Textures
    Skeletonwitch
    Suidakra
    Profane Omen
    Horna
    Victims
    UNKIND
    AFGRUND

That's not bad. Probably the most appetizing for me so far. 9 bands I would watch, 6 of which I haven't seen and then 5 I'm not familiar with. What are those last 4 bands like? I don't know those. Insomnium makes my panties wet.

Has anyone been to Tuska (Jake I know you have) and have an words on how it compares to other festivals, not so much in the lineups but in the overall experience. I'm working on a spreadsheet of festivals I amy go to and it looks like I could do Tuska and Sonisphere. Metalfest Croatia, and Sweden Rock Fest could happen too. Other option is Headbangers Open Air, Wacken, Metalcamp. I want to make good use of my time in Europe if I go next summer. Anyone wanna go with me? :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    viathyn
    Commander

Re: Tuska 2012

by viathyn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:42 pm

Tuska is fun. The after-shows at the nightclubs are really awesome. The old festival grounds were in a great location... everyone stays in cheap hotels with saunas that are only 5 minutes walk away. I haven't been to the new grounds though!

Swallow the Sun
    Insomnium
    ANIMALS AS LEADERS
    Textures
    Skeletonwitch
    Suidakra

= Yum!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:45 pm

Tuska rocks :mrgreen: So happy about the Overkill and Insomnium announcement! We have booked everything already. Gnoff has booked a room too. And anyone interested should do the same as there will be the athletics championships at the same time, so hotel prices are very high and all the cheap ones are gone. The same with the flights.

Me, Uncle Soda, Gnoff and Wildchild were there last summer and it was awesome. The concerts start and end early (10-11 pm), but there are lots of afterparties and more concerts in all the metal bars around town (and they are many!). The festival area is also located by the metro station so it only takes 5-10 minutes to get to the center from there.

The downsides: you have to drink alcohol in the bar area and cannot bring your drink with you when you watch a concert, but this is the same everywhere in the North (Denmark excluded). Beer prices are high compared to Germany, Slovenia etc... I think it was 5 euro for a half liter can + 1 euro for the can.

The festival does not have a camping ground as it 's situated in the city so you have to find some other kind of accomodation. It's not the cheapest festival all in all, but there's a great atmosphere and Finns are extremely friendly. Everything ran smoothily when we were there and bands were always on time. I can't say much about the food, as I only had the sandwiches (which were good), otherwise we went to town to eat as it was so close.

That's what I could think of, if there's anything else you want to know, ask :beerwink:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm

We have our eye on both Metalfest and Tuska; Metalcamp (and any other August festival) is unfortunately out of the question as my best friend is getting married in August, and of COURSE she has to have the ceremony in Maine, of all places, even though her family is all here in FL :roll: Metalfest it will most likely be, although Tuska would be interesting because we exchanged info with some Finnish people at Progpower who were really cool. When we decide we'll definitely have to arrange meet-ups :bangers:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Nothing to get me all wet and giggly, but there's a strong possibility that I would go as it is so conveniently close to where I live (get to sleep in my own bed). We'll see.

On the other hand, it's better than the initial list for Brutal Assault. Sure they have Cattle Decapitation and Immortal - but then there's Arkona. :cry:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:58 pm

Based on the timing of this festival (close to the two weeks I get off most every year), I'd most likely go to this one, then spend the rest of the week or more there seeing more of Europe. Lineup is pretty good so far.
    How soon would I need to get hotel accommodations set?
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Bentz! wrote:Based on the timing of this festival (close to the two weeks I get off most every year), I'd most likely go to this one, then spend the rest of the week or more there seeing more of Europe. Lineup is pretty good so far.
    How soon would I need to get hotel accommodations set?

I'd recommend to book now! Last year we booked in march and got an awesome deal, this year I wouldn't wait, especially if you can book something that you don't need to pay for right now and can be cancelled without fees (just to have something, you can get lucky later if other people cancel).
    As it is now you can't get much for under 150-200 euro if you want private bathroom and a central location. Gnoff got the last cheap apartment this morning. Otherwise you'll have to stay outside town. I hate when there are other big events at the same time as a festival, it makes booking decent places almost impossible :cry:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:34 pm

I'd say that any hotel in the Helsinki region (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa) should do. The public transport works well even in the nighttime (ok, there are LOTS of drunken Finns on the night buses).
    But because next summer Helsinki has so many different international events, you should try and book early. Funnily most Finnish hotels don't give deals on Expedia or similar, so I'd check the hotel chains' websites for prices and availability.

Here's some sites:
    http://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/
    http://www.cumulus.fi/cumulus!/en_GB/
    http://www.scandichotels.com/en/
    http://www.omenahotels.com/en/
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 am

Memnoch wrote:I'd say that any hotel in the Helsinki region (Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa) should do. The public transport works well even in the nighttime (ok, there are LOTS of drunken Finns on the night buses).
    But because next summer Helsinki has so many different international events, you should try and book early. Funnily most Finnish hotels don't give deals on Expedia or similar, so I'd check the hotel chains' websites for prices and availability.

