Post Reply 880 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by sageoftruth » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    Got Battle Royale in my movie queue. I just gotta get around to watching all the stuff I have ahead of it :lol:

bump it up... is really great

Just be careful of who you watch it with. It has no discretion shots or any of the other wussy risk-free stuff which I heard gave Hunger Games its PG-13 rating. I'm certainly not planning on seeing the Hunger Games movie, but my sister is strongly recommending I read Hunger Games. I've been looking for something to fill the gap while I wait for George Martin's next book, but I'm feeling a bit deterred by the way Hunger Games is categorized as "Young Adult Literature". Has anyone on the forums read it?
    Last edited by sageoftruth on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:09 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    Got Battle Royale in my movie queue. I just gotta get around to watching all the stuff I have ahead of it :lol:

bump it up... is really great

Just be careful of who you watch it with. It has no discretion shots or any of the other wussy risk-free stuff which I heard gave Hunger Games its PG-13 rating. I'm certainly not planning on seeing the movie, but my sister is strongly recommending I read Hunger Games. I've been looking for something to fill the gap while I wait for George Martin's next book, but I'm feeling a bit deterred by the way Hunger Games is categorized as "Young Adult Literature". Has anyone on the forums read it?

yeah, be careful about watching it with Kate... she might get ideas haha (will make more sense after you watch it)
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm

I'll keep that in mind :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:43 pm

I started reading 'The Hobbit' again - after all, it has been 20 years since I first read it
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:58 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:bump it up... is really great

Just be careful of who you watch it with. It has no discretion shots or any of the other wussy risk-free stuff which I heard gave Hunger Games its PG-13 rating. I'm certainly not planning on seeing the movie, but my sister is strongly recommending I read Hunger Games. I've been looking for something to fill the gap while I wait for George Martin's next book, but I'm feeling a bit deterred by the way Hunger Games is categorized as "Young Adult Literature". Has anyone on the forums read it?

yeah, be careful about watching it with Kate... she might get ideas haha (will make more sense after you watch it)

now I need to watch it :lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:52 am

gnoff wrote:
    last_candle wrote:I started reading 'The Hobbit' again - after all, it has been 20 years since I first read it

It's a good book!
    Probably been some 3 years ago since I last read it, should get at it again pre-movie

...though I do not know if it's really for the better; I didn't really care about the changes in the LOTR movies because my memories weren't that accurate anyway...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am

gnoff wrote:From Swedish Death Metal

Third printing 2011

Chapter Six: The reigning years of Swedish death metal

page 190:

"Entombed had become huge, and it was such a good time hanging around with them on that tour. Apart from Örnsköldsvik [an utterly boring and worthless place in the north of Sweden, mostly known for breeding ice hockey players like Peter Forsberg], all gigs were very well attended and you could really feel that the Swedish scene had exploded. And Entombed ruled that scene." - Peter Ahlqvist, Uproar/Tid är musik/Burning heart

HAHAHAHAAHAH

I liverd in Örnsköldsvik at the time, and all I can say is:
    FUCK yes he's pot on, hahhahaa

I did not go to taht Entombed gig and neither did any of my friends, we probably didn't even know it was happening

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(this was 1991, I was either in junior high if spring, or freshman in high school if fall, I was focused almost 100% on Guns n' Roses)

Örnsköldsvik is one of the most difficult names to pronounce of any city i know of! i can *sort of* say it the correct way...
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:02 pm

last_candle wrote:
    gnoff wrote:
    last_candle wrote:I started reading 'The Hobbit' again - after all, it has been 20 years since I first read it

It's a good book!
    Probably been some 3 years ago since I last read it, should get at it again pre-movie

...though I do not know if it's really for the better; I didn't really care about the changes in the LOTR movies because my memories weren't that accurate anyway...

I think I'll watch the movie then read the book, so I'm not comparing the movie and the book the whole time
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    last_candle wrote:...though I do not know if it's really for the better; I didn't really care about the changes in the LOTR movies because my memories weren't that accurate anyway...

