Post Reply 44 posts
How do you choose what shows and/or fests you attend?
    Laura
    Commander

How do you choose what shows and/or fests you attend?

by Laura » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm

This may sound like a really stupid question with an easy answer (I see the bands I really like)...but, for me at least, it is a bit more complicated.

For example, in early 2013, I decided that I would be highly selective in choosing what rock/metal gigs I'd attend in order to spend more time & money on various other interests, events, & pursuits. So far that has worked well I think - although my plate has still been pretty full. So much for "cutting-back." :lol:

So - this was/is my 2013 plan.....

To only see bands that:

A. are playing in my hometown or within an hour's drive to a suburb (but only under special circumstances for the suburbs)

B. I really love that I've not seen before: Stone Sour, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Royal Thunder, Animals as Leaders, November's Doom, Nine Inch Nails & New Order (Lollapalooza Day 1), & Heart
    -and/or-
    are making a rare or first U.S appearance: Anneke van Giersbergen, Heidevolk (as part of Paganfest America), How to Destroy Angels, Riverside, Pain of Salvation, & Turbonegro

b. top favorites I've seen one to many times before but wanted to see again: Kvelertak, Enslaved, Steven Wilson, Marduk, Tyr & Ensiferum (Paganfest America), Robert Plant, & Depeche Mode

c. I'm marginally interested in seeing but going primarily because of the 70K local & out of town party peeps :3drunks: attending: Ragnarokkr Day 2, Bolt Thrower

The bands listed above are either ones I've seen already this year or will see by the end of summer. The only dud/exception to the above so far was Meshuggah - I went out of curiosity and was really hoping the live show would win me over, but didn't happen. As far as the others, have enjoyed all very much so far....and that is just the rock & metal music gigs and doesn't count all the other kinds of events & performances I've attended. So, I keep very busy, but I love it all. :headbanger:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

Re: How do you choose what shows and/or fests you attend?

by Monmisreal » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm

We dont really think too much about local shows. If its something decent and about 2 hours away its fair game depending on the price. Outside of 70k, the festivals we have chosen to go to are more for the bands than anything else. If the lineup sucks then we skip or look for something else. Lucked out by doing Metalfest Croatia last year and not Metalcamp, then Metaldays this year instead of something else. For the euro trips Id like the fest to be short so we can hit up other places, but im definitely satisfied with the bands at metaldays to not care that we wont be leaving Slovenia this trip
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Festivals? Pretty much no choice locally :P We really only have Soundwave and The Big Day Out.

BDO I haven't been to in decades. Soundwave given that tickets cost $150+ for the single day festival there needs to be at least 2 bands I ADORE on the lineup that I've never seen live before.

Overseas festivals, well at the moment it really is only 70k for me at the moment. The comfort, the convenience, the camaraderie....nothing else comes close.

Local gigs - as long as the price is right we will go to anything that interests us. To get us to travel to either Sydney or Melbourne requires something a bit special - ie we went to Sydney to see Epica, and travelled to Melbourne to see Nightwish and Sabaton.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed May 01, 2013 1:13 am

I have decided that after this summer I will only go to some smaller festivals with good bands. And after 70k 2014 I'm not going to bother with the crappy lineups and all the "soon" crap anymore. I can do five or six trips to see actual good bands somewhere in Europe for the same money. Like last weekend in Essen where there was five good bands on Saturday night. That's already more bands I wanted to see than this year's or next year's 70k. Also this year's Metalcamp/days will be my last. I've been there every summer since 2009, so I think I'll do something different next year.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 am

luckily, most shows take place 20min away from where I live - so, I can really just go to all the concerts I feel like going
    there's the "easy answer" you were expecting at least from some of us ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Bloodycanadian
    Petty Officer

by Bloodycanadian » Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 am

I picked up a funny habit from when I first heard about 70k. Find something with one or two bands I've heard of, look up a bunch of the others and go anyway. Spent far too much time not doing things like that so now I got to whatever sounds interesting at the drop of a hat.
    Now let's go get banjaxxed.
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Wed May 01, 2013 6:02 am

Nice topic Laura!
    I used to go to any and every good show possible in my immediate area, with the occasional road trip on a weekend to somewhere a bit farther away (i.e. Cleveland, OH or London, ON).

