Post Reply 34 posts Page 1 of 1
Music Cruises
  • Laura
    Commander

Music Cruises

by Laura » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:46 pm

I finally took the time to read up on Sixthman Cruises http://www.sixthman.net/ who is doing the Progressive Nation at Sea Cruise and I didn't realize they've been around for several years and have done many different music cruises. This whole music cruise phenomenon seems to have really gained in popularity in recent years with cruises for many different genres & audiences.

To be honest, I was somewhat oblivious to this fact before attending 70K 2011....and was not aware of many of them until recently. So, it seems that Andy was the first to organize a full-scale metal cruise, am I right? I think it is interesting to note that Wacken jumped on the bandwagon soon after 70K was born, and now Sixthman has encroached at least a tad on 70K territory with booking bands that were bona-fide 70K "material" like Devin Townsend Project, Animals as Leaders, and perhaps some others. I just got done looking at the Shiprocked line-ups on wiki http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiprocked and that one strikes me as quite a different product altogether with the likes of Five Finger Death Punch, Papa Roach & so on. One major thing I have noticed so far is that none of these other cruises have anywhere near 70k's 40 bands - more like half that. Which begs the question - is 40 perhaps overambitious and hard to sustain over the long haul? I really don't know, just thinking about it.

And then there is Monsters of Rock, the Kiss Kruise, and on and on. Ha - when will it end?
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Music Cruises

by cowboy71 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

You raise a very valid point Laura, about the number of bands on 70k.

I think it is a good number. Any less (for me) and there would be difficult to justify the expense until the entire lineup was known.

For example, 70k 2013 had eight bands for me that were 'OMG!' type bands. That is 16 sets worth of pure awesome (along with all the other 'pretty good' bands, the awesome peeps, etc). That is worth the expense of going half way around the world for.

If you cut the number of bands to, say, 25 though.... Keeping the same ratio it might only be 5 'must-see' bands. Suddenly its a much less likely proposition. Especially if there is no bands that interest me in the early announcements.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:31 pm

There is also a Moody Blues Cruise ... several bands , people from Monsters of rock cruise being on board, and yes On and On. they have a 50's type cruise and I have seen other themed cruises on all genres of music really. But 70k is still the biggest (Heavy Metal) and music cruise per say. FOR NOW, but much competition is building as they find a profit in it :cheers: :beerhorns:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:59 am

I looked at the Monsters of Rock 2014 line up more closely and they've got about 30 main artists and then a few cover-type bands tacked on at the bottom of the poster like the Iron Maidens (ha - I know they've been talked about quite a bit here) and Cheap Thrill which I assume is a Cheap Trick cover band. It's still not 40 (or 42) that 70K has produced, though. You make a good point Dallas (and always the Statsman!) about percentages and how you (anyone for that matter) might me affected if UMC decided to ever lower the total number of bands on the 70K roster. We all know that 70K has had a very good variety of metal genres represented and I think that is a very good thing all around - haha - perhaps trying to be something for everyone? (except perhaps Grumpy Markku :P - ha, I still laugh when I think of when Markku ranked every band on the current 70K line-up *zero* and someone (mooyagi?) posted a Grumpy Cat holding a sign that said zero. :lol: )

But I digress :P ....
    Then there is the question of what niche markets can sell out a whole boat - Barge kinda tanked but that could have been at least partly due to the December date - who knows!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm mentioning this cruise here since it doesn't really justify its own thread (especially since very few if any 70K forumites would have interest in such a thing :P ). I believe it was Scott (TOM CRUISE) who sent me a link about it via facebook and I finally took the time to look into it yesterday...
    February 19-23, 2015 On the RC's Liberty of the SEAS!! ;)
    http://rocklegendscruise.com/

