Post Reply 50 posts
Prog
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

Prog

by EvilDan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:19 am

I haven't really seen a thread about this, and from what I've seen, it may be a thread for 2 people, but I wanted to get other people's feedback on a couple of things.

Obviously, the best thing to come out recently is Arch/Matheos, so skipping that...

I've seen great reviews for White Arms of Athena's Astrodrama. It seems okay, but none of it really grabs me. It would easily fall by the wayside, but I keep listening to it trying to figure out why people love it so much.

Also, I've been checking out Textures' Dualism. At times, I really like it, but then it suddenly starts sounding like Staind or Sevendust or some crap like that. So it's hard to listen to, but I like it more than the WAOA above.

Really looking forward to seeing Animals As Leaders opening for BTBAM, but I haven't heard any TesseracT. And another band I haven't heard much from is Periphery, which is starting to get some buzz.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    viathyn
    Commander

Re: Prog

by viathyn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:43 pm

I haven't heard of that white arms thing.. I'll have to check it out.

New Textures is pretty crazy at times! I haven't given it the full attention it deserves yet, so I'll formulate some stronger opinion one way or the other once I've given it a few spins.

Animals as leaders is crazy. Having them and BTBAM on the same bill is quite exciting! I really like BtBam.. especially 'Colors'.. brilliant album. TesseracT is ok, kinda 'djent' at times. New singer isn't very fitting for their style though. Speaking of singers, Periphery vocals just really don't do it for me. I met Misha 'Bulb' back in January at NAMM, and he's a super cool guy. The instrumental version of their album is worth listening to for sure.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:55 pm

EvilDan wrote:Obviously, the best thing to come out recently is Arch/Matheos, so skipping that...

For me this is the only thing worthwhile to come from the Prog front this year. I love this album. Animals as Leaders has their moments but overall it's too widdley widdley for me. I can't stand those "Djent" bands or whatever the fuck they're called. Between the Buried and Me is a good band though, I haven't heard their latest material. Colors was great.

Myrath had a killer album a year or two ago called Desert Call which was totally wicked, sounded like Orphaned Land, but with more power metal leanings and no growly vocals. Just lots of Tunisian grooves, deadly riffs, very cool vocals and lyrics are the desert. Awesome album!
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:46 pm

YES!! Arch/Matheos

Also really getting into the new Opeth CD which in my opinion is Proggy as hell. :headbanger:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:18 am

John Arch just doesn't sing like anyone else. Love all his stuff.

So far, this appears to be the only unrepresented metal genre? We have thrash, death, black, folk, pagan, doom, power, industrial/electronic, symphonic and gothic.

Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:54 am

I love Prog. I would be thrilled if a prog band got announced. ;)
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:34 pm

I've been pining for a prog announcement since I first registered for the first cruise.

Pwease? Pwetty pweeeease?

Please check out my band

Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 am

I'm not a prog fan at all, well, if one adds tech death into the prog category then yes.
    I think this might be the perfect thread to promote a friend's band: Constantine from Finland. They've just recorded their first album for a small label. Here's one song off the album:
    http://soundcloud.com/constantineband/through-the-veil-of-death

At least I see them as prog. Oh, the guys do some cover gigs playing Dream Theater and Symphony X. Seen them do those cover versions a couple of times and I have to admit liking them.
    Hmm, maybe Andy should get them on broad? :D
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 am

I never understand how people can say they love Prog metal.
    Progessive metal on it's own is not actually a genre.It's more of a specific variation of existing genres.
    And example would be that you may like Progressive Power metal but hate progressive Black metal.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:44 am

This thread confuses me a bit, that's why I haven't posted on it yet. I mean Prog can mean so many things. As I've stated here before, I'm a huge 70s prog ROCK fan and have listened to a fair amount of post-70s prog rock as well - most notably Porcupine Tree (one of my VERY favorites). Also in my top ten favorite bands (of any genre) are Opeth and Pain of Salvation who are often referred to as "progressive metal." Also LOVE Spock's Beard!

