be a band you'd pregame listen to for a show cause they don't play live.
    Uhg, back to work. :cry:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Soundcurve & Mooyagi - just a quick note that I appreciate all of your links and comments - lots of good info. Haven't really gotten to the links - waiting for when I have a block of time on the iMac when my non-metal family is NOT in the family room. ;) :roll: :evil: :lol:

Quicky comment for Mooyagi: My friend who I went to Wacken with in 09 and who I've gone to a lot of metal shows with thought the Until the Light Takes Us documentary really sucked (I haven't seen it) Some of the best docs I've seen are from Europe and are on youtube in parts - will look them up again later on - also, there are a lot of good interviews with various bm folk on youtube too - love watching interviews!! :ugeek:
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Here's a few clips from some of my fav Black Metal bands. By no means a complete list but all of these are good examples of their work.

Astriaal (from Brisbane and have seen them many times, awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxvbN2CxVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KQJal1Cxkw

Anaal Nathrakh (These guys are crazy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYSv9IqzEg

Destroyer 666 (from Melbourne, haven't listened to them for a while but they're pretty consistent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7cdHiZ010

Naglfar (Love Naflgar and this is one of their best songs IMHO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guzdSHVK_Qc

Catamenia (Really liked this album and the one before, however the newer stuff is not grabbing me as much.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YjFczL41sk
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Remember Sam Dunn's Metal Family Tree from his documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (2005)? Thought I'd look it up to see who he puts in the Black Metal categories...(no real surprises here)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal:_A_H ... ly_tree.22

First wave of black metal (1981−1986)
    Venom; Bathory; Mercyful Fate; Celtic Frost

Norwegian black metal (1990−present)
    Mayhem; Darkthrone; Immortal; Gorgoroth; Emperor; Satyricon; Enslaved; Dimmu Borgir; Cradle of Filth (actually from UK)

• Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Also - just for fun - here's allmusic.com's list of artists under Black Metal (Top Artists) http://www.allmusic.com/explore/style/b ... 65/artists
    1st Immortal 90s, 00s
    1st Enslaved 90s, 00s
    1st Dimmu Borgir 90s, 00s
    1st Ulver 90s
    1st Emperor 90s, 00s
    1st Mayhem 80s, 90s, 00s
    1st Darkthrone 90s, 00s
    1st Burzum 90s, 00s
    2nd Old Man's Child 00s
    2nd Satyricon 90s, 00s
    2nd Sigh 90s
    2nd Agalloch 00s
    2nd Borknagar 90s, 00s
    2nd Moonsorrow 00s
    2nd Gorgoroth 90s, 00s
    2nd Windir 00s
    2nd Arcturus 00s
    2nd Marduk 90s, 00s
    2nd Cradle of Filth 90s, 00s
    3rd Leviathan 00s
    3rd Drudkh
    3rd Moonspell 90s, 00s
    3rd Abyss 90s
    3rd Krieg
    3rd In the Woods... 90s, 00s
    3rd Summoning 00s
    3rd Lord Belial 90s, 00s
    3rd Funeral Mist 00s
    3rd Naglfar 00s
    3rd Thorns 90s, 00s
    3rd Nachtmystium 00s
    3rd Venom 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s
    3rd Blackstar 90s, 00s
    3rd Ihsahn 90s, 00s
    3rd Taake 90s
    3rd Watain 90s, 00s
    3rd Xasthur 00s
    3rd Kvist 90s
    3rd Vintersorg 90s, 00s
    3rd Shining 00s
    3rd Hecate Enthroned 90s, 00s
    3rd Falkenbach 00s
    3rd Limbonic Art 90s, 00s
    3rd Deathspell Omega
    3rd Diabolical Masquerade 90s, 00s
    3rd Draugar 00s
    3rd Katharsis 00s
    3rd Ved Buens Ende 90s
    3rd Bal-Sagoth 90s, 00s
    3rd Kovenant 90s, 00s
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Laura wrote:Also - just for fun - here's allmusic.com's list of artists under Black Metal (Top Artists) http://www.allmusic.com/explore/style/b ... 65/artists

Haha, Sorry bout all the links and that list covers most the bands I would mention / listen to.

