Post Reply 18 posts Page 1 of 1
Metal is taking over the airwaves!
    audrey
    Petty Officer

Metal is taking over the airwaves!

by audrey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:13 am

Little by little, I believe we are conquering all! I thought it would be cool to post links that support this statement. However "uncool" some may think that metal becoming mainstream is, I would love to see it have a heavier impact on society. I mean, how could that be wrong?

GWAR is performing on Jimmy Fallon tonight. Very cool.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=155667374474642&id=6192564885
    AlestormHail of Bullets/Asphyx/11th HourTurisasDark FortressDying FetusVomitoryHeidevolkArkonaDeeds of FleshImmortalAura NoirKalmahInsomniumWarbringerHoly GrailHavokEvileAnthraxMoonsorrowAmorphisUnleash The ArchersTriptykonThyrfingStormlordSatyriconPrimordialNaglfarEntombedWintersunEnslavedAbortedLeaves EyesPrimal FearManegarmVreidKampfar
    KevinP
    Commander

Re: Metal is taking over the airwaves!

by KevinP » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Obituary is played every so often on one of the "bumpers" coming back or going to commercial on the Howard Stern show over the years.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:05 pm

I was surprised then amused then horrified by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIiMA1-W70

must EVERYONE sell out?

well, I guess old metal heads have to prepare for retirement $$$$

BUT COME THE HELL ON, A MINIVAN COMMERCIAL!!!!!!!
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Disaster Area wrote:I was surprised then amused then horrified by this:

must EVERYONE sell out?

thats nothing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpTUJ3XVsRM
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:26 pm

must EVERYONE sell out?

NOW I figured it out!!!! Thanks Craig! For 2 weeks or more I've been trying to figure out what song that was... it's been driving me fucking NUTS!!!! I just couldn't place it for the life of me. The day I saw that commercial it was frickin' pissing me off that I couldn't recognize it. :evil:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Wow! I fucking love both of those!

I long ago lost any illusions of metal being any different from any other genre in regards to the ppl who play it being artists like anyone else and art is a business. If you can sell it for what you think is fair trade, who cares what it's marketing unless it's infant poison or whale bombs or something.

The fact that buddy from Grim Reaper can still make a buck with that cool voice and that, umm, face, is nothing short of fucking awesome! I love that they pretty much did a whole metal video for that spot. Too bad they didn't get the guitarist who wrote/played the musical part to perform in the video. That guys mocking was just really bad whenever the camera got within 10 feet :lol:

In terms of the point that Audrey's post raises, one thing I've found interesting is how much the metal sound has made it's way into things like pro sports telecast intros and other promotional sound bites. These are cultural realms that would never have dreamed of being associated with metal or its fans but when they need a riff to pump up the viewers while someone does a pro-wrestling style voice over, who do they turn to? NOT fucking Yaanni I 'll tell ya that much :lol:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Steve Grimmet-- Garmin?? WOW..
    Great points Rob,...I actually try to catch any Dallas Stars game on tv---I remember hearing NightWish during one of the breaks... Carolina has good tunes too
    Well I guess when Pantera wrote a fight song for the Stars --they want some fun metal to jam too..
    Here in Edmonton.. we get 20 yr old dance tunesa and Fishing in the Dark....... :shock: :shock: :shock:
    now listening to Grim Reaper vids from links to the commerciall...
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 pm

8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:48 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:Here in Edmonton.. we get 20 yr old dance tunesa and Fishing in the Dark...

Yeah man, you're telling me. My Canucks have been hitting the ice to the sound of U2's 'Where the Streets Have No Name' for about 5 years now. I'm not a U2 hater but FFS, get something with some balls!! :evil:

vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:55 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Jaimie38 wrote:Here in Edmonton.. we get 20 yr old dance tunesa and Fishing in the Dark...

Yeah man, you're telling me. My Canucks have been hitting the ice to the sound of U2's 'Where the Streets Have No Name' for about 5 years now. I'm not a U2 hater but FFS, get something with some balls!! :evil:

Yeah not much better with the Flames, however they do sneak a few good Zeppelin, Ozzy or Aerosmith songs. The heaviest I ever hear them play at them is Drowning Pool, how effing lame is that? I enjoy going to some of our lacrosse games when I get a chance though (Roughnecks) they play music (90% rock and metal) throughout the game not just between plays. Its actually pretty good.
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:57 pm

vikingbitch wrote:I enjoy going to some of our lacrosse games when I get a chance though (Roughnecks) they play music (90% rock and metal) throughout the game not just between plays. Its actually pretty good.