Lately, I've been taking more factors into account (no particular order):
    Distance from my current location - if ti's too far, it'd have to be on weekend
    Day of the week - I've been not going to shows on weekdays so much for a while, mostly due to the fact that I sleep like CRAP, and work can be pretty demanding.
    Ticket price - If it's too expensive, I likely won't go. (Example, the recent Anthrax et al tour, ticket price seemed a bit steep)
    Bands - I've found myself leaning towards shows that have an act that I have not seen before, or the opposite, choosing not to hit a show because I may have seen the headliner a fair number of times. I would say that this factor is pretty low on my list though, as I enjoy a good show no matter what.

I'd say lumped into all that is my work situation. I may or may not be on the road, I may or may not be having to work a 60+ hour work week...

Another potential factor is people. If I know enough folks going to a show, even if it's one I'm not extremely interested in, I'll likely go, just to hang out and have a good time. That's one of the primary reasons I'm likely going to ProgPower this year, and was the main reason I went to MDF last year (even though most of you jerks bailed!)

I guess I have quite a few things that influence my decision. Since many good tours don't pass through my area quite often, I guess the top factor is just the timing of a tour with respect to location.

Man... when did I start to suck! :lol:
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Emperor-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Candlemass-/-DarkTranquillity-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 am

For me, the bands of course are the biggest reason to go or not go to a show. Depending on how I rate the band, these other factors are considered:

Distance - Every show is pretty much a 2 hour drive each way so it needs to be a show worth the 4 hours in the car. If it's a show in Tucson, I'll definitely go.
    Date - Weekends are pretty much all okay. Weekdays can be a bit tougher, especially for shows in Phoenix.
    Venue - There is one venue that is very close to going on my skip list. It has one more chance. It would have to be a band I've never seen and won't have the chance to see for a long, long time for me to go to a venue I really dislike.
    Price - Never really been an issue as most metal shows seem to be quite affordable. The most I've payed for a show was a bit over $100 for Rammstein but it was their first US tour in a decade and who knows when they'll be back. It was worth it.

When I do get the chance to finally go to another European fest the main factors will be lineup and location. I want the festival to just be one small part of a full vacation.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed May 01, 2013 8:56 am

All the shows I would go to are in Calgary (because I'm not as dedicated as Joey to drive 3 hours to Edmonton on a Tuesday to see some bands!), and I can get to all of the venues by car/train/bus/foot within a half hour.

If I've seen a bands a bunch of times, I won't go see them again.
    Date and ticket price usually aren't a determining factor.
    If I want to drink, I'll walk or take the train.
    If it's cold as hell, I'll drive.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed May 01, 2013 9:59 am

:mrgreen:
    I pretty much just go if there's bands I like playing and tickets aren't ridiculously expensive. There has to be a specific reason for me not to go like a good friends birthday party or if I'm not crazy about the band and I'm exhausted I might not. Although a couple times I've been on the fence about going and then I go anyways and it's a fantastic show so I try to just shove off my tiredness and just go. If it's a show in Edmonton on a weekday it has to be really good but whether or not I've seen them isn't too big of a factor, it definitely helps though. For a drive to Vancouver or Seattle it almost has to be at least one band I've never seen before, unless it were a dream lineup like Iron Maiden + Joe Satriani (holy crap can that please become an actual thing?). For festivals I have to fly to there has to be bands I've never seen before, that's the only way I can justify it to myself. I can't guarantee I'll go to PPUSA or Heavy MTL until I see a lineup. 70K always has an incredible lineup for my tastes so I don't need announcements for that.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed May 01, 2013 10:34 am

