Post Reply 151 posts
OPETH / KATATONIA 2011 Tour - Forum Meetups
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: OPETH / KATATONIA 2011 Tour - Forum Meetups

by rwalters » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:45 am

I did the Katatonia only show in Cleveland a few weeks back. It was so amazing to hear LFDGD in it's entirity. I never cared much for Opeth but love Katatonia. I know that doesn't make much sense to most :)
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:00 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    KDibildox wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm curious to hear how they sound on the cruise, having seen them with Tarja twice. I have seen youtube videos, though :shock:

From the 2 songs on the Wacken 2008 DVD they sounded pretty good. Even the old stuff.

Really? if they don't conflict with other bands I want to see I will probably check them out for a bit

rwalters wrote:I did the Katatonia only show in Cleveland a few weeks back. It was so amazing to hear LFDGD in it's entirity. I never cared much for Opeth but love Katatonia. I know that doesn't make much sense to most :)

I would have loved to be at one of the shows where they played LFGGD. Tonight's music is one I've always wanted to see live. I also went more for Katatonia than Opeth, but liked both though Katatonia more
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Yeah I think Nightwish might have had the same problem that Iced Earth had when Matt rejoined the band. At first it didn't sound very good with the new singer cus everyone was raging and she was new, but she probably got her legs after a few tours and now sounds good. I guess we'll find out soon.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:06 pm

That we will :mrgreen:

Is it January yet? :twisted:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Nightwish with Annete for me is unlistenable. I assume they will be a closing act so I will give it a shot for them to change my mind.

I can't imagine seeing Olzen singing classic material off of Oceanborn and Wishmaster. I'm sure they'll play very little off of those and stick with stuff like Bye Bye Beautiful (gross)
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

by Amyphis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:50 pm

EvilDan wrote:The Dallas show is October 5, but I'm mixed on whether I'm going to go. Might be more easily convinced if there are other forumites going, but I only recall seeing 2 fairly inactive people in the DFW area on here.

Well Evil Dan, I went to the Dallas show, the Austin show and the Houston show and I have to say that the Houston show was by far the best of the three. I am sorry that I did not see this earlier. I was on the guest list for Katatonia and they gave me 2 tickets for each show and I only needed one.
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:59 am

Amyphis wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:The Dallas show is October 5, but I'm mixed on whether I'm going to go. Might be more easily convinced if there are other forumites going, but I only recall seeing 2 fairly inactive people in the DFW area on here.

Well Evil Dan, I went to the Dallas show, the Austin show and the Houston show and I have to say that the Houston show was by far the best of the three. I am sorry that I did not see this earlier. I was on the guest list for Katatonia and they gave me 2 tickets for each show and I only needed one.

Ack! I ended up not going, for a variety of reasons. Oh well. It's cool that you were able to follow them on their Texas swing. Always so much fun when I've been able to do that. And that you got to see their best show in the state.

I did run into Stoverkill at Judas Priest. And I still occasionally run into other forumites. We may have to try a forum meetup at another show.

Vets should always wear their 70k shirts to shows! That way we can have an impromptu meetup.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

by Amyphis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 am

EvilDan wrote:
    Amyphis wrote:

Ack! I ended up not going, for a variety of reasons. Oh well. It's cool that you were able to follow them on their Texas swing. Always so much fun when I've been able to do that. And that you got to see their best show in the state.

I did run into Stoverkill at Judas Priest. And I still occasionally run into other forumites. We may have to try a forum meetup at another show.

Vets should always wear their 70k shirts to shows! That way we can have an impromptu meetup.

I think that is a great Idea.
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:16 am

Tonight is the opeth gig in guleph not really lookign forward to it
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:12 am

Rab wrote:Tonight is the opeth gig in guleph not really lookign forward to it

Ha! I went to the show last night and I have to say that if this is the new direction of Opeth and not just another get it out of Mike's system album and tour, I will only go to see them play again if there are big comfy chairs to sit in.
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:59 am

I was completly unimpressed with there set infact i saw a few songs then tryed to go get katatonia to sign some photos but insted i watched there bus driver smash up a station waggon and drive off highlight of my week last night
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:38 am

Rab wrote:I was completly unimpressed with there set infact i saw a few songs then tryed to go get katatonia to sign some photos but insted i watched there bus driver smash up a station waggon and drive off highlight of my week last night

I was entertained by the crowd reaction. I think a good third of the crowd left during the show once they realized what they were getting. Amazing that this far into the tour that people didn't know that they were only doing "soft stuff"
    There was also some crowd drama with a group of douchebags being themselves and another group telling them to shut up and enjoy the show or leave. I kinda wished they would have shut up, but then again the whole thing was about as entertaining as what was going on onstage.
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:32 am

I knew i wasent gettign a heavy set and i went in there with an open mind but honestly i was bored to shit it just was not what i wanted or want to see from opeth a few soft songs sure but a set of it is just to much when thye have so much incredible materal in there catalouge

I hope its not like that in april when they come back
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:48 am

Rab wrote:I knew i wasent gettign a heavy set and i went in there with an open mind but honestly i was bored to shit it just was not what i wanted or want to see from opeth a few soft songs sure but a set of it is just to much when thye have so much incredible materal in there catalouge

katatonia bored me so much that opeth sounded super heavy after them! and akerfeldt's voice is gorgeous. sure he has a great growl but i support him singing as much as he wants, he's a talented guy, sure maybe that doesn't make everyone happy but he's a damn good singer and entertaining and i was willing to rock out with him.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:21 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    Rab wrote:I knew i wasent gettign a heavy set and i went in there with an open mind but honestly i was bored to shit it just was not what i wanted or want to see from opeth a few soft songs sure but a set of it is just to much when thye have so much incredible materal in there catalouge

katatonia bored me so much that opeth sounded super heavy after them! and akerfeldt's voice is gorgeous. sure he has a great growl but i support him singing as much as he wants, he's a talented guy, sure maybe that doesn't make everyone happy but he's a damn good singer and entertaining and i was willing to rock out with him.

