Post Reply 20 posts Page 1 of 1
R.I.P. David Gold, Woods of Ypres
  • Jöhn&Melönius
    Crewman

R.I.P. David Gold, Woods of Ypres

by Jöhn&Melönius » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:45 pm

The great David Gold was killed in a car crash December 22, while going home to his family for the holidays. Fucking sucks. He will be missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHDbmooAafw

Woods of Ypres new album Woods 5 was to be released in January 2012, in tribute to David, Earache Records has made the album available for free from this link here.
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: R.I.P. David Gold, Woods of Ypres

by cowboy71 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Sad shit this :( Saw the news over on the Ultimate Metal forums.

Not a band I ever listened to - saw the name and always wanted to check 'em out as I love the name.

Will definitely check out Woods 5.

But yeah, its always sad to lose one of our brothers in metal. RIP brother, and condolensces to his loved ones and friends.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:03 pm

Gonna put Rab's post from the bitching thread here

Rab wrote:
    Bentz! wrote:
    Rab wrote:But now only to find that a good friend and a man i well respected has passed away David Gold front man to the band woods of ypres died last night in a car accident near barrie ontario

I just read that myself this morning. Very sorry to hear this. Woods of Ypres is a very underrated band.

Dude ive been supporting dave from the first pressing of agenst the season he was a guest on my radio show i reviewed his his albums. I had the honor to share the stage with him 3 years ago to remember our fallen brother adrian bromley. Most importantly i had the honor to call him my friend he was a great fucking man and this is so heartbreaking that someone so young and with so much ahead of him has been taken away

Not a band I ever checked out although I recall them being mentioned quite a few times on here. Downloading Woods 5 now. Thanks for the link. Such a shame to see another metal musician meet death too soon :cry:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:05 pm

This message from David's sister was posted on the Ultimate Metal forums. Hope its okay to share it here:

"To Davids friends: please come join friends and family to celebrate David's life on December 28th at 1:00pm-6:00pm (we will probably go later into the night). We will be having a casual get together at the Canadian Motor Inn, 410 Pim street in Sault Ste Marie. We will be having wings, pizza and of course lots of BEER... All of Daves favorites. Contact me at (705) 975-2700 if you have any questions. Also, if you have a Woods of Ypres shirt, please attend wearing it proud. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there."
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Grrr. My internet's being a piece of shit and can't download it right now. Hopefully I can get it soon
    Anka
    Petty Officer

by Anka » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:56 pm

really bummed about this, i read it this morning and the day was a sad one.... I saw them a few times live, what a great band! and great music. He will be missed, but i am thankful for all the music he's done, i have yet to check a few things and looking forward to hearing the new release
    No band request signature. Surprise me!
  • EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:20 am

mooyagi wrote:Grrr. My internet's being a piece of shit and can't download it right now. Hopefully I can get it soon

Yeah, looks like it was a limited time thing.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    Egokrusher
    Petty Officer

by Egokrusher » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:42 am

Wow. I used to keep in contact with David about playing shows around West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. This fucking sucks. WoY were a great band and David an extremely nice, well spoken friend. He will definitely be missed.
    "Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." - Epicurus

Cabin: 5571!
    Rab
    Chief Petty Officer

by Rab » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:02 am

This has been a reallly hard time for me not only was he a musician whos career i saw grow from the ground up but hte man was a friend as well

I first met dave in 2003 while he was still promoting agenst theseasons the first run my radio boss tina and i spun the hell out of that record cause legally we had to play 35% canadian materal and alot of what we had was not so great. Dave supported the hell that we supported him so much so that we were thanked in 2 of the releases and CFRE was one of the first stations in the world to get promo copies of pursuit of the sun. Threw the years i would see dave speak with him have a few drinks with him with the various shows we had. Then 3 years ago we both lost a common friend then were given the honor to share the stage together in memorial to Adrian Bromley. Dave was one of the most hard working passionate people about music and being a musician i know that is clechae to say but i cant express it any other way he would do what ever it took to make it ot the top. He would play any gig anywhere he would do any interview for any publication he would travel afar to promote and pursue new musical adventures the man was a fucking amazing person and this world is gonna be sad without him. The man had the will to give so to speak and lived by the motto of some of his own lyrics " There is not destination there is only the journey "

Goodbye my brother we will have a meeting place and time somewhere in the northern cold
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 am

sad news indeed - and for who knew him it's of course even worse!
    I've actually never heard of this band before...but I'm gonna check out a few songs later on...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Got around to listening to them for the first time today (Woods 5). Not too bad and the vocal style is cool and reminder of Pete Steele. Had to eq the album a bit so not sure if this is the final mix or what.

My two favorite tracks were "Travel Alone" and "Adora Vivos".

Travel Alone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCPCVMYKco
    Adora Vivos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPxP-MCHyQ

Pretty wild lyrics considering:

Travel Alone
    I can be thankful to be alive but I despise this life.
    in all my years, at best, have only learned just to survive.

Adora Vivos
    A moment of silence for the dead, but not one moment more
    The dead are to be forgotten, we are here to be adored
    If you're waiting for tomorrow, save yourself for another day
    But if you're living in the moment, don't wait till death to sing my praise

Hopefully peace was found. Crap way for me to discovery a band but also how I heard about lifelover.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Can't remember which song (I don't know their material), but Novembers Doom did a cover of a Woods of Ypres song in memory of David during their pool deck set.
  • ceshiwuhao
    Wiper

by ceshiwuhao » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:48 am

Had to eq the album a bit so not sure if this is the final mix or what. :death:
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:43 pm

I really only got into this band this year, but "I was buried Mt pleasant Cemetey" is one of my all time fav songs ever.
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
  • Michaeljohn
    Wiper

by Michaeljohn » Tue May 07, 2013 2:09 am

is one of my all time fav songs ever.
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm

mooyagi wrote:Can't remember which song (I don't know their material), but Novembers Doom did a cover of a Woods of Ypres song in memory of David during their pool deck set.

It was "Wet Leather". That was one of my favorite moments from the cruise.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
  • tosnmeon
    Wiper

by tosnmeon » Tue May 14, 2013 7:53 pm

the hell out of that record cause legally we had to play 35% canadian materal and alot of what we had was not so great.

by HarritHewwit » Tue May 21, 2013 3:21 am

David's passing unexpected and tragic, this was really shocking news for all his fans. As 2012 was set to be the biggest year in the history of Woods of Ypres. David Gold's final opus in "Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light" is released on Feb 2013.
  • rwalters
    Chief Petty Officer

by rwalters » Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am

Woods 5 is a very good disc. He really had something here. It's just too bad.
  • fghgfhfg
    Wiper

by fghgfhfg » Tue May 28, 2013 8:46 pm

the hell out of that record cause legally we had to play 35% canadian materal and alot of what we had was not so great.
Post Reply 20 posts Page 1 of 1