There''s a lot of different factors for me.I don't bother with gigs in ireland as i don't like a lot of the crowd and the beer they sell is shit and too expensive and ticket prices are unjustified.
    Always prefer to travel to other countries to see bands play.
    I stick to smaller festivals.I used to go to bigger festivals but not anymore.Too many idiots at the festivals.I don't want to have to wade through over 5k of people to get a decent view of a band live.Also sick of the same festivals booking the exact same lineup once every 2 years and the year they aren't playing those festivals they are playing at the other 50% of the big festivals.
    Thats not my idea of fun seeing the same bands every year.thats boring!

Smaller gigs and festivals also are more intimate between the band and the fans and smaller festivals generally have better lineups as it's not about the money factor.Not to mention the people going to them are much more fun to hang around with.
    Even after going to Keep it true for the first time this year i have decided i will go there every year as the lineup is always so different than the previous year.means you get to see a lot of rare bands :mrgreen:

Also country is important for me too.I refuse to go to any festival in France.I hate that language.It hurts my ears.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 am

Basically, is it in my state, is it a band I like and am familiar with, and afterwards, will there still be time left in my week to be a couch potato? That about sums up my decision process. Then again, I'm starting to lose faith in my country's sound testers and equipment maintainers (all unprofessional volunteers I hear), so I may go back to just using my iPhone.
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Wed May 01, 2013 12:49 pm

Unless I’m sick or have something else that was planned well in advance, I’ll go to just about any metal show with a band or bands I like within a one hour drive each way regardless of day of the week. It doesn’t matter if anyone goes along with me or if I know anyone who’s going to be there or not.

If the distance becomes a two/two and a half hour drive, then the factors of how much I like the band(s), how often do they tour, what day of the week (what do I have going on the next day at work), and is anyone I know going to be there all are taken into consideration. The upcoming Kreator/Overkill/Warbringer tour falls into this bucket. It’s a 2.5 hour drive on a weeknight to see bands I’ve seen many times recently, but I really like all the bands so I’ll probably end up going.

I’ll do the four hour drive each way to Chicago (or Pittsburgh) for shows I deem are a “can’t miss” show. If the show is a Friday or Saturday night, it doesn’t have to be all that “can’t miss” since we usually try to stay a night or two in Chicago and hang with our friends there as well. Chicago is a super fun town.

Festivals end up being a combination of location, lineup, cost and who’s going.
    Ragnarokkr this year was a bit of a no-brainer since it's a killer lineup of bands, it's a 4 hour drive from home and we will know a bunch of people there.

MDF brings a great lineup every year (for my tastes anyway) with many obscure/rare bands that don’t tour or play the states often. Location ain’t the best, but it’s driveable (8 hours each way) for us, so the cost is low. It’s also looking to be a nice “almost half way to 70k” get-together this year.

We did Metalcamp last year since there was a nice group of folks we knew going and the scenic location really can’t be beat. Lineup was solid, but not spectacular. It was pretty awesome to see Amon Amarth on a huge festival stage with sparks and fire flying everywhere, though. Mere also wanted to see Italy, so we did a week there after the festival since Slovenia is right next to Italy.

This year we are doing Tuska because we want to see Scandinavia and the timing worked well with my work projects. It’s a shorter festival than Metaldays, so I don’t have to use as many vacation days in order to do the festival and see some of Norway & Sweden to boot. Being able to visit friends and crash at their places is also a plus to keep costs down. The lineup for Tuska isn’t the greatest in the world, but there is King Diamond and the afterparties (Omnium Gatherum & The Resistance the first night, Evoken the second night, & Marky Ramone with Andrew WK doing Ramones tunes the final night) should be a blast!
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed May 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Awesome thread!