I think I'll watch the movie then read the book, so I'm not comparing the movie and the book the whole time

I'll probably read the book again to get reacquainted with the story. I don't plan on seeing the movie until both parts are released, and even then, will probably wait until the inevitable extended versions come out, like LOTR.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:52 am

gnoff wrote:
    last_candle wrote:
    gnoff wrote:It's a good book!

well yes, some of the changes in the movie were unneccesary, and some were outrageous, some I can understand was for making the movie work.

But yeah, I re-read the LOTR books (again) right before the first movie, whish was sort of a bad idea, since you thought more of the changes than teh awesome quailties of the actual movie.

I read the books after the first movie, so in between the movies being released but still liked the movies
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:53 am

gnoff wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:I think I'll watch the movie then read the book, so I'm not comparing the movie and the book the whole time

I'll probably read the book again to get reacquainted with the story. I don't plan on seeing the movie until both parts are released, and even then, will probably wait until the inevitable extended versions come out, like LOTR.

FAIL!

One must see the first movie at LEAST three times at the cinema, then sit around and whine about the next one not being out for a full year, then watch the next one at least three times at the cinema!!

yes!

Sounds about right
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 pm

gnoff wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:
    gnoff wrote:FAIL!

One must see the first movie at LEAST three times at the cinema, then sit around and whine about the next one not being out for a full year, then watch the next one at least three times at the cinema!!

yes!

Sounds about right

yeah!

First lotr I saw 4 times, second three times at cinema.

Just before 3rd was released saw the extended versions of first two back to back at the cinema, then watched 3rd three times.

And own both movie versions and extended of all three films.

I'm a :ugeek: for sure!

I still need to buy the extended versions on DVD
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:19 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    gnoff wrote:From Swedish Death Metal

Third printing 2011

Chapter Six: The reigning years of Swedish death metal

page 190:

"Entombed had become huge, and it was such a good time hanging around with them on that tour. Apart from Örnsköldsvik [an utterly boring and worthless place in the north of Sweden, mostly known for breeding ice hockey players like Peter Forsberg], all gigs were very well attended and you could really feel that the Swedish scene had exploded. And Entombed ruled that scene." - Peter Ahlqvist, Uproar/Tid är musik/Burning heart

HAHAHAHAAHAH

I liverd in Örnsköldsvik at the time, and all I can say is:
    FUCK yes he's pot on, hahhahaa

I did not go to taht Entombed gig and neither did any of my friends, we probably didn't even know it was happening

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(this was 1991, I was either in junior high if spring, or freshman in high school if fall, I was focused almost 100% on Guns n' Roses)

Örnsköldsvik is one of the most difficult names to pronounce of any city i know of! i can *sort of* say it the correct way...

I bet I pronounce it correctly every time I sneeze :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:22 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

I bet I pronounce it correctly every time I sneeze :lol:

it is remarkably like a sneeze! especially the second syllable. one who doesn't know Swedish has no idea how hard the 'sköld' part is to say...throaty!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:07 am

KDibildeaux wrote:I still need to buy the extended versions on DVD

I randomly found them for about $10 a pop one day. I love Newbury Comics!
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:24 am

OMG! You guys! The Twilight books... you guys! SO. AWESOME.
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:24 am

seems like reading the book now is indeed not the wisest move - because I truly did not care for most changes in the LOTR movies
    with most changes I was just like "oh, I do not remember that" (like the elves at Helm's Deep)

ok Gnoff, four times is indeed :ugeek: -ish
    ...I only saw FOTR three times, TTT twice and TROTK once in the theater
    (...and then again recently all three with live orchestra/choir - that would make a total of 4/3/2)

there's no way I can wait to see part one until the second part comes out!
    wishlist '25:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:35 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:OMG! You guys! The Twilight books... you guys! SO. AWESOME.

