Post Reply 874 posts
What book are you reading at the moment ?
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:23 pm

Hm ok I'll hammer that one down before I start on Wheel Of Time. Gotta be ahead of the TV crowd for once :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Stained Class wrote:Hm ok I'll hammer that one down before I start on Wheel Of Time. Gotta be ahead of the TV crowd for once :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

Wise choice. WoT is very long, so it'll keep you busy for a while.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:14 am

I am about 12 Chapters in on book two of Wheel of time!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:32 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:I am about 12 Chapters in on book two of Wheel of time!

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Wheel of Time is great, but like Hector said, they really have way too many unimportant characters in big rles who do next to nothing. If that doesn't make sense, then it will if you make it to book 8 which was excellent a putting me to sleep. It's very clear that Robert Jorddan didn't know what he was doing with the series and had all these characters he needed to kill but couldn't. Still need to finish the very last book. The ones that Brandon Sanderson wrote were quite decent at cleaning the wonderful mess that Jordan left behind.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Wheel of Time is great, but like Hector said, they really have way too many unimportant characters in big rles who do next to nothing. If that doesn't make sense, then it will if you make it to book 8 which was excellent a putting me to sleep. It's very clear that Robert Jorddan didn't know what he was doing with the series and had all these characters he needed to kill but couldn't. Still need to finish the very last book. The ones that Brandon Sanderson wrote were quite decent at cleaning the wonderful mess that Jordan left behind.

I never said they were unimportant... I think of books 8-10 as books that exist just to thicken the plot enough so that books 11-14 can be awesome. Kind of like Book 4 (and in some ways also book 5) in Game of Thrones... They're not that bad... Just too many plots to solve, I guess.

--
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am

X-Thor wrote:
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Wheel of Time is great, but like Hector said, they really have way too many unimportant characters in big rles who do next to nothing. If that doesn't make sense, then it will if you make it to book 8 which was excellent a putting me to sleep. It's very clear that Robert Jorddan didn't know what he was doing with the series and had all these characters he needed to kill but couldn't. Still need to finish the very last book. The ones that Brandon Sanderson wrote were quite decent at cleaning the wonderful mess that Jordan left behind.

I never said they were unimportant... I think of books 8-10 as books that exist just to thicken the plot enough so that books 11-14 can be awesome. Kind of like Book 4 (and in some ways also book 5) in Game of Thrones... They're not that bad... Just too many plots to solve, I guess.

I don't think that books 8 and 10 thickened the plot, I believe they convoluted it. The series would be better off without those books. Books 8 and 9 should have been condensed into one book and still have no more than 800 pages. Too many people second guessing themselves for pages at a time. Book 10 should have never happened in my opinion because in fact...nothing happened! :P
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:51 am

Yaaaaay! :bangers:

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm

I just started Mists of Avalon. I'm only 10 pages in, so I haven't got anything to say about it just yet.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:12 pm

sageoftruth wrote:I just started Mists of Avalon. I'm only 10 pages in, so I haven't got anything to say about it just yet.

I've heard great things about it.

--
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:45 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:

For me books 1-5 were simply amazing, 6 starting slowing it down, 7 put me off continue to read and me saying "I bet Jordan will die before he finishes this series"
    well...

Now that the final book seemed to finally come via Brandon Sanderson I read 1-13 during the spring of last year, and just now picked up the last one.
    I think Sanderson has managed to minimize the flutter of various characters moving about, pulling it together better.

That being said, I still have about 600 pages to go in the last book, hopefully I'll be happy in a few days once finished with it.

Still, it is a huge series with some excellent characters and stories in it, I'd say for someone interested in fantasy it is well worth reading.

Happy to hear that many people are finishing this up. I hope to be among them as soon as they release "Memory of Light" on paperback. Why pay $35 when I can wait and get the same thing for $10? Hope you're enjoying the finish, man. I know that to many people that 600 pages left sounds like alot, but for this series its small potatoes. :cheers:
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:^^ Well, why pay $10 when the library has it for free?

:D

Indeed, when you've read some 15,000 pages or so already, 600 is not much :beerwink:

Alright, you got me, but I don't believe in getting anything for free. I know it sounds stupid, but for that book in particular, I believe in shelling out some cash. Sanderson really put his heart and soul into finishing the series. I could tell that just by reading the "Gathering Storm," and "Tower of Midnight."
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:05 am

So I just finished reading The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson. It's about 1250 pages (in English). Here's what I thought:

-Most characters are very interesting and, though not as "humanized" as GRRM's (meaning, they aren't thinking about sex all the time or killing each other at the slightest opportunity), they do feel real and deep. Moreover, they all have nice development arcs.