For my favorite bands, I will try to see them as many times in a tour as possible. This means I would travel out of NY to NJ, CT, PA, VA, MD. For the favorites, week days will have to work out in that case. (example - we saw Sabaton 6 times in one tour - was what we chose as a honeymoon). For bands I like a lot I will make exceptions for weekday shows even though they are a pain in the ass, it takes about a 1 and 20 minutes train ride to get to most of the shows. Its worth it. Sometimes we get lucky and some bands come and play at venues closer then NYC. Any bands playing on a weekend that we like or think might like we will 100% go to those shows - Don't usually go to local shows - the ones we do go to are Live After Death (the best Iron Maiden Tribute imo) and Bangledefy a band that some of our friends are really into.

For festivals - 70k is something we will always do, we can't really afford to go to any festivals overseas but really would love to one day -

pretty much we love going to shows and will go whenever we have the money and time to do so \m/

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed May 01, 2013 6:36 pm

I have to like at least 1 band enough to justify the ticket price and travel distance.
    If I've never seen the band and I like them, that's one of my biggest motivators.
    Work schedule factors in, but is sometimes worth trading shifts to accommodate the right show.
    If I've seen a band a LOT then it has to work around my schedule and be a ticket price I find fair for what I've come to expect.
    Some bands I can watch many many times and always be excited about... so my inner dialog plays a key role in my decisions as well.
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Wed May 01, 2013 8:12 pm

1. there needs to be a band I like or have some interest in
    2. Cradle of Filth and/or Slipknot must not be playing as well
    3. People I know are going
    4. Must be in Edmonton or Calgary unless it is a festival
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:3. People I know are going

Oh yeah. I forgot about that one. I usually won't go to a concert unless some invites me to come with them.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:2. Cradle of Filth and/or Slipknot must not be playing as well

I also can be dissuaded from attending a show because of certain bands playing whom I refuse to let 1 cent of my money go towards supporting
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 am

Interesting comments from everyone so far! I really did think initially that the thread topic was kinda dumb, but as everyone's answers have illustrated - there are indeed many factors that influence what shows one attends. For that matter - one could extend that question to just about any activity any of us engage in. And more & more in my own case - my goal is to prioritize activities that are novel and/or are pretty sure bets they will be A+ experiences. Seeking out novel things/activities may not always end up in A+ experiences, but more often than not, they end up that way (for me). I think that diving into something somewhat or even completely different (novel) can be rewarding in some way or another and therefore a great idea.

Some of you mentioned cost which I did not in my first post. Most metal shows I go to at smallish venues like Reggie's, Bottom Lounge & Double Door are super cheap/reasonable in my view....as low as $10-&15 to tops $30-ish. To me that is an incredible bargain. Even shows at somewhat larger venues like The Vic, The Congress & House of Blues are reasonable in my view - tops around $50 give or take. Tickets for the big draw stadium type acts (Rammstein, Rush, The Who, and many more) of course can be more expensive, but I've never paid more that $100 tops for any of those and all have been well worth it. Speaking of Rush - as much as I love Rush, they are an example of a band who I've seen a number of times over the years, and don't feel like I'm missing out in the slightest missing this or that tour or even skip several in a row. I do plan to see them again at some point, but they are low priority at the moment for me. Plus - they are like the ultimate energizer bunny band - they tour often and I can't see them quitting them any time soon.

The Rush comment leads to another couple of bands who I love dearly but have reached a saturation point gig-wise: Eluveitie, Tyr, & Ensiferum - I've seen them each seven times (and for me that is a lot) in just the past handful of years and I'm going to skip all three on future tours - at least for a few years. Kinda leaning that way with Enslaved & a few other favorites as well. Re Rammstein - I think I may choose to not see them again altogether. This may sound odd since they are one of my favorite bands, but - in their case - the two shows I saw in May 2011 and May 2012 were so perfect and ultimate for me if you will, that I want my Rammstein experience to end on that ultra high note. Plus - I had the experience the first year of sitting in the balcony for a great overall view and for the second show I was really close on the floor.
    Last edited by Laura on Thu May 02, 2013 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am

Bentz! wrote:Unless I’m sick or have something else that was planned well in advance, I’ll go to just about any metal show with a band or bands I like within a one hour drive each way regardless of day of the week. It doesn’t matter if anyone goes along with me or if I know anyone who’s going to be there or not.