I've talked a lot about classic rock on the classic rock, gig and other threads over the years on this forum. What is still so endearing to me about classic rock is that it was/is the music of my (very happy) childhood and teen years and will forever be firmly planted in my soul if you will. In short, so much of the music of the (late) 60s and the 1970s is super near & dear to my heart and always will be. So, I'm thinking seriously about going on this cruise. I floated the idea with my husband last night and he thinks it sounds pretty cool. (we've done four regular cruises together including two with our kids, but he's not 100% sold on the idea of a music cruise)...so, we shall see. Lots of cabin categories are already sold out, so I need to act fast if I'm/we're serious about this. And good grief, :lol: I realized that around the time of that cruise we'll both be turning 54 - yep, we're old...which is partly why we love and relate to all these classic rock acts. ;) :lol:

Won't go into big detail on each of these groups, but in most cases I could go on at length about them, the albums/songs I loved then and still now, and so on. :P

The Doobie Brothers, Alice Cooper, Paul Rodgers,
    38 Special, The Marshall Tucker Band,
    Dave Mason’s Traffic Jam,
    Blue Oyster Cult, Uriah Heep, The Outlaws, Molly Hatchet,
    Rik Emmett, The Edgar Winter Band, Ten Years After,
    Kim Simmonds and Savoy Brown,
    Pat Travers Band, The Artimus Pyle Band, Swamp Da Wamp,
    The Blue Lords
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:34 am

My first music cruise was simple man cruise (sixth man cruise) in January 2008. Lynyrd Skynyrd Marshall tucker, blackberry smoke, zak brown band (who are now huge) and others. It was on this cruise that I had the idea for a heavy metal cruise leaving Miami . So when I heard about 70k two years later I was ecstatic !!!
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:27 pm

TOM CRUISE wrote:My first music cruise was simple man cruise (sixth man cruise) in January 2008. Lynyrd Skynyrd Marshall tucker, blackberry smoke, zak brown band (who are now huge) and others. It was on this cruise that I had the idea for a heavy metal cruise leaving Miami . So when I heard about 70k two years later I was ecstatic !!!

I remember you talking about that "Simple Man" cruise - I bet that was awesome! And Scott - I gotta say a huge thanks to you (and hugs) for giving me the heads up a while back on Facebook re the Rock Legends Cruise!! I finally got around to looking into it and I'm sold - booked a double cabin today!! What sold me was the fact that I've seen so many of the 60-something classic rock stars in recent years (The Who's Daltrey and Townsend now both in their late 60s, Robert Plant (65), Peter Gabriel (64), Gary Brooker of Procol Harum (68), Alice Cooper (66), Tommy Shaw (60) & others from Styx, Greg Allman (66), Ann (63) & Nancy (60) Wilson of Heart, Roger Waters (70), most recently the amazing Jon Anderson (69) on the Prog Cruise, and many more: loved them all!) ...and of course I realize these guys won't be around forever (nor will I for that matter), ya know? ;) )...so, I decided I want to do at least one "swan-song" kinda classic rock festival that includes some of my faves from my deep past. :P The Rock Legends Cruise 2015 totally fits the bill for me in that regard. :cool:

Although I've seen some of these bands/artists before (for example, Molly Hatchet & The Marshall Tucker Band way back when in high school in the late 70s, Paul Rodgers (with Bad Company) in college, Alice Cooper at Wacken in 2010 - yep - Wacken! that gig ruled, and Blue Oyster Cult just last December), there are several other old-time classics I've *not* seen before - in particular The Doobie Brothers, Dave Mason, Uriah Heep, Edgar Winter, and The Outlaws. This cruise will be a kind of ideal *relive the 1970s classic rock* fest for me, just as much as Norway's Hole in the Sky fest was for my (more recent) love of black/extreme metal :beerhorns: and Prog Nation at Sea was for my life-long love of progressive music. So stoked. :D :D :D :smoking: :trashdrink: :P

