Post Reply 23 posts Page 1 of 1
Rob's photo / autograph project
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Rob's photo / autograph project

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Okay guys. So, here's the deal...

I may have mentioned before that I think my Dad is and has been as excited about my going on this trip (or more) as I am. He knows how stoked I've been and all year he's kept asking me how long til the trip and getting me to tell him all about it and the bands and you guys and such (even though he hasn't really got a musical or musical appreciation bone in his body). Then, just after xmas, some of you may recall I posted a picture with $500 American in it that he gave me as a going away gift. Well, he's not rich and he's also not well. He and my stepmom (Jean) are on pensions and much of that goes to extra costs for his care that their insurance sticks them with. He'd never have heard of me refusing the money or anything like that so, as soon as he did that, I got to thinking about what, if anything, I could bring him back or do to... not 'repay' him so much as just to show him how much his thoughtfulness means to me.

It took me a bit but I think I got something decent... A way to combine my enthusiasm for this trip with something unique to bring back for him.

So, first off, I bought a digital photo frame with the intention of loading it up with pictures of the trip for him and Jean just to have sort of like a photo album that I also intend to fill with other family pictures. They don't even have a computer and can barely understand how to make sure they're watching the HD channel on their TV when it's an option so the frame itself is gonna kind of freak them out. I can sort of see his face now looking at it and not really knowing wtf it is until I demonstrate it lol.

But that hardly felt like much so I thought a bit more. Then I got this idea to take something with me that sort of symbolizes him or them and kind of have that in a bunch of pictures with me, sort of as a way of bringing them along with me. The sense of the idea felt right but I couldn't think of anything really. The only thing that really gets my Dad stoked is sports but I couldn't think of a way to incorporate that into it. As an aside, I had also thought of getting a Canadian flag to collect signatures for myself but didn't have one and couldn't find one that wasn't fairly expensive and kept forgetting etc.

Well, today, I finally found one and was looking at it and thinking about what exactly I wanted to do with it... Then it dawned on me...

The 2 coolest sports things I enjoy with my Dad are NHL playoffs and international hockey. So the flag can play a role in this little plan in a few ways:

1 - I'm gonna write on the top of it - 70,000 TONS OF METAL and then, underneath that - WISH YOU WERE HERE (sort of like how ppl put that on postcards)
    2 - When I get autographs on it (including from forum members I hope!), instead of saying something metal to me, they can make it out to my Dad and say stuff like, I dunno, 'Metal Rules - Feel Better' or 'Fuck yeah! - Get Well Old Timer' or whatever
    3 - When I take photos with ppl, we/I/they can point to the Wish You Were Here part and/or maybe even in videos, have them saying stuff like that in #2 to the camera y'know?
    4 - He wouldn't likely want to keep the flag itself (or at least not as much as me lol) but I'd take it over there whenever we watch team Canada games and stuff and he'd always get a kick out of it
    5 - So yeah, all that and then I'm also gonna kind of do parts of my video diary of my trip addressed to him and thanking him n' shit

Any feedback, suggestions, ideas, ways to make it better, less goofy, more kickass would be greatly appreciated. All I ask is keep it positive. I have pretty thick skin and can take lots of the shit talk we share around here and laugh it off but not so much when it comes to my Dad or doing something meaningful for him. So, I don't expect everyone to think this is great but, if not, please laugh at it/me behind my back k? TIA
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Rob's photo / autograph project

by tmcasper » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:25 pm

I think you're a kickass son!! Great idea and I would love to help out in any way I can!! We shall send him our metal goodness vibes... :cheers: :headbanger:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:32 pm

tmcasper wrote:I think you're a kickass son!! Great idea and I would love to help out in any way I can!! We shall send him our metal goodness vibes... :cheers: :headbanger:

+1...that's so awesome how much thought you put into this! this makes me think i should do something similar for my mom...she IS metal and really wants to come but can't afford it OR get the time off work even if i somehow could pay for her!

