Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1
New Nightwish Single - Storytime
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

New Nightwish Single - Storytime

by Alex Fields » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 pm

I guess It was played on the european radio yesterday ..

I think it would be interesting to read some opinions about it, just please avoid bitching about Nightwish, the more brutal fans can go to another topic, Is not like I just wanna read "Is the best song I've heard" comments, I mean all the constructive or debatable comments are wellcome, just try to avoid the "more time to sleep jaja, fucking popy NW" comments please..

So going through my personal opinion:

Is a very epic, catchy and good song, one of the bests singed by Anette with Nightwish, very strong improvements from the last album (in my opinion), I just would like to have a longer guitar solo, but the c part is absolutely impressive, NW was successful bringing a smile to my face on the first listening again :beerbang:

So here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSnbEsrypaY

With this I await for more good surprises listening at the full album! :beerbang:
    Cheers!

Cab: 3500 G

Wishlist: Allen-Lande, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, , Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Northern Kings, Mago de Oz, Ozzy, Powerwolf, Tarot, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Syrens Call, Within Temptation
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: New Nightwish Single - Storytime

by Stained Class » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:27 pm

It might be "the single" and not actually sound like the rest of the album. It would be a good fit for the album assuming that the album has some more aggressive stuff on it, but I felt it was a little too light.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:38 pm

I'll post what I posted in the listening thread here:

It's a low quality version. Can't make a proper assessment of the song based off of that recording. It's catchy. It's not great but it's not terrible. The vocals don't ruin it for me, which is a big plus. I'm a little more optimistic about hearing more of the album now.

It certainly sounds like a single and I don't know if it gives any indication of what the actual album will sound like but as far as light, catchy, radio friendly tunes, it ain't half bad.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Listened to it and didn't hate it, but also wasn't particularly impressed. Would give the album a spin, probably wouldn't buy it. I'll probably still check out one (or part of) a set on broad.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Okay, so that upload on YouTube was in a higher key. Not a huge difference but I'd imagine it'd be decently noticeable if I had heard the original version.

It's not bad; anyone who still thinks Tarja is a better singer than Anette is crazy, so at least it confirms my belief that Anette is a much better vocalist :cool: :cool:

I'll catch one of their sets on broad, as I've said numerous times I'm one of the few people that thinks they're 100x the band they were when Tarja was the vocalist.

EDIT: Found a legitimate version immediately after. The key difference IS quite noticeable. The real version I heard sounds much better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46USHz1t8mc
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:32 am

It's ok. I like them much more now than I did when Tarja was still with them.

I will catch one of their sets on broad, no doubt about it.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:21 am

The official video for the song is up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MTDBb8qro

Epic. Love love LOVE it. Easily the best thing with Anette, and the best Nightwish have done in general in a long long time.

Bring on the new album, and bring on January!!!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:04 am

Ecliptica wrote:It's not bad; anyone who still thinks Tarja is a better singer than Anette is crazy, so at least it confirms my belief that Anette is a much better vocalist :cool: :cool:

You're the crazy one. :lol: This song definitely does fit Annette better and I really can't see Tarja singing it. This could mean that they have done a better job of writing to match with Annette's style. I thought Dark Passion Play was hit or miss on that subject. Again, the song isn't great and certainly sounds like a single, but it has me cautiously optimistic as to what the rest of the album may sound like. I just hope the whole thing doesn't sound like Storytime.

BTW, your link has been removed from YouTube.
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 am

cowboy71 wrote:The official video for the song is up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MTDBb8qro

Epic. Love love LOVE it. Easily the best thing with Anette
    haha right, the link was removed but now we can see the official video

Stained Class wrote:It might be "the single" and not actually sound like the rest of the album. It would be a good fit for the album assuming that the album has some more aggressive stuff on it, but I felt it was a little too light.