I agree with everything you say and i want to be there with you on this i just cant after so many years of seeing opeth and seeing what they can do as a metal band i want that. last night was my 14th seeing opeth and honestly i would of been ok no problem missing that set i should of left after katatonia
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:19 am

Hitting this up tonight. It is sold out so the interest is there. I sneaked Katatonia's setlist and it looked like it contained some of their "heavier" tracks (Ghost of the Sun, Leaders, Forsaker, w/o god, murder) while opeth's seemed very chill. I dig opeth but haven't been able to get into their latest offerings (Soft or heavy). I am sure the albums are good but the mode hasn't been there for me.

WizardBeast wrote:katatonia bored me so much that opeth sounded super heavy after them!

Uh oh :lol: I hope I saw the right setlist!
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:00 am

Well the show was fucking great. Katatonia sounded great and played some of their heavier stuff (without god and murder) which I loved as well as their new tracks. Anders "Blakkheim" Nystrom got on vocals for the last two songs.

Opeth got a bit too light and the set did trod along a little but fuck it, they closed the set with two bloodbath songs (wasn't sure of the first) that ripped the place up. In to the pit I went to hail praise to "Eaten"! Glad I went. :bmhorns:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 am

soundcurve wrote:, they closed the set with two bloodbath songs (wasn't sure of the first) that ripped the place up. In to the pit I went to hail praise to "Eaten"! Glad I went. :bmhorns:

Seriously? They didn't do that for us!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:04 am

soundcurve wrote:Opeth got a bit too light and the set did trod along a little but fuck it, they closed the set with two bloodbath songs (wasn't sure of the first) that ripped the place up. In to the pit I went to hail praise to "Eaten"! Glad I went. :bmhorns:

You suck :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:06 am

KevinP wrote:
    soundcurve wrote:Opeth got a bit too light and the set did trod along a little but fuck it, they closed the set with two bloodbath songs (wasn't sure of the first) that ripped the place up. In to the pit I went to hail praise to "Eaten"! Glad I went. :bmhorns:

Not buying that for a second.

Well it happened. Why the hell would I lie about it???
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:16 am

soundcurve wrote:
    KevinP wrote:

Not buying that for a second.

Well it happened. Why the hell would I lie about it???

To make us all feel jealous?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 am

Either it's a huge FB conspiracy or it really happened. It's bullshit that you guys were the only ones to get that special encore.
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:29 am

Last date for the tour. I'm not surprised, it's pretty common for the last gig, doesn't mean I have to like it though. :bitch: ;)
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:34 am

Bentz! wrote:Either it's a huge FB conspiracy or it really happened. It's bullshit that you guys were the only ones to get that special encore.

Eh, with it being the interweb-age (pics or it didn't happen) I am sure a youtube video will surface in time. Maybe my wife was filming something. As for me I rather go nuts and enjoy the song than stand there and video tape. It was a two song encore so maybe some people left (still felt packed). Mikeal did mention it was worth sticking around before in the set. I believe they had the full band there between the touring guitarist Per? in katatonia and the two bands other members. It was great, hopefully Bloodbath with do a full tour of the states in time for those who missed out.
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:58 am

soundcurve wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:Either it's a huge FB conspiracy or it really happened. It's bullshit that you guys were the only ones to get that special encore.

Eh, with it being the interweb-age (pics or it didn't happen) I am sure a youtube video will surface in time. Maybe my wife was filming something. As for me I rather go nuts and enjoy the song than stand there and video tape. It was a two song encore so maybe some people left (still felt packed). Mikeal did mention it was worth sticking around before in the set. I believe they had the full band there between the touring guitarist Per? in katatonia and the two bands other members. It was great, hopefully Bloodbath with do a full tour of the states in time for those who missed out.

Yeah I've already seen it mentioned in a couple of other places. Bloodbath wiki was one and some other forum too.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Hey soundcurve, you're a lucky bastard for seeing some Bloodbath tunes. For those who didn't know, I caught a setlist at the Arizona show, but it didn't look like this one:
    :lol:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:52 am

soundcurve wrote:Well the show was fucking great. Katatonia sounded great and played some of their heavier stuff (without god and murder) which I loved as well as their new tracks. Anders "Blakkheim" Nystrom got on vocals for the last two songs.

Opeth got a bit too light and the set did trod along a little but fuck it, they closed the set with two bloodbath songs (wasn't sure of the first) that ripped the place up. In to the pit I went to hail praise to "Eaten"! Glad I went. :bmhorns:

:cry: :cry: :cry:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:08 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Hey soundcurve, you're a lucky bastard for seeing some Bloodbath tunes. For those who didn't know, I caught a setlist at the Arizona show, but it didn't look like this one:
    :lol:

hahahaha awesome!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:55 am

Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:00 am

Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:04 am

:lol: Hey now, don't attack my lovely city. We invented challenge pissing! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBs455jwb8w
Post Reply 151 posts