Post Reply 61 posts
Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Both?
  • Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Both?

I want to go on every UMC cruise - LOVE them!!
    33%
    Can't wait to go again, but line-up is a factor.
    38%
    May do another UMC someday, but not anytime soon.
    15%
    UMC? Been there, done that.
    2%
    Soon to be first timer, so not sure.
    12%

Total votes: 52
    Speedy
    Ensign

Re: Your Metal Festival Future: UMC, Other Festivals, or Bot

by Speedy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 am

Laura wrote:Bumping this thread because I'm curious to know the opinions of the first time cruisers like X-Thor and also the 3 & 4 timers! :P (for the 4 timers especially - is your opinion (whatever it was before) still the same?) ...and ha-ha - could there ever be such a thing as "cruise burn-out?"

Also - how many will be "blind-bookers" for 70K 2014 or Barge 2014? (Or at least book with a very small amount of bands announced). In my case, I may book blind for Barge 2014 if the date is sometime in the fall (were they talking Oct or Nov?). It's funny how far away that seems....but concerning planning ahead for a family trip of ours for summer 2014, we'll be booking rooms at a few very popular National Park lodges on Feb 11, 2013. (first day you can book for summer 2014!)

This was an incredibly awesome experience, so I'll definitely go on 70k 2014. I'm not an extreme metal fan, so you probably won't see me at any BTH.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • strha
    Crewman

by strha » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 am

I have never been on any of the 70K, but I was on the BTH. That was great. Lots of fun. Good bands. Personal favourites on BTH: Krisiun, Kampfar, Possessed and Solstafir.

I have noticed the lineup for the past 70Ks but it has always been a lack of good bands on there for me to really consider going. For me the lineup this year year was really bad. The only band I would have wanted to see was Kreator, Nile and Immolation. And I have seen those three bands lots of times before.

I will consider going on both the next BTH and 70K, but it really depends on the lineup.
    BTH-2012
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:21 am

It was a different kind of experience for me this year, as the wife wasn't with me.

I really had a blast - was it better of worse than previous cruises? I would say different. As a three-peater, I think I was a lot more comfortable talking to people this time around!!

Will I be on 2014?

I think it is probably 75% chance at this stage. Obviously since the wife missed out this time she will want to go next year (lineup dependant of course).

So definitely not a guaranteed starter - will 100% depend on the first 10 or so bands announced.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 am

My plan is to sample different metal fests around the world that appeal to me, that I haven't done yet. That's why I skipped 70k this year and am going to MetalDays, Wacken and Summer Breeze instead (and possibly Neuborn Open Air Festival). But I wouldn't like to miss 2 years in a row, so I'll probably go to either 70k or Barge.. more likely 70k since I'm not really into extreme metal, but I won't be booking blindly this time like I did for 70k '12, I'll wait for a portion of both line-ups first I think.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:08 am

@ Kevin - on some other thread people talked about the idea of booking "blind" but as you said there were at least 7 (?) bands announced "out the gate" for all the cruises. I found out about the 2011 cruise nearly three years ago April when I was seeing Amon Amarth in Chicago and happened to see on their website the news about the cruise. I was like "Metal Festival? Cruise? Out of Miami USA? Amon Amarth?" I was sold instantly!!! (However, it took me a few weeks from seeing it on the AA website to contact an out of town metal friend and get the whole thing squared away & booked). By early May we were all booked and paid in full - bam! And Kevin, as you probably remember - I think many of us were so stoked after the first cruise, we would have booked "blind"!! Ha - I'm trying to remember now who was the big draw for me on the initial announcement for 70K 2012 - I think it was Therion....but I would have booked with zero announcements! But going forward, and as I think I've mentioned on this thread and elsewhere, I'm sitting these cruises out (for a while at least) for a couple reasons, the biggest one being that other travels are taking priority in the short term (with my family - either with husband, kids, sister, parents, or various combinations of those people). The potential time frame for the next Barge (Oct/Nov 2014?) is the perfect amount of time until I'm back onbroad again! (although I'm not ruling out the Wacken cruise or some other Euro fest for 2014 - and if I do that - Barge is out.) So, time will tell! Regardless of what I end up doing it wiil all work out and to quote Joe Walsh...."They say I'm crazy, but I have a good time, lifes been good to me so far." http://youtu.be/zQ38SeV3Cbk
    Last edited by Laura on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 am

Laura,

True. I remember on day 1 of the first cruise I was asking people "would you book the next one without a single band announcement?" Everyone said YES and I would have too. You will always get some kind of announcement before they ask for money. But I guess mentally and financially planning wise, it's a book blindly kind thing :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:40 pm

I'd have a tough time going anywhere else. I've done Metalcamp x2, Wacken, Rock Harz, Graspop, Progpower x 4...but I'm getting old and none of those other fests let me party hard while always being a 5 minute stumble away from a nice soft bed in a temperature-controlled room.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:23 am

alex_canada wrote:I'd have a tough time going anywhere else. I've done Metalcamp x2, Wacken, Rock Harz, Graspop, Progpower x 4...but I'm getting old and none of those other fests let me party hard while always being a 5 minute stumble away from a nice soft bed in a temperature-controlled room.

