Post Reply 74 posts
The best concert you have ever seen...
    BlackToothGrin
    Crewman

The best concert you have ever seen...

by BlackToothGrin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

I would have to say it's a tie between Lamb of God and The Black Dahlia Murder.

:twisted: And your opinions...........
    militant_x
    Oiler

Re: The best concert you have ever seen...

by militant_x » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Blind Guardian at the house of blues, Orlando FL, on a cold winter night...
    Still the wind blows, calm and silent
    metalia
    Oiler

by metalia » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:38 pm

The first show of Sonata Arctica in Montreal in 2005

My best show ever, I was expecting it a looooooong time ago and since that day, we had the chance to have them actually every year if it's not 2 times a year

:)
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Oh man... the best ever for me was Avantasia with the whole crew. It was awsome!
    -----------------
    Zeh
    metalia
    Oiler

by metalia » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Oh man... the best ever for me was Avantasia with the whole crew. It was awsome!

:shock: :shock: Holy *** Wow...
    KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

by KK Cruiser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Accept opening for Golden Earring around 1982 in Regina, Saskatchewan. I was young and impressionable.
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:39 pm

I really cannot name one!

My Dying Bride- Wacken 2004
    Ensiferium- Party San 2004
    Kalmah- Wacken 2003
    Hollenthon- Wacken 2003
    Blind Guardian and Iced Earth- Dynamo 98
    Venom- Wacken 00
    Sodom, Candlemass, Gorgoroth- Hole in the Sky Festival -Norway- 09
    Bolt Thrower, Asphyx, Sigh- Maryland Deathfest 09
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:33 am

Manowar in Earthshaker festival in Germany Geiselwind in 2005.
    Was my first Manowar show and i am always in search of a gig that can ever equal it.
    They played classic songs from all the albums.
    Played 2 songs with the Ross the boss and Dannie Hamzik.2 songs with the Rhino and David Shankle lineup.
    Even had an orchestra and choir for some songs.
    And to top it all off they played Batle Hymns with every single member of Manowar past and present.
    3 drummers and 3 lead guitarist playing at the same time was something epic.
    Barb

by Barb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 am

Blind Guardian @Via Funchal 2007.
    treedroppings
    Wiper

by treedroppings » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm

FastWay, Saxon, Iron Maiden at San Francisco 1983 World Piece Tour :!:
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:12 pm

Mine would be the First Progressive Nation Tour

-Dream Theater
    -Opeth
    -Between the Buried and Me
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    jd15k
    Oiler

by jd15k » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:41 am

metallica last month
    iron maiden last year
    therion in 2007
    blind guardian in 2007
    cant really name one ^^
    Metallion
    Oiler

by Metallion » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Pretty hard to name just one. So I'll name a few.

Blind Guardian - If I had to name one as "the" best. It would be this one.
    Porcupine Tree - It's porcupine tree, nuff said
    Opeth 2009 - They pretty much played every single song I wanted them to.
    Symphony X - First time I saw them was incredible, Encore was The Odyssey
    Dream Theater - First time I saw them live was also the first time I went to Las Vegas. Too bad I wasn't 21 at that time.
    Tool - This was pretty much the first show I ever went to. So maybe for that reason it always sticks out in my mind.

Prog Power IX 2008 - The whole experience was unreal. Really fun. Favorites shows were Helloween, Riverside, Jon Oliva's Pain and Iced Earth.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:33 pm

I wish i'd seen them play.Kepp missing them cause of festivals and stuff.
    Also the last time they played in Ireland i refused to go because Marilyn Manson was supporting.My friends did go and apprently someone threw a shoe at his head.They also booed Eddy for waving the union Jack.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:44 pm

I hope that shoe was full of shit! :lol:

As for me, I couldn't really name just one, but I'll try and name a few:

Kreator - Ft. Lauderdale 10/2002 (I was amazed at how tight their playing was and the song selection was killer as well)

Primal Fear - Progpower VIII (first time and only time I've seen them and they blew me away)

