Post Reply 110 posts
NIGHTWISH - I M A G I N A E R U M !
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

Re: NIGHTWISH - I M A G I N A E R U M !

by cycosurgeon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:21 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    last_candle wrote:cheese is good, at least Swiss cheese ;)

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Best Cheese....

2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:11 am

cycosurgeon wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:
    last_candle wrote:cheese is good, at least Swiss cheese ;)

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

Best Cheese....

everyone from NE Ohio loves muenster.....YUMMMMMY!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Dutch Cheese baby :P Cheese is good hahaha
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Digimortal wrote:Dutch Cheese baby :P Cheese is good hahaha

it is, just have to be careful how much or it stops ya up~!
    Digimortal
    Chief Petty Officer

by Digimortal » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:53 am

For ppl who want to win something special:

http://tuomas-holopainen.com/index.php/en/xmascomp
    Survivor of:
    2011: Cabin 6526
    2012: Cabin 4051
    2013: Cabin 2525
    2014: Cabin 3015
    2015: Cabin 8687
    Yelena
    Crewman

by Yelena » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:21 am

Digimortal wrote:For ppl who want to win something special:

http://tuomas-holopainen.com/index.php/en/xmascomp

I either know too much about Nightwish lyrics or that answer is way too easy to figure out :?
    Tyr
    Chief Petty Officer

by Tyr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:02 am

I bought the album a couple of days ago and listned to it a good few times,
    and it made me wonder where have the heavy in this metal gone,
    where has the metal gone for that matter.
    It have a few catchy tunes, but they are catchy in the same way
    a pop song is catchy, and we don't talk about catchy pop tunes.
    My plan was to see both Nightwish shows, but now I am more
    likely to just pass at one show.
    I wish they had not realesed this album so I could still have been
    a Nightwish fan. Hopfully they do better next time.

:viking:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:23 am

I like the new album. And Slow, Love, Slow is the best song they have ever recorded.

I'm glad they got rid of Tarja. Anette is sooo much better than her. Sure Tarja might be the better of the two technically, but she lacks all emotion in her voice.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:58 pm

today, I listened to the instrumental CD for the first time
    it's really a nice thing they offer with this extra disc
    I LIKE
    ...but I'm still not too much into the new album
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Memnoch wrote:I like the new album. And Slow, Love, Slow is the best song they have ever recorded.

I'm glad they got rid of Tarja. Anette is sooo much better than her. Sure Tarja might be the better of the two technically, but she lacks all emotion in her voice.

i didn't care for the over-the-top opera style. i agree that while she was technically proficient, it did seem to lack emotion to me.
    scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 am

I loved Tarja back in the good ol' Nightwish days. But honestly, Annette is a wonderful replacement and I really think Nightwish has become a band as a whole, it's not only some powerful opera singer at the head of a metal band, they have an identity now. I liked the first album with the new singer, but Imaginareum is an absolute masterpiece in my mind. I've probably listened to it 100 times in my car since it's been spinning in my cd-player for over a month now, and I always find something new to enjoy about the songs.

Nightwish, 70K... I can't fuckin wait.
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 am

scyll wrote:I loved Tarja back in the good ol' Nightwish days. But honestly, Annette is a wonderful replacement and I really think Nightwish has become a band as a whole, it's not only some powerful opera singer at the head of a metal band, they have an identity now. I liked the first album with the new singer, but Imaginareum is an absolute masterpiece in my mind. I've probably listened to it 100 times in my car since it's been spinning in my cd-player for over a month now, and I always find something new to enjoy about the songs.

Right! :bangers: :shred: :viking: I hope we can see a trailer form the movie soon

By the way, If you haven't seen it before, this is the webpage of Stobe Harju, the director of the movie, there you can see the video "Stobe Harju: Montage", that's a look into what he can do, I love that montage, the work seems amazing, and the music is by Petri Alanko who will compose the arrangements for the Imaginaerum movie too:

http://www.stobe.net/
    Cheers!

