Post Reply 5001 posts
Hockeyagi!! - 2011/2066 race for the cup!!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

Re: Hockeyagi!! - 2011/2012 race for the cup!!

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:44 pm

mooyagi wrote:The situation sounds very similar to Chivas de Guadalajara in Mexican soccer. I don't know if it's the case nowadays (it may very well be), but they had a policy of only allowing Mexicans to be involved with the organization, including players.

Well it is a Mexican team..............
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:51 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:The situation sounds very similar to Chivas de Guadalajara in Mexican soccer. I don't know if it's the case nowadays (it may very well be), but they had a policy of only allowing Mexicans to be involved with the organization, including players.

From Wikipedia (I know, deep research) it states Chivas is the only Mexican team with that policy. The league is in Mexico but it's open to people from all over the world. Like pretty much all major professional sports leagues.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:57 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:

From Wikipedia (I know, deep research) it states Chivas is the only Mexican team with that policy. The league is in Mexico but it's open to people from all over the world. Like pretty much all major professional sports leagues.

I actually have no idea since I never watch futbol but had to chime in :mrgreen:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:02 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:Well it is a Mexican team..............

I actually have no idea since I never watch futbol but had to chime in :mrgreen:

I know. :roll: :lol:
    scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:08 pm

What if Cunneyworth was a great coach? Would you not give him a chance to learn French before complaining about his lack of language skill? And what about non French Habs fans? Are they looked down upon for not being French enough by other fans?

1. He is not a great coach. So there's no debate over Cunneyworth.

2. One of the greatest Habs coach we've had is Scotty Bowman. Probably the best coach in the history of hockey, too. He knew a bit of French before he came to Montreal, and then learned it quite well, and now he speaks it quite fluently. But he knew a bit of French, and he was good. Cunneyworth knows nothing of the French language, knows nothing about the club (he arrived at the start of the season, was promoted when Perry Pearn was fired, and then was catapulted as the head coach, I don't think he expected it to happen this fast), and he arrives at the middle of a shitty season. So yes, people give him a cold welcome, but I'd say the context is the problem, much more than the language barrier anyway.

As for the English Habs fans, they have their place as much as the French speaking fans. I'd say it's about 70% French - 30% English, and English Habs fans are as passionate as frenchies. But when you have about 70% of your fanbase that speaks another language than most players, it's nice to hear the coach speak in French after a game. It's always been this way, anyway.

You know, you Americans speak English, so of course there's no language barrier, and that's perfect this way for you guys. But without offense, there are other realities, other countries, other areas where English is not the main language. Quebec is the only place in North America where French is spoken by the majority of the population. As I said, it's a reality, and even in sports, it should be considered. No one forces players to learn French, but many do. We love the players that don't speak French at all, too (Saku Koivu was a fan favorite, after all), but as for the coach, we love 'em bilingual!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:19 pm

1st mistake: You're trying to have a discussion involving CULTURAL SENSITIVITY with the Bostonian mooyagicorn... Good luck with that ;)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:35 pm

I'm not asking about evaluating Cunneyworth as a coach, just throwing a name in there to the hypothetical language situation. Do you believe Scotty Bowman would have ever had a chance to coach the team if he didn't know a lick of French going in? Would the Canadiens have held themselves from getting one of the greatest coaches to preserve their Frenchness?

I really wouldn't care if my team's coach didn't speak English. As long as he could reach his players and be a good coach, I'd be fine with it.

And what are you talking about? America is the center of the universe and the only thing that matters! Plus, have you heard the way some American speak English? They've got their own languages. Look no further than Boston :lol:

The soccer parallels really keep popping up for me. Look at Europe. Hell, even the national teams can have coaches/players/etc. that have no ties to the country/culture/language.

Would we all prefer a "local" guy? Of course! But in the end, it's only sports and I'd hate to see my team deny a qualified person a role with it just because they didn't fit the culture of the region. A successful league team gives me lots of local pride and I'd want my team to not hold itself back for something like language.