Tad Morose - Milwaukee Metalfest (2002?) (I was really not expecting them to be THAT good live. Made me more of a fan, that's for sure)

Helloween - New York 11/1998 (What made this great was the fact that the venue was the size of a shoebox and was sold out at about 300 to 400 people. This was their one and only US gig in 9 years, so I flew there to see it. Hung out with the band afterwards, and Andi Deris is a cool guy to talk to. No rock star bullshit there)

Thrash Of The Titans - San Fransisco 09/2001 (Holy shit, did this just rule. The epitome of Bay Area Thrash, and then some, all in one mega epic show. I was surprised some people's heads didn't start flying off from all the headbanging and moshing. Heathen, Sadus, Forbidden, Flotsam And Jetsam, S.O.D., Exodus, Death Angel, Vio-lence, Anthrax and Legacy, with Souza on vocals. A thrash lovers dream to be sure, and I was there.Classic!)

Some after show moments, like going to IHop with Exodus and grubbing out after one of their gigs here a few years ago. Or funnier still, having breakfast at McDonalds with Opeth and Katatonia. Just a couple of examples, with some wackier stories yet to be told.

I have seen more bands and been to more shows then I can count right now, but there have been plenty of other killer sets I have been witness to as well. Perhaps I'll think of some more later :twisted:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:27 am

Primal Fear played in Dublin once before.20 people showed up....
    And i think for the Kreator gig in Belfast there was like 15 people attending....
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:57 pm

Wow, that's terrible. The Primal Fear gig I mentioned was somewhere near the 2000 range (It was Progpower after all), and Kreator (which was here) had probably anywhere from 500-600 in attendance. :twisted:

And some people think no one in Florida likes Metal. Bullshit I say!
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:11 pm

To be fair there's probably a bigger population Florida than the whole of Ireland.
    There is a growing metal scene in Ireland but it's more black,thrash,doom,Death orientated.
    They like some heavy metal bands but not too many.
    It's up to people like me to keep the true metal crusade alive over here ;)
    Death to the falses!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Primal Fear RULE live. Period. They ripped everyone a new a-hole both times that I saw them at Wacken. Now they are coming to Seattle next month I believe. And I look forward to it.

Death to the False is right. Like Black Dahlia Murder, Dillinger Escape Plan, Killswitch Engage.....Chimara, these bands MUST be destroyed on sight. :mrgreen:
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 pm

I assume you saw the great Wacken petition of 07.There was about 3000 signatures along with many many threats agsinst Bullet for my Valentine.
    Strangely enough the singer had to have an operation al of a sudden around the time of the festival and they didn't play that year ;)
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Turisas with Powerglove in New Orleans, LA in 2008. Powerglove has to be the single best opening act I've ever seen (and really still hoping they make an appearance on the ship).

Sonata Arctica in Houston in 2007 is a close second.
    Die for Dethklok
    Crewman

by Die for Dethklok » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 am

I enjoyed Dethklok the two times i've seen them and it's been my favorite Metal concerts. The first time i drove to Orlando to see them, the second time it was in Pompano Beach.

Another great concert i went to was KISS. I really dont like them much but a good show is a good show.
    "Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever!"
    -Dan Daly USMC at the battle of Belleau Wood, France 1918

Cabin 6517- Who are my cabinmates?
    audrey
    Petty Officer

by audrey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Both Paganfests I went to were incredible. Also Pagan Knights with Tyr & Alestorm was amazing. I have seen so many shows, so it takes a lot to impress me these days. So I usually judge my favorite concerts based on the whole experience. My favorite bands live are Aborted, Amon Amarth and Ensiferum. But that is only so far...lol.
    I have a sneaky suspicion that 7000 tons will be my new all time favorite!
    :viking:
    AlestormHail of Bullets/Asphyx/11th HourTurisasDark FortressDying FetusVomitoryHeidevolkArkonaDeeds of FleshImmortalAura NoirKalmahInsomniumWarbringerHoly GrailHavokEvileAnthraxMoonsorrowAmorphisUnleash The ArchersTriptykonThyrfingStormlordSatyriconPrimordialNaglfarEntombedWintersunEnslavedAbortedLeaves EyesPrimal FearManegarmVreidKampfar
    audrey
    Petty Officer