Here's some sites:
    http://www.sokoshotels.fi/en/
    http://www.cumulus.fi/cumulus!/en_GB/
    http://www.scandichotels.com/en/
    http://www.omenahotels.com/en/

Just to save people some time... I've already checked all those sites so if you want something cheap you can skip the first three links. Most of those hotels are fully booked and those that are not have prices between 180 and 320 euro.
    Omena still has rooms in the center and they are the cheapest you can get (all under 100 euro per night), but payment is required at booking and they do not have any cancellation policy on their website, so I wouldn't book there unless you are going for sure.

Beer and bananas!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:44 am

Isn't there a law in the Nordic countries that you get a full refund when cancelling at least two days prior to the reserved dates?

I'll look into the cheaper choices in Helsinki. I think the student housing company HOAS has a summer hotel (next to the place where Heavy Corner used to be); there are some small independent hotels as well.

EDIT:
    Here's the official website for visitors in Helsinki:
    http://www.visithelsinki.fi/In_English/Visitor/Helsinki/Accommodation.iw3
    There's a list of hotels and hostels.
    Last edited by Memnoch on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:50 am

Memnoch wrote:Isn't there a law in the Nordic countries that you get a full refund when cancelling at least two days prior to the reserved dates?

I'll look into the cheaper choices in Helsinki. I think the student housing company HOAS has a summer hotel (next to the place where Heavy Corner used to be); there are some small independent hotels as well.

I have no idea actually. I just don't like places that don't tell you about it ;)

I think the place you are talking about is the Academica hostel. We stayed there for MTR and it was ok. They are only open from june to august and at the moment it's not possible to book (probably it's too early). They do not have double beds in the rooms, but there is a kicthen in every room and this summer the price was 72 euro per night :)

Beer and bananas!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:40 am

Ok, I'll stop helping with the accommodations for Tuska. Apparently you guys know a hell of a lot more about those than I do. Figures, I've never stayed in a hotel in Helsinki. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 am

gnoff wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:Ok, I'll stop helping with the accommodations for Tuska. Apparently you guys know a hell of a lot more about those than I do. Figures, I've never stayed in a hotel in Helsinki. :lol:

I've done it once so far :lol:

I'm becoming a veteran, I guess :lol:

Beer and bananas!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:11 am

gnoff wrote:Festival tickets booked, come on June!

You're a step ahead of us :mrgreen: But I hope we can get VIP tickets like last time, so I will wait (don't want to pay for them if we can get them for free!).

Beer and bananas!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 am

Yeah, not looking too god. There's Behemoth, but I'll see them at Metalfest.
    If the lineup isn't improving a lot, I'm not going to buy a ticket for Tuska.
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Quite happy for the addition of Metsatöll and Apocalyptica (but only if they play the good stuff) :beerwink:

Beer and bananas!
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 pm

MadameLePink wrote:and Apocalyptica (but only if they play the good stuff) :beerwink:

Unlikely because they would have to write it first :lol: I kid... :P

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • pinheadmaster
    Oiler

by pinheadmaster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:50 am

I think i will be there at last! many years trying to go so, :shred: :shred: :shred:
  • pinheadmaster
    Oiler

by pinheadmaster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:43 am

Also, i think swedenrock, i was there 2 years ago and it was fantastic. In underground mode i have in mind Muskelrock, the line up is great!! :shred: :viking:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:59 am

Hopefully they'll announce some killer bands. The lineup so far is quite poor, and I'm not going to waste my money on it.
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:43 am

Memnoch wrote:Hopefully they'll announce some killer bands. The lineup so far is quite poor, and I'm not going to waste my money on it.

Overkill and Insomnium do it for me. But I would go even if there were none of my favourite bands, just because it's in Helsinki, I guess :mrgreen:
    But looking forward to the announcement! Give me Ensiferum!!

Beer and bananas!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am

gnoff wrote:I'm going since I had such a great time last year, sort of like the cruise this year when I went for the ppl and the good time :bangers:

Perhaps I can get me a Hypocrisy and Pain announcement for Tuska?

I'd be all :wank: :party:

Tuska means Pain so... they should be the house band ;)

Beer and bananas!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 am

If Hypocrisy is announced, I just might buy me a ticket. Then again, Pain would cause me to sell it. :lol:
    Wishlist:
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:48 am

http://www.tuska-festival.fi/en/#section1 now starts to look good and heavy !!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:31 am

markku1 wrote:http://www.tuska-festival.fi/en/#section1 now starts to look good and heavy !!

I'm not overly impressed, but there are 7 bands that I want to see and a few more that I will probably check out. There will be plenty of time to drink and socialize :bangers:

Beer and bananas!
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:07 am

wellcome to finland laura and fredrik !!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:52 am

markku1 wrote:wellcome to finland laura and fredrik !!