Cab: 3500 G

Wishlist: Allen-Lande, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, , Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Northern Kings, Mago de Oz, Ozzy, Powerwolf, Tarot, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Syrens Call, Within Temptation
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:42 pm

When does the movie come out again? For some reason I thought it was January

I finally have the album and have listened to it a few times, Ghost River is a favourite as well as Slow, Love, Slow, although I think they could have done a better ending for that song, it feels like it finished in the middle of the peak, they should have had Annette belt something in an even higher note to finish it off.

I still have to familiarise myself a bit more with the end half of the album, but I think they have done a brilliant job, it's definitely a Nightwish album and Annette is superb! I'm glad people are starting to like her now.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:49 am

Fatum11 wrote:When does the movie come out again? For some reason I thought it was January

I finally have the album and have listened to it a few times, Ghost River is a favourite as well as Slow, Love, Slow, although I think they could have done a better ending for that song, it feels like it finished in the middle of the peak, they should have had Annette belt something in an even higher note to finish it off.

I still have to familiarise myself a bit more with the end half of the album, but I think they have done a brilliant job, it's definitely a Nightwish album and Annette is superb! I'm glad people are starting to like her now.

I am too. I've been playing the "Don't worry, she has the raw materials, they just need to develop as a whole" trumpet for so long, I was starting to feel like the only one who liked her sometimes. I thought she was awesome from the get-go. But she's definitely more in her element here.

Interesting thought that's never been well-answered by the Annette-haters though: If Tarja hadn't left, what would the band sound like? I'm thinking not much different. For two reasons - one, Tuomas didn't write DPP for Annette. Most of the songs were done before she joined. So the changes in sound are his composition, not her singing. Reason two is regarding the singing style itself. Everyone cites Wishmaster and Oceanborn as masterpieces, which I'd say they are. But Century child was where the first change happened, Marco joined and started singing, suddenly there are duets, the focus is off her power and onto other members as well. Then with Once, in many ways they did away with the operatic stuff entirely. It was still there to a degree, but she sounds nothing like the 90's work. Following that line, if they had continued the way they were and she sang DPP, it would have been very close to Annette's style, I think. Even a lot of Tarja's solo project sounds like a harder to understand, emotionless Annette, except for the showy high notes, which she's doing less of from what I've heard.

Ramble ramble. The movie, by the way... he's hoping for a spring release, if not, it will for sure be in the summer.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:12 pm

Eternity wrote:
    Fatum11 wrote:When does the movie come out again? For some reason I thought it was January

I am too. I've been playing the "Don't worry, she has the raw materials, they just need to develop as a whole" trumpet for so long, I was starting to feel like the only one who liked her sometimes. I thought she was awesome from the get-go. But she's definitely more in her element here.

Interesting thought that's never been well-answered by the Annette-haters though: If Tarja hadn't left, what would the band sound like? I'm thinking not much different. For two reasons - one, Tuomas didn't write DPP for Annette. Most of the songs were done before she joined. So the changes in sound are his composition, not her singing. Reason two is regarding the singing style itself. Everyone cites Wishmaster and Oceanborn as masterpieces, which I'd say they are. But Century child was where the first change happened, Marco joined and started singing, suddenly there are duets, the focus is off her power and onto other members as well. Then with Once, in many ways they did away with the operatic stuff entirely. It was still there to a degree, but she sounds nothing like the 90's work. Following that line, if they had continued the way they were and she sang DPP, it would have been very close to Annette's style, I think. Even a lot of Tarja's solo project sounds like a harder to understand, emotionless Annette, except for the showy high notes, which she's doing less of from what I've heard.

Ramble ramble. The movie, by the way... he's hoping for a spring release, if not, it will for sure be in the summer.