by audrey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Manowar in Earthshaker festival in Germany Geiselwind in 2005.
    Was my first Manowar show and i am always in search of a gig that can ever equal it.
    They played classic songs from all the albums.
    Played 2 songs with the Ross the boss and Dannie Hamzik.2 songs with the Rhino and David Shankle lineup.
    Even had an orchestra and choir for some songs.
    And to top it all off they played Batle Hymns with every single member of Manowar past and present.
    3 drummers and 3 lead guitarist playing at the same time was something epic.

Nice! That show would be epic. I have never seen Manowar sadly.
    AlestormHail of Bullets/Asphyx/11th HourTurisasDark FortressDying FetusVomitoryHeidevolkArkonaDeeds of FleshImmortalAura NoirKalmahInsomniumWarbringerHoly GrailHavokEvileAnthraxMoonsorrowAmorphisUnleash The ArchersTriptykonThyrfingStormlordSatyriconPrimordialNaglfarEntombedWintersunEnslavedAbortedLeaves EyesPrimal FearManegarmVreidKampfar
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Sadly I have, and they did not live up to the rep, and on top of that they were assholes. After the show when some guy asked Joey Demaio to take a picture, he told him to fuck off. Unbelievable. :shock:

Rhapsody was touring with them at the time and easily out performed Manowar, and they were friendly with the fans. The experience completely soured me on Manowar. I will never give those guys another penny
    audrey
    Petty Officer

by audrey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Captain Metal wrote:Sadly I have, and they did not live up to the rep, and on top of that they were assholes. After the show when some guy asked Joey Demaio to take a picture, he told him to fuck off. Unbelievable. :shock:

Rhapsody was touring with them at the time and easily out performed Manowar, and they were friendly with the fans. The experience completely soured me on Manowar. I will never give those guys another penny

Booooooo. That is brutal (the bad way lol). It really takes away from a band when they are assholes to their fans. That just pisses me off that they wouldn't even take a photo.
    reddevil
    Oiler

Headbanging Bastard

by reddevil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:30 am

Blaze Bayley was fucking amazing. I mean there were may be 200 Metalheads in a 2000thousand metalclub and everyone was singing along, drinking and headbanging till the neck were stiff ( I did it even longer, autsch :mrgreen: ). and if you know how to work you're fucking camera he was all night open for photos and if you know how to drink a fucking amazing swiss beer you could drink with him all night long at the bar...what a gig.

the best is coming right now...he'll destroy switzerland again in two weeks, yeahhhhh :shred:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:39 am

audrey wrote:
    Captain Metal wrote:Sadly I have, and they did not live up to the rep, and on top of that they were assholes. After the show when some guy asked Joey Demaio to take a picture, he told him to fuck off. Unbelievable. :shock:

Booooooo. That is brutal (the bad way lol). It really takes away from a band when they are assholes to their fans. That just pisses me off that they wouldn't even take a photo.

Though they are my favourite band i will admit that their attitude has changed over the years.
    It's more like they are willing to give the time to fans who they already recognise or are aqquainted with but for everyone else it's pay for the ultimate fan package.
    Personally i felt they have never let me down at the concerts i was at.
    But i guess like every band they have their good and bad days.I heard similar stories that they were absolutely crap at Hellfest last year although they playeed incredible shows at Metalway and MCF last year.
    I've seen them play 8 times now and will see them another 2 times this year.One of the shows i was at they played in Bulgaria for 5 hours.

