Post Reply 874 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by X-Thor » Fri May 03, 2013 7:03 pm

nekrobarr wrote:And now I join everyone in the game of waiting...

In the Game of Waiting, you wait or you die. Waiting. :P
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Sat May 04, 2013 4:48 am

I just finished reading this:

There were some funny parts, but overall it was pretty depressing... just like Detroit. I'd like to let the readers draw their own conclusions, but I had difficulty with the Michael Moore-esque quest to expose some of the dirt that goes down there. Not that it doesn't happen, and he's a journalist, but it's the purposeful lack of unbiased journalism that he admitted in the story. Not to mention the pity party of his life and the lives of other Detroiters. He's obviously pissed off at city leadership and at life in general, but nothing has changed in the last 50+ years, and nothing will change.
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • korpens-saga
    Oiler

by korpens-saga » Sat May 04, 2013 10:34 am

Amazing author from Quebec. He writes horror and loads of fucked up stuff which gets under your skin. Malphas is supposed to be his take on a children's book series but it's twisted and weird and filled with very very dark humor. It's a delight to read and a good laugh!
    2012 - Deck 10
    2013 - 1574
    2014 - 9538
    2015 - 9589
    2016 - 6529
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm

lillumsama
    Wiper

by lillumsama » Tue May 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Inquisitor wrote:Image

Awesome! I just finished reading Dance of Dragons and found this book among the stuff I bought ages ago and hadn't begun reading. I've only read a few pages so far, but I think it's got promise!
    Inquisitor
    Midshipman

by Inquisitor » Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 am

lillumsama wrote:

Awesome! I just finished reading Dance of Dragons and found this book among the stuff I bought ages ago and hadn't begun reading. I've only read a few pages so far, but I think it's got promise!

After your done that, i suggest....

Extremely entertaining, not to mention Mages who use gunpowder like Cocaine.... Yup, true story.
    lillumsama
    Wiper

by lillumsama » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Inquisitor wrote:
    lillumsama wrote:

After your done that, i suggest....

Extremely entertaining, not to mention Mages who use gunpowder like Cocaine.... Yup, true story.

Gunpowder like Cocaine

Fuck, now this sounds interesting! I'll be sure to check it out :D
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu May 09, 2013 6:35 am

Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:38 am

Just finished A Game of Thrones for the second time, A Clash of Kings up next. You really get a lot more details and deeper plot points the second time.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 am

Speedy wrote:Just finished A Game of Thrones for the second time, A Clash of Kings up next. You really get a lot more details and deeper plot points the second time.

I'm so slow getting through the second one. If I had gone as fast as the first one I'd be half way through 4 already. I have like 200 pages left on Clash Of Kings.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 pm

2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 pm

viathyn wrote:Image

I just finished it. I liked it a lot.

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri May 31, 2013 8:54 am

X-Thor wrote:
    viathyn wrote:Image

I just finished it. I liked it a lot.

Nice!
    I haven't had a bunch of time lately, so I'm only about 100 pages in but I'm rather intrigued so far! I really enjoy the writing style; It's metaphorical and descriptive without being overly long-winded like, say, GRRM.

Kvothe is a pretty cool character.

I have to say, honestly, I was pretty drawn in by the first page (the prologue). It had a certain flair and hook within the final lines that really made me want to keep reading.

PROLOGUE

A Silence of Three Parts

IT WAS NIGHT AGAIN. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have sighed through the trees, set the inn’s sign creaking on its hooks, and brushed the silence down the road like trailing autumn leaves. If there had been a crowd, even a handful of men inside the inn, they would have filled the silence with conversation and laughter, the clatter and clamor one expects from a drinking house during the dark hours of night. If there had been music…but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.

Inside the Waystone a pair of men huddled at one corner of the bar. They drank with quiet determination, avoiding serious discussions of troubling news. In doing this they added a small, sullen silence to the larger, hollow one. It made an alloy of sorts, a counterpoint.

The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the wooden floor underfoot and in the rough, splintering barrels behind the bar. It was in the weight of the black stone hearth that held the heat of a long dead fire. It was in the slow back and forth of a white linen cloth rubbing along the grain of the bar. And it was in the hands of the man who stood there, polishing a stretch of mahogany that already gleamed in the lamplight.

The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the subtle certainty that comes from knowing many things.

The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri May 31, 2013 12:28 pm

alright Hector - Charlie and I have decided that we are going to read Wheel of Time......I'm just waiting on one book to come out that I need to read and then I will start it!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:alright Hector - Charlie and I have decided that we are going to read Wheel of Time......I'm just waiting on one book to come out that I need to read and then I will start it!

Yessssssssssss!

