Post Reply 311 posts
Metalcamp 2012
    Stained Class
    Commander

Metalcamp 2012

by Stained Class » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Anyone plan on going? I'm considering either going to this one or Sweden Rock Fest.

Sabaton
    Paradise Lost
    Kataklysm
    Korpiklaani
    Heathen

Good start to the lineup. Heathen's the only one really drawing me, seen the other ones except Paradise Lost (who I don't really care for). I've heard the location for this festival is one of the greatest on the planet.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    KevinP
    Commander

Re: Metalcamp 2012

by KevinP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:23 pm

The location I think is the last year they are doing it there. 2013 they are moving. Not impressed by the small band list so far, but I'm not going to Europe anyways, so doesn't affect me either way :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:31 pm

Nope, Metalcamp isn't moving anywhere. At least that's what the organizers told me this year. There was plans of some buildings on the festival grounds (or actually, on the fields that serve as camping grounds for the festival), but those are postponed to indefinite future. So Metalcamp stays in Tolmin.

I'm seriously thinking of NOT going in 2012. Brutal Assault in Czech is at the same time and it's kinda more my thing. Besides, quite a few of my friends are thinking of going to BA instead of Metalcamp as well. Other than BA, I'm seriously thinking of going to Metalfest Croatia in June. The festival site is right on a beach of Adriatic Sea, and by the looks of it, it just might top Metalcamp's surroundings.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 am

I'm definitely going :) It's such a great location and a great festival that I'd probably go even if the line up wasn't my cup of tea. But satisfied with the bands they've announced so far! And glad to hear that they are not moving it. It wouldn't be the same in another place!

We are planning to go to Metalfest as well (loving the lineup so far: Ensiferum, Powerwolf, Hypocrisy, Legion of the Damned, Kreator), but to the Dessau one in stead of Croatia, because of the dates (and the length of the trip), but the place in Croatia looks really nice.
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:07 am

Laura, if you're going to Metalcamp, I suggest you contact Pension Rutar sometime in December of January and secure a reservation there. It's not only cheaper but much nicer than Hotel Krn. And, they have A/C in all rooms.

http://www.pension-rutar.si/eng/

Seems they offer half and full broad too, and for a pretty cheap price. :shock: Might not be available on the Metalcamp week though.
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks for the link :) I think we'll book very soon. Hotel Krn was a bit of a let down with their lack of cleaning, no a/c etc... So pension Rutar will be!

P.S. Btw I hope you'll change your mind and go again!
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:48 am

Meredith and I are planning on going to an open air festival in Europe next year. Either at the beginning or end of a week or so trip through Europe. Metalcamp is definitely on the radar.
    We're not opposed to camping at the festival grounds, but are not sure how to work that since we don't want to bring our fancy tent with us and either 1) have it get ruined at the festival or 2) have to carry it with us for the entire trip.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:54 am

Not a very interesting start of announcments for Metalcamp.
    I'll keep an eye on it though.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:13 am

Memnoch wrote: Other than BA, I'm seriously thinking of going to Metalfest Croatia in June. The festival site is right on a beach of Adriatic Sea, and by the looks of it, it just might top Metalcamp's surroundings.

Keep us posted on any info about Metalfest! I can't find a site in English yet :oops: Do you know if the prices listed on their FB page are per day or for the whole festival? Really want to try to hit a Euro festival this coming year, and we'd prefer to go to a "smaller" one (i.e., not Wacken) so these two are on our radar :beerwink:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am

Bentz! wrote:Meredith and I are planning on going to an open air festival in Europe next year. Either at the beginning or end of a week or so trip through Europe. Metalcamp is definitely on the radar.
    We're not opposed to camping at the festival grounds, but are not sure how to work that since we don't want to bring our fancy tent with us and either 1) have it get ruined at the festival or 2) have to carry it with us for the entire trip.

You could buy one when you get to Slovenia. Prices are cheap down there and if you stop in Ljubljana before going to Tolmin you shouldn't have problems with that. We met some french people who had lost their luggage and went to a sport shop close to the station to get another tent :)

Beer and bananas!
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:15 am

Was thinking about Metalfest in Croatia myself.The lineups not bad and never been to Croatia.
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:17 am

Daenerys wrote:
    Memnoch wrote: Other than BA, I'm seriously thinking of going to Metalfest Croatia in June. The festival site is right on a beach of Adriatic Sea, and by the looks of it, it just might top Metalcamp's surroundings.