Joeys known to be an asshole so i'm happy i've never met him because things might turn ugly :lol:
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Purely for nostalgia reasons:

Judas Priest & KISS in 1979- Nassau Colliseum, Long Island, NY (my 1st ever concert)

I was 7 years old and my dad took me. I never knew of Priest before that and I told my dad, "all these guys do is scream". KISS took forever to get onstage, I fell asleep for most of it, but remember waking up to see Paul Stanley smashing his guitar. :shred:

:mrgreen: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    phluvr85
    Oiler

by phluvr85 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:02 am

I haven't really been to that many concerts, but I had a great time at all of them.

Standouts being:
    - King Diamond in 2005
    - Gigantour in 2006(front row center seat may have had something to do with that)
    - GWAR in 2006 and 2007 Awesome shows they put on.
    - Metallica in 2004 and 2009 They can play a great show.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:20 pm

As far as the Manowar thing went, it was a real disapointment in the end, unfortunately. Aside from what I already stated, there was also the fact that they enacted all these rules for the show like NO spiked gauntlets (really), NO moshing, etc. AND if someone even so much as took out a camera phone, even to send a text, the Manowar security nazis would grab them and throw them out. I even saw some guy right in front of me with an old cell phone (no camera) that got man handled just for taking it out.

Needless to say, the venue owner (whom I know) was not thrilled by all this. He swore he would never deal with them again :lol:

Hell, when Manowar's manager found I didn't pay to get in (as a guest of the owner), he tried to have me thrown out, which didn't happen. Forget the fact that I was hosting a Metal radio show at the time and was the main source of promotion for the gig, which he knew as I had a conversation with him a short time before. What a dick :evil:

After writing all this, I think I'll start a new thread for WORST concert ever seen
    CharleneThrashes
    Petty Officer

by CharleneThrashes » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Haven't had the opportunity to see tons of metal shows and I can't really pick a fave amongst them all.
    I have to mention that the one time I seen Symphony X, they were playing their asses off... FOR 15 PEOPLE! 12 of which didn't know who the hell they were. This was for Gigantour and I swear there couldn't have been more than 150 people in the whole stadium at the end of the night for Dream Theater or Megadeth - in a college town. It is really sad in the area I live.

70000 Tons of Metal Onboard Success: Take Fucking 2! Divorce
    kept me from the last one, but I won't take "no" for an answer this time.
    Zeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Zeh » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Captain Metal wrote:As far as the Manowar thing went, it was a real disapointment in the end, unfortunately. Aside from what I already stated, there was also the fact that they enacted all these rules for the show like NO spiked gauntlets (really), NO moshing, etc. AND if someone even so much as took out a camera phone, even to send a text, the Manowar security nazis would grab them and throw them out. I even saw some guy right in front of me with an old cell phone (no camera) that got man handled just for taking it out.

Needless to say, the venue owner (whom I know) was not thrilled by all this. He swore he would never deal with them again :lol:

Hell, when Manowar's manager found I didn't pay to get in (as a guest of the owner), he tried to have me thrown out, which didn't happen. Forget the fact that I was hosting a Metal radio show at the time and was the main source of promotion for the gig, which he knew as I had a conversation with him a short time before. What a dick :evil:

After writing all this, I think I'll start a new thread for WORST concert ever seen

I'll send this, with your permission, to some Manowar affictionados I know. I think they play nice, but they are too assholes for my taste.
    -----------------
    Zeh
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Where was this?
    Also if you were talking about the tour with Rhapsody Joey was Manowars tour manager.
    Personally i've never seen things like that at any of their gigs but i know it's not the same now.
    I've heard of worse though with W.A.S.P a few years ago before Blacky became Christian he used to have security guards tackling and throwing anybody out of the venue who tried to take a photo of him on stage :lol:
    Although things with him have changed now too.his manager lets people take photos now.
    I think at some point in most big bands career they act like dickheads and then after a shortwhile they either remember it's about the fans or continue to be a business as opposed to a band
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Captain Metal wrote:As far as the Manowar thing went, it was a real disapointment in the end, unfortunately. Aside from what I already stated, there was also the fact that they enacted all these rules for the show like NO spiked gauntlets (really), NO moshing, etc. AND if someone even so much as took out a camera phone, even to send a text, the Manowar security nazis would grab them and throw them out. I even saw some guy right in front of me with an old cell phone (no camera) that got man handled just for taking it out.

