Post Reply 50 posts
Prog
    rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Prog

by rwalters » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 am

Was going to say Arch Matheos but you mentioned that immediately.

I know metalheads tend not to give these guys a legit chance due to their image / flamboyance and potentially younger non-metal fanbase, but Protest the Hero are just phenomenal. Wish more metal fans would give them a shot.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:06 am

rwalters wrote:Was going to say Arch Matheos but you mentioned that immediately.

I know metalheads tend not to give these guys a legit chance due to their image / flamboyance and potentially younger non-metal fanbase, but Protest the Hero are just phenomenal. Wish more metal fans would give them a shot.

Yeah PTH are good. There's actually a handful of bands in that genre that I like, despite how "unmetal" they are. No matter what kind of music you are making, talent is talent.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:09 am

EvilDan wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:Thanks for making that correction. I was too lazy.

Kind of accidentally ran into a band called BackMask. Their album Dark Fiber is from 2007 and is pretty interesting. Some is really really good, and other parts are confusing. Seems to have some Crimson Glory and Opeth mixed in. Anyone else heard of them?

Amazon has it for $6, and it seems like the band is giving away some of the music for free.

I will look into them. Crimson Glory + Opeth = interesting mix.

Here's the first song I heard, Dark Fiber, which is the last one on the album, which seems to (mostly) get better as it progresses. Prisoner of Mind had some CG elements, iirc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wrBKIbU-bc

Bought their album on itunes and it got all messed up so I had to DL it again. I hope it works on my ipod but from what I've heard I really like it. Are they still active? That album was like 2007 or something. Wasn't at all what I was expecting when you said Crimson Glory meets Opeth, they almost have a Djent thing going one, which is cool. Definitely some Meshuggah influence there.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 am

Looks like they were inactive for a while, but are working on some new music. There's a free new instrumental song on their website. Listening now.
    http://www.backmask.com/
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

by Amyphis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:16 am

Obscura at the Rail Club in Ft.Worth November 28.
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:50 am

Amyphis wrote:Obscura at the Rail Club in Ft.Worth November 28.

Yes! Very excited for this show. Enough to even visit this venue. :deathhorns:

Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:03 pm

OK Prog Nerds. I want to go to this... :headbanger:

Eloy, Renaissance, and VDGG to headline Nearfest Apocalypse!
    http://www.nearfest.com/news.asp#81
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:05 am

I was a bit surprised when I finally got to listen to Hammer of Misfortune's new album, 17th Street. I had heard so much praise for the "new prog masterpiece", but to me it really sounded like late 70s prog rock. I may have to listen a couple more times. It's not that I don't like that genre. It just wasn't what I was expecting at all.

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 am

Stained Class wrote:
    rwalters wrote:Was going to say Arch Matheos but you mentioned that immediately.

Yeah PTH are good. There's actually a handful of bands in that genre that I like, despite how "unmetal" they are. No matter what kind of music you are making, talent is talent.

i am open minded and gave them a shot, don't care if they're "metal" or whatever, their music just didn't have any emotional impact and i dont' care for the vocals much. yes they are talented just not my thing. i'm picky with what i really love, but i'll give ANYTHING a listen!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:45 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

i am open minded and gave them a shot, don't care if they're "metal" or whatever, their music just didn't have any emotional impact and i dont' care for the vocals much. yes they are talented just not my thing. i'm picky with what i really love, but i'll give ANYTHING a listen!

Yeah, I try not to hate bands. I'll say I don't like them but actually hating a band is rare for me. Cancer Bats. That is a band that I HATE. Single worst "lead" guitarist I've ever seen.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival