Post Reply 158 posts
Ear Plugs
    Stained Class
    Commander

Ear Plugs

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I've decided that I'm going to start wearing ear plugs at shows because I don't want to have to learn sign language when I'm 40.

How many of you wear ear plugs and what is your opinion on them?

I did some googling and I came across this:
    http://www.hearstore.ca/products.php?pr ... -Earplugs#
    Has anyone tried these? Do they really make a difference at all or should I just keep using the ones I steal from work?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Ear Plugs

by last_candle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm considering getting customized earplugs - they cost quite a lot...but my hearing is worth way more
    and with such earplugs a concert is still the same fun because they really do preserve the "clarity of speech and the richness of music"
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:35 pm

Joey I'm actually thinking of getting those... because the foamy ones I use kind of muffle everything.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Stained Class wrote:I've decided that I'm going to start wearing ear plugs at shows because I don't want to have to learn sign language when I'm 40.

Has anyone tried these? Do they really make a difference at all or should I just keep using the ones I steal from work?

Responsibility FTW!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 pm

Cool, I'll try and find out if they are available in the city anywhere so I don't have to order them. 5 shows in 5 days starting saturday, so they would be nice to have.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 pm

I wear earplugs to every show I go to, I also play in a band and use them everytime we practice and play live, in my opinion it's easier to hear what is going on when I have my earplugs in, the sound is clearer and not as distorted and smashed together. I also can't stand the sound of ringing in my ears.

I had custom made ones that I got at a local ear nose and throat doctor's office. They take a mold of your ear and they have filters that you can pop in and out, I have two filters, one set has a 10 db cut the other has a 25db cut.
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:52 pm

Stained Class wrote:Cool, I'll try and find out if they are available in the city anywhere so I don't have to order them. 5 shows in 5 days starting saturday, so they would be nice to have.

Yeah, if you could let us know how these turn out that would be great. I use the standard industrial work ear plugs and although they're "ok" they can muffle somewhat like Jake mentioned. Those ones you showed below look quite fancy.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Sinister Realm wrote:I wear earplugs to every show I go to, I also play in a band and use them everytime we practice and play live, in my opinion it's easier to hear what is going on when I have my earplugs in, the sound is clearer and not as distorted and smashed together. I also can't stand the sound of ringing in my ears.

I had custom made ones that I got at a local ear nose and throat doctor's office. They take a mold of your ear and they have filters that you can pop in and out, I have two filters, one set has a 10 db cut the other has a 25db cut.

How expensive were the custom ear plugs? Those sound awesome, having multiple filters that can pop in and out. Some shows aren't as loud/noisy as others.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:20 pm

I wear customized Earplugs at work - and use them also for concerts. Forgot them at the Symphony X Concert few days ago - and had a peeping ear for 3 Days....
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived
    2023 - NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:33 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    Sinister Realm wrote:I wear earplugs to every show I go to, I also play in a band and use them everytime we practice and play live, in my opinion it's easier to hear what is going on when I have my earplugs in, the sound is clearer and not as distorted and smashed together. I also can't stand the sound of ringing in my ears.

How expensive were the custom ear plugs? Those sound awesome, having multiple filters that can pop in and out. Some shows aren't as loud/noisy as others.

10db is already a lot - at least for someone in the audience
    (if you're on stage every other night, it's another story)
    I'd most likely go for 6db membranes - and they'd cost me around $250 - but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be that expensive anywhere else in the world...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I have never even used earplugs once, not even for Manowar. And I pretty much live with CD player headphones on.

*shrugs*
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:25 pm

I paid somewhere in the $125 range for mine but it was about 10 years ago so maybe that has gone up.

If your in a concert setting inside a club then 10db is not enough I go with the 25. If I'm at an outdoor concert, like for instance when I was on the upper deck at 70,000 I was using the 10db filters, although I wasn't standing right in front of the speakers. There's been times though when I've felt like I needed more, like if I'm in a club standing close to the speakers.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:26 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:I have never even used earplugs once, not even for Manowar. And I pretty much live with CD player headphones on.

*shrugs*

Might as well start learning sign language now. :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Sinister Realm wrote:I paid somewhere in the $125 range for mine but it was about 10 years ago so maybe that has gone up.

If your in a concert setting inside a club then 10db is not enough I go with the 25. If I'm at an outdoor concert, like for instance when I was on the upper deck at 70,000 I was using the 10db filters, although I wasn't standing right in front of the speakers. There's been times though when I've felt like I needed more, like if I'm in a club standing close to the speakers.

Awesome, thanks. I'll probly try out the 15 dollar ones before I try some customs, it might be worth looking into though.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Stained Class wrote:I've decided that I'm going to start wearing ear plugs at shows because I don't want to have to learn sign language when I'm 40.

Thank you. I really hope the footage where I stared into the HD Video Camera and said "WEAR EARPLUGS" in my video interview for the 70K documentary gets aired. I touched on my permanent hearing loss for a spell. It's not a joke. I wish I could have my hearing back. It really sucks and its a daily struggle. I wear earplugs at Chicago/Earth Wind and Fire now. I am saving what i can still hear. And I suggest everyone wear earplugs.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:54 pm

I always wear ear plugs at shows. I'd rather look like a doofus with my bright colored ear plugs than not be able to go to shows in 15 years.