Thanks :) Hopefully we'll have more chances to talk than we had on the boat :cheers:

Beer and bananas!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 am

Skeletonwitch is a TON of fucking fun live, i highly recommend you all add them to your list. They are awesome blackened thrash from Ohio....jag kommer från Ohio också.

If you like the energy of Overkill with a more blackened metal vibe i think you will love Skeletonwitch. Just don't want you to miss out if they were not on your radar....Laura, Fredrik, gnoff, Markku, etc!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcUrj-A ... re=related

much, MUCH more fun to hear live than on their recordings for sure, at least check them out for a bit! :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:01 am

WizardBeast wrote:Skeletonwitch is a TON of fucking fun live, i highly recommend you all add them to your list. They are awesome blackened thrash from Ohio....jag kommer från Ohio också.

If you like the energy of Overkill with a more blackened metal vibe i think you will love Skeletonwitch. Just don't want you to miss out if they were not on your radar....Laura, Fredrik, gnoff, Markku, etc!

much, MUCH more fun to hear live than on their recordings for sure, at least check them out for a bit! :shred: :shred: :shred: :shred:

Yup! They do put on a great show.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:47 am

WizardBeast wrote:Skeletonwitch is a TON of fucking fun live, i highly recommend you all add them to your list. They are awesome blackened thrash from Ohio....jag kommer från Ohio också.

They are one of the bands on my list :) I have never seen them before, only listened to some random stuff, but it sounds quite good so I'll check them out :)

Beer and bananas!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am

MadameLePink wrote:

They are one of the bands on my list :) I have never seen them before, only listened to some random stuff, but it sounds quite good so I'll check them out :)

Mycket bra! Ja för fan! hey just out of curiousity, what language do you and Fredrik speak the most together? besides the language of awesome?
    Uncle Soda
    Petty Officer

by Uncle Soda » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:06 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:

Mycket bra! Ja för fan! hey just out of curiousity, what language do you and Fredrik speak the most together? besides the language of awesome?

With Laura speaking excellent Danish and me speaking a refined Swanish my response would be "We speak Danish". I would assume that Laura's response would that she speaks Danish and Fredrik speaks Retard.
    Drinks at the Twilight Tavern. Pays with Tokens of Time.

wishlist: Ensiferum, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Heidevolk, Chthonic, Entombed, Finntroll, Heavy Metal Perse, Powerwolf, Primordial, Grand Magus, Monster Magnet
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Uncle Soda wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:Mycket bra! Ja för fan! hey just out of curiosity, what language do you and Fredrik speak the most together? besides the language of awesome?

With Laura speaking excellent Danish and me speaking a refined Swanish my response would be "We speak Danish". I would assume that Laura's response would that she speaks Danish and Fredrik speaks Retard.

HAHA! was wondering if it was english since you both speak excellent english....but your answer is far more amusing!
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:06 am

Fredrik, shouldn't it be Moron, not Retard? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:46 am

Memnoch wrote:Fredrik, shouldn't it be Moron, not Retard? :lol:

:lol: :lol:

His mind is getting confused :beerwink:

Beer and bananas!
    Uncle Soda
    Petty Officer

by Uncle Soda » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:05 am

I'm fluent in Moron too, but Laura doesn't speak it, so it's of little use at home, except when I write poetry.

wishlist: Ensiferum, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, Heidevolk, Chthonic, Entombed, Finntroll, Heavy Metal Perse, Powerwolf, Primordial, Grand Magus, Monster Magnet
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:50 am

Uncle Soda wrote:

I'm fluent in Moron too, but Laura doesn't speak it, so it's of little use at home, except when I write poetry.

please write a poem for baconfestivalen....or just about anything i don't care! i would love to hear a moronic poem!!!! sure gnoff would too. we are quite easily amused if you haven't noticed!
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:56 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    Uncle Soda wrote:

please write a poem for baconfestivalen....or just about anything i don't care! i would love to hear a moronic poem!!!! sure gnoff would too. we are quite easily amused if you haven't noticed!

Hahaha... don't give him such good ideas...

Beer and bananas!
    Uncle Soda
    Petty Officer

by Uncle Soda » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:29 am

MadameLePink wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Too late, honey...

Basonfläsk, Pancetta, Tunnt Skivad Gris
    Honour its’ taste, and thy shalt find peace
    From the proud ports of Gothenburg, to the Colorado streets
    It’s the holy grail of snacks, and the unicorn of meats
    The single thing that Morons love the most
    Is to unleash its’ fucking fury over eggs and crispy toast

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:38 am

Uncle Soda wrote:
    MadameLePink wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Too late, honey...

Basonfläsk, Pancetta, Tunnt Skivad Gris
    Honour its’ taste, and thy shalt find peace
    From the proud ports of Gothenburg, to the Colorado streets
    It’s the holy grail of snacks, and the unicorn of meats
    The single thing that Morons love the most
    Is to unleash its’ fucking fury over eggs and crispy toast

Great poem
    I should get around to updating my signature
Post Reply 547 posts