Locked 23 posts Page 1 of 1
Tons of Metal Community
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Tons of Metal Community

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:22 am

Forgive the long post... I'm hoping it's worth the read but am sure it will just bore and/or annoy many :ugeek:

So, in another thread where what I saw as a humorous conversation was being criticized for it's literal content, I responded and suggested that, to me, metal and this trip and these boards were all about having good times and not ripping each other for our different musical tastes or ideas expressed in threads. I got a few PMs in response, some in agreement, some not, and thought that some of the ideas represented on both sides of the discussion were valid and it got me thinking. First, it got me just wanting to clarify my position as expressed in that thread but then I thought about it a bit more. Essentially, I can sort of sum up my stance with the text with which I replied to one PM:

I just hate to think of some decent folk who are gonna be on this trip, coming to these boards and not getting involved out of fear that their specific tastes might get ridiculed or because they see some of the comments and figure it's an elitist community filled with drama. It'd be so much more cool to continue the metal trend of demonstrating a strength of community and being open to the differences presented by others, as opposed to the conformist pop world we all despise so much.

One of the PMs suggested I was trying to tell people not to express their preferences and that it's the diversity of metal that makes it unique and that every different style will have people that worship it and hate others and vice versa so it was useless to try to keep people from bashing each other on this topic.

Well, I tend to agree in general principle. I just don't see that the diversity has to lead to the bashing. I'm probably being naive and idealistic to hope that we'd all be open-minded and tolerant but it is something I see in others, strive for myself and am hoping we can lean towards here. I mean, if you enjoy new Metallica or some glam metal or industrial stuff that's verging on what we might call true metal, but not quite (or far from it in some cases) and say so here, so long as you're not telling us it's better than the stuff we enjoy, where's the harm? If Joe Metal wears an Amon Amarth shirt to a Uli Jon Roth gig, does that mean he doesn't fit in or ya won't hoist a brew with him cuz you're not into the that particular band?

If someone posts a thread or a reply that's not well thought out or expresses something unpopular (maybe like this very thread haha), of course we're gonna reply in way that sets them straight. I'm just hoping we'll do better than all the trolls on all the forums out there who can't come up with anything better than FACEPALM or STFU you Moron! If we keep in mind that it might be coming from someone who's only been into metal for a few years or hasn't been exposed to as much for as long, maybe it could be seen as an opportunity to educate rather than sending them back to the dark side of pop punk fandom or worse.

Don't get me wrong. I know that on some threads we're discussing which bands will get on this amazing bill or who we'd like to see reunite etc... I'm not for a second suggesting that people should censor their thoughts or feelings about these topics or the suggestions made by others that go completely against their own views. That's what discussion boards and various threads are for after all. I'm just talking about straight up saying so n' so sucks or is the crappiest band ever when someone else just mentions them simply because they're not your thing. We all know how ridiculous it is to hear people say metal sucks when we know that, in truth, it's only true that they hate it and is a matter of opinion as opposed to fact. Maybe the same logic can be applied to the differences within metal as well? I know we're all grown ups here and, as metal fans, should already be pretty thick skinned when it comes to stuff like this. I guess I'm just posting this in the hopes that we might lean towards being more inclusive to all the metal fans that might make their way here as opposed to just those we totally click with.

There's gonna be 2000 of us hanging out together for 4 1/2 days and (again, just my opinion) it would really kick ass if we could all get to know each other here and really have the trip reflect the kind of metal kinship and community we all hear about all the time instead of maybe having half of us alienating the other half over petty differences. Pretty sure we'd all much rather have a blast together instead of letting egos or attitudes turn it into some kind of who's cooler contest or an I'm more metal than you competition.

I know, I should've just typed out, "Can't we all just get along?"... But work's quiet tonight so, ya get this instead :twisted:

/rant off

Cheers All!

______________ :viking: ______________

:headbanger: :metalguy: :death: :shred: :deathmetal:

:cheers: :beerhorns: :party: :beerwink: :heavydrink: :trashdrink: :givebeer:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    jassiak
    Crewman

Re: Tons of Metal Community

by jassiak » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:44 am

Hail to the Metal. :viking:
    I can see clearly now, a painful vision indeed
    An attack on hallowed ground, from high above
    Alien to us, the species known as man
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:25 am

Personally i know i won't get along with everyone on this cruise cause like any metal festivals you will always have some people who aren't essentially metalheads and have just jumped on the bandwagon because it seems cool and one of the current popular images to be a part of.
    If i think a band is shit i will say they are shit.Although i would have already researched the band and listened to them before coming to such a conclusion.
    It's nothing to do with elitism it's due to the fact that there are tonnes of terrible bands who slap the metal tag on their band when they shouldn't be.
    I can name dozens of bands who as far as i'm concerned aren't metal bands but certain people,magazines etc try to push them to make sales and as a result have spawned metal retards who have never heard a proper metal band in their life.
    The whole 'True' metal term was created in response to differentiate these certain bands and the ones that are actually metal.
    Black metal,Death metal,Heavy ,Folk etc can all be catogorised as true metal in a sense but it doesn't apply to all the bands in those genres.
    Metal is not just about the music.It's the attitude and the mentality too.
    This is a metal cruise.Not happy gay hug each other hippy fest but at the same time i'm not gonna spend my time on the boat having a huge debate with someone about if the bands they listen to suck or not.
    The way i intened on spending this cruise is drinking,rocking and fucking and thats the way it should be.If i don't get on with someone i just won't hang around with them simple as that.As a metalhead it's not my obligation to befriend those who would irritate me .
    Each to his own i suppose :viking:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:29 am