Nothing fancy for me. Just the cheap ass jars you can get at many places work fine for me. Doesn't really muffle the sound unless you're talking to someone. Haven't had them ruin my concert experience.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:56 pm

My ears ring fgor a couple of days after a show if I dont wear them. I could care less how it looks, dont want to damage my hearing so I wear them.
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Hearling loss is not all about loud noises or music.

Diet

What you eat can actually have an affect on your ears, and a good diet can help stave off hearing loss.

'Antioxidants can be really good for hearing because they improve the blood supply to the inner ear, slowing down the deterioration of the hair cells,' says Robert Beiny.

Try to include avocados, tomatoes, oily fish and red wine in your diet, which are rich in antioxidants.
    Smoking

On the other hand, smoking is bad for the blood supply to the inner ear, constricting the blood vessels in the area.

Sinus infections can do more damage from my experience.

Misc nerd data
    http://www.workplaceintegra.com/hearing ... -loss.html

Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:09 pm

The only time I've worn earplugs is when I've gone to shows with Mooyagi and he's given me a pair of the bright orange ones (that I am forever grateful for). I may look into getting a pair for the cruise (the Spectrum set with Witchburner standing in front of the speaker damn near ruined me for the rest of the cruise) but I don't typically wear 'em.

I actually like the way it makes the mix sound, not sure why I'm too stubborn to wear 'em more.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:15 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:Hearling loss is not all about loud noises or music.

Diet

What you eat can actually have an affect on your ears, and a good diet can help stave off hearing loss.

'Antioxidants can be really good for hearing because they improve the blood supply to the inner ear, slowing down the deterioration of the hair cells,' says Robert Beiny.

Try to include avocados, tomatoes, oily fish and red wine in your diet, which are rich in antioxidants.
    Smoking

On the other hand, smoking is bad for the blood supply to the inner ear, constricting the blood vessels in the area.

Sinus infections can do more damage from my experience.

Misc nerd data
    http://www.workplaceintegra.com/hearing ... -loss.html

The condition of the cardiovascular system can greatly affect hearing loss and can contribute to predisposing the ear synergistically to noise exposure. Conditions as hypertension, mild-to-moderately high cholesterol levels and high triglyceride levels are conditions that can to some extent be affected by diet. Foods high in antioxidants and low in saturated fats are known to be significantly friendly to the cardiovascular system. In addition, significant amounts of antioxidants as provided in the food supplement N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is proving to be important in the prevention/treatment of noise induced hearing loss.

Sounds like it's not a good substitution for wearing ear buds. You do what you gotta do though.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:17 pm

I have ringing in my ears since my 20's and if I don't wear anything at shows,the ringing is painful and uncomfortable for many days. Wearing plugs stops about 90% of the issues I have.

I tried the ones you had Joey, but they didn't filter out enough as the dB reduction was only like 12.

I went with this last time: http://www.earplugstore.com/silnatrubear.html since they fit great, reusable and blocked the most.

I honestly didn't notice the difference even those the Etymotic claim they balance the frequencies or some other mumbo jumbo. The silent ear are not designed for concerts in mind, but they block the most and that it what I need. I hear everything fine, assuming the sound guy has a clue mxing the band.

I might try one that are designed to equal out the frequencies, but they would have to offer a minimum of 20dB reduction for me to consider it.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:20 pm

SlaytanicE21 wrote:Fuck ear plugs. If I start to go deaf then I'll just have to TURN IT UP!!!! :shred:

Sounds like a pig headed Anselmo :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Not relevent, but I had to.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Stained Class wrote:Image

Not relevent, but I had to.

dude i am buying you a beer for that on broad

I spit iced tea everywhere just now

buwwajhahahahaha
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 pm

No time to read the whole thread now and the topic annoys me when I hear of ppl not using them so I'll just post this then fuck off

Joey, here's the first thread where this was covered: http://www.70000tons.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74&p=1497&hilit=hearing#p1497 and here's the kind I use and love: http://www.earplugstore.com/mackshearplugs.html. I buy the 15 pair for $100 or whatever it is and wash them after each use to get several uses out of each pair. The pricier custom type are likely better but I'm happy with these for the past 4 years or so. Can hear fine at gigs and no further damage since I began using them.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:00 pm

I always wear ear plugs. Recently at work I ordered some different ones, that look like the ones you first posted, Joey. I call them "Penetrators" because they go in your ear really deep and hurt like a mother the first time you put them in. Haha all my male coworkers used them once and then tossed them, since they "hurt too much". I've gotten used to them and only wear those, since they work a lot better than the foam ones.
    Last edited by KDibildeaux on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Good call on going with plugs. I wear them selectively depending how a venue is mixed, how loud they are presenting the band, and the band (yes, I'll lose my hearing to bands I love). I already have tinnitus in my left ear from jamming and many band practices. I use to stand right next to the crash of the drummer as well as play the drums w/o plugs. Tinnitus can be really annoying if you focus on it and luckily it isn't too bad for me as I noticed it and took action. My hearing is still normal, just now have a 24/7 ring.