1st Immortal 90s, 00s - I never been able to get hardcore into them. I did enjoy I - Between Two Worlds though even though it sounds a lot like them. Just found the tunes catchier. I checked out the new Demonaz album but it was boring stuff to me. I know black metal is gimmicky here and there but they came off as black metal KISS. I guess I just don't feel any conviction in their stuff. oh well.

3rd In the Woods... 90s, 00s Surprising, I guess they have elements but they are more folk / dead can dance-ish to me.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:39 pm

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:Also - just for fun - here's allmusic.com's list of artists under Black Metal (Top Artists) http://www.allmusic.com/explore/style/b ... 65/artists

Haha, Sorry bout all the links and that list covers most the bands I would mention / listen to.

1st Immortal 90s, 00s - I never been able to get hardcore into them. I did enjoy I - Between Two Worlds though even though it sounds a lot like them. Just found the tunes catchier. I checked out the new Demonaz album but it was boring stuff to me. I know black metal is gimmicky here and there but they came off as black metal KISS. I guess I just don't feel any conviction in their stuff. oh well.

3rd In the Woods... 90s, 00s Surprising, I guess they have elements but they are more folk / dead can dance-ish to me.

No need for "sorry bout the links!" :lol: The links are great and god knows I've thrown up a million links on this forum :P - I just have to find the time at home to view/listen to them on the household computer, since so often the iPhone says "can not load movie." :evil: And like I said, I live among non-metal folk who think wife's/mom's music of choice over the past several years is just too effin weird! So - to keep the peace - I'm a stealth metal fan at home :lol: .

Anywaaaay....I'm a huge Immortal fan. Once I was blown away and totally sold on DB, Satyricon and Enslaved by the end of 2008, I decided to look into another well-known Norwegian bm band - and I bought Immortal's At the Heart of Winter totally cold - had never heard their music bofore. In short, I loved it upon first listen. It makes my top 20 most influential albums list in fact! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=740&hilit=influential+albums I've got tons more I could write about Immortal but gotta go - I actually love your "black metal KISS" comment... :cheers:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:21 pm

shaneos wrote:Here's a few clips from some of my fav Black Metal bands. By no means a complete list but all of these are good examples of their work.

Astriaal (from Brisbane and have seen them many times, awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxvbN2CxVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KQJal1Cxkw

Destroyer 666 (from Melbourne, haven't listened to them for a while but they're pretty consistent)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax7cdHiZ010

Catamenia (Really liked this album and the one before, however the newer stuff is not grabbing me as much.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YjFczL41sk

Thanks for these names/links as well! I've seen the name Anaal Nathrakh a lot - I'll add them and the others to my "to-check-out" list. :cheers:

soundcurve wrote:Burzum - Filosofem http://www.amazon.com/Filosofem/dp/B001 ... 809&sr=1-2

I like your comment regarding the anger/hatred and dark despair - because the variety of emotions different types of music are capable of expressing and the feelings they create in the listener is a subject that has always fascinated me. When I've talked about bm music to certain people, for example, they're kinda like "wtf? how could you possibly want to listen to that?" I could write a huge wall of text on that subject - maybe later. ;)
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 pm

Laura wrote:I like your comment regarding the anger/hatred and dark despair - because the variety of emotions different types of music are capable of expressing and the feelings they create in the listener is a subject that has always fascinated me. When I've talked about bm music to certain people, for example, they're kinda like "wtf? how could you possibly want to listen to that?" I could write a huge wall of text on that subject - maybe later. ;)