If the distance becomes a two/two and a half hour drive, then the factors of how much I like the band(s), how often do they tour, what day of the week (what do I have going on the next day at work), and is anyone I know going to be there all are taken into consideration. The upcoming Kreator/Overkill/Warbringer tour falls into this bucket. It’s a 2.5 hour drive on a weeknight to see bands I’ve seen many times recently, but I really like all the bands so I’ll probably end up going.

I’ll do the four hour drive each way to Chicago (or Pittsburgh) for shows I deem are a “can’t miss” show. If the show is a Friday or Saturday night, it doesn’t have to be all that “can’t miss” since we usually try to stay a night or two in Chicago and hang with our friends there as well. Chicago is a super fun town.

Festivals end up being a combination of location, lineup, cost and who’s going.
    Ragnarokkr this year was a bit of a no-brainer since it's a killer lineup of bands, it's a 4 hour drive from home and we will know a bunch of people there.

MDF brings a great lineup every year (for my tastes anyway) with many obscure/rare bands that don’t tour or play the states often. Location ain’t the best, but it’s driveable (8 hours each way) for us, so the cost is low. It’s also looking to be a nice “almost half way to 70k” get-together this year.

We did Metalcamp last year since there was a nice group of folks we knew going and the scenic location really can’t be beat. Lineup was solid, but not spectacular. It was pretty awesome to see Amon Amarth on a huge festival stage with sparks and fire flying everywhere, though. Mere also wanted to see Italy, so we did a week there after the festival since Slovenia is right next to Italy.

This year we are doing Tuska because we want to see Scandinavia and the timing worked well with my work projects. It’s a shorter festival than Metaldays, so I don’t have to use as many vacation days in order to do the festival and see some of Norway & Sweden to boot. Being able to visit friends and crash at their places is also a plus to keep costs down. The lineup for Tuska isn’t the greatest in the world, but there is King Diamond and the afterparties (Omnium Gatherum & The Resistance the first night, Evoken the second night, & Marky Ramone with Andrew WK doing Ramones tunes the final night) should be a blast!

Do not worry ryan 20 bands yet to come to tuska, many more after party still to come
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Thu May 02, 2013 9:08 am

20 more bands? Shit, they better hurry up!

Need more Death Metal on that lineup!
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:2. Cradle of Filth and/or Slipknot must not be playing as well

I also can be dissuaded from attending a show because of certain bands playing whom I refuse to let 1 cent of my money go towards supporting

I never let a band being there stop me from going. Yes, they'll get $.50 or whatever from my ticket fee, but ill just not go in for them and disregard the fact that they are playing that night. For example, Sevendust (one of my favorites) playing with Stolen Babies (prob the worst live band i've ever seen). Why miss out on something great when you can just have more time to drink before you go in? :D
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 am

Blackfhyre wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:

I never let a band being there stop me from going. Yes, they'll get $.50 or whatever from my ticket fee, but ill just not go in for them and disregard the fact that they are playing that night. For example, Sevendust (one of my favorites) playing with Stolen Babies (prob the worst live band i've ever seen). Why miss out on something great when you can just have more time to drink before you go in? :D

with some bands, their fanbase can outright ruin the atmosphere of a show.

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Thu May 02, 2013 9:56 am

If it is a band either of us really want to see - There's pretty much a 100% chance we will get to one of their shows on the tour. We are horrible at saving money due to this lol. The last show i remember missing was a paganfest with Moonsorrow because a friend was having a birthday party where he proposed to his fiancee. We are missing Kamelot due to ProgPower but thankfully they are coming on the cruise (so we can write that one off...sorta). We're greedy fucks and refuse to miss anything! :beerbang: :beerbang: :viking:
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:with some bands, their fanbase can outright ruin the atmosphere of a show.