Pretty much agree with you here. The way I see it, even though I don't like Annette singing, I could see the change coming. Many songs on Once sounded like they were not written for someone with Tarja's style of singing in mind. She sounded very awkward on "Wish I Had an Angel" for instance. I can understand Tuomas wanting to change direction with the band and moving on to a different type of singer. I was just hoping for someone with more emotion and that didn't have such a poppy voice. And someone that can perform the old material.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Eternity
    Petty Officer

by Eternity » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm

I want to see them do a bunch of old stuff onboard. I hear she was really hit or miss live, but improved a ton near the end of her tour... got some confidence, hit her groove, whatever. When I saw them, she sang the old ones better than Tarja did. Well, most of them.

I don't know how anyone feels about it, but while I quite liked Tarja's voice in the studio, she sucked live. I have yet to see her do anything on a stage that didn't make me shake my head. But having never actually seen her live, only seeing DVD's and whatnot, I can't quite compare the two. But from what I've seen, Annette is way more in touch with the audience, and sounds much closer to her studio voice when she's live.
    Non-Repeat Wishlist: Apocalyptica, Cellador, Gloryhammer, Haggard, Mortemia, Northern Kings, Powerglove, Rhapsody/Of Fire, Sirenia, Tarot, The Unguided, Van Canto, Viathyn, Violet Sun, Wintersun
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:36 pm

gnoff wrote:Sort of Nightwishy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6W5ScOEv2c

Swallow The Sun - Cathedral Walls (featuring Nightwish's Anette Olzon)

Damn that IS a change from my listening to The Crown - The Speed of Darkness, changing into that video, haha

I was getting impatient and bored with the song until the 3.40 mark, now I'm excited for the new album :D Hopefully they got rid of those new scratchy scream/growl things (no idea what to call or how to describe them) they had in New Moon.

Annette sounds completely different in this song, she sounds similar to the girl who sang on "Lights on the Lake" from the last album.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:58 pm

scyll wrote:I loved Tarja back in the good ol' Nightwish days. But honestly, Annette is a wonderful replacement and I really think Nightwish has become a band as a whole, it's not only some powerful opera singer at the head of a metal band, they have an identity now. I liked the first album with the new singer, but Imaginareum is an absolute masterpiece in my mind. I've probably listened to it 100 times in my car since it's been spinning in my cd-player for over a month now, and I always find something new to enjoy about the songs.

I heart you
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:45 am

"NIGHTWISH Mainman Says Half Of New Setlist Will Consist Of 'Imaginaerum' Material"

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=168111

So 7 or 8 songs from Imaginaerum, 3 or 4 from Dark Passion Play, 2 or 3 from pre Anette, plus a cover version. That's my prediction :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021(?) 2022(??) Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:52 am

I'm not sure if this was mentioned yet, but for those of you attending the L.A. show and looking for something to do beforehand:

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:15 am

Just bought this last night on iTunes (yesterday was the US release date) and just now started listening to it - I like VERY MUCH so far....really looking forward to seeing them on the cruise.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Ok....finished listening to this entire album for the first time. My opinion?

A+++++

Really love it...for some reason I had not expected much and I am *very* pleasantly surprised! Many fantastic songs but a few of the ballads really touched me in particular - "Slow, Love, Slow" and "The Crow, The Owl, and The Dove" - gorgeous! (must be in a lovelorn ballad-y mood today. ;) ) REALLY looking forward to seeing Nightwish on the boat now!! :D :D

Here's my deal with Nightwish - there were a few years that I listened to them a ton (have all their albums and the DVD End of an Era), saw them a few times (with Anette), and also saw Tarja twice solo. I don't know if I just got burnt out on them or what, but haven't listened to them much in awhile....although I did put Tarja in my sig wishlist because I'm so crazy about her and her voice - so much so, I'd like to BE her. :P

Anyway - this album has renewed my love of Nightwish and I'm so stoked to see them!!!

(P.S. as I write this, I can't help but think Stach must HATE a band like Nightwish and how dare they be on a "Heavy Metal" cruise! :lol: )
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:26 am

Laura wrote:Just bought this last night on iTunes (yesterday was the US release date) and just now started listening to it - I like VERY MUCH so far....really looking forward to seeing them on the cruise.