Agreed, that requires a long post, haha. I said it before but the feeling/emotion transcends "black metal = this guitar tone + this beat per minute + these vocals and message." Sometimes I say to myself that genre should be classified by emotion rather than Death Metal = X , Thrash = Y, etc. but I think people latch onto a sound and stick with it (and each person's brain feels something different so . . ). I mean, a lot of the elitist black metal, trash, death, etc. reminds me of people way back in high school looking to latch onto a identity and defend it to its death. It is admirable, but it is still music. Bah, It goes back to your genre classification you hinted at with Behemoth. Perhaps they don't fit into the genre of black metal now but their attitude, emotions, and conviction transcends the classification. I feel the despair and other emotion on many classic songs from The Animals, Blue Oyster Cult, The Jefferson Airplane, etc. trigger some of the same stuff I feel with BM. I guess that is why I am all over the place with music. I chase the emotion / high it gives me more than " I can only listen to X and if not equaled to formula, it is weak". Seems to happen a lot in metal. The same devotion that makes it awesome sometime backfires and makes thing militant against fellow music lovers. :|
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 pm

Laura wrote:
    shaneos wrote:Here's a few clips from some of my fav Black Metal bands. By no means a complete list but all of these are good examples of their work.

Thanks for these names/links as well! I've seen the name Anaal Nathrakh a lot - I'll add them and the others to my "to-check-out" list. :cheers:

Just a warning, Anaal Nathrakh are intense, yet awesome. Going to pick up their latest album "Passion" this week. They are a tough one to classify as they blend quite a few different styles. Fits well with soundcurve's distaste for explicit labeling :lol:

Naglfar is certainly a top notch band for me as well. Highly recommended for those who don't know them. Personally I'm a big fan of the Pariah album. Here's my favorite off of that album, Spoken Words of Venom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoNmx_31LlE and The Perpetual Horrors, which has a great video. Love the marching in place :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBSelDbxWOE&feature=fvwrel

Now hurry up and listen to all these links Laura so we can post more :mrgreen: :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 am

mooyagi wrote:Just a warning, Anaal Nathrakh are intense, yet awesome. Going to pick up their latest album "Passion" this week. They are a tough one to classify as they blend quite a few different styles. Fits well with soundcurve's distaste for explicit labeling :lol:.....
    Now hurry up and listen to all these links Laura so we can post more :mrgreen: :beerhorns:

Intense, eh? I like intense. ;) :twisted: I listened to that A.N. song a few times and it immediately reminded me of 1349 - something like the song When I was Flesh from Demoinor. Here's them doing it live on the last fall's tour in Denver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxTxPXF5xg (the album version shows the similarity a bit better, but I couldn't find a link). I saw 1349 with Triptykon in Chicago on that same tour - another outstanding double bill. 1349 is another Norwegian black metal band I Iike a lot (see sig wishlist ;) )....when I found out a few years ago Frost was the drummer for them, as well as Satyricon - I had to check them out. I own three of their five studio albums - Hellfire (2005), Revelations of the Black Flame (2009), and Demonoir (2010). I also saw them at Wacken last summer which was really cool in that atmosphere 'round midnight on Friday. Wow - weird coincidence, soundcurve - I'm looking at the line-up that day and I see that Secrets of the Moon (who you mentioned) played that evening as well - although I missed them. :cry:

Here's a shitty picture I took of 1349 that night- but it's a nice reminder of the evening nevertheless. ;)
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:20 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote:I like your comment regarding the anger/hatred and dark despair - because the variety of emotions different types of music are capable of expressing and the feelings they create in the listener is a subject that has always fascinated me. When I've talked about bm music to certain people, for example, they're kinda like "wtf? how could you possibly want to listen to that?" I could write a huge wall of text on that subject - maybe later. ;)