:bangers:

--
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 am

Going to try my hand at brewing home beer, so I'm knee deep in this book:

2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 am

Vacation planning: :D
    ImageImage
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:23 pm

53 Pages Left. Almost on A Storm Of Swords!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 am

Been tearing through all the Orson Scott Card i can get my hands on. Currently my fave sci fi writer!!!!!!!!!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:17 pm

I love this book (Battle Royale). I find dystopian literature very interesting, specially if it's a book that you've been looking for years :) but I must admit that I have the bad habit of reading between 2 and 4 books at the same time and that's why it takes me ages to finish them hahaha. Right now I'm rereading this one and The Silmarillion, and I'm planning to begin with Adventures of Huckleberry Finn this weekend :D hahaha And, supposedly, I should be reading Game of Thrones, but I haven't been able to finish it because I always leave it for later since I always find something more interesting to read (It's been like 6 months since I started it, maybe more) hahaha

• sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 am

tanival87 wrote:I love this book (Battle Royale). I find dystopian literature very interesting, specially if it's a book that you've been looking for years :) but I must admit that I have the bad habit of reading between 2 and 4 books at the same time and that's why it takes me ages to finish them hahaha. Right now I'm rereading this one and The Silmarillion, and I'm planning to begin with Adventures of Huckleberry Finn this weekend :D hahaha And, supposedly, I should be reading Game of Thrones, but I haven't been able to finish it because I always leave it for later since I always find something more interesting to read (It's been like 6 months since I started it, maybe more) hahaha

Yeah, that seems to happen as you get older. I'm currently juggling Atlas Shrugged, a psychology book called "Frames of Mind" and a ton of different comic books that I have stored on my iPad. I'm also studying computer science on iTunes U, so some computer science articles keep getting wedged in there as well.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Done book 2. Longest book I've ever read in my life :lol: On to book 3!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:12 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    tanival87 wrote:I love this book (Battle Royale). I find dystopian literature very interesting, specially if it's a book that you've been looking for years :) but I must admit that I have the bad habit of reading between 2 and 4 books at the same time and that's why it takes me ages to finish them hahaha. Right now I'm rereading this one and The Silmarillion, and I'm planning to begin with Adventures of Huckleberry Finn this weekend :D hahaha And, supposedly, I should be reading Game of Thrones, but I haven't been able to finish it because I always leave it for later since I always find something more interesting to read (It's been like 6 months since I started it, maybe more) hahaha

Yeah, that seems to happen as you get older. I'm currently juggling Atlas Shrugged, a psychology book called "Frames of Mind" and a ton of different comic books that I have stored on my iPad. I'm also studying computer science on iTunes U, so some computer science articles keep getting wedged in there as well.

I've heard a lot of Atlas Shrugged because of the movies. I really want to see them, but I don't like watching movies from books I haven't read :S maybe after I finish this school period and I have more time, I will start reading it if I manage to find it D: haha Because I also want to read "Infinite Jest" by Foster Wallace (which, by the way, is also a dystopian book hahaha) and that one is easier to find here in Mexico.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I read some Ayn Rand when I was in university. Ugh. Never again. Insufferable woman, insufferable characters.

--
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:30 pm

X-Thor wrote:I read some Ayn Rand when I was in university. Ugh. Never again. Insufferable woman, insufferable characters.

I'll have to read it so I can give my opinion D: because I'm kind of strange when it comes to books. Sometimes I like books people don't, and don't like books people love hahaha (i.e. Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, Hunger Games)
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 pm

tanival87 wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:I read some Ayn Rand when I was in university. Ugh. Never again. Insufferable woman, insufferable characters.

and don't like books people love hahaha (i.e. Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, Hunger Games)

I don't think we can be friends... :P

Seriously, though, Ayn Rand's book are just pages and pages justifying her being an asshole. :?
    Last edited by X-Thor on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:39 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    tanival87 wrote:

and don't like books people love hahaha (i.e. Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, Hunger Games)

I don't think we can be friends... :P

Seriously, though, Ayn Rand's book are just pages and pages justifying her being an asshole. :?

What a shame, guess I'll have to learn to live without your friendship :( hahahaha it's just that, unless the saga captures my attention since the very beginning, I hate when they're as long as hell D: And the only ones that have managed to make that and I ended loving with all my heart, are The Lord of the Rings and all the stories that came with it, and The Chronicles of Narnia hehe but Narnia maybe it's because I like Children literature every now and then :)
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:41 am

tanival87 wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

I've heard a lot of Atlas Shrugged because of the movies. I really want to see them, but I don't like watching movies from books I haven't read :S maybe after I finish this school period and I have more time, I will start reading it if I manage to find it D: haha Because I also want to read "Infinite Jest" by Foster Wallace (which, by the way, is also a dystopian book hahaha) and that one is easier to find here in Mexico.

I also heard that Atlus Shrugged made a pretty poor movie. I've heard that pretty much everything in the book is used for the sake of arguing Ayn Rand's philosophy, so nothing really happens in it that would look all that interesting on a screen.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 am

the movie has suffered because of bad business choices and attempts to have ties with politics... a shame, cause the book was pretty amazing.

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:09 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:the movie has suffered because of bad business choices and attempts to have ties with politics... a shame, cause the book was pretty amazing.

It's been a struggle to get through lately. I'm only 70 pages in right now, but it seems like Ayn Rand has a problem with people who feel things. All her main protagonists so far are human robots who feel nothing and only have passion for their jobs, while everyone else is being framed like inferior breeds of human who refuse to acknowledge their role as servants of Ms. Rand's master race.

