Post Reply 880 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by nekrobarr » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 am

viathyn wrote: As for the food items I just listed, those are just commonly mentioned foodstuffs in the ASOIAF book series... can't say I've ever had lamprey pie or cooked lemon cakes, but several horns of ale sounds pretty damn good about now.

I just recalled seeing THIS at Barnes and Noble maybe 2 months ago. Can't say I glanced at the contents, but I imagine it makes lemon cakes within your reach!
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Since I very recently decided to try to do a trip next year that has been long on my “bucket list” - The Burning Man Festival in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada (August 26-September 2, 2013) http://www.burningman.com/ – I checked out these three books today from where I work to learn as much as I can about it. I actually had not known about this fest at all until I had worked here several years and the occasional library patron would come in and ask for books about it and such…. since then it has intrigued me and I’ve wanted to go for many years now. Anyway, this fest seems like it would be quite the amazing experience, and I'm stoked even thinking about the real possibility of finally going! My cabinmate from the first 70K (who I met at Wacken in 2009) is interested in going as well –the hardest part will be getting tickets, so we’ll see….if not in 2013, maybe 2014. (I like to plan ahead!) Gnoff’s 70K cabinmate Ulrike from Sweden said on facebook in response to a post I made that she has been twice! :cool:

2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 am

Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust

There is a reason why I love this author, his writing is just so damnably clever. If you see ANY of his books I highly recommend checking him out.
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm reading this:
    It's really interesting, even though I don't agree with all of the author's points.
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:57 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust

There is a reason why I love this author, his writing is just so damnably clever. If you see ANY of his books I highly recommend checking him out.

Hmmm will have to check it out! With an Amazon description of "a goddess, a wizard, an enigmatic talking stallion, and a very hungry dragon" I'm already sold on it
  • Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 am

I'm surprised I got myself to start reading another Tolkien book after the Silmarilion, but I am reading the Hobbit now and its a refreshing change.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:58 am

Laura wrote:Since I very recently decided to try to do a trip next year that has been long on my “bucket list” - The Burning Man Festival in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada (August 26-September 2, 2013) http://www.burningman.com/ – I checked out these three books today from where I work to learn as much as I can about it. I actually had not known about this fest at all until I had worked here several years and the occasional library patron would come in and ask for books about it and such…. since then it has intrigued me and I’ve wanted to go for many years now. Anyway, this fest seems like it would be quite the amazing experience, and I'm stoked even thinking about the real possibility of finally going! My cabinmate from the first 70K (who I met at Wacken in 2009) is interested in going as well –the hardest part will be getting tickets, so we’ll see….if not in 2013, maybe 2014. (I like to plan ahead!) Gnoff’s 70K cabinmate Ulrike from Sweden said on facebook in response to a post I made that she has been twice! :cool:

I remember reading about burning man in this Wired article in '96 (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.11/burningman.html). That was back in the old days when it was not nearly as big of an event. From what I read about it now I don't get as excited about what it has evolved to as when I first heard about it. I'm sure it is still an awesome experience though. You mentioning it just reminded me of when I first discovered it back in the 90s, and I thought I would share. let me know how it compares to the experiences in the early article.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Jebus_Cripes wrote:I'm surprised I got myself to start reading another Tolkien book after the Silmarilion, but I am reading the Hobbit now and its a refreshing change.

:lol: Quite a difference in level of effort required in reading those two books.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    BadMetalKitty
    Crewman

by BadMetalKitty » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:03 pm

LMAO

• Jebus_Cripes
    Chief Petty Officer

by Jebus_Cripes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Jebus_Cripes wrote:I'm surprised I got myself to start reading another Tolkien book after the Silmarilion, but I am reading the Hobbit now and its a refreshing change.

:lol: Quite a difference in level of effort required in reading those two books.