The Doobie Brothers
    Alice Cooper
    Paul Rodgers (formerly of Bad Company, Free, and much more)
    38 Special
    The Marshall Tucker Band
    Dave Mason’s Traffic Jam (formerly of Traffic & much more)
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Uriah Heep
    The Outlaws
    Molly Hatchet
    Rik Emmett (formerly of Triumph, etc.)
    The Edgar Winter Band
    Ten Years After (wonder if they booked them before Alvin Lee's death :cry: )
    Kim Simmonds and Savoy Brown
    Pat Travers Band
    The Artimus Pyle Band (formerly of Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    Swamp Da Wamp
    The Blue Lords
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:58 am

Just for comparison sake (since the Rock Legends Cruise I'm going on is also on the Liberty of the Seas), here are the prices & sold out categories as of today:
    http://rocklegendscruise.com/cruise-details/pricing/

Since I found out about this very recently and the tickets went on sale some months ago, I was happy to still snag a double interior on deck 8 for $1099 (plus $176 taxes & fees plus $47 gratuities).

Haven't checked Motorboat's selling status, but it will be interesting to see how that cruise/sales pan out.

Oh, and I am reminded that Wacken's Full Metal Cruise (April 2015) sold out in TWO HOURS in early February. That is the one I was originally gunning for as my 2015 music trip, but I'm now actually happy it didn't work out since that sellout opened the door for me doing something equally fun & cool (albeit in a different way). I still have FMC on my bucket list. Things always find a way of working out in the end.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:44 pm

well, Zebra was announced for MOR 2015, so looks like I am doing both 70K (with Nilay) and MOR (with my best friend from HS) in 2015.

more cruises = more better
    more MUSIC cruises = way more better!

oh, and also thnking of Metalcamp or Swedenrock 2015 with my Kid.

:cheers:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
  • Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:I was on the cruise "34,000 Tons of Metal" in 2004, between Sweden and Finland, this later became the annual Sweden Rock Cruise, that then started happening twice a year, been on it some more times too
    http://www.swedenrockcruise.com

I've also been on "Close-Up Båten" a few times, not sure when they started, though seems they were around 2007 at least. Also between Sweden and Finland.

None of these has the same amount of bands or last longer than 24 hours. But at least the Sweden Rock one happened many years before the first 70k, so metal cruises was around, albeit perhaps not really similar to 70k (other than the 34k name :D )

I was on the 34,000 Tons of Metal too :) That was an awesome cruise, my first and with very good bands! I've been to more than I can count since then, mostly close up's cruises.
    Are you going on the cruise in september, we are using it like a pre party for the 70 000 tons because this year we will be 20 + ppl going instead of this year when we were only 5 :)
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 am

^^ Interesting there was a cruise with a similar name to 70k - didn't know that - I assume Andy got the idea for the "Tons of Metal" part from that earlier one. Sounds like it was fun!

Craig - fun you're doing both MoR & 70K - I agree with your comment....more cruises, more better. :P

I just checked the Rock Legends III Cruise (also on Liberty of the Seas) that I'm booked on for 2015, and it is nearly sold out (except for one of the junior suite categories)...glad I was able to snag a fairly reasonable double a few months ago. :D
    http://rocklegendscruise.com/cruise-details/pricing/
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Allrightythen, I booked an interior double on Monsters of Rock Cruise. I'll be going to this one with a high school buddy who has never been on a cruise of ANY kind before, unfortunately Nilay won't have any vacation left so she sits MORC out :(

I booked the moment public sales started, I managed to score an interior cabin in the 2nd cheapest class which was $999+$220 fees for each person. they ofered a 5% paid in full discount so the total was $2338. There were several categories sold out before public sales began including all of the most expensive cabins and VIP packages. As of 2 hours after I booked there are only cabins in 2 categories left, all are balcony cabins on decks 10-14. Apparently those cabins make up about 1/3 of the total, but it is still pretty strong sales performance for the first day.

http://monstersofrockcruise.com/pricing-availability/

The MSC Divina is a similar sized ship tot he Liberty although the Divina is a couple years newer I believe. In any case I am really looking forward to comparing the two experiences, as well as flying the 70K colors on MORC :twisted:

Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:40 am

Just booked flights and tickets for Aqua Ruction. I'll be cruising into the new year on the Main river from Nürnberg along with Freedom Call, Cripper and three other bands I'm not familiar with. :bangers:
    http://www.aqua-ruction.com/news.html
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:44 am

Man....would love to do this.....
    http://cruisetotheedge.com/comingsoon.html

I've known about this cruise for a while (there have been several already I believe). When the first ever Prog Nation at Sea 2014 was first advertised in the summer of 2013, I much preferred the PNAS line-up, so that is what I went with (and loved it thoroughly). Since there is no plan at this point for another Portnoy/Sixthman PNAS...it seems that Cruise to the Edge may become the Prog cruise and is now incorporating some of the bands that were just on PNAS - namely Anathema, Bigelf, & Jolly (all great on PNAS btw).

At this point, I likely won't do the 2015 installment of CTTE since my 2015 travel time & funds are pretty much spoken for already. Not all is lost Prog-wise for me however....PNAS 2014 was outstanding....and I got to see one of my faves of all time (and CTTE headliner) Yes for the umteenth time (first time was 1979) this past summer in what was one of my favorites gigs ever. :cool:

*sighs* :P
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Ok - so I know that (perhaps) very few people here could care less about this cruise & the music.... :P

but yee-haw - they actually came out with a running order today & I'm stoked. (plus....* coughs* - all bands (granted, way fewer than 70K) were announced months ago, and all merch is available for sale online now for at least a few months...so, yep, such things can be done)

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 19th
    STUDIO B / ICE RINK
    6:30 pm Uriah Heep
    8:45 pm Ten Years After
    11:00 pm Molly Hatchet
    1:15 am Citizens Band Radio

PLATINUM THEATER
    7:00 pm Dave Mason
    9:30 pm Doobie Brothers
    11:45 pm Blue Oyster Cult

DECK STAGE
    5:00 pm Captain's Party (free beer!)
    6:00 pm Artimus Pyle Band
    8:15 pm 38 Special
    10:30 pm Rik Emmett
    12:45 am SwampDaWamp

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 20th
    STUDIO B / ICE RINK
    1:45 pm Rik Emmett / acoustic
    4:00 pm Melvin Seals & JGB
    6:15 pm Royal Southern Brotherhood
    8:30 pm SwampDaWamp
    10:45 pm Pat Travers Band
    1:00 am Blue Lords

PLATINUM THEATER
    11:00 am Kim Simmonds & Savoy Brown
    1:30 pm WAR
    4:00 pm Molly Hatchet
    6:30 pm Marshall Tucker Band
    9:00 pm Alice Cooper
    11:30 pm Edgar Winter Band

DECK STAGE
    11:45 am Outlaws
    2:00 pm Ten Years After
    4:15 pm Blue Oyster Cult
    6:30 pm Don Felder
    8:45 pm Paul Rodgers
    11:00 pm Uriah Heep

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21st
    STUDIO B / ICE RINK
    2:30 pm Blue Lords
    4:45 pm Blue Oyster Cult / Acoustic
    7:00 pm Kim Simmonds & Savoy Brown
    9:15 pm Doobie Brothers
    11:45 pm Marshall Tucker Late Night Jam

PLATINUM THEATER
    4:00 pm Don Felder
    6:30 pm 38 Special
    9:00 pm Outlaws
    11:30 pm Ten Years After

DECK STAGE
    10:00 am SwampDaWamp
    12:15 pm Royal Southern Brotherhood
    2:30 pm Molly Hatchet
    4:45 pm Dave Mason
    7:00 pm Edgar Winter
    9:15 pm Pat Travers Band
    11:30 pm Artimus Pyle Band

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 22nd
    STUDIO B / ICE RINK
    1:00 pm Artimus Pyle Band
    3:15 pm Dave Mason / Acoustic
    5:30 pm Don Felder
    8:00 pm Outlaws
    10:15 pm Edgar Winter Band
    12:30 am Citizens Band Radio