Keep us posted on any info about Metalfest! I can't find a site in English yet :oops: Do you know if the prices listed on their FB page are per day or for the whole festival? Really want to try to hit a Euro festival this coming year, and we'd prefer to go to a "smaller" one (i.e., not Wacken) so these two are on our radar :beerwink:

All the individual pages have a small flag for the english language ;)

This is for example the link to the english version of the croatian one:

http://www.hr.metalfest.eu/index2.php?lang=en

Beer and bananas!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks Laura! I went to a couple of links for English sites but they all just said coming soon haha. One in particular had some Engrish and said "Metalfest Open Airs" which made me :lol: If we do decide to go I'd love all and any advice from anyone who's been; the last time I was over there was 2001 and I didn't really pay much attention to any of the planning that was involved :?
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:31 am

I'd love to make it to Metalcamp one year. All Europe plans are on hold until I figure out what I'm doing with my life first though. :?
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:53 am

mooyagi wrote:I'd love to make it to Metalcamp one year. All Europe plans are on hold until I figure out what I'm doing with my life first though. :?

I'm still trying to figure that one out.Metal and beer should be priority.Thinking comes after ;)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:56 am

Metalwrath wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I'd love to make it to Metalcamp one year. All Europe plans are on hold until I figure out what I'm doing with my life first though. :?

I'm still trying to figure that one out.Metal and beer should be priority.Thinking comes after ;)

I should frame that quote and put it up on my wall :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:13 am

1st post cruise post for me! Woo!

Anyway, new developments in my vacation scheduling for this year are looking like it will be possible for Mere and I to go to a European festival this summer.
    Metalcamp ranks high on our list because we love both metal and camping. Lineup for this year ain't too bad either.

Nothing definite for us yet, but I'm bumping this thread to see if any of our 70k friends are looking at going.
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 am

I went in 2009 and 2010.
    2009 was a complete hell. 2010 was nice.
    But since it's in the same week as Party San this year... I'm going to Party San for sure!!!
    www.metal-exposure.com
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:26 am

Ingrid wrote:I went in 2009 and 2010.
    But since it's in the same week as Party San this year... I'm going to Party San for sure!!!

I actually prefer the Party San lineup to Metalcamp's. Metalcamp would mostly be for the experience / scenery.
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:29 am

Looks like I'll meet quite a few of you there, cool :D

I haven't been there yet because it was always in the same weekend as the Zwarte Cross in the Netherlands, but fortunately that is not the case this time. So now we'll travel straight from Wacken to Metalcamp, a nice little (exhausting) holiday I think :mrgreen:
    The line-up is also pretty good this year, with a high of 70K 2011 déjà vu: Testament, Sodom, Sabaton, Amon Amarth, Heathen, Paradise Lost, Edguy, Kataklysm, Madball... :headbanger:

Hmmm I was also thinking about going to Brutal Assault for the first time this year, but apparently that's now in the same weekend.
    Last edited by Tuup on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:30 am

Zeena/Wildchild is going and we are going too, if we can find a place where to stay. All the places we've contacted are booked and the only one left to try is the hotel we stayed at last year and we really didn't want to stay there again :( If they do not have any rooms available, I don't know what we'll do. Camping is not an option for us.

Hope to see you there, Bentz, never saw you on the boat :)

Beer and bananas!
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:42 am

Weren't you there when we were watching Venom on the pool deck? I thought you were... I'm quite sure Bentz was there, and Frederik as well. And I must have been there myself :?
    But that was my most wasted moment of the whole cruise, so I may have been hallucinating as well. :party:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:43 am

I went to Metalcamp in 2009, 2010 and 2011. So now it's time for something else and that is Brutal Assault in Czech.
    Laura, did you already get an answer from Pension Rutar? I think they started taking bookings around this time of the year in the previous years.
    Wishlist:
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 am

Bentz! wrote:
    Ingrid wrote:I went in 2009 and 2010.

I actually prefer the Party San lineup to Metalcamp's. Metalcamp would mostly be for the experience / scenery.

Line up Party San >>>>>>> Line up Metalcamp

And the atmosphere at both festivals can't be compared. Metalcamp is just sooo chill (if you have nice weather, and not only rain for 5 days.... :roll: )
    But at Party San I usually have sooooo much fun, and there're usually a LOT of people that I know and don't see that often, HAMMER! :P
    www.metal-exposure.com
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 am

Tuup wrote:Weren't you there when we were watching Venom on the pool deck? I thought you were... I'm quite sure Bentz was there, and Frederik as well. And I must have been there myself :?
    But that was my most wasted moment of the whole cruise, so I may have been hallucinating as well. :party:

Hmm... I think that we saw like 40 minutes of the Venom show on the pool deck, but from the side with the Finns (probably I got there after they started because I toop a nap). But I might be wrong :oops: In the end it got a bit confusing. But you were everywhere, that I remember!

Beer and bananas!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 am

Memnoch wrote:I went to Metalcamp in 2009, 2010 and 2011. So now it's time for something else and that is Brutal Assault in Czech.
    Laura, did you already get an answer from Pension Rutar? I think they started taking bookings around this time of the year in the previous years.