Yeah I found it so surprising how different the writing was and then I read that the Hobbit was written for his kids so it made a little more sense.
    2014 WL: Kalmah\Dark Tranquillity\Amon Amarth\Blind Guardian\Insomnium\At the Gates\Before the Dawn\Be'Lakor\Dark Age\Omnium Gatherum\Hypocrisy\Suidakra\Scar Symmetry\Skyfire\Gojira\Ghost\Swallow the Sun\Wintersun\Gardenian\Immortal\Rotting Christ
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Jebus_Cripes wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Yeah I found it so surprising how different the writing was and then I read that the Hobbit was written for his kids so it made a little more sense.

yeah, the Silmarilion is hard to read because of the nature of it being an anthology of history and isoften very dry
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:33 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Jebus_Cripes wrote:
    mooyagi wrote: :lol: Quite a difference in level of effort required in reading those two books.

yeah, the Silmarilion is hard to read because of the nature of it being an anthology of history and isoften very dry

All of the elvish names get confusing after a while
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 pm

I just got done reading Mark Evan's "Dirty Deeds" book. Mark was the original bass player in AC/DC and this is really the first time someone inside the AC/DC camp has spoken about the band. Mark tells a good tale and it's interesting to read about Bon and how the other guys in the band were. He also has had a very intersting life with many triumphs and tragedies beyond AC/DC.
  • rambof07
    Wiper

by rambof07 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:08 am

I love books and recently i am reading a romantic love story. And my favorite is romance and second horror.
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 am

rootleaf wrote:
    Laura wrote:Since I very recently decided to try to do a trip next year that has been long on my “bucket list” - The Burning Man Festival in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada (August 26-September 2, 2013) http://www.burningman.com/ – I checked out these three books today from where I work to learn as much as I can about it. I actually had not known about this fest at all until I had worked here several years and the occasional library patron would come in and ask for books about it and such…. since then it has intrigued me and I’ve wanted to go for many years now. Anyway, this fest seems like it would be quite the amazing experience, and I'm stoked even thinking about the real possibility of finally going! My cabinmate from the first 70K (who I met at Wacken in 2009) is interested in going as well –the hardest part will be getting tickets, so we’ll see….if not in 2013, maybe 2014. (I like to plan ahead!) Gnoff’s 70K cabinmate Ulrike from Sweden said on facebook in response to a post I made that she has been twice! :cool:

I remember reading about burning man in this Wired article in '96 (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.11/burningman.html). That was back in the old days when it was not nearly as big of an event. From what I read about it now I don't get as excited about what it has evolved to as when I first heard about it. I'm sure it is still an awesome experience though. You mentioning it just reminded me of when I first discovered it back in the 90s, and I thought I would share. let me know how it compares to the experiences in the early article.

Thanks for the link. As with any long-term festival or "event" - they evolve and change (and often get bigger) - certainly Burning Man is no exception since its early roots go back to the mid-80s. Even having read a fair amount about it, I'm still having a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around what it would actually be like to experience. Like I mentioned earlier, just getting a ticket is a challenge apparently. So, it's a wait and see whether I can and will actually do this fest next summer or wait till 2014. Right now, I'm a bit pre-occupied with planning a big family trip out to Montana for early August 2013, but am still keeping Burning Man 2013 in late August on the front burner. :P
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:03 am

KDibildeaux wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:yeah, the Silmarilion is hard to read because of the nature of it being an anthology of history and isoften very dry

Yeah, I remember trying to tackle that one. I can't remember how I got sidetracked, but it's true, the names can be difficult. I had the same problem with Romance of the Three Kingdoms. All those one-syllable names, like Wei Yuan, Cao Cao, Lieu Bei, etc. just seemed to mesh together, especially with characters who shared a first or last name. I guess names are a big problem for me in books with lots of characters. Thank goodness for Dyansty Warriors.
    Right now, I started reading a book called Ming. It was definitely set in traditional China, and I was looking to learn more about China, so I bought it. It turned out to be a basic romance with questionable history. I also got Journey to the West on Amazon.com, but I forgot to see where it was coming from. It turns out it won't be arriving until early November.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:10 am

sageoftruth wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:yeah, the Silmarilion is hard to read because of the nature of it being an anthology of history and isoften very dry