PLATINUM THEATER
    12:00 pm Pat Travers Band
    2:30 pm Uriah Heep
    5:00 pm Rik Emmett
    8:30 pm Steve Rodgers
    9:15 pm Paul Rodgers
    11:45 pm Royal Southern Brotherhood

DECK STAGE
    9:00 am 38 Special
    10:45 am Melvin Seals & JGB
    1:00 pm Kim Simmonds & Savoy Brown
    3:15 pm Marshall Tucker Band
    5:30 pm Doobie Brothers
    8:00 pm Alice Cooper
    10:15 pm WAR
    12:30 am Blue Lords

:whisky:
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:37 pm

actually quite a few bands on my wish I saw in their hey-day list

some on my bucket list (even though they aren't in their prime) but still won't jump (70K) ship.

and can't afford to due both :cry: :lol: still would be a nice cruise to be a part of :cheers: :beerhorns:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Laura wrote:Ok - so I know that (perhaps) very few people here could care less about this cruise & the music.... :P

Some of us old-timers would have loved to go on this... :lol:

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21st
    STUDIO B / ICE RINK
    4:45 pm Blue Oyster Cult / Acoustic

Now THAT caught my eye. BOC acoustic? That's pretty cool!
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:30 am

Whew - I think this is the longest stretch I've been away from this forum since I joined nearly 5 years ago! :shock:
    To Pellaz & DLJ, thanks for your comments above & sorry for the late reply.

So, the Rock Legends Cruise III cruise was already two weeks ago and I haven't had a chance to do any kind of a proper write-up here or on Facebook yet - but in a nutshell - it was really awesome. It pretty much lived up to all my expectations and then some - a fantastic experience all around. :D

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the various music festivals (land & sea) & gigs I've attended in the past 5-6 years and it is kind of overwhelming to me (in a good way). I know many people here attend far more US & summer Euro festivals & the like than I ever will. Upon reflection, however, this middle-aged wife & mother of two is pleased & more than content with what I've been able to pull-off music adventure/experience-wise since 2009. :P Each experience was magical in its own way with very special performances & wonderful connections with people to boot.

Rock Legends III (for me) was the ultimate rock n roll trip back to my youth in the late 60s & 70s - one giant amazing flashback. When I first saw the line-up - I knew that so I had to go. Prog Nation at Sea was similar - so many great Prog artists/bands from the past and present (from Jon Anderson to Haken) that I had to go - there was no question. RLC & PNAS were similar because of the more narrow focus musically & number of bands totaling less than 25. I must say I like that format very much because it was and is fairly doable to see every band.

70K 2011 & 2012 were AMAZING as well - but very different.

To be continued..... :P
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:53 am

Hmmmm - how come quoting a post or editing doesn't work on my iPad? Grrrr.

Anyway :P
    Dragonlord James wrote:
    actually quite a few bands on my wish I saw in their hey-day list

some on my bucket list (even though they aren't in their prime) but still won't jump (70K) ship.

and can't afford to due both still would be a nice cruise to be a part of

Jiim - I hear ya on "can't afford to do both." In the best of all possible worlds ;) - in 2015 - I would have done Rock Legends, the Wacken Cruise, 70K AND Cruise to the Edge this fall!! Simply because...
    Great Music on big boat = AWESOME!! :beerbang:
    (But - haha - maybe that would have been overkill & I'd be "cruised-out"!?)

But....one of these kinds of music trips a year is about my limit in terms of time & money - so, I've had to choose carefully. Looking back, I'm happy with the choices I made - in particular, cruise-wise - I thoroughly LOVED the bands & the overall experience on both 70Ks, PNAS, and RLC - memories to last a lifetime really! :D It was highly interesting & enjoyable to be a part of a variety of "communities" (or fan-bases, if you will) - clearly some similarities, yet differences as well. I guess I've always liked to "travel" (figuratively speaking) in and among different types or groups of people. I have a fairly diverse taste in music as well as other areas & interests in my life - so I've felt very comfortable doing that & have enjoyed the various experiences that has led me to.

