Post Reply 14366 posts
What are you listening to right now?
    bangers
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: What are you listening to right now?

by bangers » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:06 am

Nargaroth - Seven Tears Are Flowing To The River
    Winging it in the west (Western Australia that is)
    Room 3612
    Black Metal - The best metal - Emperor FOREVER
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:32 am

DragonLordJones wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:^^^ thanks for the info Joey - I wonder if they were playing opposite someone else I wanted to see more? Don't have my schedule handy, so not sure. Reminds me of a comment on fb today - someone wondered how the hell they missed Candlemass at Wacken and I reminded him C was opposite Immortal and he's like oh, yeah - right! ;)

Thought I should start getting into an Agalloch mode since I'll see them on Sunday :D - so I'm on the first of 3 albums of theirs that I own - going in date order - oldest to newest - so first up is The Mantle. :D

Laura their first show was on pool deck at 8 ... Destruction played at 8:30 in the spectrum first day
    second show was in spectrum at the same time as Amon last day at 12:30 :cheers:

Gee thanks Jim - you and Joey sure have been helpful in helping me reconstruct my cruise itinerary! :P :cheers: But seriously...now that I have the running order in hand...it's all coming back to me. ;) :P
    I remember choosing to see Destruction that night at 8:30 pm over Nevermore because Destruction's next gig was at 3:13-4:00 am on Wednesday and at that point I didn't know if I was going to be able to make that one being so late and all - as it turned out I did see both Destruction gigs and loved them both! And then, I also remember thinking I might skip the second AA gig and see Nevermore then....but then Amon Amarth was SO great that first night, I had to see them a second time for the pool deck gig. :viking: Ha - decisions, decisions, decisions - it was a challenge at times deciding who to see! I bet other people here had that problem as well at times. ;) All in all, though, I'm pretty happy with the way it all worked out. I kinda wish the cruise could be one extra day with the same amount of gigs so there would be fewer overlaps.

Btw Jim - your mention of the song Cleveland Rocks made me think of The Drew Carey Show! :lol: :cheers:

now listening to....
    Melechesh: Ladders to Sumeria
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtsyDyr5vs
    a friend posted this link this morning on my fb wall and I like it!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:09 am

tyrwoman wrote:now listening to....
    Melechesh: Ladders to Sumeria
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWtsyDyr5vs
    a friend posted this link this morning on my fb wall and I like it!

Melechesh is Awesome ( or for Anika: "THEY SUCK LIVE"). You missed them when they played Chicago (with Rotting Christ, Hate, Abigail Williams, and Lecherous Nocturne) because you were seeing Yes.
    You could have also seen some shirtless, corpsepainted Polish dudes at the show (Hate). Meredith also has added Rotting Christ to her "good looking dudes" band list. You may have missed out on some fodder for the "For the Ladies" thread. ;)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 am

^^^ oh, Bentz! :lol: (you know me pretty well by now!)

"shirtless corpsepainted Polish dudes"? :beerhorns: Damn! Instead I got to see 63-year-old (who looks more like 75) Yes bassist Chris Squire wearing tight black legging type pants :roll: and 63-year-old guitarist Steve Howe looking more trollish than ever! :? But they are SUCH awesome musicians and I LOVE Yes music....so, I wouldn't have missed seeing them for the ump-teenth time for any other band. :beerwink:

* google images "Hate" and "Rotting Christ." ;) :trashdrink:
    Last edited by Laura on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:47 am

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Almost 21 minutes of epic music :headbanger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB3Y38r7Zmc
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:12 am

Kiuas - Lustdriven

I don't think its out yet but its just as good as any other album by them (except the Spirit of Ukko, that was fucking epic)
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:24 am

Riot - Warrior
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 am

Leading off biggest run day to date with...

Vicious Rumors - No Fate
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:07 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Leading off biggest run day to date with...

Vicious Rumors - No Fate

Hey I'm about to do a run too! :cheers: We will have to compare notes or something lame like that. :lol:

Listening to Arkona - Гутсулка before starting.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:12 am

Vicious Rumors - No Fate

Good luck with the run! Hey, I thought of you today because the latest news on the Hole in the Sky site is titled "In Doom We Trust" and is followed by the announcement of Saint Vitus and Devil. I know you've got Saint Vitus in your sig and have mentioned them - what are your fave albums of theirs? Also, Devil sounds interesting - described as "Norway's finest purveyors of True Heavy Doom Metal. Do you know of them?
    http://www.myspace.com/devilband
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:31 am

tyrwoman wrote:

Vicious Rumors - No Fate

Good luck with the run! Hey, I thought of you today because the latest news on the Hole in the Sky site is titled "In Doom We Trust" and is followed by the announcement of Saint Vitus and Devil. I know you've got Saint Vitus in your sig and have mentioned them - what are your fave albums of theirs? Also, Devil sounds interesting - described as "Norway's finest purveyors of True Heavy Doom Metal. Do you know of them?
    http://www.myspace.com/devilband

re run: Thanks! Went great!

