Post Reply 105 posts
Albums 2014
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Albums 2014

by klons » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    krissyg89 wrote:I agree. They posted 2 songs on youtube, wolves die young and cloud factory. They are not very good. I was very hopeful, but I doubt I will be buying this album. So sad.....

Yeah. I guess we'll just have to accept that we won't be getting another good Sonata Arctica album :oops:

Five songs in.. this new Sonata is fucking garbage. :bitch:
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:29 am

klons wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    krissyg89 wrote:I agree. They posted 2 songs on youtube, wolves die young and cloud factory. They are not very good. I was very hopeful, but I doubt I will be buying this album. So sad.....

Yeah. I guess we'll just have to accept that we won't be getting another good Sonata Arctica album :oops:

Five songs in.. this new Sonata is fucking garbage. :bitch:

I'm gonna listen to the album once, I owe them that much, not expecting much though. Is it at least better than Stones?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 am

Stained Class wrote:
    klons wrote:Five songs in.. this new Sonata is fucking garbage. :bitch:

I'm gonna listen to the album once, I owe them that much, not expecting much though. Is it at least better than Stones?

I enjoyed Stones far more than this. It was just... bleh.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:21 am

klons wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    klons wrote:Five songs in.. this new Sonata is fucking garbage. :bitch:

I enjoyed Stones far more than this. It was just... bleh.

Ugh, I'll prepare for disappointment then.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 am

Ugh it was SHIT! There were 3 songs on it that were ok, the rest was CRAP. COMPLETE CRAP. They used to be my favourite band too :cry: Somehow they actually got worse after Stones, and I was pissed off after that album too!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:17 pm

klons wrote:I enjoyed Stones far more than this. It was just... bleh.

This comment scares me. Ugh
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:02 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    klons wrote:I enjoyed Stones far more than this. It was just... bleh.

This comment scares me. Ugh

You have no idea how hard it was to type :cry:
    magicgrl111
    Oiler

by magicgrl111 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:51 pm

I always like checking out the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_heavy_metal_music#Albums_expected_.2F_released.

Not all upcoming releases are on there, but the notable events section is pretty interesting. I like going to past years pages. Yay wikipedia! :headbanger:
    Absu-Behemoth-Cryptopsy-DevinTownsend-Dillinger Escape Plan-Dying Fetus-Enslaved-Gojira-Gorguts-Gwar-High on Fire-Machine Head-Mastodon-Municipal Waste-Napalm Death-Neurosis-Nile-PigDestroyer-Red Fang-Revocation-Vader

2015: Room 9682
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:52 pm

I use that list quite a lot too!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • AllisonC1978
    Oiler

by AllisonC1978 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:11 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Joakim Broden on the new Sabaton album:

I so need to stay off the boards while drinking..I busted up laughing..and Bacardi 151 up the nose just burns like hell...
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:34 pm

New Gamma Ray album "Empire of the Undead" released today, streaming now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkF-ErMn ... SF88dlWccY

I'm four songs deep, and already I think it's way better than "To the Metal". Cheesy as ever, long songs, and epic guitar solos. This sounds like classic Gamma Ray.
    Brothers.of.Metal-/-Vintersorg-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Powerwolf-/-Finntroll-/-Eisbrecher-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Teräsbetoni-/-Avantasia-/-Edguy-/-Grai-/-Astral.Doors-/-Nodfyr-/-Scarab-/-Mono.Inc.-/-Kontrust-/-Heathen.Foray-/-The.Dread.Crew.Of.Oddwood-/-Turisas-/-Deathstars
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:22 am

9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Just posted this on the listening thread....Opeth's Pale Communion. Listening to it a second time through in its entirety. I didn't have any sort of an expectation about this album - just started listening to it cold today at work. In short: a progressive rock masterpiece. Note, that I said progressive rock, because I do not consider this a metal album. Now, for me, at least, this is not a detraction in any way since I was a hard-core progressive rock fan a good thirty years prior to becoming a hard-core "metal" fan. I am loving the fact that I am listening to this wonderful Opeth progressive rock creation nearly 9 years after seeing them for the first time on the Ghost Reveries tour....the night that I was totally won over by death growls and which provoked me to dive head first into all things metal (which subsequently changed my life in many awesome ways). And this Saturday, I will be in the 3rd row center to see the band Yes (doing Close to the Edge and Fragile)...the band that was single-handedly responsible for starting my life-long love of progressive rock when I was still in grade school. Ah....Yes and Opeth will forever be two of my very favorite bands. Life is coming full circle once again. :cool:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Laura wrote:Just posted this on the listening thread....Opeth's Pale Communion. Listening to it a second time through in its entirety. I didn't have any sort of an expectation about this album - just started listening to it cold today at work. In short: a progressive rock masterpiece. Note, that I said progressive rock, because I do not consider this a metal album. Now, for me, at least, this is not a detraction in any way since I was a hard-core progressive rock fan a good thirty years prior to becoming a hard-core "metal" fan. I am loving the fact that I am listening to this wonderful Opeth progressive rock creation nearly 9 years after seeing them for the first time on the Ghost Reveries tour....the night that I was totally won over by death growls and which provoked me to dive head first into all things metal (which subsequently changed my life in many awesome ways). And this Saturday, I will be in the 3rd row center to see the band Yes (doing Close to the Edge and Fragile)...the band that was single-handedly responsible for starting my life-long love of progressive rock when I was still in grade school. Ah....Yes and Opeth will forever be two of my very favorite bands. Life is coming full circle once again. :cool:

Heritage took a lot for me to get into so I was worried about Pale Communion. I have only heard Cusp of Eternity so far and I like what I've heard. I think they might have found what they were trying to do with Heritage. Should be interesting to hear the whole album.