Some bands are such hybrids of course so it is hard to pin them down - a few bands I really like a lot are Hydria Spacefolk from Finland http://www.hidriaspacefolk.st/index.php and Kaipa from Sweden http://kaipa.info/ One of my best friends for 30 years now (huge into prog rock) is good friends with the Norwegian prog rock band Magic Pie and even got to play with them at a gig when when he was Norway - http://www.magicpie.net/ My friend gave me two of their albums as a gift - Circus of Life and Motions of Desire - both fantastic! I have not seen any of the aforementioned bands - would like to! I did see The Flower Kings a few years back with my prog friend though - very small venue (Martyr's in Chicago for those who know it) - Roine Stolt is amazing! And of course there is the "supergroup" Transatlantic! Woo!

A great prog site is: http://www.progressiveears.com/ I don't post here, but it's a good place to keep up with bands, current tours, etc.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 am

Metalwrath wrote:I never understand how people can say they love Prog metal.
    Progessive metal on it's own is not actually a genre.It's more of a specific variation of existing genres.
    And example would be that you may like Progressive Power metal but hate progressive Black metal.

You have a point. Saying progressive metal is like saying "melodic metal" which isn't really a genre either but does characterize the band someone. Generally speaking though, I like melodic bands and I like prog bands. I'm interested in progressive black metal bands because it's interesting, but I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much. The point of this thread though is that we hardly have any (if at all) prog bands of any kinds!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:08 am

I would think prog metal would be like Arch/Matheos, BTBAM, Animals As Leaders, Dream Theater, etc. Some bands like Fates Warning are a little harder to classify depending on what album/incarnation. I can understand it being a sub-genre of other genres.

However, given the materializing theme for 2012, I doubt we'll see any of the above. I have a bit of trouble coming up with prog metal from the 80s, other than Crimson Glory and Fates Warning. At one point people were referring to Queensryche as prog.

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:39 am

I consider the word 'Progressive' to be more of an umbrella term that encompases a lot of sub-styles. Yes, power-prog and such is a large part of that, but for brevity's sake, I'm not going to say technical instrumental progressive death metal when describing Blotted Science... I'm lazy. Prog. :P I'm not going to say progressive middle-eastern folk metal when describing Orphaned land, nor will I say avant-garde progressive metalcore when describing BTBAM. Too many mouthfuls.

Prog is one of those terms that would be associated moreso with progressive rock from the 70's.. King Crimson, Yes, etc. I use it in more of a metal context.
    Generally, I like most progressive styles, ranging from prog-rock to progressive black to power-prog. In fact, as Joey brought up, 'melodic metal' is a very vague term, but I would use that to describe a lot of my musical tastes as well because they are indeed as broad as the term suggests.

Please check out my band

Devils Advocate
    Petty Officer

by Devils Advocate » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:34 am

EvilDan wrote:I would think prog metal would be like Arch/Matheos, BTBAM, Animals As Leaders, Dream Theater, etc. Some bands like Fates Warning are a little harder to classify depending on what album/incarnation. I can understand it being a sub-genre of other genres.

However, given the materializing theme for 2012, I doubt we'll see any of the above. I have a bit of trouble coming up with prog metal from the 80s, other than Crimson Glory and Fates Warning. At one point people were referring to Queensryche as prog.

There were a few prog/tech thrash bands in the late 80's that I liked - Coroner, Toxik, Believer, Sacrifice and Anacrusis.
    Anacrusis have recently rerecorded their first 2 albums.
    I'm surprised Obscura haven't mentioned, they are excellent musicians

I must be missing the point about Orphaned Land, I seen them last year and lost interest fairly rapidly
    Obscura-Toxik-SymphonyX-Sylosis-KingDiamond-CrimsonGlory-Carcass-PsychoticWaltz-Sinergy-SolitudeAeturnus-LaazRockit-TwistedSister-Communic-Nocturnus-Sacrifice-Believer-ShokParis-Vektor-Malice-Cemetary-RunningWild-Sanctuary-Unleashed
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 am

viathyn wrote:I've been pining for a prog announcement since I first registered for the first cruise.