Very true, there were couple dickbags at the show left over from Coal Chamber opening (which i used to actually like). I cant stand the people that just punch and kick everywhere, i make it my job to harass them until they leave. But a whole show filled with those people? I could see that deterring me from going. I really agree that a crowd is a big part of the show (for example seeing a couple shows in Cleveland [SX and DT], crowds stand still with arms crossed), it was lame but would not cause me not to go.
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu May 02, 2013 11:27 am

Blackfhyre wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:with some bands, their fanbase can outright ruin the atmosphere of a show.

Very true, there were couple dickbags at the show left over from Coal Chamber opening (which i used to actually like). I cant stand the people that just punch and kick everywhere, i make it my job to harass them until they leave. But a whole show filled with those people? I could see that deterring me from going. I really agree that a crowd is a big part of the show (for example seeing a couple shows in Cleveland [SX and DT], crowds stand still with arms crossed), it was lame but would not cause me not to go.

well, when it comes to a pit, I prefer a true old school hardcore pit to a chest bumpin' brodown numetal ozzfest pit. Of course, when I say hardcore pit you probably assume I'm referring to what people think a hardcore pit is these days, but what I'm talking about is almost nonexistent now and when I say I'm pretty sure you've never seen a real hardcore pit, don't take it personally.
    I think the best example of a show I skipped because of another band was when cradle of filth toured with Type O Negative. It was the first time I ever skipped a Type O show within reasonable distance from me. And I have no regrets. Aside from Type O's last tour, they ALWAYS were a great show... but cof are on par with korn, limp bizkit, and pantera on my list of most overrrated bands in the entire genre ( I state this mostly as an opinion, though musically I feel no remorse in stating that korn and limp bizkit are objectively talentless) I tend to find the majority of the fan bases of these bands to be fairly obnoxious and I lose the sense of kinship I like to feel with others at a concert.

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

I might take some heat for this but the Black Label Society fan base can be downright ridiculous. Almost ruined both the Edmonton and Calgary shows for Judas Priest
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu May 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:

I might take some heat for this but the Black Label Society fan base can be downright ridiculous. Almost ruined both the Edmonton and Calgary shows for Judas Priest

I'd say you're on the right side of that opinion

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu May 02, 2013 1:17 pm

If I'm worried about the crowd being a bunch of douchebags I just back up a bit and watch the show rather than going near those people. Seems like a good solution to me.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Stained Class wrote:If I'm worried about the crowd being a bunch of douchebags I just back up a bit and watch the show rather than going near those people. Seems like a good solution to me.

I normally do that too however especially at the edmonton judas priest show the entire crowd was going ape shit over BLS. couldn't get away from it
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Some of the recent comments made me realize several things that have NEVER kept me from going to see a band I wanted to see, or was even a minor consideration or thought for a split-second...
    1. concern about the crowd in general or any element of the fanbase the band might draw - if there are the occasional jerks, I just try my best to stay clear of them
    2. if there is no one to go with, no one to meet up with, or the likelihood of knowing anyone at the gig is low - doesn't matter at all to me going places alone - in fact, sometimes I prefer it.
    3. not caring for the venue itself - never a consideration except the distance/travel time... If it's too far and/or inconvenient to get there by public trans, I generally don't bother (luckily that is rarely the case except for shows booked in Tinley Park & at Mojoe's in Joliet (Chicago suburbs).
    4. other bands on the bill I'm not a fan of - never an issue
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Fri May 03, 2013 1:57 am