I'm optimistic about some points:

1. I totally agree and I'm almost sure the album will contain more agressive stuff just like happened with DPP.. when I listened tho the whole album I found many parts I've liked and enjoyed much more than the complete first single

2. I think is a little too light too, but I remmember the first DPP single Amaranth, when I listened to it I felt it like 300 times too lighter than this one and I think at the end, that song (Amarant) was like the average of the hardegreer (scale to measure the hard of a song haha) of the whole album, so in general average I expect a harder and more consolidated album than DPP

3. Referring to Amarant once again, on my first listened I thought It was a too carefully planned and tecnical song like thinked too much, I feel Storytime like a more honest and fluid song like more just playing, more enjoying and less worry and I think that feeling is transmited to the listener

4. As I said it bringed a smile to my face immediately, I've had that riff and little solo on my head all the day :)
    Cheers!

Wishlist: Allen-Lande, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, , Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Northern Kings, Mago de Oz, Ozzy, Powerwolf, Tarot, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Syrens Call, Within Temptation
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:55 am

Memnoch wrote:It's ok. I like them much more now than I did when Tarja was still with them.

I'm telling Stephan on you :P :lol: :P
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:50 am

STUPID STUPID INTERNET! Keeps buffering before I can get suitably into the song. Bear with me. I'll have an opinion in a few moments.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Kickass! I agree with Ryan. This album did a good job at effectively utilizing Anette's voice. I bet I could convert some non-metalheads with this too. Always looking for new songs to help add new members to my flock.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:16 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Memnoch wrote:It's ok. I like them much more now than I did when Tarja was still with them.

I'm telling Stephan on you :P :lol: :P

Please do. What's the worst he could do? Convince Martin to man up so Stephan gets on broad to tell me his view on metal? Bring it.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:17 pm

I was expecting a wow factor with this song which didn't happen, I only saw a minute of the video clip as my internet at work is shit, but what I saw was pretty cool I can't wait to see this "movie".

I don't hate the song, I just hope there are better ones on the album which I will definitely buy when it comes out, I can't wait
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Song is ok i guess.Nothing special but the vocals are a fucking joke.Annete doesn't fit with Nightwish at all.
    She'd make a good pop singer though.
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:It's not bad; anyone who still thinks Tarja is a better singer than Anette is crazy, so at least it confirms my belief that Anette is a much better vocalist :cool: :cool:

You're the crazy one. :lol: This song definitely does fit Annette better and I really can't see Tarja singing it. This could mean that they have done a better job of writing to match with Annette's style. I thought Dark Passion Play was hit or miss on that subject. Again, the song isn't great and certainly sounds like a single, but it has me cautiously optimistic as to what the rest of the album may sound like. I just hope the whole thing doesn't sound like Storytime.

You have to remember though that the music for Dark Passion Play was written before the new singer was found, so it makes sense that the music on the new album suits Anette's voice a lot better. A lot of people wrote off DPP because of this, but the real test is going to be the music that Nightwish write specifically for Anette. I concur with mooyagi, there is no way that Anette is a better singer than Tarja. Tarja is a classicly trained opera singer. Have you seen/heard the live DVD/CD? Listen to that and tell me that Anette can hit the high note in Phantom Of The Opera like Tarja does!

I really like the music for Storytime and the video clip looks pretty awesome too. I won't make a comment on Anette's voice on this album until I've heard more.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:33 am

at this point I really don't see Tarja's or Anette's participation with Nightwish as a comparison topic finally the songs has the taste and personallity that the band want them to, that includes all the singers in Nightwish: Tuomas, Tapio, Tony Kakko, Marco, John Two-Hawks, and as it can be read in some interviews, soon Troy, so I think Tarja had awsome songs and part of songs with Nightwish, Anette had had another ones like Meadows of Heaven which I really liked
    Cheers!

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:45 am

I could just quote a few of the comments, because most of my thoughts correlate with posts before:
    it does sound like a singe, it is maybe a tad to light, it is a good song, it does fit her voice, it does make me look forward to the album...and so on...
    I LIKE

just one thing: it might not be the most entertaining song live...or am I wrong here?
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    GhostMemory
    Crewman

by GhostMemory » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Catchy chorus, but other than that I'm not finding it all that memorable at the moment.
    2011: CABIN #6526
    2012: CABIN #8074
    2013: AWOL
    2014: AWOL

Current mood: Just ate a pinecone...
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:14 am

As someone who hasn't listened to a Nightwish song since their 2nd album, I recognized it as Nightwish right off the bat, honestly the only vocal quality difference to me, is the fact that I don't have to wait 20-30 seconds of the song for Tarja to sing a single damn word anymore. I didn't instantly hate the song and actually checked out another song with the new singer and didn't find it as annoying as old TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA songs.