As for plugs, I just go with the industrial ones. The custom ones are cool but are very hit and miss with fitting. If you play in a band or are always at show it is worth the money to look into the custom ones. Goodluck!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:22 pm

KDibildox wrote:I call them "Penetrators"

must...resist...making...unfunny...joke... :ugeek:

Rob, I'll look into those ones you posted.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:27 pm

Stained Class wrote:

haha well that name is pretty straight forward ;)
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:18 pm

I've got custom-made earplugs. Mine were done at Costco and cost me around $160, and I think they are -20db. I love 'em, I wear them at rehearsals, onstage and at regular shows I attend. One of the best investments I ever made!
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:16 am

KDibildox wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

haha well that name is pretty straight forward ;)

Now we know why the spambot was trying to creep her hard!!

Spambot's are all knowing!

• AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:00 am

gnoff wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I call them "Penetrators" because they go in your rear really deep and hurt like a mother the first time you put them in. Haha all my male coworkers used them once and then tossed them, since they "hurt too much".

Oh my, only one small letter really changed that.
    Your male coworkers all tried them once though?

Gnoff! I applaud you! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:24 am

I never got used to wearing ear plugs :oops: It feels too weird for me.
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 am

MadameLePink wrote:I never got used to wearing ear plugs :oops: It feels too weird for me.

:oops: I've never worn them either except for trying them a few times. As far as I know, I don't have any hearing loss, although I don't remember ever having my ears checked. Outside of going to clubs and/or gigs at most 3 or so times a month, otherwise my life is fairly quiet (ha - literally and figuratively). I don't play loud music at home on the stereo or iPhone headphones. And then there were stretches of time I didn't go out much at all for this or that reason. So, perhaps my relatively limited exposure to REALLY loud music has kept my hearing intact?

And I gotta say, a part of what I really like about going to shows, is the LOUDNESS. I especially always loved very loud rat-a-tat kind of sounds - most notably in electronic/industrial music. They didn't play this song at Hole in the Sky, but I love this song Pulp by Godflesh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEmNyazJFo Another great one that was always played really loud in clubs was Blue Monday by New Order. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyoDbX1EkPQ The basement club at Metro called Smart Bar totally vibrated with sound. Come to think of it - if I had been born later, I would have been totally into the "Rave" scene that came later.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:44 am

I've never really worn them. However, I keep taking earplugs to shows, just in case. I'll bring some on the cruise, but doubt I'll use them.

I got some ear damage in my left ear being on the first row right in front of the speakers for Queensryche/Metallica long, long ago. (When puppies were the oldest animals.) As a result, I get a lot of ear infections, but only in my left ear. If I drink any Fosters, I'll get an ear infection. It's weird.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:46 am

Yeah i still haven't used earpulgs once and i've seen Manowar 9 times now :twisted:
    And i honestly can't see myself ever using them to be honest.
    I remember at a festival in 05 or 06 and i saw my friend take out a pair of ear plugs.
    I asked him what the fuck they were at first.And he explained.And i thought hmm really people actually wear those things at metal concerts? :lol:
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:47 am

I'm 49 and have never worn earplugs. I had my hearing tested a couple years ago because I was a bit concerned with going to so many shows over the years, not to mention playing myself, and they said it was perfect.

The doctor told me it was lack of attention, not my hearing! :lol:

If I do find where I'm standing at a show loud, I normally move where it sounds better. The loudest show I was ever at had to be Morbid Angel and Motorhead at old Catwalk here in Seattle in 2002. I'm sure that's no surprise to anyone!
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:46 am

Wow - this is an interesting thread! Good to hear you have no hearing loss Carrie! I guess everyone's ears are different?

Like what you said about "lack of attention" - I can totally relate to that. :lol: We do a lot of What? and Say Whaaaat? in my family and it's not because we can't hear each other! :lol:

Loudest show I've been to in recent memory was Rihanna at the United Center - a huge basketball stadium here. I soon adjusted to it though - had a bit of ringing in the ears afterwards but nothing bad or uncomfortable.

Kevin - you said you've had ringing in your ears since your 20s? Why?
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 am

I rarely wear ear plugs at local shows, they just honestly don't get that loud. The last time I went to a local show and wished I had earplugs was the first time I saw Ensiferum about 3 years ago; EVERYONE walked out of that venue with a horrible headache and the sensation of being in a bubble. I did bring those cheap foam plugs on the boat last year (Mooyagi Specials :D ) and I was glad I had them for certain sets, particularly those in the smaller venues, like Sabaton and The Abscence. I will definitely be bringing them again for Therion; I couldn't believe how loud they were at ProgPower :shock:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:38 am

Daenerys wrote:I will definitely be bringing them again for Therion; I couldn't believe how loud they were at ProgPower :shock:

Well Snowy is used to talking and singing over a drum kit and now the band needs to be louder than him! =-P

Post Reply 158 posts