Agreed, that requires a long post, haha. I said it before but the feeling/emotion transcends "black metal = this guitar tone + this beat per minute + these vocals and message." Sometimes I say to myself that genre should be classified by emotion rather than Death Metal = X , Thrash = Y, etc. but I think people latch onto a sound and stick with it (and each person's brain feels something different so . . ). I mean, a lot of the elitist black metal, trash, death, etc. reminds me of people way back in high school looking to latch onto a identity and defend it to its death. It is admirable, but it is still music. Bah, It goes back to your genre classification you hinted at with Behemoth. Perhaps they don't fit into the genre of black metal now but their attitude, emotions, and conviction transcends the classification. I feel the despair and other emotion on many classic songs from The Animals, Blue Oyster Cult, The Jefferson Airplane, etc. trigger some of the same stuff I feel with BM. I guess that is why I am all over the place with music. I chase the emotion / high it gives me more than " I can only listen to X and if not equaled to formula, it is weak". Seems to happen a lot in metal. The same devotion that makes it awesome sometime backfires and makes thing militant against fellow music lovers. :|

:cheers: I pretty much agree with everything you said here, and like you, my music tastes all over the map, as well.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:24 am

Laura wrote:1349 is another Norwegian black metal band I Iike a lot (see sig wishlist ;) )....when I found out a few years ago Frost was the drummer for them, as well as Satyricon - I had to check them out. I own three of their five studio albums - Hellfire (2005), Revelations of the Black Flame (2009), and Demonoir (2010).

Do you have any good 1349 links? I've never really given them much of a listen before though I do like the song "I Am Abomination"
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:44 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Laura wrote:1349 is another Norwegian black metal band I Iike a lot (see sig wishlist ;) )....when I found out a few years ago Frost was the drummer for them, as well as Satyricon - I had to check them out. I own three of their five studio albums - Hellfire (2005), Revelations of the Black Flame (2009), and Demonoir (2010).

Do you have any good 1349 links? I've never really given them much of a listen before though I do like the song "I Am Abomination"

They don't have many videos , however, one of my favorite songs is Sculptor of Flesh from Hellfire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDSSqAF-VdU I must say even though I like the song a lot - not so fond of the video - too "Joseph Mengele" for me - that kind of serial killer, torture, gore stuff is a real turn off for me visually. On the other hand - when Dimmu Borgir uses blasphemous and bloody Christ kind of imagery - I think it's really effective and I like it. I think this is because I've studied and seen so many bloody Christ images from the history of art throughout my education, work, and travel....always powerful on many levels I think. :P ;) DImmu Borgir: Sorgens Kammer Del 2 from the re-recorded version of Stormblast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gt7YWwOmRo
    Weird - never looked up the English translation to the Norwegian lyrics of Sorgens Kammer Del 2 until now... I like.
    http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... 3F0011664E

Minnenes ekko stiller timen
    Kneblet i tungsinnets lenker faller jeg ifra
    Ikke lenger vil jeg være boltet fast i vemodighetens anker
    Men endelig få lengselen slukket - Etter å dra

Drakk jeg for meget av livhåpets krus
    Tok jeg gledens forfengelighet for gitt
    For min strid mot tomhetens smerte - Denne dødsangstens rus
    Er det eneste ene igjen - Som er mitt

I min ensomhet vet jeg likevel
    At jeg ikke har noen andre å takke enn meg selv
    Derfor er jeg rolig når
    Repet strammes rundt min nakke

Stumme vitner kan ei gi trøst
    Menigmann i gravkorets forsamling vil aldri fatte
    Det landet av fortapelse
    Jeg egenhendig skapte

Denne intense dragning mot dødens portaler
    En vandrende studie i gråtkvalt messe-noir
    Behersket siden tidenes morgen
    Men noe jeg aldri lot slippe taket - Var sorgen

I min ensomhet vet jeg likevel
    At jeg ikke har noen andre å takke enn meg selv
    Derfor er jeg rolig når
    Repet strammes rundt min nakke

English translation (Excuse me if any writing errors. The text is quite difficult)

The echoes of silence sets the hour.
    Gagged in the chains of "depression", I fall away.
    No more I will be bolted fast in the anchor of "melancholy".
    But finally get my longing "fulfilled" - for leaving.

Did I drink too much from the goblet of "lifehope"?
    Did I take the vanity of joy for granted?
    For my battle against the pain of emptiness - this intoxication of the angst of death,
    Is all that is left... that is mine.

In my loneliness I still know,
    That I have none to thank but myself.
    This is why I remain calm,
    As the rope is tightening around my neck.

Silent witnesses can not give comfort.
    The ordinary man in the assembly of the "gravechoir" will never understand.
    The land of despair
    I created by my own hands.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 am

Norway FTW! http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159096

Thanks for the link, Laura. I'll check it out when I get a chance to :beerhorns:
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:23 am

mooyagi wrote:Do you have any good 1349 links? I've never really given them much of a listen before though I do like the song "I Am Abomination"

They are a great band, no nonsense, and straight forward. I had a blast seeing them on the Celtic Frost tour. Was right up front and they do respect their fans more-so than I can say for the likes of Watain shortly after (Nothing like a show leaving smelling like dead deer, covered in unknown blood, some loogies in your hair, and your friends hand smashed cause he had the audacity to but it accidentally on a monitor. Granted I still like Sworn to the Darkness ;) ) Bah, back on topic.

Easily the safest buy is the Album Hellfire. Here are some fave tracks o' mine.
    Riders of the Apocalypse(sounds better live) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpDLhkLW10Y (And there is a link to my friends live footage of the show we were at (looks like shit though as the lights were all off)
    Maggot Fetus Teeth Like Thorns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQalarKDSeY
    Celestial Deconstruction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_uwZgLSw0
    Nathicana http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru-TRLxb ... re=related
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:50 am

Laura wrote: soundcurve - I'm looking at the line-up that day and I see that Secrets of the Moon (who you mentioned) played that evening as well - although I missed them. :cry:

Bummer, yea they are a very dark, miserable, and crushing band (I mean that in a good way!). They are slower but the impact they deliver is heavy. The kinda tunes that make people feel uneasy I am sure. They are a kinda band I feel the conviction in their tunes.
    Lot of folks fave:
    Verse (crappy quality) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYTcD5niGE

Or get a tasting of their latest which to me is very dark http://www.amazon.com/Privilegivm-Secre ... s_dp_dpt_1

If you got a good system, slap it on and crank it as it is a experience. Granted you got a ton to listen to though! haha. I think they are the best German black metal band.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am

mooyagi wrote:Norway FTW! http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=159096

Thanks for the link, Laura. I'll check it out when I get a chance to :beerhorns:

That news story is awesome - just another reason why the country of Norway rules. :lol: :beerhorns: (and why I decided I had to return so soon this summer ;) )

Since I don't work till 1 pm today - I listened to a lot of 1349 this morning uninterrupted and did some more youtubing of them looking for better links. I'll repeat - that live video of When I Was Flesh doesn't do that song justice - so I recommend listening to the album recording. The first of the three albums I own that I listened to this morning was Demonoir that that song is from. This is an outstanding album and I highly recommend it. I bought it last year when it came out and I listened to it quite a bit around the times I saw them (August and Fall of last year).....and now it's been several months since I listened to it. I do this with bands/albums fairly frequently - I'll listen to them a lot (often around the time I'm seeing them live) and then give them "a rest." (ha - I'm currently on a Tyr "sabbatical" - I think I may have o.d.'ed on Tyr a bit :lol: ) Back to Demonoir - it was great to hear again and I think I'm even more impressed with it now upon revisiting it. It's a heavy album - but there's enough variety and complexity to keep me interested throughout. I buy all my albums on iTunes and that version is the 16 track "expanded versions" - it begins with an atmospheric track called Tunnel of Set, Xi, and every other track following is a Tunnel of Set numbered through Xvii. The Tunnel of Set tracks are only around a minute and I think they are effective interludes between the heavyiness. I especially like the slower-tempo title song Demonoir http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABY08YdSwWQ . Another good one is Psalm 7:77 - here's a video from the Wacken gig I saw - it doesn't quite do the song or the experience of being there justice - but here it is anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGr1-FDlCfM Imo, this album is one of those that is best appreciated listening to in its entirety from beginning to end. The three bonus tracks in the expanded version are three pretty cool covers: Rapture (Morbid Angel), Strike of the Beast (Exodus), and Nerves (Bauhaus!!! :cool: :cool: )

