Post Reply 874 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    WizardBeast
    Captain

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by WizardBeast » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Finished Ender's Game and now almost through with Speaker for the Dead. I've just been initiated into the world of Orson Scott Card!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:12 pm

WizardBeast wrote:Finished Ender's Game and now almost through with Speaker for the Dead. I've just been initiated into the world of Orson Scott Card!

Those are his two best, so i goes downhill now ;). Speaker of Dead is beautiful. Must re-read it soon.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:27 am

I'm pages away from finishing the Hobbit.

*Spoiler*

I thought Smaug's death was a huge cop out. The whole time I was wondering how the main characters would defeat him, and then Tolkien just introduces this new character out of the blue, at the last secondd for the sole purpose of defeating him. This book was filled with deus ex machinas, but this one really killed the book for me. At least now I can finish it and give it to my boss. He's been waiting to read it.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Just over half way through A Storm of Swords (Book 3 of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series) and things just got SO ramped up in terms of intensity and plot twists/turns. Can barely put the thing down long enough to drive in the past day or so. Those who've read it already surely know the events I'm referring to. This author blows my mind some days lol :shock:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:10 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Just over half way through A Storm of Swords (Book 3 of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series) and things just got SO ramped up in terms of intensity and plot twists/turns. Can barely put the thing down long enough to drive in the past day or so. Those who've read it already surely know the events I'm referring to. This author blows my mind some days lol :shock:

I threw that one against the wall three times in a ten minute span.

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I've been reading Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny. Great Sci-Fi, but the whole Indian Gods confuses me. The humor is brilliantly subtle.

--
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 pm

I just finished a series The Kill Order (prequel) , The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure by James Dashner - I read all 4 books in about 3 days, I really enjoyed them!

Before that, I read the Game of Thrones books (A MUST READ)!

and currently am reading a series Enclave and Outpost by Ann Aguirre (I like the idea of these books but they aren't as good as the other ones I mentioned)

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:38 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:Just over half way through A Storm of Swords (Book 3 of Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series) and things just got SO ramped up in terms of intensity and plot twists/turns. Can barely put the thing down long enough to drive in the past day or so. Those who've read it already surely know the events I'm referring to. This author blows my mind some days lol :shock:

Such an amazing book!!!!! SOOOOOOO MUCH SHIT HAPPENS!!!! I'm excited to see what they do with it on the TV series!!!!

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

Such an amazing book!!!!! SOOOOOOO MUCH SHIT HAPPENS!!!! I'm excited to see what they do with it on the TV series!!!!

I just hope they don't ruin it more than they already have (HOW THE HELL CAN ROBB MARRY TO THE NEW GODS?!?!?! :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: ) (Uhm, spoiler alert if anyone hasn't seen the show :oops: )

--
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:03 pm

season 3 of GoT is going to be insanely intense - so much is going to happen. I just can't wait to see it. I think they are doing an excellent job with the show -
    the book are definitely better, and I may have to re-read them all! I can't wait for the next book to come out already - Martin needs to write faster dammit!

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:19 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:season 3 of GoT is going to be insanely intense - so much is going to happen. I just can't wait to see it. I think they are doing an excellent job with the show -
    the book are definitely better, and I may have to re-read them all! I can't wait for the next book to come out already - Martin needs to write faster dammit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

--
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:38 am

I heard season 3 is only going to be the first half of book 3. Which is good, this will give me more time to catch up (...start) reading the series.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:21 am

X-Thor wrote:
    LadyBlackfhyre wrote:season 3 of GoT is going to be insanely intense - so much is going to happen. I just can't wait to see it. I think they are doing an excellent job with the show -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7lp3RhzfgI

hahah Awesome!!!!!!!!

LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 am

Stained Class wrote:I heard season 3 is only going to be the first half of book 3. Which is good, this will give me more time to catch up (...start) reading the series.

yeah you totally need to read them! Once you start it is quite difficult to put down! I read all 5 in about 3 months -

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:24 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:I heard season 3 is only going to be the first half of book 3. Which is good, this will give me more time to catch up (...start) reading the series.

yeah you totally need to read them! Once you start it is quite difficult to put down! I read all 5 in about 3 months -

I haven't been able to find them anywhere. Although I haven't looked that hard, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard with how popular they must be now.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 am

I don't know if you are interested in reading them on the computer or have the actual books. I read them on my nook, and Charlie read them through PDF files on the computer. So if you are interested in the PDF files, we can send them your way!