i'm going to make a sign that says HI CAROL WISH YOU WERE HERE or something and take my pic with others holding it and show the pics to her, she would LOVE IT.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:28 pm

In addition to the flag you could get one of them photo montage type things..you know the big frame things that you put a bunch of pictures in from a specific event...get that and ppl can sign it (in pen so there's more room) and at least then he would have something to hang in his house...cause you said he would want you to have the flag.. :cheers:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 pm

rhiawiz wrote:i'm going to make a sign that says HI CAROL WISH YOU WERE HERE or something and take my pic with others holding it and show the pics to her, she would LOVE IT.

That rules! Spread the metal love!! :headbanger:

tmcasper wrote:In addition to the flag you could get one of them photo montage type things..you know the big frame things that you put a bunch of pictures in from a specific event...get that and ppl can sign it (in pen so there's more room) and at least then he would have something to hang

At first I didn't understand how I could get people to sign pictures of the cruise during the cruise but, did you mean have ppl sign the collage frame itself and then put pictures in it once I get home? Like, sign the thing that is essentially the 'spaces between' the pictures? If I understand that correctly, I think it would be a bit troublesome to haul that around the ship and stuff. I'm sure it would fit in my suitcase once taken out of the frame but just not sure about keeping it in good condition all around the ship n' stuff. Not sure I got it clear though :D Either way, thanks for the suggestion. I think the digi-frame will cover that part even without the autographs.

My buddy helped me brainstorm a cool idea for the flag tonight though. Not sure yet if it's too complicated or not as I did a bit of the flag modification tonight and found it's a bit of a pain to write on. But anyways...

1 - Left red stripe of flag for North American artist autographs
    2 - Right red stripe of flag for autographs of artists from other parts of the world
    3 - Maple leaf for Canadian forum friends to sign
    4 - White part of flag for forum friends from the rest of the world to sign

The flag really absorbs the sharpies fast and all sigs would have to be fairly big as a result of how broad the tips are. Anyone got any ideas of a type of pen that would be as effective but finer and more detailed than a sharpie?

DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:41 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:The flag really absorbs the sharpies fast and all sigs would have to be fairly big as a result of how broad the tips are. Anyone got any ideas of a type of pen that would be as effective but finer and more detailed than a sharpie?

they do make ultra fine tip sharpies if that helps
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:48 am

DragonLordJones wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:The flag really absorbs the sharpies fast and all sigs would have to be fairly big as a result of how broad the tips are. Anyone got any ideas of a type of pen that would be as effective but finer and more detailed than a sharpie?

they do make ultra fine tip sharpies if that helps

the fine tip sharpies are good! hit up a drug store or office supply store and grab a bunch. can't wait to meet you guys holy hell!
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:07 pm

ROB!....Such an awesome son you are!....and apparently you are that way because of your Dad teaching you well!....He deserves all that and all the get well wishes we can send him....I'll be happy to heflp you out too...any way I can!...GO DAD!!!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks guys!!!

Armed with a doze colored sharpies and a few black both fine and normal... Not sure how many band autographs I'll be collecting as I don't wanna hound ppl outside of the meet n' greets and most of them conflict with shows I wanna see but I WILL be hounding you guys for autographs most mercilessly so be prepared to make one up using your forum name or sign your real or both, whatever ya like!!

On a side note, I've fit everything I need into carry on so no luggage issues to contend with when I land so late in Miami on Monday... Sprint from plane to cab and then floor it to the flash mob at the port :beerwink:

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

I did never get to see this or sign anything. I don't have diarrhea of the pen nearly as bad I do of the mouth :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:41 am

Got 1 of 6 musician autographs I really wanted and about 9 forum members but I was nowhere near as ambitious with it on broad as I'd originally imagined. The flag was really awkward to write on and deal with in the wind etc and there was just way too much else to do. But hey, if I gather 10 signatures each year, it will be covered in about 20 :headbanger:
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathbringer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Deathbringer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 am