I LOVE IT!!!!!! :D
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:29 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:
    Laura wrote:Just bought this last night on iTunes (yesterday was the US release date) and just now started listening to it - I like VERY MUCH so far....really looking forward to seeing them on the cruise.

I LOVE IT!!!!!! :D

see you at both Nightwish gigs bay-bay!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
    EveryFairyDies
    Oiler

by EveryFairyDies » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:30 am

Ok, so I've listened to this album a few times now, mostly straight through in one sitting, though last time I listened to it today I focused mainly on the songs I really liked.

Before I get into it, I'm not sure how many people on this forum are musicians, but I'm a vocalist, as well as pianist/guitarist/flautist, I've studied classical and modern music at university, and I've performed with bands, choirs and orchestras. I'm also a lyricist, and have written a few songs. I'm not boasting, I'm just giving you an idea of where I'm coming from with my views.

First time I listened to Imaginarium, I was a bit surprised; I thought, from all I'd read, that it was going to be a concept album with a through story, as opposed to a collection of songs with a basic, similar theme. So I had to kinda reprogram my brain after the first time I listened to it. Obviously, some songs I like more than others, but it still throws me a little bit as I feel that the album as a whole is all over the place. There are so many odd changes in tempo, timing, key signatures and styles in each song, it's a little dizzying, and very off-putting. It's an album I knew I would have to listen to a few times before I could get accustomed to it.

While musically I think this is a great album (and I've been putting off listening to the instrumental disc because I know I'll never stop listening to it), I think it lacks lyrically. There's no track that makes me think "this is the single, this is awesome". None really stands out above the others. Don't get me wrong, I love Turn Loose the Mermaids and The Crow, the Owl and the Dove, and I think Slow Love Slow is absolutely perfect for Annette's voice. The bluesy feel really suits her. But, for example, I expected more from I Want My Tears Back, which I thought would be the single song from the album, but I feel that Tuomas hasn't taken advantage of such a great line as "I Want My Tears Back", and the song doesn't live up to it's potential.

I think it's interesting that Marco's been a lot more vocally active on the past two albums, and I don't feel like his vocals are as impacting as they were when they had Tarja. Think their cover of Phantom of the Opera; Tarja's incredible soprano against Marco's dirty, growling tenor. There's a few times on Imaginarium where I can't actually tell which one's singing - Annette or Marco, their ranges are too close together.

As a trained vocalist, I like both Tarja and Annette, as I have the kind of voice that can handle both types of singing (except for those uber-high notes in Phantom. I'm not a soprano. Grrrrr). I like Tarja because I get to exercise my high range, and I like Annette because I get to stretch my alto belting. They have different styles, but I think (just me personally) that Nightwish would've done better to have a vocalist that could do both styles, so they could still play songs like Wishmaster next to Amaranth.

I also think that Tuomas needs to scale it back. The choirs and orchestra don't really work against Annette's voice. Tarja could blend well with the choir, and sing over them smoothly. Annette can't in her current style. Look at Slow Love Slow, the song I think she sings best on the album. No choir, no orchestra, just piano, bass, guitar, drums. Very simple, very basic, and very very beautiful. I think Tuomas is trying to outdo Once, and he can't do that with Annette. It's like trying to write a classical opera in the style of Puccini when your star vocalist is Susan Boyle. It just don't work. I don't know if it's because Tuomas feels he has something to prove after the fiasco with Tarja, but maybe he's a little bitter that "Nemo" is still the band's biggest selling single, and is trying to change that to something with Annette ASAP as some symbol to show that Nightwish and Tarja are quits.

A lot of people I've noticed here are booing Tarja's lack of emotion, especially live, but as a vocalist, I can understand why she might be a bit cautious, because it's so easy to fuck up your voice in no time at all. Especially when you're doing such hard work as Nightwish requires from its voices. Sometimes you have to sacrifice emotion for proper technique to ensure you can still sing the next night. I'd be really interested in talking to Annette about her technique, as I can sometimes hear that she's not using vowel sounds, or she's not opening up as much as she can, she sounds a little tight vocally on her belting. I will also be interested to watch her live, as I can't remember from last time I saw her if she also practices diaphram breathing and support, which if she doesn't, would really help her get some strength in her upper register.