In the end, it's really a non-issue but it's lots of fun to argue :mrgreen:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:37 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:1st mistake: You're trying to have a discussion involving CULTURAL SENSITIVITY with the Bostonian mooyagicorn... Good luck with that ;)

Yeah, homeboy don't play that game :deathhorns:
    Whiskeyjack
    Petty Officer

by Whiskeyjack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm

Throwing this into the Cunneyworth fire:

Canadiens Apologize to Fans for Non-French Speaking Coach
    http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384029
    Whiskeyjack
    Petty Officer

by Whiskeyjack » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 pm

mooyagi wrote:The soccer parallels really keep popping up for me. Look at Europe. Hell, even the national teams can have coaches/players/etc. that have no ties to the country/culture/language.

I've read a bit and met a few that don't like this in British footsoccer, sort of in the same way Cunneyworth is derided. They complain that the national coach (Italian, I believe) and the amount of non-British players and coaches/managers is weakening the development of English coaches and players by denying them a lot of the top-level opportunites that exist in the country. Sort of like... the more help you bring in, the less your own lads improve, thus you're stuck having to bring in even more outside quality.

...and whenever the national team fucks up, it seems like SOMEBODY is going to publish an article suggesting "that damned Italian Capello can't communicate with ENGLISH players!" Language hate! :lol:
  • NuuX
    Ensign

by NuuX » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:18 am

Whiskeyjack wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:The soccer parallels really keep popping up for me. Look at Europe. Hell, even the national teams can have coaches/players/etc. that have no ties to the country/culture/language.

I've read a bit and met a few that don't like this in British footsoccer, sort of in the same way Cunneyworth is derided. They complain that the national coach (Italian, I believe) and the amount of non-British players and coaches/managers is weakening the development of English coaches and players by denying them a lot of the top-level opportunites that exist in the country. Sort of like... the more help you bring in, the less your own lads improve, thus you're stuck having to bring in even more outside quality.

...and whenever the national team fucks up, it seems like SOMEBODY is going to publish an article suggesting "that damned Italian Capello can't communicate with ENGLISH players!" Language hate! :lol:

Naaah, that has nothing to do with that. The problem with English football is that they overrate their native players and their national team. They are like those guys in high school who bully everyone and then end up working as a janitor or something. It's not that they don't give chance to young players, they just don't have the quality so they have to bring the foreign guns to do the job.

PS: Good to see Kings on the bounce. They got rid of Murray about two years too late :D
    2011 @ 5535
    2012 @ 5527
    2014 @ 2039
    2015 @ 9675
    2011/2012 Hockeyagi Champion
    2017/2018 Hockeyagi Champion
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:16 am

mooyagi wrote:And Lundqvist denies Biere's pentaly shot with 19 seconds left to preserve my hat trick! :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Was it just me, or were the refs doing anything and everything they could to help Philly at the end?
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:20 am

KDibildox wrote:I actually have no idea since I never watch futbol but had to chime in :mrgreen:

It's comforting to know you're keeping an eye on us. :P :?

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:26 am

scyll wrote:I'd say it's about 70% French - 30% English, and English Habs fans are as passionate as frenchies. But when you have about 70% of your fanbase that speaks another language than most players, it's nice to hear the coach speak in French after a game. It's always been this way, anyway.

If they have any desire to promote their brand, then they'll speak English. Reporters outside of Quebec will be too lazy to follow a team that they can't communicate with. Lowers their visibility, lowers their income, lowers their ability to get marquee players.

It's been mentioned before about putting a team in Mexico City. Aside from the ridiculousness of that (coming from a Texan), if they only spoke Spanish, they'd never succeed in the NHL because no reporters would bother.

scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:45 am

EvilDan wrote:
    scyll wrote:I'd say it's about 70% French - 30% English, and English Habs fans are as passionate as frenchies. But when you have about 70% of your fanbase that speaks another language than most players, it's nice to hear the coach speak in French after a game. It's always been this way, anyway.

If they have any desire to promote their brand, then they'll speak English. Reporters outside of Quebec will be too lazy to follow a team that they can't communicate with. Lowers their visibility, lowers their income, lowers their ability to get marquee players.

It's been mentioned before about putting a team in Mexico City. Aside from the ridiculousness of that (coming from a Texan), if they only spoke Spanish, they'd never succeed in the NHL because no reporters would bother.

Every player speaks English. They have to, anyway, all strategies are made and practiced in English, and no one has any problem with that in Quebec. We just want SOME players to speak a bit a French and the coach to be bilingual, I'm not asking for an unilingual French team! Reporters can communicate with every player in the Habs, as they can with the players of any team.