Damn, I wish I had seen this post before the cruise. I was wondering what was with the guy with the "Wish you were here" Canadian flag standing in front of me during Tyr (I think it was Tyr...). I would have signed it.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:29 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Got 1 of 6 musician autographs I really wanted and about 6 forum members but I was nowhere near as ambitious with it on broad as I'd originally imagined. The flag was really awkward to write on and deal with in the wind etc and there was just way too much else to do. But hey, if I gather 7 signatures each year, it will be covered in about 20 :headbanger:

i saw you on day 2 with it, ran down from the upper deck to the pool deck to try to sign, then away with a flash you went with your canadian cape!
    DrAmygdala
    Petty Officer

by DrAmygdala » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:39 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:Got 1 of 6 musician autographs I really wanted and about 6 forum members but I was nowhere near as ambitious with it on broad as I'd originally imagined. The flag was really awkward to write on and deal with in the wind etc and there was just way too much else to do. But hey, if I gather 7 signatures each year, it will be covered in about 20 :headbanger:

So does that mean you are not going to post a picture of the final product?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 pm

rhiawiz wrote:

i saw you on day 2 with it, ran down from the upper deck to the pool deck to try to sign, then away with a flash you went with your canadian cape!

Haha I had the same experience. Not sure where you were going, Rob, but you were moving fast.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:08 pm

Not sure 'finished' product applies as I'm hoping to make it a tradition but here's the start...

Top center of leaf - DrAmygdala (Sarah)
    Right of leaf - Andy (Inquisitor)
    Middle left down and over to the right - DragonLordJones (Jim), From Tim Keep On Derailing!, Pero, \m/ NuuX \m/, Amanda "Amandroid" \m/ from Florida, Hails! Brian Junkhead13, LU "AlabastRDisastR"
    Top left on red - TROUBLE - Bruce Franklin

Thanks to those who signed and those who would've if I'd been more focused. I look forward to stalking you all for some more next time :headbanger:
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

• NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:21 pm

\m/ I'M ON A FREAKING FLAG!!!! \m/
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:54 am

I'll be sure to sign that sumbitch next time...as long as you're not running the other way that is. :lol:
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:43 am

Damnit Rob!!.....I wish I would have gotten the chance to sign!!!...I will for sure next year!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:11 pm

debborah1 wrote:Damnit Rob!!.....I wish I would have gotten the chance to sign!!!...I will for sure next year!

Next year you're WEARING it!!

That way it's sure to get lots of notice haha!

Seriously though, it's hard to write on, requires something underneath to keep the sharpies from messing up whatever surface is being used and just wasn't generally very practical for signing on even indoors, never mind out in that wind. It's totally due to my forgetting or not bothering to have it out for signing that it didn't get more sigs. That said, I'm happy to have those that I did collect and yeah, more next year for sure!

Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pm

That's why I had the bands (and Debb, she's a celebrity on her own) sign a deck of "nudie" cards I got at a porno shop on south beach. It was easy to carry around in my pocket and I didn't need any backing. Almost got all 52 cards signed onbroad.
    Even got Britta from Cripper to sign one!
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Bentz! wrote:That's why I had the bands (and Debb, she's a celebrity on her own) sign a deck of "nudie" cards I got at a porno shop on south beach. It was easy to carry around in my pocket and I didn't need any backing. Almost got all 52 cards signed onbroad.
    Even got Britta from Cripper to sign one!

That was such an AWESOME Idea...I loved it.....I was trying to find the HOTTEST naked babe to write on lol....and thats funny you say that....cuz Tambre and the Forbidden crew nicknamed me "DEB the CELEB" on the cruise.... fkn hilarious....Matt & Mark were talkin about how so many people knew my name.....and didnt even recognize them.....and I got escorted to the front of the security line (at first I thought I was in trouble)....and they had to wait at the end of the line....RED CARPET!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:45 pm

^ ^ ^ ^
    Classic!