Sweet! I used to go to Coquitlam Adanacs / New Westminster Salmonbellies games all the time when I was younger.

vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:09 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:I enjoy going to some of our lacrosse games when I get a chance though (Roughnecks) they play music (90% rock and metal) throughout the game not just between plays. Its actually pretty good.

Sweet! I used to go to Coquitlam Adanacs / New Westminster Salmonbellies games all the time when I was younger.

That's awesome! Is lacrosse big at all in Vancouver? Hard for a lot of sports like lacrosse to even compete with the hockey mania in our cities, our poor soccer and baseball teams that we had never had a chance. The lacrosse is my favorite after it, bit of a break from hockey and a HELL of a lot cheaper than it, games are easy to get into if your familiar with or used to play lacrosse, decent music through out and although probably wouldn't be much of a perk/incentive for you Shoreslayer but the eye candy isn't bad either when watching the games :lol:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:35 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:Steve Grimmet-- Garmin?? WOW..I remember hearing NightWish during one of the breaks.

Louisiana State University football has been coming out to the introduction of 'Amaranth' by Nightwish this season, but I don't know if you can hear it on TV or just in the stadium :cool:
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:43 pm

I went to Game 5 of the Coyotes/Red Wings playoffs last April and the intro music was a Volbeat song... they also played Pantera (the usual) and Slayer. I noticed in the Pittsburgh Penguins' stadium though, they played Dimmu Borgir and Slayer. :headbanger:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:07 pm

must EVERYONE sell out?

No biggie.. only Judas Priest.... they are considered classic right? no big deal if them or Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica, Megadeth do anything like that now... now if it was some band like Behemoth or something.... then I could see the point.

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:37 pm

vikingbitch wrote:That's awesome! Is lacrosse big at all in Vancouver?

I haven't followed it in years and I rarely if ever hear any advertising for it so I guess the answer is no. I don't enough know enough about how the league(s) are set up to know if Coquitlam or New West would ever play against Calgary in regular season or even tournament (probably just tournament I would guess though).

As for eye candy, no, players wouldn't likely do it for me unless it was a co-ed league. Although I did have a little fun messing with a female co-worker's mind here last night.

We had a bit of a crazy, violent incident that required the police to attend. It was quite tense and she had never been through anything like it but handled herself like a pro. One of the cops was a huge, well built guy and clearly young and handsome. So, after the dust cleared and we were debriefing all that happened, I totally straight-faced played it up that I was distracted and thinking of asking the cop when his calendar comes out and a few other subtle things (like at one point I said, "Damn!" the way I would about a hot female. I'm pretty sure all my co-workers can tell I'm hetero but it was quite funny to see her face sort of go from laughing with me to being not so sure to just plain confused. To make matters worse, some other professionals stopped by afterward and one was a hot young Asian female. Shortly after they left, my co-worker asked me a question that I wasn't sure of and I just replied by saying, "If we need to know right away, I'll call <woman's name> back and get HER to come show us", then just sort of raised my eyebrows, smiled and walked away to do some work in another part of the house. Poor girl :lol:

audrey
    Petty Officer

by audrey » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:50 am

Heabymetawhunta wrote:

must EVERYONE sell out?

thats nothing -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpTUJ3XVsRM

THAT is amazing!
    AlestormHail of Bullets/Asphyx/11th HourTurisasDark FortressDying FetusVomitoryHeidevolkArkonaDeeds of FleshImmortalAura NoirKalmahInsomniumWarbringerHoly GrailHavokEvileAnthraxMoonsorrowAmorphisUnleash The ArchersTriptykonThyrfingStormlordSatyriconPrimordialNaglfarEntombedWintersunEnslavedAbortedLeaves EyesPrimal FearManegarmVreidKampfar
    zummazumma
    Petty Officer

by zummazumma » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:02 pm

One of the theme songs for the Capitals - DC Hockey Team - is a DragonForce song.
Post Reply 18 posts Page 1 of 1