-The plot takes some time to advance. Of course, there are very cool scenes from the very beginning (the prologue and the first chapter are both very different kinds of awesome, for example), but it did took me some time to figure out what was each character's "plot". There are a lot of minor characters with single chapters. I do not know if it was exposition of the setting or of plots that are yet to reveal themselves. Or maybe I missed something huge.

-The setting is great. Fully developed and with a lot of small details that make it feel more "real" (I guess). It seems that Sanderson fully considered the implications of the peculiar weather, magic system and mythology/history of this world.

This is the first book in the Stormlight Archive series, so I'm eager to read what's coming next. :ugeek: :ugeek:

Now I'm starting to read this book:

It's a book about the Rwandan genocide, but told from the killers' perspective. I'm only a few pages in, and I already feel devastated.

--
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:45 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:^^ Well, why pay $10 when the library has it for free?

:D

Indeed, when you've read some 15,000 pages or so already, 600 is not much :beerwink:

Alright, you got me, but I don't believe in getting anything for free. I know it sounds stupid, but for that book in particular, I believe in shelling out some cash. Sanderson really put his heart and soul into finishing the series. I could tell that just by reading the "Gathering Storm," and "Tower of Midnight."

Finished it Monday, all done :cheers:

Well, what's the verdict? Time well spent?
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:28 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    gnoff_the_creep wrote:Finished it Monday, all done :cheers:

Well, what's the verdict? Time well spent?

I don't want to include any spoilers or such, but the last book does handle things rather different than many of the previous ones.

Still, glad to have finished the series and got an ending to it, not regretting I did.

Awesome, good enough for me. When it comes out on paperback I'll pic k it up.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:44 am

I thought it was a good ending... sad to be done something I've been reading for over 20 years, but happy to have closure that actually works nicely
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Haven't read this yet since all the copies where I work are checked out, but I saw this author speak last week and really enjoyed it (I go to at least a few author talks and/or lectures of one sort or another a month.) So interesting....since I am fascinated with the historical era it covers. I took my daughter who took a history of religion class last year in school and was interested in hearing his pov.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:46 pm

About 100 pages in already. Book 3 was fucking incredible right through to the last page! I'm hoping this one isn't as boring as a lot of the readers say it is. So far it's not bad.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:21 am

As you guys know by my other thread, I've been going through Star Wars books lately, just finished the Bounty Hunter Wars recently. Now, taking a minute break and am picking up volume 4 of Robert E. Howard's and L. Sprague DeCamp's excellent Conan series where all the stories have been arranged in chronological order. It's a cool idea, because now I feel like I'm growing up with Conan killing what he kills and banging whom he bangs. :D
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:45 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:As you guys know by my other thread, I've been going through Star Wars books lately, just finished the Bounty Hunter Wars recently. Now, taking a minute break and am picking up volume 4 of Robert E. Howard's and L. Sprague DeCamp's excellent Conan series where all the stories have been arranged in chronological order. It's a cool idea, because now I feel like I'm growing up with Conan killing what he kills and banging whom he bangs. :D

Of course, if you're not Conan, you're probably the one getting killed.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Haven't posted in this thread (or many others for that matter) for the last 2 years, but I was moved to write about my latest read. I just finished up the Ender Quartet by Orson Scott Card. Of course I was prompted to read the first book (Ender's Game) because the movie was just released. I wanted to see the flick but refuse to watch a book-based film without first reading the book (when possible). What a fantastic set of books! I will likely read everything he has written now, his style has tremendous depth and complexity but is still highly approachable. I will say that Ender's Game is the weakest of the four, but still a fantastic read. The remaining books delve into some pretty deep philosophical ideas. It is light on wiz-bang techno stuff and HEAVY on interpersonal (inter-species) relationships. I can't recommend this series highly enough, it is available in a box set on Amazon for Kindle for a reasonable price ($26). Actually, the box set is a quintet that includes the 5th book which he wrote much later to fill in a timeline gap between book 1 and the subsequent three. I haven't read the 5th book yet but expect it will be as good as he others. (I bought the books individually instead of the box set).

I say $26 is a reasonable price for this set, mind you I have read dozens of $.99 Kindle books in the last couple years that were good to excellent in their own rights so $5+ per book for this series is pretty steep. However that is about par for a well established successful author like Card, so I just grimace and hit the buy button. But invariably at the end of each book I haven't felt bad about the money spent on them.