I'm choosing first of all the bands I would like to see the most. Then, as they are principally come to the Z7 in Pratteln, it depends also of my money. I'm doing a more than 2 hours train journey to go over there, plus 1 night at the hotel and the taxis as I can't walk a lot, what cost me quite a lot of money. As I'm actually saving money for a trip to London in November, the next cruise, plus a trip to Finland, I can't go to Pratteln too often this year. Except if there's a change, the next time will be in October for Children Of Bodom (I learnt that they're coming in my hometown after I bought my ticket for the Z7 :bitch: ) :death:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 am

no big festivals next year = crappy bands ! at the moment are confident neurotic death fest, extreme fest and off COURSE Any festival where MARTIN VON DRUNEN is present
    Chris
    Petty Officer

by Chris » Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Currently, it seems the stars have to be aligned just right for me to go to any show.
    For anything that isn't a festival there has to be more than one band on it I really like and haven't seen much and it essentially has to be either in the Twin Cities or Milwaukee. The extra time to get to Chicago for me makes the trip less worth it. Excellent scene in Chicago, I just hate driving in it after having driven about 5 hours.
    Time wise things have to work out with family/job/assorted other things.
    Festivals have mostly fallen off my radar since the whole getting married/having kids thing started. BTH and now 70k work a bit better because it doubles as a vacation for my wife and I easily. Though 70k needs to start looking better for us to consider this again.
  • korpens-saga
    Oiler

by korpens-saga » Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 am

Main reason to attend any show: the bands. That's how I find about tours in the first place. I check sites of bands I want to see for the first time / would see again and I chose from there. If there's at least a band I really like on the bill, I'll go, no matter if I don't know or dislike the other bands.
    That's a bit different for festivals because they're all day long and there's tons of bands signed. I start considering a festival when there's 4~5 bands I'm interested in.

The location of the gig's also important. I can attend any show in Montreal or Quebec. Sometimes I go to Toronto or New York if it's the closest tours come. It has to be for a special band (all time favorites or one that I've never seen before) because both cities are a 6 or 7 hours drive away from where I live. I don't go farther than that except for 70K.

Price's not much of an issue because I don't spend my extra money on anything else basically XD Going alone's not a concern at all. My job's flexible about hours so I can leave early to get to gigs, as long as my workload's done. Taking days off is harder though. Another reason why I usually go to Toronto/New York gigs once a year only: it's a good 2-3 days off to plan for.
    2012 - Deck 10
    2013 - 1574
    2014 - 9538
    2015 - 9589
    2016 - 6529
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun May 26, 2013 2:11 pm

I go to pretty much any show that my friends are going to or if there is a band playing that I have even a tiny interest in. I have years of cultural hibernation to make up for so I'll go to just about anything :lol: I also go to a lot of local bands' shows because my friends play in them. Not going to any festivals unless they're in Seattle since all these local shows drain my ability to pay for out of town stuff
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun May 26, 2013 8:15 pm

^^^ :cool: I like your attitude - do what you can - while (as I say) "the gettin's good..." :P ...that is, some periods of time of one's life are more conducive to or desirable for this or that thing or activity (going to lots of gigs or whatever) than others. The type, level & quantity of my going out activities has ebbed & flowed kind of naturally over the years depending on what else was going on at the time - be it grad school twice, the time preceding and then having small children and such (do a lot, take a break, do a lot, do a lot, take a break, and so on)- I'm definitely in a flow mode now but that could change....who knows.

Quoting myself :P
    Laura wrote: ....more & more in my own case - my goal is to prioritize activities that are novel and/or are pretty sure bets they will be A+ experiences. Seeking out novel things/activities may not always end up in A+ experiences, but more often than not, they end up that way (for me). I think that diving into something somewhat or even completely different (novel) can be rewarding in some way or another and therefore a great idea.