Just asking for a bit of French bothers you all that much? :roll: :P
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:08 am

scyll wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:

Every player speaks English. They have to, anyway, all strategies are made and practiced in English, and no one has any problem with that in Quebec. We just want SOME players to speak a bit a French and the coach to be bilingual, I'm not asking for an unilingual French team! Reporters can communicate with every player in the Habs, as they can with the players of any team.

Just asking for a bit of French bothers you all that much? :roll: :P

Not really. Just pointing out the business perspective, since it hadn't been mentioned. Although, the frenchness does make me want to re-evaluate my support for the team. ;)

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I actually have no idea since I never watch futbol but had to chime in :mrgreen:

It's comforting to know you're keeping an eye on us. :P :?

I see everything! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 pm

No Futbol.... All Hockey!!

Canada VS Russia!!

Rink packed..( the 50-50 draws have been huge being as much as $87,000! ) all games the rinks are sold out, many beers have been sold
    Sweden is already through after beating Finland( sorry folk metal fans!! :lol: )

BRING IT ON!!!

:pound:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:38 pm

7 penalties on home ice. Dammit, bloody Caps. At least I picked up the Phaneuf question. Hopefully the Wings hold off Dallas, sorry Dan ;)
    Life would be tragic if it weren't funny.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Dear Canada and the Flames tonight:

I hate the Russians. I hate the Russians sooooooooooooooo bad.

:bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:40 pm

As much as I'd love to join you in your hatred Marlo, wtf??? we totally beat ourselves in SO many ways tonight.

Inexperience, immaturity and lack of discipline and composure taking dumb penalties when there was lots of hockey left to play just dug an insurmountable hole. Came as close as we possibly could have to tying it up in the end there but wasn't our night. Watching that game, I really regretted that we got the bye into the semi and that our initial pool was so weak and offered us pretty much zero competition with which to prepare for a tough elimination game :cry:

As an aside, how the hell did the commentators pretty much completely avoid talking about how that one Russian player totally ran over our goalie on that 4th goal? Me and my buddy were screaming at the tv wondering if we were the only ones that thought it mattered at all until they finally gave it a passing comment about 5 minutes later. Surprised our boys didn't respond to that either and take the guy's head off :?

I hate that we're not in it but still gotta say that's a good lookin' matchup for the gold medal game.

vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 pm

I know. You're right (I hate saying those two words to ANYONE), Rob. :cry:

But why... why always the Russians? Did we not go through this last year??? Nail biting, close match to get our asses kicked by the Russians? I know we didn't play that well at all during the first two periods but damn it. I don't care if we deserved a win or not, I wanted it :cry:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Typical guy eh? :?

Trying to console a woman with logic when all she needs is to be told it's okay, we'll get 'em next time now here, have a beer/hug ;)

Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:29 pm

I'll give my commentary some other time..

Great Fucking Comeback though!! Old Time Hockey!
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:02 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Typical guy eh? :?

Trying to console a woman with logic when all she needs is to be told it's okay, we'll get 'em next time now here, have a beer/hug ;)

:lol: Logic means nothing when feelings, hockey and losing to the Russians are involved but thanks for trying :pound:
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 am

shaneos wrote:7 penalties on home ice. Dammit, bloody Caps. At least I picked up the Phaneuf question. Hopefully the Wings hold off Dallas, sorry Dan ;)

Ok no idea what I looked at last night, only 4 penalties to the Caps.

Commiserations to the Canadian team, a tough loss. Guess now it's go Sweden eh?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 am

scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:11 am

As an aside, how the hell did the commentators pretty much completely avoid talking about how that one Russian player totally ran over our goalie on that 4th goal? Me and my buddy were screaming at the tv wondering if we were the only ones that thought it mattered at all until they finally gave it a passing comment about 5 minutes later. Surprised our boys didn't respond to that either and take the guy's head off

I'm totally with you on that, that was an absolute disgrace to see the goalie get hurt without anybody reacting. Also, the dirty hit on Jenner should have been a 5 and a game (it would been so in the NHL, no doubt about it), and instead, it's the Canadian player that got a game misconduct and a 5. Huberdeau, our best player in the tournament in my opinion, got a 10 for a minor unsportsmanlike behavior (ridiculous penalty considering the mvoe he made), and the Russians kept diving all game all long, agonizing as soon as a stick or a glove went a little high. Frustrating game to watch, but...

