by Bolt_Thrower » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:48 am

What?! It looks like everyone is dying.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: RIP Gary Moore

by last_candle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:08 pm

sad news
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    wildchild
    Chief Petty Officer

by wildchild » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:08 pm

So sad !
    Yet another great musician who has joined in the jammingsessions in Rock Heaven ...RIP Gary Moore
    Deck 3 # 3506 2011
    Deck 2 # 2599 2012
    Of all the things I´ve lost, I miss my mind the most...

70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2011
    70000 TONS SURVIVOR 2012
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 pm

Wow... Such sad news. Admittedly I only know who he is because Nightwish covered "Over The Hills And Far Away" (and it was better than the original IMO), but 58 is way too early to die.

R.I.P. Gary Moore.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:50 am

Major, major bummer about Gary. RIP man.

As much as I love Nightwish's version of Over the Hills... the original still gives me goosebumps.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:50 am

Only got into Nightwish because of their cover of Over The Hills ("Whaaaat - who are these people covering Gary Moore? How dare they! Oh well, Ill check 'em out anyway...")

And as much as Nightwish are in my top 5 fave bands (along with Blind Guardian, Magnum, Alice Cooper, and Within Temptation) their version is nothing compared to the original.

First got into Gary's music when I saw the music video for Over The Hills played on a crappy Australian saturday morning music video TV show back in the 80s.

Drifted away from him when he started doing blues - he played it exceptionally, just not my scene though.

Always respected his ability as a guitarist though. Picked up his Live at Montreaux DVD not too long ago - spectacular stuff.

R.I.P. Gary. I hope you are tearing it up with Phil once more, wherever you are.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 am

another great musician gone ... sad indeed. :cry:

at least he left us a legacy of awesome music ... :cheers: to the fallen Rock in Peace
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 am

Rest in Peace our brother....may you live on forever in the music you have left behind.
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:29 am

Updated info on details of Gary's passing. Not gonna quote cuz the article seems a bit sensationalized/disrespectful. Read at your own risk I suppose.

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=7816
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Updated info on details of Gary's passing. Not gonna quote cuz the article seems a bit sensationalized/disrespectful. Read at your own risk I suppose.

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=7816

That article is bullshit. They are quoting The Sun UK - crap journalism at its best.

Other reports from more reliable news sources claim he died of a heart attack.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Apocalyptica-/-Turilli Leone's Rhapsody-/-Fleshgod-Apocaplypse-/-Kalmah-/-Michael-Sweet-/-Halestorm
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Neopera-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-
  • VikingGirl
    Crewman

by VikingGirl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:18 am

All of the papers (even the respected ones here in Norway) stated the other day that he died from choking on his own barf :shock: Now they have changed the headlines, stating he died from a heart attack. Still sad! He just sold out the opening show for a big blues festival here in Norway. There were articles in the papers just 3-4 days before he died, saying the tickets sold on on record time!
    Eva

Cabin #1570
    Rum Runner
    Petty Officer

by Rum Runner » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I saw this news on my Yahoo homepage Sunday afternoon and sat in front of the moniter with my mouth open in shock. I've been listening to all of his music that I own all week now. (Mentioned a couple of times on the "listening" thread.) The guy I took music theory lessons from was a huge fan and got me into Gary when I was in college. I got hooked pretty quickly. His tone was just amazing and his two-step string bends were frickin' terrifying. I never had a chance to see him live but I do have quite a bit of video footage in my collection.

Cheers to you Gary. I'll miss you.
    "And the ship sails on / Back to the north / Through the fog and ice / And the albatross follows on" -- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Post Reply 14 posts Page 1 of 1