Also where was this concert.If it was in Germany what place?
    Cause i can ask from a shitload of people was there any of that kind of carry on at that gig and no matter how big a Manowar fan they are they still wouldn't lie to me about it.
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:13 pm

This show was here in South Florida (Culture Room in Ft. Lauderdale to be exact) about 4-5 years ago. As for the manager I spoke of, I should have clarified that it was their tour manager, which was not Joey. He may have played that role for the Euro tour, but not so for the US. I will however give Karl Logan props for actually having the balls to sign some stuff, even though he looked around first to make sure he wouldn't get caught by the Mano-Tyrants and flogged for his impudence :lol:

I am totally on the level about all this. It really was one of the most ridiculous displays of rock star bullshit I have ever witnessed.

As for WASP, I'll be seeing them this Wednesday (St. Pattie's Day), so we'll see if Blackie's attitude has improved. I know that him not playing Animal anymore is defintely not an improvement :evil:

And to Zeh, show all this to whomever you want. It's fine with me :headbanger:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 am

Yeah the not playing 'fuck like a beast' thing sucks.

I agree Karl Logan is a really nice guy.After MCF 1 we were at a train station waiting for the train to arrive and he actually approached us singing 'Manowar Manowar living on the road' and started talking to us and what we thought of the show.Took a picture with us and waffled on a bit about how he'd always wanted to play folk songs in a pub in Ireland.
    It was really cool though.These days for the most part you gotta pay to meet the band.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Nightwish - 2005 with Tarja. Even though as a band unit they weren't very happy, they still put on a great live performance.
    Behemoth - The first time they toured Australia in 2006. (I think)
    Cannibal Corpse - One of the tightest bands I have ever seen live. However the last time I saw them was not as good as the first.
    Opeth - Well really, need I say more?
    Epica - Canadian tour 2010. I flew 14 hours to see these guys three times in Canada and it was worth every cent I spent. They're all down to earth and pretty cool in person too.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • Tourach12
    Wiper

by Tourach12 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:50 am

6/21/01 - Extreme Steel tour with Pantera, Slayer, Static X and Morbid Angel. The venue was awsome, the crowd was great, the bands all played killer sets. Plus it was the first time I'd been to a real metal show, and I got to see my two favorite metal bands together, Slayer and Pantera.

10/18/08 - Amon Amarth with Ensiferum, Belphegor and The Absence - The Absence wasn't bad but not great either, Belphegor was awsome, even though i'm not a huge black metal fan, Ensiferum KICKED ASS. I'd only heard 1 album of their so I wasn't familiar with alot of their stuff, and hearing them live was just awsome. Amon Amarth put on possibly the best single performance I'd ever seen. Completely blown away by their show. I'd heard some of their older stuff, but I really became a fan with Fate of Norns. I really wasn't prepared for them live.

Dont/Remember/TheDate - Motorhead and Morbid Angel - The show I went to was towards the end of tour so I was hoping Motorhead would still have energy to put on a good show. HOLY CHRIST - Morbid Angel played about 45 minutes and put on a solid show. Not the best set I've seen them play, but not the worst. Then Motorhead comes on... They played for nearly 3 hours... Balls to the walls the entire time, Lemmy was awsome, his banter between songs was great and just consumate professionals all around. Played all their hits, as well as most of Inferno (which they were touring for at the time.)

7/21/03 - Iron Maiden/Dio/Motorhead - An awsome lineup, awsome show, great all around,
  • ImmanuelCunt666
    Wiper

by ImmanuelCunt666 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:54 am

Savatage on the "Dead Winter Dead" Tour guess it was 1996

Overkill @ Dynamo Open Air in 1999

Iced Earth @ Rock Hard Festival 2008

Malevolent Creation @ Up From The Ground Festival 2004
Post Reply 74 posts