We were too slow, it's already fully booked :cry: I've also tried all the apartments within walking distance with no luck. And the hostel where we thought that we had a room, but then they got back to us saying that a mistake had happened :( But we could get a double bed in a dormitory :shock: :?

Beer and bananas!
    Uncle Soda
    Petty Officer

by Uncle Soda » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:02 am

MadameLePink wrote:
    Tuup wrote:Weren't you there when we were watching Venom on the pool deck? I thought you were... I'm quite sure Bentz was there, and Frederik as well. And I must have been there myself :?

Hmm... I think that we saw like 40 minutes of the Venom show on the pool deck, but from the side with the Finns (probably I got there after they started because I toop a nap). But I might be wrong :oops: In the end it got a bit confusing. But you were everywhere, that I remember!

We were hanging out during Venom, Tuup, and later in the concert I went of the platform and hooked up with Laura after her power nap. I had opted for a power strawberry daiquri and was in much better shape :D :bmhorns:
    Drinks at the Twilight Tavern. Pays with Tokens of Time.

wishlist: Ensiferum, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Heidevolk, Chthonic, Entombed, Finntroll, Heavy Metal Perse, Powerwolf, Primordial, Grand Magus, Monster Magnet
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:03 am

Well that kind of fits into my theory. That means you must have met Bentz and Laura didn't...
    Don't disprove my theory now, I don't think my memories of that night will still get much brighter :P

Anyway.... Metalcamp! :headbanger:
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:18 am

Troy, Chad and I are doing Metalcamp this year.
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:56 am

Hmm I see Wacken ends the 4th and Metalcamp starts the 5th. That's going to be a lot of speeding on those 1300 km! :shock:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:18 am

Inquisitor wrote:Troy, Chad and I are doing Metalcamp this year.

Are you guys doing the full week or three day ticket?
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:51 am

Tuup wrote:Hmm I see Wacken ends the 4th and Metalcamp starts the 5th. That's going to be a lot of speeding on those 1300 km! :shock:

We drove from Tallinn to Tolmin (2500 km, via Germany) in 36 hours and that included some sightseeing in Torun, Poland and a few hours of sleep in Southern Germany. There were four of us driving, but I did most of the driving.
    I drove from Conil de la Frontera in Southern Spain to Prague (2900 km) in 32 hours in 2011. Slept for 4 hours somewhere near the German border in France. I actually drove for 1100 km without stopping (would've driven even longer, but had to fill up the gas tank before entering France as diesel is much cheaper in Spain). :shock:

So a 1300 km drive is totally doable in 24 hours. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:12 am

Impressive, but knowing that Wacken ends at 4 AM and Metalcamp starts the same day, there's no 24 hours in between ;)
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 am

Well, Metalcamp's first day is actually just a couple of smaller bands on the second stage and the party at the beach bar. So you wouldn't miss any big names, only an awesome starting party. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am

Oooh that beach bar!!
    It's deadly!!! :heavydrink:
    www.metal-exposure.com
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:04 am

Memnoch wrote:Well, Metalcamp's first day is actually just a couple of smaller bands on the second stage and the party at the beach bar. So you wouldn't miss any big names, only an awesome starting party. :beerwink:

They've changed the schedule for this year, so the real festival starts already Monday instead of Tuesday, so it's not looking so good for the people coming directly from Wacken!

Beer and bananas!
    Tuup
    Midshipman

by Tuup » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:06 am

Memnoch wrote:Well, Metalcamp's first day is actually just a couple of smaller bands on the second stage and the party at the beach bar. So you wouldn't miss any big names, only an awesome starting party. :beerwink:

That's what I thought. So that means leaving Wacken at 4 AM, drive until we (/ I) can't do another meter, sleep for half an hour, drive the last bit and then start partying with a hugo sleep defecit. Sounds like a plan :P
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:12 pm

Tuup wrote:

That's what I thought. So that means leaving Wacken at 4 AM, drive until we (/ I) can't do another meter, sleep for half an hour, drive the last bit and then start partying with a hugo sleep defecit. Sounds like a plan :P

See my post below. Sorry to ruin your plan though!

Beer and bananas!
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Bentz! wrote:

Full week, so far the plan is flying into Vienna on the 2nd or 3rd. Sightsee a bit, then take the bus to the festival. and fly back the 12th or 13th
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Inquisitor wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:

Full week, so far the plan is flying into Vienna on the 2nd or 3rd. Sightsee a bit, then take the bus to the festival. and fly back the 12th or 13th

We will be taking the bus from Vienna too :cheers:

Beer and bananas!
Post Reply 311 posts