^^^^^THIS. THIS is one of the major reasons 70k is so attractive to me.

HOWEVER.

Rockstad Falun this year is looking better and better!!

The lineup consists of - my favourite band EVER (Magnum), two bands I love I've NEVER seen live (Bloodbound, Powerwolf), several bands I love to death (Sabaton, Ensiferum, Delain, Korpiklaani).

I could probably do the festival for about $2k - but if I do that in August there is no way I can afford 70k in January.

MAGNUM is the kicker for me - if Andy can get them on 70k then I'll give Falun a miss.....
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:35 am

Unless I become rich somehow lol... I wont be doing the Barge cruises

BUT - I have been on all 3 70Ks and will ALWAYS go on them no matter what -

Sure the bands are an important factor but I trust that there will always be at least 5 bands I'd want to see and plenty of bands I never heard of that I will discover and come to love!
    I can't say it enough how amazing the cruise is and how it is THE BEST WEEK OF THE YEAR every year -

The atmosphere alone is worth it for me - you guys rock :)
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 am

Blackfhyre wrote:Unless I become rich somehow lol... I wont be doing the Barge cruises

Sure the bands are an important factor but I trust that there will always be at least 5 bands I'd want to see and plenty of bands I never heard of that I will discover and come to love!
    I can't say it enough how amazing the cruise is and how it is THE BEST WEEK OF THE YEAR every year -

DAMMIT - that was my post - I didn't realize I was logged on my husbands account... ::shakes head:: I need to be more careful!!!!!!!!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
    Blackfhyre wrote:Unless I become rich somehow lol... I wont be doing the Barge cruises

DAMMIT - that was my post - I didn't realize I was logged on my husbands account... ::shakes head:: I need to be more careful!!!!!!!!

QUIT SCREWING AROUND!!
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:25 am

I know I know - I screw around too much : )

Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:16 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I know I know - I screw around too much : )

Someone's going to lose an eye
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 pm

BUMP!!! In case any newish to oldtimer forum folk want to discuss. :)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Really looking more and more likely that I'll not be going on 70k next year.

2014 is already looking AMAZING for Australia tours - in the next few months I'm seeing Iced Earth and Elm Street, Orphaned Land, Dark Tranquillity Be'Lakor and Orpheus Omega, and Gloryhammer (3 times!). And that only takes me to the start of May!

Then strong rumours of a Within Temptation tour, and Sabaton in 2015, and that means that 70k 2015 is just not as high a 'need'.

I love hanging out with all my friends on 70k, and hope to be there again in 2016 or 2017 but yeah - next year it might be best to have a break anyway.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:00 pm

I'm in a better position now to go on as many cruises as I like. I've moved to England where it's much cheaper to travel to the US, and January being winter is quiet season so the easiest time to get time off work. In the summer I'll go to as many festivals as I can manage, probably try different ones each year. This year I'm definitely going to MetalDays, I'm hoping to go to Graspop Metal Meeting as well, and I've got my eye on Metal Female Voices Fest.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:12 pm

Conrad wrote:I'm in a better position now to go on as many cruises as I like. I've moved to England where it's much cheaper to travel to the US, and January being winter is quiet season so the easiest time to get time off work. In the summer I'll go to as many festivals as I can manage, probably try different ones each year. This year I'm definitely going to MetalDays, I'm hoping to go to Graspop Metal Meeting as well, and I've got my eye on Metal Female Voices Fest.

Sounds like a good situation!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:10 am

I will ALWAYS book 70k no matter what. It is by far the best week of each year!

BTH is not my thing as I am a weenie and not a butt metal fan!

I had planned on going to Wacken this year, purchased my tickets and everything but realize now I can not afford to fly to Europe. I am going to sell my tickets. Ugh

• metalbart13
    Wiper

by metalbart13 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 pm

I can't wait to go again but it's best to book a cabin asap, luckily there are some bands (which i really do like so far) known already, waay earlier than last year, but for the bands to be announced it's impossible to make that a factor, unless i want a really expensive room.. So not seeing that as a factor, although i'm happy already :D
  • AllisonC1978
    Oiler

by AllisonC1978 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:16 pm

This will be my first cruise..however there are a lot of the European Festivals on my bucket list (Tuska, Wacken, Graspop, etc) that going every year isn't an option..but I have decided I will do what I have to to do one "Nice" Vacation for myself every year..as I also have a lot of traveling I wish to do that doesn't revolve around metal festivals...though a lot of it could be tacked on to a trip...however..If there is an amazing lineup.....I will go..this year so far the BIG draws for me are Therion and Gravedigger
    Nighty
    Crewman

by Nighty » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:19 am

I don't have to make any decisions. For me, as a german, it's not that expensive to get to all of the good european festivals. So 70k is the only "festival" that need some money saving in advance - at the moment. So I hope there will be a few more years UMC+other festivals for me.
    70k 2013 - Cabin 2526
    70k 2014 - Cabin 4523
    70k 2015 - Cabin 3254
    70k 2016 - Deck 8