WHAT AN EPIC FUCKING GAME!! The comeback was unbelievable, as much as the atmosphere. And that post hit by Strome neat the end, my... Good old hockey!

And as much as I hated the referees in that game, Canadian players are to blame for the loss. Too many penalties, crappy def, bad goaltending (it's been like this for a couple of years now in the Junior Champs, last good goalie was Price in 2007). I would have loved a comeback, but Canada deserved the loss!
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Okay, feeling better about last night considering what I have ahead of me tonight - one of my friends is taking me to the Czech v. Slovakia game tonight 5th row from the ice:

:viking: :deathmetal: :stagger: :chug: :3drunks: :pound: :party: :cool:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:59 pm

a lot of close matches - haven't seen a single minute on tv, though
    (it's not like the Junior WC gets any airtime here)
    I must say, I would have preferred a Finland vs. Canada, too
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    shaneos
    Chief Petty Officer

by shaneos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:04 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Okay, feeling better about last night considering what I have ahead of me tonight - one of my friends is taking me to the Czech v. Slovakia game tonight 5th row from the ice:

Nice! Should be fun.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:41 am

Montreal scores 7 goals, and not 1 is a power play goal? Fuck you, HTC!

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 am

Bit of a buzz in town already about Saturday Ryan. Maybe we can watch it on Skype with the rest of the skype clan. First chance for your fans to rub it in our faces and for us to quiet 'em. Can't wait!! :headbanger:

Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:24 am

vikingbitch wrote:Okay, feeling better about last night considering what I have ahead of me tonight - one of my friends is taking me to the Czech v. Slovakia game tonight 5th row from the ice:

Holy shit, man, verdy verdy jealous!! :viking:
    2012 - You never forget your first time. And MDB.
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2015 - Booked early, disappointing lineup.
    2016 - Awesome. Best lineup since Barge.
    2018 - Good lineup, great time.
    2021 - Hypocrisy or bust.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:55 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Bit of a buzz in town already about Saturday Ryan. Maybe we can watch it on Skype with the rest of the skype clan. First chance for your fans to rub it in our faces and for us to quiet 'em. Can't wait!! :headbanger:

That could be fun! Hasn't been much buzz up here yet. Guess it means more to you folks. We already won the war ;)

Don't think Vancouver fans would be wise to try and rub it in our faces. We do have the cup still. Regular season game means very little in comparison. :deathhorns:
    Ogre
    Petty Officer

by Ogre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 pm

5-2 Czechs, eh? How was the game?? (Like I need to ask, but I want to know, anyway, haha!) :lol: :lol:
    2012 - You never forget your first time. And MDB.
    Barge - Ruled. Period.
    2015 - Booked early, disappointing lineup.
    2016 - Awesome. Best lineup since Barge.
    2018 - Good lineup, great time.
    2021 - Hypocrisy or bust.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Boy the Flames are looking good against the Bruins so far tonight, eh? :P

5-0 B's with 17:30 left in the second period :headbanger:
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:20 pm

Ogre wrote:

5-2 Czechs, eh? How was the game?? (Like I need to ask, but I want to know, anyway, haha!) :lol: :lol:

Oh it was awesome! Killer seats, good time and some GREAT hockey! I love the Juniors the best for Hockey, so much more intense and the games are always so exciting to watch. Young guys that account for good eye candy trying to make a name and reputation for themselves and throwing what nationalistic pride can inspire in there too certainly doesn't hurt. Really glad I was able to hit up two of the games this year, I've been to hundreds of hockey games before but never a Juniors game and it was high on my bucket list :beerbang:

Watching the Sweden vs Russia game right now.

GO SWEDEN!! KILL THOSE BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Okay... 7-0 and the game is still going.....

:bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:

Cheering for Vancouver is something I don't typically do, but they better kick the shit out of Boston this weekend :evil:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:35 pm

vikingbitch wrote:Okay... 7-0 and the game is still going.....

:bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:

Cheering for Vancouver is something I don't typically do, but they better kick the shit out of Boston this weekend :evil:

It's only the second period too :D

I hope the Bruins aren't wasting all their goals tonight though
  • Post Reply 5001 posts