But I do like most of the album (not so much that "Love" sectino of "Song of Myself". WTF?!), and can't wait to see 'em on the pool deck, and in LA! Luckily, I can turn off my training and just enjoy stuff for what it is, especially music. Shit's gonna be awesome!

Oh, and artwork, fucking brilliant, and I love the photos! That one of Emppu at the back of the booklet is freaking TWISTED. I love it.
    VAN CANTO; Tarja; Within Temptation; Sabaton; Manowar; Apocalyptica; Dethklok; Lacuna Coil; Stream of Passion; Krypteria; Spinal Tap; Rammstein for 70,000 Tons 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/themoshpit100.3 for heavy metal in Brisbane!
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:56 am

^^^ interesting review and opinions - and I am neither a trained vocalist nor musician - so again - interesting to read. :cheers:

I've listened to the album more this morning and love it more and more. :D

As I said earlier - I am a huge Tarja fan and I miss her presence, but also like Anette's voice very much.

I think my fave Nightwish song with Anette is now Slow, Love, Slow - gorgeous and perfect for her voice as you said.
    Favorite Nightwish song with Tarja: Sleeping Sun (I can hardly listen to this song without it bringing a tear to my eye - it is that beautiful to me ;) )
    I was at this performance - a real highlight of that fest for me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx-JfSk36bE - kind of a shaky video, but better than nothing to remember it ;) )
    maroooned
    Oiler

by maroooned » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:12 am

EveryFairyDies wrote:Ok, so I've listened to this album a few times now, mostly straight through in one sitting, though last time I listened to it today I focused mainly on the songs I really liked.

Before I get into it, I'm not sure how many people on this forum are musicians, but I'm a vocalist, as well as pianist/guitarist/flautist, I've studied classical and modern music at university, and I've performed with bands, choirs and orchestras. I'm also a lyricist, and have written a few songs. I'm not boasting, I'm just giving you an idea of where I'm coming from with my views.

First time I listened to Imaginarium, I was a bit surprised; I thought, from all I'd read, that it was going to be a concept album with a through story, as opposed to a collection of songs with a basic, similar theme. So I had to kinda reprogram my brain after the first time I listened to it. Obviously, some songs I like more than others, but it still throws me a little bit as I feel that the album as a whole is all over the place. There are so many odd changes in tempo, timing, key signatures and styles in each song, it's a little dizzying, and very off-putting. It's an album I knew I would have to listen to a few times before I could get accustomed to it.

While musically I think this is a great album (and I've been putting off listening to the instrumental disc because I know I'll never stop listening to it), I think it lacks lyrically. There's no track that makes me think "this is the single, this is awesome". None really stands out above the others. Don't get me wrong, I love Turn Loose the Mermaids and The Crow, the Owl and the Dove, and I think Slow Love Slow is absolutely perfect for Annette's voice. The bluesy feel really suits her. But, for example, I expected more from I Want My Tears Back, which I thought would be the single song from the album, but I feel that Tuomas hasn't taken advantage of such a great line as "I Want My Tears Back", and the song doesn't live up to it's potential.

I think it's interesting that Marco's been a lot more vocally active on the past two albums, and I don't feel like his vocals are as impacting as they were when they had Tarja. Think their cover of Phantom of the Opera; Tarja's incredible soprano against Marco's dirty, growling tenor. There's a few times on Imaginarium where I can't actually tell which one's singing - Annette or Marco, their ranges are too close together.

As a trained vocalist, I like both Tarja and Annette, as I have the kind of voice that can handle both types of singing (except for those uber-high notes in Phantom. I'm not a soprano. Grrrrr). I like Tarja because I get to exercise my high range, and I like Annette because I get to stretch my alto belting. They have different styles, but I think (just me personally) that Nightwish would've done better to have a vocalist that could do both styles, so they could still play songs like Wishmaster next to Amaranth.