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I don't know if you are interested in reading them on the computer or have the actual books. I read them on my nook, and Charlie read them through PDF files on the computer. So if you are interested in the PDF files, we can send them your way!

ooh yeah can you do that? I'll PM you my email address. I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll get the physical book.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:39 am

Stained Class wrote:
    LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I don't know if you are interested in reading them on the computer or have the actual books. I read them on my nook, and Charlie read them through PDF files on the computer. So if you are interested in the PDF files, we can send them your way!

ooh yeah can you do that? I'll PM you my email address. I'll try it out and if I don't like it I'll get the physical book.

Excellent - I will have Charlie send them your way!

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

Excellent - I will have Charlie send them your way!

Awesome. Thank you kindly :D
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:27 pm

I have book 3 on my tablet as well as the physical copy but have been disappointed by the number of typos in the .pdf as well as how the italicized text is not italicized.

If the files you guys have are better, I'd love to get 'em :beggingsmiley:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:37 pm

well, I just finished

and now that I've finished that I can't really put off starting the final book of a series I've been reading for over 20 years... I don't want it to end, even though I'm excited for the conclusion
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:31 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:and now that I've finished that I can't really put off starting the final book of a series I've been reading for over 20 years... I don't want it to end, even though I'm excited for the conclusion

I read the whole series from April to February. Possibly my all-time favorite saga. I'm sure you'll love it. I think Sanderson did an amazing job wrapping it up.

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 am

X-Thor wrote:
    DrinkMoxie wrote:and now that I've finished that I can't really put off starting the final book of a series I've been reading for over 20 years... I don't want it to end, even though I'm excited for the conclusion

I read the whole series from April to February. Possibly my all-time favorite saga. I'm sure you'll love it. I think Sanderson did an amazing job wrapping it up.

I honestly didn't think this saga ever would be wrapped up. It just kept going.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 pm

9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:39 pm

^ This -

Get to reading!!!! Those books are the best!

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:15 pm

About time you started them!!!

Word of advise: don't get too attached.

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Stained Class wrote:Image

"I regret to inform you that this is the end... I'm going now. I bid you all a fond farewell... Goodbye."
    (Retreats into basement with entire Game of Throne collection)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

sageoftruth wrote:"I regret to inform you that this is the end... I'm going now. I bid you all a fond farewell... Goodbye."

:lol: Pretty much. I'm 1/6 done the first book already.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:"I regret to inform you that this is the end... I'm going now. I bid you all a fond farewell... Goodbye."

:lol: Pretty much. I'm 1/6 done the first book already.

Nice! Keep it up!

LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:53 pm

X-Thor wrote:About time you started them!!!

why not?

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:05 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:

why not?

I think he was talking about the characters.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    LadyBlackfhyre wrote:

why not?

I got too attached to some characters... And, well, we all know GRRM has no heart.

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:46 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:
    LadyBlackfhyre wrote:

why not?

I got too attached to some characters... And, well, we all know GRRM has no heart.

LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 am

Ah ok - I mistook it as not getting atached to the books

But yes... every time you end up loving someone in the books they die for the most part... there have been plenty of times I've thrown my book and was like.. "Fuck it, I can't read this shit anymore I'm done with the book" and then 5 mins later pick it up again to keep reading haha

I did read all 5 - and am considering re-reading them.. we shall see

TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 pm

http://books.google.com/books/about/Mak ... lBZRj_rjcC

Some of this is hard to believe. Ace going under the sheets with Sweet Connie (a groupie) and co-blowing Peter Chriss.

1/4 of the way in and Sex is the main topic in his autobiography. He really paints Gene and Paul in a poor light, small dicks and stuff.

I hope Mustaine's book is better, I am reading that next.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:10 am

WizardBeast wrote:Finished Ender's Game and now almost through with Speaker for the Dead. I've just been initiated into the world of Orson Scott Card!

Orson Scott Card is awesome as is the Ender's series. Sometime you wonder where he's going with it but it keeps you hooked that's for sure.

Hopefully they can at least do it some justice with this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:35 am

Currently reading the Dreaming Void by Peter F Hamilton. Hamilton is one of my all time favorite authors and this is kind of a sequel series to his Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained novels. Well worth checking him out.

Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 am

I'm almost done A Game Of Thrones. I'm averaging 40 pages a day which means I should be finished book 5 by July 14. My goal is to finish book 3 before the end of season 3.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:25 am

Fuck yeah, dude!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:29 am

Stained Class wrote:I'm almost done A Game Of Thrones. I'm averaging 40 pages a day which means I should be finished book 5 by July 14. My goal is to finish book 3 before the end of season 3.

I'm in the middle of that one myself. I'd say we should race, but, you'd win, 'cause I'm terrible at reading on a consistent basis.
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
Post Reply 874 posts