I find it ironic that Nightwish fans consider the new girl more poppy and sellout'ish. Actually they just got a couple more points in my book cause of her voice and diction.
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 am

cycosurgeon wrote:As someone who hasn't listened to a Nightwish song since their 2nd album, I recognized it as Nightwish right off the bat, honestly the only vocal quality difference to me, is the fact that I don't have to wait 20-30 seconds of the song for Tarja to sing a single damn word anymore. I didn't instantly hate the song and actually checked out another song with the new singer and didn't find it as annoying as old TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA songs.

I find it ironic that Nightwish fans consider the new girl more poppy and sellout'ish. Actually they just got a couple more points in my book cause of her voice and diction.

Yeah I like the new singer better but I heard the new singer first, I figured most old fans would like the old one better. I'm not crazy about the really high operatic vocals anyways. I'm really looking forward to Nightwish :deathhorns:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Yelena
    Crewman

by Yelena » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:36 pm

This song confused me so much at first haha especially with the initial 50 second teaser that they released. I don't know what it is about their music but every time I hear something new from them it takes me at least ten repeats before I really start to understand what's going on.

It's really grown on me, though, and I am in love with the instrumental version of the song. That's nothing against Anette, I've just always loved the instrumental versions. Can't wait for the full album release and to see them on board :headbanger:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:48 am

Actually yeah it got stuck in my head and it wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be. Seems to be the story, noone likes this song on first listen. When does the album actually come out? Too lazy to look.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:52 am

Stained Class wrote:Actually yeah it got stuck in my head and it wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be. Seems to be the story, noone likes this song on first listen. When does the album actually come out? Too lazy to look.

From metal archives:

Release dates:

Finland: Wednesday, 30th November 2011
    Europe: Friday, 2nd December 2011
    Australia: Tuesday, January 6th 2012
    USA & Canada: Sunday, 10th January 2012
    Japan: Monday, January 11th 2012
    New Zealand: Friday, January 16th 2012
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:03 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Actually yeah it got stuck in my head and it wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be. Seems to be the story, noone likes this song on first listen. When does the album actually come out? Too lazy to look.

From metal archives:

Release dates:

Finland: Wednesday, 30th November 2011
    Europe: Friday, 2nd December 2011
    Australia: Tuesday, January 6th 2012
    USA & Canada: Sunday, 10th January 2012
    Japan: Monday, January 11th 2012
    New Zealand: Friday, January 16th 2012

cool thanks buuuuuddy.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Yelena
    Crewman

by Yelena » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:19 pm

For anyone who is interested, the sound samples for the rest of the album are out :cool:

http://soundcloud.com/nightwishband/sets/imaginaerum
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Yelena wrote:For anyone who is interested, the sound samples for the rest of the album are out :cool:

thx - since the album is coming out that soon, I'll wait for it to be released :)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:31 pm

last_candle wrote:
    Yelena wrote:For anyone who is interested, the sound samples for the rest of the album are out :cool:

thx - since the album is coming out that soon, I'll wait for it to be released :)

agreed, I'll wait to "experience the true impact of the album" as NW said on their website

well I'll try, the temptation is high!
    Cheers!

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:15 am

Alex Fields wrote:
    last_candle wrote:

agreed, I'll wait to "experience the true impact of the album" as NW said on their website
    well I'll try, the temptation is high!

I should have written "I'll try to...", too ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:32 am

In my opinion Nightwish was unique with Tarja as lead singer, I really liked the 3 first albums, not that I dislike the rest.
    But on the later albums Tarja moved away from the opera sound and went in a more commercial way.
    With Anette on vocals I still enjoy Nightwish but the unique part of it is gone. They are now just another metal band
    with female vocals.

For the latest single it sounds like I said before like an Abba song.

I am gonna catch both shows though, unless it crashes with something else I have to see.
    :viking:
  • Post Reply 31 posts Page 1 of 1