re Doom additions: I've never heard of Devil so will be checking them out momentarily. Not much by Saint Vitus I DON'T like (as with most bands I tend to really like, I like it ALL lol) but I think Born To Late is a great starting place. Anything pre-C.O.D. (Children of Doom) is worth familiarizing yourself with as you won't likely hear much if anything from the '92 - 2002 era since Wino wasn't in the band for those efforts. Some great tunes on C.O.D. in my opinion but not the greatest production and don't really measure up to when Weinrich was fronting the band.

NP: Vicious Rumors - Against The Grain (Love the intro)

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Sneak preview of 2 new tunes from local female fronted metal kids Unleash The Archers.

Let me know what you aficionados think:

City of Iron

Dawn of Ages

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:56 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:I like it ALL

Don't go stealing Laura's catch-phrase :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:17 pm

KevinP wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:I like it ALL

Don't go stealing Laura's catch-phrase :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Well, it makes sense though...

Even though Laura and I have VERY different tastes in music from about the 80's onward, especially in terms of our absolute faves, we're very similar in that I think we're both very open-minded music fans. Like Jake and others here, we tend to look for the good in everything we listen to and consciously focus on that as opposed to hating on bands or entire sub-genres and excluding stuff too readily.

And that's not a criticism against more discerning listeners either. I think it's great that many fans stay more 'true' to what they like, know what they don't like and don't bother with stuff that's not right in their musical wheelhouse too much. I've learned a lot from the Power and Death metal threads that I wouldn't have if not for the fans who are so dedicated to their knowledge in these areas.

I won't speak for Laura or anyone else but I guess you could criticize me as being a less discerning fan as I just don't pick songs apart and analyze them the way I once did. I've been too pleasantly surprised by far too many artists that, at one point, I never would've even bothered with but who've turned out to be some of my favourites of all time. And then there's those albums that just sound like crap at first listen but then grow on me over time and wind up residing in my 'classics' category. I guess the cost is listening to lots of crap from time to time and maybe being considered less than a 'true' fan but the payoff makes it all worthwhile.

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:37 pm

^^^ Wow - that is one hell of a great piece of writing / expression! *claps*
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm

tyrwoman wrote:^^^ Wow - that is one hell of a great piece of writing / expression! *claps*

Typical, I'm straight and to the point he rambles on for 20 minutes. Yet I'm the one who can't shut up "in the flesh". Talk about a role reversal. :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:51 pm

KevinP wrote:
    tyrwoman wrote:^^^ Wow - that is one hell of a great piece of writing / expression! *claps*

Typical, I'm straight and to the point he rambles on for 20 minutes. Yet I'm the one who can't shut up "in the flesh". Talk about a role reversal. :mrgreen:

:lol: Now don't you go knockin' my ramblin' partner here on this forum! Kinda true what you said though. ;)
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:57 pm

KevinP wrote:

lol, no kidding

Maybe if you could shut up and breathe for 60 full seconds in real life ya might be surprised how much others have to say ;)

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 pm

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:01 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote: ya might be surprised how much others have to say ;)

You assume that I give a crap what others have to say. :lol:
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:22 pm

KevinP wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote: ya might be surprised how much others have to say ;)

You assume that I give a crap what others have to say. :lol:

LMFAO!

Touche` :beerwink:

Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:29 pm

All That Remains - For We Are Many - album on the way home from work.

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:11 am

tyrwoman wrote:Agalloch: Desolation Song (The Mantle)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ8cIn8s ... ata_player

...for about the tenth time today...strange since I've listened to the The Mantle more than a hundred times at least...and for some reason this last track really struck me today. Singer/songwriter John Haughm has got to be one of the most brooding and melancholy types I've ever come across in music - I like that deep emotion very much! Haven't read much about him or watched interviews with him - so don't know where it's all "coming from" - but I think the music / feeling is very amazing nonetheless.