ME TOOO. prog metal is the love of my life, but on this cruise it isn't represented much! Dan, have you heard Beardfish from Sweden? A fave of mine.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:56 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    viathyn wrote:I've been pining for a prog announcement since I first registered for the first cruise.

ME TOOO. prog metal is the love of my life, but on this cruise it isn't represented much! Dan, have you heard Beardfish from Sweden? A fave of mine.

I have not. I'll try to check them out.

Obscura is indeed awesome! :headbanger:

And how I could have forgotten to mention Devin Townsend.... :oops:

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:39 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

I have not. I'll try to check them out.

Obscura is indeed awesome! :headbanger:

And how I could have forgotten to mention Devin Townsend.... :oops:

please lemme know what you think of Beardfish. most people thing they have a yes/steely/crimson thing going on and love the musicianship, plus their singer can do anything with his voice. definitely an "old" sound but not just for the sake of it in a hipster fashion. here's a couple trax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGYGzfF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-euq4Ds ... re=related
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Wow, that's pretty good... :shock:

Prog is another style that is very hit and miss for me. But I like this. I will be checking out more :cheers:
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Ravenlord wrote:Wow, that's pretty good... :shock:

Prog is another style that is very hit and miss for me. But I like this. I will be checking out more :cheers:

hell yeah! almost everyone loves Beardfish!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:43 am

WizardBeast wrote:

Not everyone though.
    Metalwrath dissaproves of this band :P
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:47 am

Do Kamelot count as prog? I never thought so but some people think they are.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:58 am

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Please check out my band

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 am

:lol: all of your posts this morning have had a certain flair about them. You're not still drunk from last night are you?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:06 am

Not drunk! Loopy. Last night I had band practice, not beer chugging practice! (Though, at least with beer chugging practice I would have passed out!!)

I'm just very fatigued and I've also consumed enough coffee to kill a small rhinocerous.

Please check out my band

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 am

Speaking of prog, you should hear the polyrhythms in my caffeine-addled heartbeat right now.

Please check out my band

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 am

viathyn wrote:Speaking of prog, you should hear the polyrhythms in my caffeine-addled heartbeat right now.

Prog at heart?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:14 am

DUM-DUM! dumdumdumdumdumdumdumdum D-D-D-D-Dum DUMDUM DUM DUM DUM DUMDUMDUM

Please check out my band

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am

WizardBeast wrote:please lemme know what you think of Beardfish. most people thing they have a yes/steely/crimson thing going on and love the musicianship, plus their singer can do anything with his voice. definitely an "old" sound but not just for the sake of it in a hipster fashion. here's a couple trax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awGYGzfF ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-euq4Ds ... re=related

Haven't checked it out yet, but will today.

I was listening to Sylosis last night, and I forgot how "Crimson Glory" they can get. Love this band.

Devils Advocate
    Petty Officer

by Devils Advocate » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:43 am

Looks like I'll get to see Psychotic Waltz as they're playing the Rockhard Festival next year :beerhorns:
    Obscura-Toxik-SymphonyX-Sylosis-KingDiamond-CrimsonGlory-Carcass-PsychoticWaltz-Sinergy-SolitudeAeturnus-LaazRockit-TwistedSister-Communic-Nocturnus-Sacrifice-Believer-ShokParis-Vektor-Malice-Cemetary-RunningWild-Sanctuary-Unleashed
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:26 am

Glad I watched it all, as I wasn't impressed initially. However, Beardfish isn't my cup of tea. Strikes me in the same way as Frank Zappa. Strangely, if I was drunk and high enough, and happened into a place where they were playing, I have no doubt I would have a fucking blast.

Reminds me of a local band that I go see all the time called Spoonfed Tribe. Definitely not metal. And of the potentially hundreds of shows I've attended, none have been the same, but they are always super fun shows.

Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:53 am

Devils Advocate wrote:Looks like I'll get to see Psychotic Waltz as they're playing the Rockhard Festival next year :beerhorns:

Cool! They live near me and I still have not seen them do an entire show. Went to Norm's (drummer) birthday party and they jammed some tunes after Cage played. Norm is also in Cage. I am sure one day I will get to see them. :D
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 am

Metalwrath wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Not everyone though.
    Metalwrath dissaproves of this band :P

one outta two Irishmen ain't bad! ;) ;)
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:24 am

WizardBeast wrote:one outta two Irishmen ain't bad! ;) ;)

Metalrwrath disapproves of anything not from Germany and doesn't have "kicked in the nuts" vocals and lots of man nipples ;)
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:47 pm

KevinP wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:one outta two Irishmen ain't bad! ;) ;)

Metalrwrath disapproves of anything not from Germany and doesn't have "kicked in the nuts" vocals and lots of man nipples ;)

Based off that logic one would assume that Metalwrath disapproves of Eric Adams who does not sound like he was kicked in the nuts, but the nipples thing seems valid in that case, perhaps making the AND an OR would correct your flawed theory.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    tommo76
    Crewman

by tommo76 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:52 am

Finally the right topic for me. :mrgreen: I am really into the different styles of Prog. I would agree with Laura and the others that you cant really nail Prog Metal into one genre. There are so many diversities. But I really love some of the styles. I am a big fan of bands like Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Symphony X and Anathema. To count just a few. And there are so many other interesting bands out there.
    Beardfish are great for example. I have seen them live once, and I really love them. Another great band is Eternity X. Their album "The Edge" is one of the best Prog Metal cds in my opinion.

And I think so far there arent enough Prog Metal bands on board yet. Would love to see Symphony X and Psychotic Waltz on the cruise. :beerwink:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 pm

tommo76 wrote:
    And I think so far there arent ANY Prog Metal bands on broad yet

More accurate. I wouldn't consider any of the bands that have been announced prog. Also, it's on broad, not on board. ;)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks for making that correction. I was too lazy.

Kind of accidentally ran into a band called BackMask. Their album Dark Fiber is from 2007 and is pretty interesting. Some is really really good, and other parts are confusing. Seems to have some Crimson Glory and Opeth mixed in. Anyone else heard of them?

Amazon has it for $6, and it seems like the band is giving away some of the music for free.

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 am

EvilDan wrote:Thanks for making that correction. I was too lazy.

Kind of accidentally ran into a band called BackMask. Their album Dark Fiber is from 2007 and is pretty interesting. Some is really really good, and other parts are confusing. Seems to have some Crimson Glory and Opeth mixed in. Anyone else heard of them?

Amazon has it for $6, and it seems like the band is giving away some of the music for free.

I will look into them. Crimson Glory + Opeth = interesting mix.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:17 am

tommo76 wrote:Finally the right topic for me. :mrgreen: I am really into the different styles of Prog. I would agree with Laura and the others that you cant really nail Prog Metal into one genre. There are so many diversities. But I really love some of the styles. I am a big fan of bands like Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Spocks Beard, Symphony X and Anathema. To count just a few. And there are so many other interesting bands out there.
    Beardfish are great for example. I have seen them live once, and I really love them. Another great band is Eternity X. Their album "The Edge" is one of the best Prog Metal cds in my opinion.

And I think so far there arent enough Prog Metal bands on board yet. Would love to see Symphony X and Psychotic Waltz on the cruise. :beerwink:

:cheers: Thomas! By the way, I just bought the new album by Pain of Salvation this morning (Road Salt Two) off of iTunes and I'm looking forward to listening to it today! Also, can't remember if I told you, but a while back, I bought The Light by Spock's Beard upon your recommendation (oddly, the only SB album I didn't have for some reason) and I really like it!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:19 am

Stained Class wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Thanks for making that correction. I was too lazy.

I will look into them. Crimson Glory + Opeth = interesting mix.

Here's the first song I heard, Dark Fiber, which is the last one on the album, which seems to (mostly) get better as it progresses. Prisoner of Mind had some CG elements, iirc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wrBKIbU-bc

Post Reply 50 posts