In the spirit of what I wrote above, I bought a 4 day pass for the fest below ....
    http://www.vivalasvegas.net/

Somewhat similar to the impetus for me going to Wacken the first time (a chance meeting of a new friend at an Amon Amarth gig in 2008)...I serendipitously met a very interesting & unusual woman recently who attended Viva this year and said I really *must* go sometime. She emailed me on Saturday and said that the 2014 tickets were already on sale and she bought hers - so I said to myself - "alrighty then!" I love it when cool people who I meet for the first time are so enthusiastic & gung-ho about something. This type of random/chance meeting that results in some subsequent great experience of some sort or another has happened enough times to me in my life, that I've learned to grab the chance to do whatever it is asap. Plus, I want to go because to me it looks like ultimate big fun!! Haha - and so it goes.... :beerwink:
    torpedo20
    Petty Officer

by torpedo20 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Wow, some amazing comments guys/gals, really liking this discussion so far! :headbanger:

There were times in the not too distant past, I call them the "Dark Pop Ages a.k.a. _nu metal_" where nobody who I'd consider metal toured, just around the turn of this century. Being a desperate metalhead that I am I would drive anyplace within the range of my car to catch a very few gigs that there were. I began attending Ozzfest for all those years for that same reason, even drove to Hartford, CT once(a 10 hour drive from Toronto).
    Now, the times they'r changin' and for good! Living in the largest Canadian city has paid off:
    There are plenty of shows to choose from throughout the year and lots of great local venues that have metal bands playing. The ticket prices or venues never bothered me that much, but I do refuse to spend my money on some bands that I consider duchebags, the biggest of them being Metallica.
    Personally, I prefer smaller club venues like the Opera House in Toronto but once in a while going to a metal fest has its many advantages, too. You could share your experience with the larger metal family and enjoy all of the goodies the metal gathering has to offer(beers, food, sunshine/rain, etc.) For that reason I loved having HeavyTO fest around for the last 2 years where we would get a full weekend of great bands playing but for some reason it's not happening this summer. I was considering driving to Montreal this August for their HeavyMTL but that got derailed because Gigantour is happening on the same weekend in my home town and its lineup looks rock solid.
    As far as travelling to the gigs goes it has to be a special event or a fest that I would spend my time and money on, the latest example being Anthrax doing US tour only with their Among the Living album. I drove to Detroit to watch that and would do again if something special happening outside of my city. Never done a euro metal fest but looking to change that next summer, most likely someplace in Scandinavia so I could spend some time with my metal family up there. And, of course there is a little thing called 70k of Metal! :lol:
    Regrettably, the only thing I simply don't have energy nor time for is checking out the local bands from my area on the regular basis. I'm approaching that age where it gets harder to keep up with all the metal kids these days so I let the younglings do their thing and support the local scene.
    70,000 Tons of Metal: 2011(cabin: 6031), 2012(cabin: 2551), 2013(cabin:3023), 2014(cabin:2019), 2015(cabin:6455),2016(cabin:8369), 2017(cabin:8663), 2018(cabin:9227), 2019(cabin:2358), 2020(cabin:6703)
    Barge to Hell: 2012 (cabin: 2563)
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:cof are on par with korn, limp bizkit, and pantera on my list of most overrrated bands in the entire genre

How is Limp Bizkit overrated? I though it was just collectively agreed that they were a mistake from the early years of the century. :lol:

EDIT: Rating LB as music is overrating them, I see your point now. :P

Anyway, yes. Some fanbases can be terribly annoying. I just try to stay away from them and enjoy the music (when it's a band I don't dislike).

Last year I tried to go to as many shows as I could. This year I'm trying to save money, so I'm only going to see bands I really like and if the ticket price is acceptable (I just missed Anthrax + Testament + Moonspell + Municipal Waste + Motörhead because prices were ridiculously expensive and the venue sucked).
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue May 28, 2013 7:12 am

Sometimes I will miss a show if it is on a weekday and is too far and expensive. For example, Black Sabbath is playing 3 hours from me on a week night. Tickets were expensive and I just can't make it happen. On a brighter note I had seen Black Sabbath twice before in the past so I don't feel as bad missing them this time around.

If I could go to every single show I would - but sometimes sacrifices have to be made

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
Post Reply 44 posts