Yeah, I remember trying to tackle that one. I can't remember how I got sidetracked, but it's true, the names can be difficult. I had the same problem with Romance of the Three Kingdoms. All those one-syllable names, like Wei Yuan, Cao Cao, Lieu Bei, etc. just seemed to mesh together, especially with characters who shared a first or last name. I guess names are a big problem for me in books with lots of characters. Thank goodness for Dyansty Warriors.

Yeah, that novel is enormous and spans a few generations :lol: If I didn't know some backstory from the games it would have been much more difficult.
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Laura wrote:
    rootleaf wrote:

Thanks for the link. As with any long-term festival or "event" - they evolve and change (and often get bigger) - certainly Burning Man is no exception since its early roots go back to the mid-80s. Even having read a fair amount about it, I'm still having a bit of a hard time wrapping my mind around what it would actually be like to experience. Like I mentioned earlier, just getting a ticket is a challenge apparently. So, it's a wait and see whether I can and will actually do this fest next summer or wait till 2014. Right now, I'm a bit pre-occupied with planning a big family trip out to Montana for early August 2013, but am still keeping Burning Man 2013 in late August on the front burner. :P

I thought you might enjoy an older perspective on it. Even though I don't think I'd put the effort out to track down a ticket to it, if you said you had an extra ticket for me for sure I would still go in a heartbeat. I think it would be a wonderful experience for anyone. I just don't have it high on my priority list anymore. it is probably something you could just go there with nothing at all and find a way in and have a great time. If I was going, I'd just go and hope to find the kindness of others to get me in. If they don't embrace that then they are probably missing the spirit of the whole thing anyway.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:44 pm

What's on my Ballot? Arizona's general Election Guide

and

Citizens Clean Elections Commission Statewide and Legislative Candidate Statement Pamphlet

Fun times :lol:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 pm

Finally finished 'The girl with the dragon tattoo'. Not bad!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:13 am

mooyagi wrote:What's on my Ballot? Arizona's general Election Guide

and

Citizens Clean Elections Commission Statewide and Legislative Candidate Statement Pamphlet

I'll give that a look right after finishing my book, "The Paint That Dried".
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 am

sageoftruth wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:What's on my Ballot? Arizona's general Election Guide

and

I'll give that a look right after finishing my book, "The Paint That Dried".

I'll send you a copy :lol:

It's nice to be able to get a heads up on what will appear on the ballot out here.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 pm

At the zombie walk we were approached by someone who told us that the Pima Library was giving away free books. Most seemed pretty goofy but I managed to score Terry Pratchett's Sourcery. Hopefully it's awesome :D
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:57 am

I'm about 2/3 of the way through A Storm of Swords.

All I have to say is... goddammit.
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 am

nekrobarr wrote:I'm about 2/3 of the way through A Storm of Swords.

You are in for quite the surprise(s).

I am now on book 8 of The Wheel of Time (The Path of Daggers). All I can say is this is one of the finest pices of literature I've ever read.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Hehehe. I've always loved the way Martin toys with his fans; you never know who's going to be alive at the end of the books ;) At least you still have 2 more books to go before you run out of material; then the real torture begins - the waiting. I started reading Martin in 2001, so I had to wait FOUR years for his 4th book, and then another SIX years for the 5th. It was awful :evil: Really hoping he doesn't take that long for the last two.
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Daenerys wrote:

Hehehe. I've always loved the way Martin toys with his fans; you never know who's going to be alive at the end of the books ;) At least you still have 2 more books to go before you run out of material; then the real torture begins - the waiting. I started reading Martin in 2001, so I had to wait FOUR years for his 4th book, and then another SIX years for the 5th. It was awful :evil: Really hoping he doesn't take that long for the last two.

