Post Reply 52 posts
2013 AOTY and Year End Contenders
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

Re: 2013 AOTY and Year End Contenders

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:38 am

So, here it is, my Top 10 of 2013:

1. Shai Hulud - Reach Beyond The Sun (Metal Blade)
    2. Nightfall - Cassiopeia (Metal Blade)
    3. Kalmah - Seventh Swamphony (Spinefarm)
    4. Carcass - Surgical Steel (Nuclear Blast)
    5. Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed (Prosthetic)
    6. Heaven Shall Burn - Veto (Century Media)
    7. Death Ray Vision - We Ain't Leavin' 'Till You're Bleedin' (Bullet Tooth)
    8. Darkane - The Sinister Supremacy (Prosthetic)
    9. Hypocrisy - End Of Disclosure (Nuclear Blast)
    10. Powerwolf - Preachers Of The Night (Napalm)
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:18 am

I forgot this one for some reason

Chthonic - Bu'tik
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 am

Ecliptica wrote:I'm the only person who really, really liked Avantasia's 'The Mystery of Time'. . .

easy easy .. do not fear on in this ocean of grunts... I'm here for the rescue..
    well I think is not the best Avantasia's album and I think I was expecting more from it but definitelly some good songs there including my now fav Avantasia's song and one of my fav songs in all history: Saviour In The Clockwork so really good stuff.. I'm afraid to say ..some of the other songs a little mediocre for my tastes
    Frozen Crown-Therion-Iced Earth-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Powerwolf-Nanowar of Steel-Alestorm-Wintersun-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-Kalmah-Skeletonwitch-Mago de Oz-LuciferianLightOrchestra-Scepticflesh
  • TheSalamanizer
    Crewman

by TheSalamanizer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 pm

I always have a hard time remembering what came out this year, and haven't listened to much towards the end of the year. But I have this:

Towards the top, but in no order:
    Carcass
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Kalmah
    Scale the Summit
    Soilwork

After those:
    Amon Amarth
    Battlecross
    Cloudkicker

Need to listen more first:
    Dethklok (Doomstar Requiem)
    Misery Signals
    Revocation
    Rotting Christ
    Skeletonwitch
    Tyr

Based on the other lists and other websites I have a lot I didn't listen to at all, like Deafhaven, Gorguts, and The Ocean
    2015 - cabin 9375
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Captain Alex wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:I'm the only person who really, really liked Avantasia's 'The Mystery of Time'. . .

easy easy .. do not fear on in this ocean of grunts... I'm here for the rescue..
    well I think is not the best Avantasia's album and I think I was expecting more from it but definitelly some good songs there including my now fav Avantasia's song and one of my fav songs in all history: Saviour In The Clockwork so really good stuff.. I'm afraid to say ..some of the other songs a little mediocre for my tastes

Tbh the album that I really love from them is the Wicked Symphony.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Here is my album of the year! HANDS FUCKING DOWN! (and like you guys, I listened to a TON of albums this year).

Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Suidakra made my top 10 this year as well, that's the only change since I posted my list.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 pm

With that said, here are some of the other albums this year that I really enjoyed:

ALL PIGS MUST DIE - Nothing Violates This Nature
    Amiensus - Restoration
    Anciients - Heart of Oak
    Antigama - Meteor
    Black Cap Miner - The Formative Years
    Black Crown Initiate - Song of the Crippled Bull
    Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
    Byzantine - Byzantine
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum
    Clutch - Earth Rocker
    Condition Critical - Operational Hazard
    Craven Idol - Towards Eschaton
    Dead In The Dirt - The Blind Hole
    Defeated Sanity - Passages Into Deformity
    Divinity - The Immortalist, Part One - Awestruck (EP)
    Exhumed - Necrocracy
    Exivious - Liminal
    Extol - Extol
    Fallujah - Nomadic (EP)
    Feared - Vinter
    Fit For An Autopsy - Hellbound
    FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE - Labyrinth
    Gorguts - Colored Sands
    Hail Of Bullets - III: The Rommel Chronicles
    Haken - The Mountain
    Hate - Solarflesh
    Hatesphere - Murderlust
    Hatred Surge - Human Overdose
    Hatriot - Heroes of Origin
    Hypocrisy- End of Disclosure
    In Solitude - Sister
    Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
    IRON REAGAN - Worse Than Dead
    Izegrim - Congress of the Insane
    Jungle Rot - Terror Regime
    Kadavar - Abra Kadavar
    Killswitch Engage - Disarm the Descent
    Mammoth Grinder - Underworlds
    Man Must Die - Peace Was Never an Option
    The Modern Age Slavery - Requiem For Us All
    The Monolith Deathcult - Tetragrammaton
    Mors Principium Est - ...And Death Said Live
    Nails - Abandon All Life
    Necrophobic - Womb of Lilithu
    Nekroflith - Devil's Breath
    Nero Di Marte - Nero Di Marte
    Nocturnal Graves - ...From the Bloodline of Cain
    Noisem - Agony Defined
    Oblivion - Called to Rise
    The Ocean - Pelagial
    Onslaught - VI
    Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
    Orator - Kapalegnosis
    Orchid - Mouths of Madness
    A PALE HORSE NAMED DEATH - Lay My Soul To Waste
    Persefone - Spiritual Migration
    Perversifier - Perverting the Masses
    Pestilence - Obsideo
    Philip H. Anselmo & The Illegals - Walk Through Exits Only
    Power Trip - Manifest Decimation
    Primitive Man - Scorn
    Pro-Pain - The Final Revolution
    Protest The Hero - Volition
    Pyrithion - The Burden of Sorrow (EP)
    Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
    Quest of Aidance - Misanthropic Propaganda
    Ramming Speed - Doomed to Destroy, Destined to Die
    Revocation - Revocation
    Rivers of Nihil - The Conscious Seed of Light
    Robot Lords of Tokyo - Virtue and Vice
    Scale The Summit - The Migration
    Shaded Enmity - Forsaken and Forgotten
    Skeletal Spectre - Voodoo Dawn
    Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed
    Soulless - In Death's Grip
    Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
    Stomach Earth - Stomach Earth
    Strychnia - Reanimated Monstrosity (EP)
    Svart Crown - Profane
    Take Over And Destroy - Endless Night
    Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
    Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
    Vhol - Vhol
    Vicious Rumors - Electric Punishment
    Violator - Scenarios of Brutality
    Vorum - Poisoned Void
    Warbeast - Destroy
    WATAIN - The Wild Hunt
    Weekend Nachos - Still
    Witherscape - The Inheritance
    Wormed - Exodromos