Metalwrath wrote:Each to his own i suppose

Absolutely... And yeah, I'm under no illusions that everyone's gonna like or become best bros with everyone else one board. That's just not normal human behaviour. I guess my point was just that, maybe rather than insulting the bands and the tastes of their fans, the whole sense of community here on the boards would benefit more if these things were framed more as personal opinions, rather than universal metal truths. Like, 'such and such band doesn't play the type of metal/style/whatever that I like because A, B or C' or 'I saw them at X festival or gig and they sounded awful' as opposed to just saying, 'they suck and only losers would listen to that shite'. If that makes any sense.

Whatever, I'm sorta regretting the entire post now cuz it just reads like a lame attempt at social policing. I really shouldn't give a shit lol

:roll:

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am

Well i haven't seen any direct attacks on people on this forum and doubt there will be.
    As for slagging the shit out of bands people like i don't see any real issue as long as the poster is insulting the bands and not the person posting about them.
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:04 am

Metalwrath wrote: like any metal festivals you will always have some people who aren't essentially metalheads and have just jumped on the bandwagon because it seems cool and one of the current popular images to be a part of.

You would probably see me as one of those people, I am the most un-metal person on this broad, if you haven't already noticed :lol: :lol:

Metal for me personally, is about the music not the image.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:13 am

I think we tend to make it pretty clear that we don't do personal attacks on others based on their tastes. We all have our guilty pleasures that would be embarrassing to most people. Most of the stuff that people may think are personal attacks are just done in fun. Just busting someone's balls, if you will. I highly doubt, given the people I've met through this thing that anybody would exclude someone else from a group just because they like X band.

For example, do you think the power metal and death metal fans truly hate each other with all the jokes sent in each direction? No way! We're just lobbing friendly attacks/jokes towards each other based off our tastes, but in the end, it's friendly.

I think most people on this cruise seem pretty well adjusted and wouldn't be so immature as to exclude others just based off of musical taste. :roll:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:52 am

Nice 1 and a half year necro post :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:55 am

Metalwrath wrote:Nice 1 and a half year necro post :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Blame the spammer :oops:

I guess the conversation can still be kinda relevant with all the new people. Maybe?
    Last edited by mooyagi on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 am

Metalwrath wrote:Nice 1 and a half year necro post :lol:

No kiddin'! Thanks, spambot!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:03 am

Fatum11 wrote:Metal for me personally, is about the music not the image.

I disagree, you gotta wear Crocs for me to take you seriously ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 am

Holy shit, I didn't even realise this was a necro cus this post was before my time. I was actually just thinking while reading that "haven't we already beat this topic to death?" I'm not even gonna add my own opinions to this because it's something we've already discussed a thousand times. Cheers! :cheers:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:23 am

HOly timetravel post! Thanks a lot spambot!

Allison, please lock this piece of ancient trash :oops:

• sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am

Fatum11 wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote: like any metal festivals you will always have some people who aren't essentially metalheads and have just jumped on the bandwagon because it seems cool and one of the current popular images to be a part of.

You would probably see me as one of those people, I am the most un-metal person on this broad, if you haven't already noticed :lol: :lol:

Metal for me personally, is about the music not the image.

Agreed. I like the music, but no one expects me to be a metalhead until I tell them I like metal. Still, as someone who loves recruiting new people into the league of metal, to share in my enjoyment of the music it does bother me when people refuse to give it a chance because of some "metal" they heard on the radio.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:35 am

KevinP wrote:

I disagree, you gotta wear Crocs for me to take you seriously ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

You're the best, Kevin.
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm

KevinP wrote:

:lol: :lol: you will never see me in a pair of crocs, unless they make some that actually go with an outfit

ShoreSlayer wrote:HOly timetravel post! Thanks a lot spambot!

Allison, please lock this piece of ancient trash :oops:

:oops: I should really start to take notice of dates on these things!!!
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:14 pm

gnoff wrote:
    Just wait for the cruise, me and Kevin will be crocs wearing baldies, we just might come up with a cunning plan to kidnap people and put them in crocs, hahahaha :twisted:

I just might be sporting my Crocs too! ;)

Rob, I never read this thread last year. You are the coolest. Love ya man! Yes, the cougar is creeping on the penguin :)
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:30 pm

gnoff wrote:

More crocs = more better"

And no creeps is allowed to remove one of the r's in crocs!

Unless it is a "real" ho. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Heavy-D
    Oiler

by Heavy-D » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:53 pm

first one to step on my toes goes overboard ;)
    http://www.totalworlddomination.eu
    https://www.facebook.com/Soundguybe

Cruising with Vomitory, Dark Funeral and Bodyfarm
    ---------------------------

I have two work speeds. If you don't like this one you're going to hate the other one.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Goddess of Metal wrote:You are the coolest. Love ya man! Yes, the cougar is creeping on the penguin :)

Yay! I win!! :headbanger:

(Twice!) :twisted:

• Locked 23 posts Page 1 of 1