In unrelated news how long until we get Time II?
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:12 pm

^^^ I almost never bother to seek out or listen to leaked albums, nor do I generally attempt to buy or listen to new releases right away for that matter, even from my very favorite bands. My thinking is this: once it is released, there is plenty of time to listen & enjoy.

Buuuut.....in the case of Pale Communion...an Israeli friend who I met on the Prog Nation cruise posted a link to the album on the Prog Nation at Sea fb group today...,and I decided to take the plunge. I totally fell in love with it from the start. While generally I am a total Opeth "can do no wrong" fan girl, I most definitely prefer some Opeth albums over others. I enjoyed Heritage a fair amount for example (although I probably haven't listened to it in quite a while - a year maybe?)....but this Pale Communion immediately stands out to me as something very, very special (in my book in the world of late 20th century/early 21st century Prog rock/metal) - akin to Opeth's Blackwater Park, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, Pain of Salvation's Be, Enslaved's RIITIIR, Haken's The Mountain, Riverside's Second Life Syndrome, Spock's Beard's Beware of Darkness, The Ocean's Pelagial, Agalloch's The Mantle, Tyr's Land and perhaps just a few more.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:34 pm

taketheday wrote:
    last_candle wrote:Axxis with "Kingdom of the Night II" and 4th Dimension haven't been mentioned
    with Axxis, Voyager, 4th Dimension, Sonata, Gamma Ray, Edguy, Wintersun and probably some more - there's quite a lot to look forward to

I mentioned 4th Dimension :headbanger:

ooopsi, sorry! good to see that I'm not their only Swiss fan ;)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:38 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Image
    I'm actually hopeful for this album.

I have heard two songs now. Tony lied. No "old Sonata" sound at all. Running out of hope very quickly. :roll:

c'mon! it's at least halfway back to the roots - and even more importantly: the album rocks big time! love it!
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Gotta agree with last_candle.

Pariah's Child - some of the songs are a bit ...."all over the place".... but I'm very happy with it!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:14 am

cowboy71 wrote:Gotta agree with last_candle.

Pariah's Child - some of the songs are a bit ...."all over the place".... but I'm very happy with it!

"all over the place" :D I know exactly what you are talking about - I wouldn't know how to describe it any better!
    if it wasn't that good - they'd fail big time...but it is that damn good
    wishlist '20:
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrULHAdyqBg

Preview of Crimson Shadows' upcoming album Kings Among Men.

re: Sonata. I couldn't stand it - horribly disappointed. That said, I haven't given it a chance since the week it got released, should probably give it a last chance before they get here in September.
  • 70001tonsofmetal
    Wiper

by 70001tonsofmetal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:20 am

Hey guys, new on here...very eager to hear the new Cannibal Corpse. I know everybody considers them mainstream and all, but Pat O'Brien is one heck of a song-writer and Webster too. These guys are top drawer. Torture had some really good shit and I don't think they'll run out of ideas just yet on this next one. And quality tends to fluctuate really. I thought Bloodthirst was huge, then Gore Obsessed not as good, then Wretched so-so, then Kill excellent, then Evisceration good, then Torture good...but I mean there's no pattern or specific curve, it really fluctuates and they always offer new songs, new riffs...something fresh somehow.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:54 am

Laura wrote:^^^ I almost never bother to seek out or listen to leaked albums, nor do I generally attempt to buy or listen to new releases right away for that matter, even from my very favorite bands. My thinking is this: once it is released, there is plenty of time to listen & enjoy.

Buuuut.....in the case of Pale Communion...an Israeli friend who I met on the Prog Nation cruise posted a link to the album on the Prog Nation at Sea fb group today...,and I decided to take the plunge. I totally fell in love with it from the start. While generally I am a total Opeth "can do no wrong" fan girl, I most definitely prefer some Opeth albums over others. I enjoyed Heritage a fair amount for example (although I probably haven't listened to it in quite a while - a year maybe?)....but this Pale Communion immediately stands out to me as something very, very special (in my book in the world of late 20th century/early 21st century Prog rock/metal) - akin to Opeth's Blackwater Park, Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, Pain of Salvation's Be, Enslaved's RIITIIR, Haken's The Mountain, Riverside's Second Life Syndrome, Spock's Beard's Beware of Darkness, The Ocean's Pelagial, Agalloch's The Mantle, Tyr's Land and perhaps just a few more.

I think pale communion is a very interesting entry in Opeth's burgeoning discography. "River" really stood out as one of the most interesting and creative tracks I've ever heard by them. Gospel, Allman Brothers-esque melodies, and some funky proggy leads to round out the song.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:57 am

last_candle wrote:ooopsi, sorry! good to see that I'm not their only Swiss fan ;)

No problem :mrgreen: They have probably more Swiss fan :cool:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624

http://www.bandspromo.biz/home.html
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:19 pm

The Canadian Freak just posted this

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 am

new Ne Obliviscaris "Citadel" to be released November 7 (Nov 11 in the U.S.)
    8=================D
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
Post Reply 105 posts