Oh and BTW, thank you to any of you that introduced me into any of these fine albums this year! Cheers to you! :cheers:
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Ok I have decided what my favorite metal albums were this year.

5 STARS
    1. Haken - The Mountain
    2. Leprous - Coal
    3. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
    4. DGM - Momentum
    5. Scale the Summit - The Migration

4.5 STARS
    6. Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
    7. Ihsahn - Das Selenbrechen
    8. Orphaned Land - All is One
    9. Protest the Hero - Volition
    10. Summoning - Old Morning's Dawn

4 STARS
    11. Witherscape - The inheritance
    12. Starkill - Fires of Life
    13. Anciients - Heart of Oak
    14. Soilwork - The Living Infinite
    15. Carcass - Surgical Steel

3.5 STARS
    16. Revocation - Revocation
    17. The Ocean - Pelagial
    18. Tesseract - Altered State
    19. Wolfchant - Embraced by Fire
    20. Caladan Brood - Echoes of Battle
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 am

Not an album but a recent contender i have found for last year is an E.p.
    Stallion - Mounting The World.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BNiWXTI ... dL7Z4zQyyC
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm

1.Death Angel - The Dream Calls For Blood- easily my favorite of the year
    2.Onslaught - VI - this one was surprisingly good
    3.Motorhead - Aftershock - everyone complains he puts out same album over & over but I love each of his releases, people take Lemmy for granted IMO.
    4.Amon Amarth - Deceiver of the Gods
    5.Sodom - Epitome Of Torture
    6.Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
    7..Carcass - Surgical Steel
    8.Autopsy - the Headless Ritual
    9.Saxon - Sacrifice
    10.Megadeth - Super Collider _ Im huge Megadeth fan, this was somewhat disappointing

11.Deicide - In The MInds Of Evil -Ive been Meh on their most recent releases, but I really liked this one
    12.Soulfy - Savages
    13.Hell - Curse And Chapter
    14.Black Sabbath - 13 - (see Megadeth)
    15.Metal Church - Generation Nothing

Didn't receive/listen to Satan's Life Sentence yet should be receiving in mail shortly
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:24 am

There are still several 2013 albums I haven't listened to yet (including many on other people's lists that I need to get to!).... But for now, I've got to add a few to my top list from earlier (Scale the Summit & The Ocean):

Top Favorites of 2013 so far.... :D

Daft Punk: Random Access Memories
    Haken: The Mountain
    Kvelertak: Meir
    The Ocean: Pelagial
    Riverside: Shrine of New Generation Slaves
    Scale the Summit: The Migration
    Satyricon: Satyricon
    Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories)
    Tesseract: Altered State

I'm seeing The Ocean & Scale the Summit tomorrow night at a small club in my neighborhood. According to setlist.com, The Ocean is performing Pelagial in its entirety (!!), and StS is doing 6 out of 10 songs from The Migration. I am 1000% hooked on these two albums. I must say it took me awhile to become accustomed to The Ocean's harsh vocals (more a fan of Akerfeldt, Host of Taake, Nergal, & Erlend of Kvelertak type of thing), but now after listening to Pelagial 25 or so times - wow - they put a huge capital C back in the idea of epic Concept Album. Like Tales of Topographical Oceans by Yes, I suspect I will continue to hear something new & engaging with every play, no matter how many times I hear it. This is the kind of music that can single-handedly lift my spirits instantly. Great stuff this music "drug" is.

And btw, Haken performed much of The Mountain on the ProgNation cruise (full review coming sooooon - as in Andy soon - haha). That's another incredible beauty....seriously.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!