I also think that Tuomas needs to scale it back. The choirs and orchestra don't really work against Annette's voice. Tarja could blend well with the choir, and sing over them smoothly. Annette can't in her current style. Look at Slow Love Slow, the song I think she sings best on the album. No choir, no orchestra, just piano, bass, guitar, drums. Very simple, very basic, and very very beautiful. I think Tuomas is trying to outdo Once, and he can't do that with Annette. It's like trying to write a classical opera in the style of Puccini when your star vocalist is Susan Boyle. It just don't work. I don't know if it's because Tuomas feels he has something to prove after the fiasco with Tarja, but maybe he's a little bitter that "Nemo" is still the band's biggest selling single, and is trying to change that to something with Annette ASAP as some symbol to show that Nightwish and Tarja are quits.

A lot of people I've noticed here are booing Tarja's lack of emotion, especially live, but as a vocalist, I can understand why she might be a bit cautious, because it's so easy to fuck up your voice in no time at all. Especially when you're doing such hard work as Nightwish requires from its voices. Sometimes you have to sacrifice emotion for proper technique to ensure you can still sing the next night. I'd be really interested in talking to Annette about her technique, as I can sometimes hear that she's not using vowel sounds, or she's not opening up as much as she can, she sounds a little tight vocally on her belting. I will also be interested to watch her live, as I can't remember from last time I saw her if she also practices diaphram breathing and support, which if she doesn't, would really help her get some strength in her upper register.

But I do like most of the album (not so much that "Love" sectino of "Song of Myself". WTF?!), and can't wait to see 'em on the pool deck, and in LA! Luckily, I can turn off my training and just enjoy stuff for what it is, especially music. Shit's gonna be awesome!

Oh, and artwork, fucking brilliant, and I love the photos! That one of Emppu at the back of the booklet is freaking TWISTED. I love it.

I liked what you wrote here, thanks! I was kinda surprised as well when I heard all these different styles, in a sence I felt that Tuomas chosen to explore other genres rather than focus on the traditional Nightwish sound. And I agree that he could have scaled back on the orchestrations and choirs. I know that Tuomas is a huge fan of movie scores and he himself wanted to write a number of them and it really shows in "scaretale" which I like the most out of the whole album. It really is a very nice album worthy of the hype it created but in my mind they could have done it better...
    Русские есть??

Name's Anton
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 am

EveryFairyDies wrote: There's a few times on Imaginarium where I can't actually tell which one's singing - Annette or Marco, their ranges are too close together.

That is the new magic of Nightwish, never known before Imaginaerum!, that's clear on Rest Calm, Marco's scream on Last Ride Of the Day and All That Great Heart Lying Still
    Cheers!

Wishlist: Allen-Lande, Apocalyptica, Avantasia, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Edguy, , Epica, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Northern Kings, Mago de Oz, Ozzy, Powerwolf, Tarot, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Syrens Call, Within Temptation
    Yelena
    Crewman

by Yelena » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:18 pm

EveryFairyDies wrote: There's a few times on Imaginarium where I can't actually tell which one's singing - Annette or Marco, their ranges are too close together.

Good to know that I'm not the only one :lol:

So earlier this week I finally got my full copy of the album. I also received 4 digital bonus tracks, all of which turned out to be just demos of the songs on the album. I will admit that listening to them worries me a little for the live shows in terms of vocal quality :? Anette seems to have had a ton of vocal layers mixed for the more powerful singing bits on the final album but on the demos you can hear how a single raw voice didn't quite fit well at all. Hope they use the extra tracks on playback live, otherwise it will end up sounding a bit empty.
    Alex Fields
    Chief Petty Officer

by Alex Fields » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 am

some pics of what we'll soon witness..

http://www.nightwish.com/gallery/thumbn ... ?album=211
    Cheers!

Post Reply 110 posts