Another killer 1349 song is Invocation, the opening track of the album Revelations of the Black Flame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJoLNAlEqWk That's another album I bought cold strictly on a good review. The beginning of the song is basically blood curdling screams :shock: :P and I thought to myself - what are these nutty Norwegians up to now? :lol: - but seriously - this is a GREAT song - I especially love the transition around mid-way through (2:58 or so on the youtube) its 6 minutes.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Laura wrote: soundcurve - I'm looking at the line-up that day and I see that Secrets of the Moon (who you mentioned) played that evening as well - although I missed them. :cry:

Bummer, yea they are a very dark, miserable, and crushing band (I mean that in a good way!). They are slower but the impact they deliver is heavy. The kinda tunes that make people feel uneasy I am sure. They are a kinda band I feel the conviction in their tunes.
    Lot of folks fave:

Or get a tasting of their latest which to me is very dark http://www.amazon.com/Privilegivm-Secre ... s_dp_dpt_1

If you got a good system, slap it on and crank it as it is a experience. Granted you got a ton to listen to though! haha. I think they are the best German black metal band.

Thanks again for the links - I WILL get to them all eventually. SotM is a band I didn't know beforehand and one of the few I hadn't checked out - so I didn't see them. I'm looking at my WOA Friday schedule again and that was such an amazing music day (as was Saturday). With only a few breaks, I saw bands solid from 11:30 am till 3:00 in the morning, in this order (all full hour sets unless otherwise noted): Amorphis (70K 2012 - yeah!!), Orphaned Land , Ill Nino; a few songs each of Frei.Wild & Apo. Reiter (played same time); Endstille, Kamelot (with Roy Khan! :D ), Tarja :D (love her - see wish list!), Grave Digger (about 4 or 5 songs), MAMBO KURT :lol: , 1349 (most of it - caught a little bit of Slayer who was at the same time at a nearby stage; about half of Anvil (loved their movie btw), and ending with the epic CORVUS CORAX from 2-3 am with a huge fire show at the end. :shock: :cool:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:08 pm

soundcurve wrote:

Lot of folks fave:

Just listened to this - like it! Solid stuff - do you know if they've ever toured here in the US?
    Here's another name to throw in the ring: Helheim from Bergen, Norway :cool: ;)
    Never heard of them before I saw them announced for HITS - they are referred to as viking black metal. I bought 2 of their albums in the past month - Yersinia Pestis from 2003 and Kaoskult from 2008 (they've got a bunch - been around since 1992!) I like both VERY much - here's a song called Northern Forces from Kaoskult http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxE8xwRI ... ata_player

That Watain story is humorous the way you told it :P - The friend you're referring to is Kent right? I seem to remember him talking about that gig. For the record - I think I draw the line at the idea of smelling rotting animals - a bit too :twisted: ;)
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Okay, I've held back while you've all had fun. I'm still waiting for the pictures of Laura with corpsepaint on. Don't tell me they don't exist. They have to.

Someone send me a PM when they are posted so I can peek back in this thread :metalguy: :metalguy: :metalguy:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:14 pm

KevinP wrote:Okay, I've held back while you've all had fun. I'm still waiting for the pictures of Laura with corpsepaint on. Don't tell me they don't exist. They have to.

Someone send me a PM when they are posted so I can peek back in this thread :metalguy: :metalguy: :metalguy:

:|
    :lol:
    So, what's your fave black metal band? Do tell and post links!!!!

Ftr, I used to do face paint now and then for Halloween years ago, but never anything resembling corpse paint then or now - so sorry to disappoint :P :beerhorns:
Post Reply 644 posts