You could totally date some Twilight moms! :lol:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 am

last_candle wrote:(...and then again recently all three with live orchestra/choir - that would make a total of 4/3/2)

there's no way I can wait to see part one until the second part comes out!

Wow! That sounds amazing!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:10 am

I'd love to see a live performance like that.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Finally started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:Finally started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

i've been told i need to read that!

201 Swedish Verbs is SOOOOOO exciting though.....
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:16 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:Finally started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

i've been told i need to read that!

201 Swedish Verbs is SOOOOOO exciting though.....

I'm reading it in English hehe
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Woosh! :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:21 pm

mooyagi wrote:Woosh! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously am reading a book called 201 Swedish Verbs (and their conjugations). fan-fucking-tasting reading let me tell you!
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:23 pm

WizardBeast wrote:

seriously am reading a book called 201 Swedish Verbs (and their conjugations). fan-fucking-tasting reading let me tell you!

Oops :oops:. Kinda made sense though, since TGWTDT is Swedish, I believe............... :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:27 pm

KDibildeaux wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

Oops :oops:. Kinda made sense though, since TGWTDT is Swedish, I believe............... :lol:

it is in swedish! (det är skrivet på svenska!)
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

"The Way of the Jedi" - guidebook to becoming and being a Jedi.

I have come to the very strong conclusion that I would either make a TERRIBLE Jedi or I would be on a fast track to become the biggest baddest bitch of the Siths :lol:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:53 am

vikingbitch wrote:"The Way of the Jedi" - guidebook to becoming and being a Jedi.

I have come to the very strong conclusion that I would either make a TERRIBLE Jedi or I would be on a fast track to become the biggest baddest bitch of the Siths :lol:

HAHAH! the dark side awaits you!
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:09 am

gnoff wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I'd love to see a live performance like that.

I'd pay good money for that!
    shit I'd fly to somewhere for that!

...and it would be worth every cent
    wishlist '25:
    BadMetalKitty
    Crewman

by BadMetalKitty » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:53 pm

Gigantic Death Worm, by Eriks friend Vince Kramer

This whole book so far makes me *face palm*
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:56 am

BadMetalKitty wrote:Image

With a cover like that, it's gotta be good!
    BadMetalKitty
    Crewman

by BadMetalKitty » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:36 am

AlaskaRachel wrote:
    BadMetalKitty wrote:Image

With a cover like that, it's gotta be good!

You know...its not too bad, There are giant deadly bears that spit rabid wolves, in it!!!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 am

BadMetalKitty wrote:
    You know...its not too bad, There are giant deadly bears that spit rabid wolves, in it!!!

Was this written by the guy who made Axe Cop?
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:23 am

I've finished Man's Search for Meaning and am now reading a manga called Blade of the Immortal

I've really been enjoying it. Great characters, traditional Japanese culture, and a villain whom you really have trouble rooting against. There was one torture scene, however, which I was a bit too squeamish to handle. I recalled it last night and couldn't fall asleep until I managed to purge it from my thoughts.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 am

sageoftruth wrote:II recalled it last night and couldn't fall asleep until I managed to purge it from my thoughts.

Sometimes I need a good :wank: before bed too
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

mooyagi wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:II recalled it last night and couldn't fall asleep until I managed to purge it from my thoughts.

The best diversion for the mind.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

The best diversion for the mind.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:51 am

I just decided to take a break from my manga to read a book recommended by a stranger at the train station (he was impressed by my Victor Frankel book so I knew he had some credibility).

It's called "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill.
    The author made it pretty clear that this would be more like a textbook than fun reading, but "Man's Search for Meaning" was a lot like that. My only complaint so far is that he spent the first 20 pages talking about how useful his outlook on life is without saying anything about it. I was thinking "Alright already! I bought your book. You don't need to convince me. Spill the beans already."
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm reading "The Internet is a Playground" by David Thorne. For those that don't know him, he's this guy: http://27bslash6.com/
    His book is basically a collection of his site entries, but there are a few new stories. It's pretty funny
Post Reply 880 posts