I do hope to return to 70K some day, however. The good news is - it seems it will be going for several years to come & I don't suspect the format will change much - metal bands & partying :heavydrink: on boat!! We have two girls starting college in 2016 & 2017 respectively though- so I may be taking a break from such trips until 2018 ;) - as always - time will tell!! :bangers:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

How was the atmosphere on the boat during RLC? I'm assuming there was less partying and (almost certainly) less alcohol being consumed.... Were the passengers as diverse as 70K ("70 countries! Goodnight!") or was it mostly folks from the U.S.?

How much of the pool deck did they use for their pool stage? Did they use the Sphinx for anything or (wisely) leave it alone?

I'd have loved to go on RLC as well as 70K, but it had to be one or the other.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:20 pm

^^^
    Oooh, tasty questions :P

Do you want my whole "book" or the "Cliff Notes" version? :beerwink:

For now (more later), I'm gonna just copy & paste a little list I created when I looked up the ages of some of the "rock legends" who were on RLC....this may partly explain why I at age 53 was one of the youngest on RLC - not a problem (for me), mind you, but I think many on the cruise were of the "Woodstock generation." I was only 8 when Woodstock occured, but from a very young age, I very much appreciated all that early rock music and what followed in the (in my view) the "golden age of rock n roll" 1970s.
    Eric Bloom 70 (Blue Oyster Cult)
    Chick Churchill 69 (Ten Years After)
    Ric Lee 69 (Ten Years After)
    Dave Mason 68 (Traffic)
    Edgar Winter 68
    Kim Simmonds 67 (Savoy Brown)
    Don Felder 67 (The Eagles)
    Alice Cooper 67
    Mick Box 67 (Uriah Heep)
    Doug Gray (Marshall Tucker) 66
    Artimus Pyle 66 (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    Patrick Simmons 66 (Doobie Bros)
    Tom Johnston 66 (Doobie Bros)
    Paul Rodgers 65 (Bad Company)
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:34 am

Soo......about the same average age of a typical Holland America cruise. Gotcha. :lol:

(If anything, theirs might be older. As one wag put it, "HAL cruise-ships are like God's floating waiting-rooms." :twisted: )
    2025 Wishlist:
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:57 pm

yet another music cruise (so to speak) http://axesandanchors.com/

for the guitar player in you :shred:
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 am

DragonLordJones wrote:yet another music cruise (so to speak) http://axesandanchors.com/

for the guitar player in you :shred:

wow! :shock: I would actually love this!! I absolutely love watching (preferably very close) virtuoso guitar playing - always have - from the blues rock of someone like Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown (who I saw on Rock Legends) to Zakk Wylde (on this cruise!! :cool: ) who I saw last year with Black Label Society, as well as part of the all star Hendrix tribute gig. :headbanger:

But, alas, probably won't make this one - even though it would be an interesting niche cruise experience no doubt. Damn - too many cool cruises I want to check out!
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:25 am

2016 MoRC is shaping up
    Killer Dwarfs
    Helix
    Steve Vai
    Uli Jon Roth
    not bad, not bad at all :cheers:
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:51 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:2016 MoRC is shaping up
    Killer Dwarfs
    Helix
    Steve Vai
    Uli Jon Roth
    not bad, not bad at all :cheers:

Add DORO ,this is getting interesting .
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:50 pm

MORC has a drink package system. $279 for 56 beer (bottles or drafts) or wine by glass, http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=ef8 ... 1232aaf8d6 comes out to about $5 a piece. Anyone can used the voucher out of the book so it could be split or you could sell some to another person if you wanted.This is a great system because of the speed of service and end of server fraud by bartenders.Beer choices are decent also.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 am

Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu May 07, 2015 8:45 pm

Thought I'd copy & past these comments from a Bridge thread to here:

Pellaz wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:I kinda see it like this:

Monsters of Rock - older generation American audience
    Shiprocked - new generation American audience
    70000 Tons of Metal - METALHEADS
    Wacken Full Metal Cruise - European party animals :P

Yep, in a nutshell. :)

Rock Legends Cruise - even older generation American audience
    Barge To Hell - trvue grvm kvlt METALHEADS
    Prog Nation At Sea - older/newer, mostly American prog-rock and -metal fans (all 1,000 of 'em, but sadly not enough)
    ProgPower USA At Sea* - would have been about the same (and not enough), with a harder focus

----
    * offered by Sixthman, but [wisely] declined

Suppose we could also add...
    Motorboat
    and the new Axes and Anchors cruise which will debut in 2016.
    http://axesandanchors.com/about/

I'd really love to do a Wacken cruise, and had my heart set on going this year (sold out minutes before I got through the day they went on sale). I may just have to give up on that one, since it seems nearly impossible to get tickets - especially now there are a few years worth of veteran cruisers who I believe get first dibs (like 70K).

Other than that, don't have any interest in Motorboat, Shiprocked, or Monsters of Rock since I either haven't cared enough about the bands I was familiar with to want to go (mostly in the case of Motorboat) or was completely unfamilar with most of the line-up (particularly in the case of the latter two). *shrugs* ....which leaves me with 70K, PNAS, & RLC - all of which I loved in their own ways. PNAS won't happen again though, and since I just did RLC, don't feel the urgent need to do that again asap. Oh wait, there is also Cruise to the Edge which I would very much like to go on, but can't swing this year's installment (in November I believe). Also, Axes & Anchors sounds promising, so I'm gonna keep my eye on that one. And then of course there's 70K! :beerbang:
    Last edited by Laura on Thu May 07, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Good call Laura :)

And I just noticed that Def Leppard cruise! That would be awesome!!!

Mrs and I met Def Leppard (well Phil Collen and Rick Allen at least) when they toured Australia 6 or 7 years ago.

Great pair of guys - would love to hang out with them again.
    Last edited by cowboy71 on Sat May 09, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Dimma
    Petty Officer

by Dimma » Sat May 09, 2015 12:36 am

cowboy71 wrote:Good call Laura :)

Mrs and I met Def Leppard (well Phil Collen and Rick Elliott at least) when they toured Australia 6 or 7 years ago.

You met a combined drummer/lead singer Dallas! ;)
    2013 Wishlist : Doro
    2014 Wishlist : Bands
    2015 Wishlist : Money
    2016 Wishlist : Majesty
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sat May 09, 2015 6:32 am

Out of those cruises,
    70k is the only one for me.
    Motorboat is going to be hard to skip but not worth the $$$&
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Dimma wrote:

Mrs and I met Def Leppard (well Phil Collen and Rick Elliott at least) when they toured Australia 6 or 7 years ago.

You met a combined drummer/lead singer Dallas! ;)

HAHAA - whoops :P Fixed :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed May 13, 2015 8:34 am

Mrs and I met Def Leppard (well Phil Collen and Rick Allen at least) when they toured Australia 6 or 7 years ago.

Nice about meeting two of the Def Leppard guys. I have to be honest that I'm really not familiar with their music, but know they were huge back in the 80s (their heyday, right?). I was around back then, of course :P - just not listening to that kind of music so much; rather 80s New Wave, ska, punk & a bit of hard-core, classic (70s) bands, industrial, synthpop and so on. That's the main reason why I'm generally not familiar with the Monsters of Rock cruise (mostly 80s/early 90s?) bands.

Anyway, re other cruises - I've been talking with some folks in the past few days about Cruise to the Edge. I didn't think there was any way in hell I could swing doing that one this November (especially in light of a very big travel year for me)...but things are kinda aligning just right (somewhat magically I might add :shock: :cool: ), so it just quite possibly is a GO!! For an old 70s prog-head like me - this is an amazing line-up. :D :mrgreen:

• Post Reply 34 posts Page 1 of 1