I cannot imagine the pain of waiting over four years just to get A Feast for Crows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 pm

My friends and I now lovingly refer to it as "A Storm of Sobs".
    </3
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Samhain wrote:

My friends and I now lovingly refer to it as "A Storm of Sobs".
    </3

--
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Daenerys wrote:

As I started to read the first book, a buddy of mine told me not to get attached to anyone, as they're probably gonna be dead at some point in the story. I'd say that as I progressed, I did end up empathizing with most of the Starks. Definitely a bit mistake on my part!
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Emily
    Crewman

by Emily » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:14 pm

I recently scored a copy of "The Iliad" at a second hand store for $3 that I'm looking forward to starting this weekend. For the past couple of years, I've been a sucker for classics, though try as I might, I can't seem to finish "The Epic of Gilgamesh." It's just so impossibly dry and tedious.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Emily wrote:For the past couple of years, I've been a sucker for classics, though try as I might, I can't seem to finish "The Epic of Gilgamesh." It's just so impossibly dry and tedious.

Uh oh, that one's on my list of things I'd like to read. Better get ready for a long slog when I finally get around to it. :lol:
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:32 pm

X-Thor wrote:

You are in for quite the surprise(s).

I am now on book 8 of The Wheel of Time (The Path of Daggers). All I can say is this is one of the finest pices of literature I've ever read.

Great stuff, I'm just rereading Towers of Midnight in preparation for the last book. ToM has 3 or 4 amazing sequences. I can't remember what book it was, but it was one of the few books ever to get a verbal reaction out of me when something unexpected is teased
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Emily
    Crewman

by Emily » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Emily wrote:For the past couple of years, I've been a sucker for classics, though try as I might, I can't seem to finish "The Epic of Gilgamesh." It's just so impossibly dry and tedious.

Uh oh, that one's on my list of things I'd like to read. Better get ready for a long slog when I finally get around to it. :lol:

Hahaha, I'll bring you my copy. I've all but given up on it, and I can guarantee my hubby won't be picking it up at any point :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Emily wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Hahaha, I'll bring you my copy. I've all but given up on it, and I can guarantee my hubby won't be picking it up at any point :lol:

Cool! :lol: Hubby ain't much of a reader?
    Emily
    Crewman

by Emily » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:28 pm

He goes in spurts. If he finds a series he likes, he reads incessantly, otherwise, it's mostly science-related articles on the internet, which is great, too. I truly feel that one of the greatest tragedies of our day is how there's so much information readily available, but the majority of the masses don't care to take advantage its accessibility. Huzzah for lifelong learning!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 pm

Emily wrote:I truly feel that one of the greatest tragedies of our day is how there's so much information readily available, but the majority of the masses don't care to take advantage its accessibility. Huzzah for lifelong learning!

I think one of the problems is that there is too much information available and it's difficult to pick a starting point for many. The sheer amount of places one can go to find something can be a bit overwhelming. That, and it's far too easy to get distracted. :lol: I know if I go to Wikipedia I usually get way too distracted with all the links and end up forgetting why I originally went there.
  • AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:05 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Emily wrote:I truly feel that one of the greatest tragedies of our day is how there's so much information readily available, but the majority of the masses don't care to take advantage its accessibility. Huzzah for lifelong learning!

I think one of the problems is that there is too much information available and it's difficult to pick a starting point for many. The sheer amount of places one can go to find something can be a bit overwhelming. That, and it's far too easy to get distracted. :lol: I know if I go to Wikipedia I usually get way too distracted with all the links and end up forgetting why I originally went there.

same here. I ended up reading a bunch of wiki pages about serial killers for like an hour and I have no idea how I ended up there :?
    Emily
    Crewman

by Emily » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 am

I find the random places I wind up on Wiki to be most of the fun :lol:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am

Emily wrote:I find the random places I wind up on Wiki to be most of the fun :lol:

--
Post Reply 880 posts