*Mild spoiler*
    My initial impression of Mr. Rearden was pretty poor. Thinking that his family hates him because they're jealous of his success not long after he acknowledges that he doesn't care about them anymore. He thinks he can't win with his family because he's successful and they're not, but it's because he doesn't care about them and no empty gesture is going to hide that. I'm hoping he'll undergo a revalation of some sort later in the book. I'd hate to find out that Ayn Rand pictured him as infallible when she created him.

On the other hand, I really admire her writing style. It's very descriptive, and I'm hoping it'll rub off on me in my writing.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:49 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:the movie has suffered because of bad business choices and attempts to have ties with politics... a shame, cause the book was pretty amazing.

Attempts? The book is about politics... :P

--
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:56 pm

sageoftruth wrote:

It's been a struggle to get through lately. I'm only 70 pages in right now, but it seems like Ayn Rand has a problem with people who feel things. All her main protagonists so far are human robots who feel nothing and only have passion for their jobs, while everyone else is being framed like inferior breeds of human who refuse to acknowledge their role as servants of Ms. Rand's master race.

*Mild spoiler*
    My initial impression of Mr. Rearden was pretty poor. Thinking that his family hates him because they're jealous of his success not long after he acknowledges that he doesn't care about them anymore. He thinks he can't win with his family because he's successful and they're not, but it's because he doesn't care about them and no empty gesture is going to hide that. I'm hoping he'll undergo a revalation of some sort later in the book. I'd hate to find out that Ayn Rand pictured him as infallible when she created him.

On the other hand, I really admire her writing style. It's very descriptive, and I'm hoping it'll rub off on me in my writing.

I just love when there are divided opinions about books because it makes me want to read them even more hehe Until now, the few people I know that have read it have told me that it's amazing or that they hated it...
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm

tanival87 wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

*Mild spoiler*

I just love when there are divided opinions about books because it makes me want to read them even more hehe Until now, the few people I know that have read it have told me that it's amazing or that they hated it...

We'll see. I'm just getting started right now. Perhaps I was supposed to dislike those characters. Well-written characters tend to develop and there's still about 1000 pages left for that to happen.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:39 pm

So, I'm like this crazy insane - been-a-librarian person for 24 years - and I always have a ridiculously huge pile of books in my house...most recent one i checked out is (but have not read yet) is:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:37 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    tanival87 wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

*Mild spoiler*

We'll see. I'm just getting started right now. Perhaps I was supposed to dislike those characters. Well-written characters tend to develop and there's still about 1000 pages left for that to happen.

Guess you can't judge a 1000 pages book by reading only 70 hehe I'll still have to wait at least another 3 months to start reading it anyway :( For now I'll just keep up with Battle Royale and The Silmarillion while I start looking for Infinite Jest.
    tanival87
    Oiler

by tanival87 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Laura wrote:So, I'm like this crazy insane - been-a-librarian person for 24 years - and I always have a ridiculously huge pile of books in my house...most recent one i checked out is (but have not read yet) is:

That one seems very interesting. I like books that explain how music works :D If you're a librarian, maybe you've already read this one, but I loved this book! So if you haven't read it yet, I strongly recomend Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks :D

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:01 am

tanival87 wrote:For now I'll just keep up with Battle Royale and The Silmarillion while I start looking for Infinite Jest.

Infinite Jest was entertaining. Started to get bored with it by the time I finished.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:40 am

Atlas Shrugged is a tough read, mo doubt. It starts dry, andthe payoff definitely comes later. And yes, liking it does seem mostly black & white... I find it has the opposite fanbase of Catcher In The Rye, typically.
    I could care less about political ties, I love the idealism and pride of man in the story.
    I don't live by it, but am definitely a fan

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks for the heads up about the Musicophilia book, tanival. :D It turns out we have several copies where I work, so I'll take a look at it for sure. And...haha - when I said I have a ridiculously huge pile of books at home, I was referring to the 10-20 or more library books that I have checked out at any given time sitting atop my bedside table. Every day I see so many more books I want to read and it's almost frustrating because I am surrounded by tens of thousands in the arts department alone (where I work)....not to mention all the other subjects I seek out and am interested in. Because of this - I have read non-fiction almost exclusively all of my adult life.

The David Byrne book caught my eye because I am such a long time fan of Talking Heads and everything else he has been involved with. Here is a description of the book (which as I said earlier, I have not started yet, but plan to this weekend).
    How Music Works is David Byrne's remarkable and buoyant celebration of a subject he's spent a lifetime thinking about. He explains how profoundly music is shaped by its time and place, and how the advent of recording technology forever changed our relationship to playing, performing, and listening to music. Acting as historian and anthropologist, raconteur and social scientist, he searches for patterns—and tells us how they have affected his own work over the years with Talking Heads and his many collaborators. Touching on the joy, physics, and the business of making music, he also shows how it is inextricably linked to its cultural and physical context. His range is panoptic, taking us from La Scala to African villages, from his teenage reel-to-reel recordings to his latest work in a home music studio. How Music Works is a brainy, irresistible adventure and an impassioned argument about music's liberating, life-affirming power.
    (from http://www.davidbyrne.com/art/books/how ... /index.php)
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Post Reply 874 posts