Speaking of Kindle book series, If you haven't read the Wool saga by Hugh Howey, DO IT NOW! It was the best series I read this year. The first book is FREE, but be forewarned, you WILL be hooked and buy the rest.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-Part-One-Hugh-Howey-ebook/dp/B005FC52L0/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387404577&sr=1-2&keywords=wool+omnibus+edition+wool+1+-+5

:cheers:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Stained Class wrote:Image
    About 100 pages in already. Book 3 was fucking incredible right through to the last page! I'm hoping this one isn't as boring as a lot of the readers say it is. So far it's not bad.

I think my first post way back in the beginning of this thread was asking for suggestions for fantasy reading, of course Song of Ice and Fire got lots of mentions. I read all of the books straight through over the course of a month or so. It was magnificent, so glad I didn't discover them years ago when he started writing, I can imagine its even more torturous waiting for his next book than waiting for band announcements from UMC.

:heavydrink:
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Image

I think my first post way back in the beginning of this thread was asking for suggestions for fantasy reading, of course Song of Ice and Fire got lots of mentions. I read all of the books straight through over the course of a month or so. It was magnificent, so glad I didn't discover them years ago when he started writing, I can imagine its even more torturous waiting for his next book than waiting for band announcements from UMC.

:heavydrink:

Holy crap, I've been working on the series since like February. I'm not a very fast reader, you read them all in a month? Damn. I'm about half way through this one now. Hoping to finish the series before Season 4.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:21 pm

My work schedule allows me a lot of wait around time, I fill it with reading. Ans I guess I am a fairly fast reader, especially when the story is good.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I've been pretty slow on this one cus the first 400 pages were pretty boring. It's starting to pick up now, I think I'll get through the rest of it before 70k at least.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Malazan book 1 - Gardens of the Moon. Just started, about 2 chapters in. Pretty decent fantasy. :boobs: :viking: :boobs:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:26 pm

mfrap wrote:Malazan book 1 - Gardens of the Moon. Just started, about 2 chapters in. Pretty decent fantasy. :boobs: :viking: :boobs:

Is that that one that Jake's been obsessed with lately. "The Name Of The Wind"?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:30 pm

yeah, I want to go back and re-read them all but my "read this next" list is so damn long, I doubt I'll get back to them.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:23 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    mfrap wrote:Malazan book 1 - Gardens of the Moon. Just started, about 2 chapters in. Pretty decent fantasy. :boobs: :viking: :boobs:

Is that that one that Jake's been obsessed with lately. "The Name Of The Wind"?

No, that's another one. Supposedly also very very cool.

I'm reading a book called Tattoos from the Heart, by a Jesuit Priest who works with gang members in Los Angeles. Very interesting read.

--
    carlynjason
    Petty Officer

by carlynjason » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:24 am

re-reading cabal by clive barker
    and last human by doug naylor, both well worth a look :)
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:33 am

carlynjason wrote:re-reading cabal by clive barker
    and last human by doug naylor, both well worth a look :)

Good call on Cabal. I love Clive Barker, he's one of my favorite authors ever.
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:28 pm

:P
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin
    Rhiannon
    Oiler

by Rhiannon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:37 am

I just bought this book, and plan on starting it tonight. I've heard this series is pretty damn epic. :)
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:48 pm

After opening my Christmas/birthday presents I've got tons of books to choose from. What should I read: "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Riley or "Heathen's Guide to World Religions"?
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:52 pm

sageoftruth wrote:After opening my Christmas/birthday presents I've got tons of books to choose from. What should I read: "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Riley or "Heathen's Guide to World Religions"?

Read one chapter of one, and then one chapter from the other and have a debate

:lol:
    8 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:After opening my Christmas/birthday presents I've got tons of books to choose from. What should I read: "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Riley or "Heathen's Guide to World Religions"?

Read one chapter of one, and then one chapter from the other and have a debate

:lol:

Sounds interesting. I'll have to get to the Christian/New Testament portion of it first. I just finished reading about how the Israelites claiming the promised land was actually a bloody conquest. I wonder what my Jewish father would think.
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant

by Disaster Area » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:26 pm

Just started Asimov's Foundation series (better late than never).

Also picking my way through the Kalevala (English version of course) and A Short History of the World by Christopher Lascelles

all on Kindle...

:cheers:

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Disaster Area wrote:Just started Asimov's Foundation series (better late than never).

First saga I ever read, I think. Still love it. Asimov is awesome.

--
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am

Just finished this:

Now, on to this:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• mfrap
    Petty Officer

by mfrap » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:15 am

viathyn wrote:Just finished this:

Now, on to this:

hitting the halfway mark on Deadhouse as we speak. Oh man, shits getting too real! :bmhorns:
Post Reply 874 posts