Agalloch always puts me in this mood like I'd be lying on a meadow right next to a forest
    (but I have to confess that I only know the Mantle)

np: Agaloch - You Were But A Ghost
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

4th Dimension - Everlasting
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 am

Eluveitie - Nil :shred:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:58 am

Daenerys wrote:Eluveitie - Nil :shred:

I assume you have a Cheese Fondue along with it ;)

np: Alice Cooper - No Baloney Homosapiens
    wishlist '20:
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:53 am

last_candle wrote:

I wish! Swiss fondue is epic :D Just don't be the person to drop the first piece into the pot :lol:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:55 am

At work again on a Saturday. At least I get paid overtime.
    Listening to Hail of Bullets' On Divine Winds album.
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:01 am

last_candle wrote:np: Alice Cooper - No Baloney Homosapiens

The early '80's Cooper strikes again! :beerwink:
    As a big fan of Alice Cooper, those "lost albums" of the early 80's are fun to go back to once in a while, but I prefer the stuff from the 70's and the "hair metal" stuff from the mid/late 80's over those albums. Gimme Constrictor with Kip Wringer (that's how it is on the booklet I have) on bass!
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:58 am

just got my new Amon Amarth - deluxe/limited edition Surtur Rising .......... not much to say yet just flopped it in the old player :cheers: :beerhorns: :viking: :shred:
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:00 am

DragonLordJones wrote:just got my new Amon Amarth - deluxe/limited edition Surtur Rising .......... not much to say yet just flopped it in the old player :cheers: :beerhorns: :viking: :shred:

Did you give it a listen? What do you think? I've listened to it a bunch now, and my verdict is that I love it. I just put it on, actually, too! :D
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:42 am

ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    Did you give it a listen? What do you think? I've listened to it a bunch now, and my verdict is that I love it. I just put it on, actually, too! :D

Like it a lot ... didn't get to fully enjoy it as my brother stopped over and interrupted my listening pleasure. but yes I do like it. the figurine and shirt that came with it are pretty cool also ............. now to find time to watch the dvd :cheers: :givebeer: :viking:
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:
    ragnaröks_roller wrote:

Like it a lot ... didn't get to fully enjoy it as my brother stopped over and interrupted my listening pleasure. but yes I do like it. the figurine and shirt that came with it are pretty cool also ............. now to find time to watch the dvd :cheers: :givebeer: :viking:

Figurine? Photo please?

My friend and ex-husband came over and interrupted my first full-thru listen. I told him to keep quiet and listen -- then started it from the beginning! He started to lose focus around the third song and I gave up trying to give it my undivided attention. Sheesh, not being totally excited about new Amon Amarth -- no wonder our marriage didn't stand the test of time! :lol:
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:56 pm

My upstairs neighbors are hosting a Mexican-themed party tonight. I don't really know what they're planning for music, but given what was on for their last party I'm scared. It did occur to me to burn a CD with Mexican metal bands in hopes it would get some play-time, but I don't think they'd be too into it, so I'm going with Linda Ronstadt's "Canciones Por Mi Padre" albums, as I think they're terrific. I'm listening to them now trying to pick which songs to put on. You don't have to like what's she's done, necessarily, but no one can argue that Linda Ronstadt doesn't have an amazing voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WegVR-meXO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qI-UPzq_uI&feature=related
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:40 pm

gnoff wrote:Rammstein - Wollt ihr das bett in flammen sehen?

That's a great one - especially the live performance in Live aus Berlin.

Made me want to listen to Ohne Dich by Rammstein
    I'd link it but my mobile internet connection is for shit right now while I'm out and about. :evil:
    Anyway - great song!
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    last_candle wrote:

I wish! Swiss fondue is epic :D Just don't be the person to drop the first piece into the pot :lol:

...or the second...or the third ;)

Bentz! wrote:
    last_candle wrote:np: Alice Cooper - No Baloney Homosapiens

The early '80's Cooper strikes again! :beerwink:
    As a big fan of Alice Cooper, those "lost albums" of the early 80's are fun to go back to once in a while, but I prefer the stuff from the 70's and the "hair metal" stuff from the mid/late 80's over those albums. Gimme Constrictor with Kip Wringer (that's how it is on the booklet I have) on bass!

right now, I'm getting into Dada, an album I really get to enjoy a lot
    but Constrictor will always remain one of my favorite Cooper albums; don't make me rank'em, but it's definitely in my top5 (along with Killer, School's Out, Trash and Hey Stoopid)
    wishlist '20:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:32 pm

^^^ Alice Cooper has a lot of great material but am I the only one who holds the Love It To Death album up there?

It may be just that The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is probably my favorite Cooper song.... just my ramblings...
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Ravenlord wrote:^^^ Alice Cooper has a lot of great material but am I the only one who holds the Love It To Death album up there?

It may be just that The Ballad Of Dwight Fry is probably my favorite Cooper song.... just my ramblings...

You're certainly not the ONLY one as I'm a big fan of Is It My Body (performed a few times with a friend) and ya gotta love Black Juju and that great tribal drum feel. Was it the first album to include a song titled Hallowed Be Thy Name? I wonder. That said, Goes To Hell is still my all time fave and it rarely gets any love in any Alice conversations I hear/read. :cry:

DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:44 pm

ragnaröks_roller wrote:Figurine? Photo please?

http://www.indiemerchstore.com/item/11754/
    Image :cheers:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Don't have the album yet but here's a listening party stream for it!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/music/1497
Post Reply 14366 posts