Post Reply 371 posts
The 2011 BASEBALL Thread (*Hate FULL*)
    mooyagi
    Captain

Re: The 2011 BASEBALL Thread (*Hate FULL*)

by mooyagi » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:51 am

Michael D. wrote:Even thou I dislike the Yankees, I have to take my hat off and congratulate Jeter on his 3000 hit. I’m glad that he did not hit that while playing against the Twins. Twins vs. Sox. Here’s to the Twins. :cheers:

I was like WTF? We aren't playing the Twins! Damn having two Sox teams in the league :lol: Would be a fun matchup to pad our stats though, granted the O's are doing a bang up job of that too :cool:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 pm

D’oh, I hope that I did not make a faux pax. I enjoyed watching Jeter hit his 3000 hit as the high light of the sports news the other day, sorry for not paying attention to who the Yankees were playing but since I don’t really like the Yankees I don’t care who they play against other than when the Twins have to play against them. I normally have to shun away. ;-(
    But, whatever I can do to pad the Red Sox’s stats I am open to suggestions. :roll:
    Oh, I guess I should have written the White Sox.
    :P :lol:
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 pm

talking about th yanks, gonna see the game vs the jays this saturday!

Got some nice ticket in the right field! hope for a lot of long ball!
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Wicker Man wrote:talking about th yanks, gonna see the game vs the jays this saturday!

I will be rooting very hard for the Blue Jays in that series :lol: Anyone gonna waste their time tonight and watch the All Star Game? Might've already started even. I'm just gonna look later and see who won home field advantage (worst rule ever).
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Suspensions have been given out for the exchanging of pleasantries in the last Red Sox/Orioles series. Not surprised at any of the disciplinary action there.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6770133/boston-red-sox-david-ortiz-baltimore-orioles-kevin-gregg-others-suspended-fined-brawl
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:21 am

Yeah it sux that the Red Sox throw at people intentionally and then get mad if someone is trying to pitch inside at them (without actually trying to hit them)... but oh well!!!

I did think that Kevin Gregg telling Big Papi to take his base (because he was just looking at Gregg and hardly moving..(dumbass)).. was pretty funny :lol:

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:49 am

Ktulured55 wrote:Yeah it sux that the Red Sox throw at people intentionally and then get mad if someone is trying to pitch inside at them (without actually trying to hit them)... but oh well!!!

I did think that Kevin Gregg telling Big Papi to take his base (because he was just looking at Gregg and hardly moving..(dumbass)).. was pretty funny :lol:

I'd stare down the guy if he threw at me 3 times too. Gregg was throwing at him don't even try to sugar coat that one :lol: Just some frustration from getting their asses handed to them in that series.

Papi does definitely complain the most about anything to do with what goes on while he's up to bat. It's pretty annoying. Really wanna know exactly what Gregg said to him that set him off though. Beckett's comments afterwards were dumb too. He needs to shut up.

Of course, the O's can't really talk too much smack. They're 18.5 games out. What was that about a turnaround year where they threaten to play .500 ball and get out of the gutter? :P
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Wicker Man wrote:talking about th yanks, gonna see the game vs the jays this saturday!

I will be rooting very hard for the Blue Jays in that series :lol:

First game was awesome! 16-7 jays!!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 pm

Wicker Man wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Nice! :lol: Didn't even know there were games yesterday. Thought it all started back up today.
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Wicker Man wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

:evil:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:19 pm

I'm interested to see how things play out in the 2nd half of the season. Lots of tight races so far. Hopefully the Tigers don't shit down their leg in this weekend's series against the White Sox.
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Bentz! wrote:I'm interested to see how things play out in the 2nd half of the season. Lots of tight races so far. Hopefully the Tigers don't shit down their leg in this weekend's series against the White Sox.

Where do they stand in relation to the sox right now?
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Bentz! wrote:I'm interested to see how things play out in the 2nd half of the season. Lots of tight races so far. Hopefully the Tigers don't shit down their leg in this weekend's series against the White Sox.

Good potential races developing in both of the Central divisions. Will be interesting to see. I had picked the Tigers and the Reds to win their respective divisions so we'll have to wait and see if I was right.

Here's the standings: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/index.jsp?tcid=mm_mlb_standings
    Detroit is tied with Cleveland (really?) atop the division with Chicago 5 back

Might as well make some predictions for the second half:

Al East: Red Sox (Suck it, Kevin :headbanger: )
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Rangers
    AL Wild Card: Douchebags

NL East: Phillies
    NL Central: Reds
    NL West: Giants
    NL Wild Card: Braves
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Cleveland has no business being tied for 1st place, but they've got something working for them this season. Chicago and Minnesota are pretty crafty/veteran teams so you can't count them out.

Should be really interesting to see how things pan out in the Central. Unfortunately the AL Wild Card will be coming out of the East again this year, so only one team from the Central will make it.
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer

by TheBigJankowski » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Bentz! wrote:Cleveland has no business being tied for 1st place, but they've got something working for them this season. Chicago and Minnesota are pretty crafty/veteran teams so you can't count them out.

Should be really interesting to see how things pan out in the Central. Unfortunately the AL Wild Card will be coming out of the East again this year, so only one team from the Central will make it.

Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! :lol:

My Tribe won't win the series this year, but I'm enjoying the ride. We've got a young team, so the slow down didn't surprise me. Got the 2nd half off to a good start last night. Need to keep beating up on the Orioles tonight.
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:42 pm

TheBigJankowski wrote:Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! :lol:

Damn, right! That's all you deserve for being an Indians fan!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Bentz! wrote:
    TheBigJankowski wrote:Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! Hate! :lol:

Damn, right! That's all you deserve for being an Indians fan!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Look at the AL Central fans. Pretending like they're rooting for good teams. Leave it up to us snobs from the Northeast :beerwink:

Indians to me are really surprising the run they're on. Figured it wouldn't last long but they're still doing it. They'd be my surprise team if the Pirates hadn't suddenly discovered respectability. How the hell did that happen?
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 pm

mooyagi wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Look at the AL Central fans. Pretending like they're rooting for good teams. Leave it up to us snobs from the Northeast :beerwink:

I enjoy baseball much more knowing that my team isn't a lock to go to they playoffs every year like you "snobs" :P :D
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Bentz! wrote:
    mooyagi wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: Look at the AL Central fans. Pretending like they're rooting for good teams. Leave it up to us snobs from the Northeast :beerwink:

I enjoy baseball much more knowing that my team isn't a lock to go to they playoffs every year like you "snobs" :P :D

We missed the playoffs last year :evil:
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:46 pm

OK, fine, a 66.666% chance of going to the playoffs. :P
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:54 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Ktulured55 wrote:Yeah it sux that the Red Sox throw at people intentionally and then get mad if someone is trying to pitch inside at them (without actually trying to hit them)... but oh well!!!

I'd stare down the guy if he threw at me 3 times too. Gregg was throwing at him don't even try to sugar coat that one :lol: Just some frustration from getting their asses handed to them in that series.

Papi does definitely complain the most about anything to do with what goes on while he's up to bat. It's pretty annoying. Really wanna know exactly what Gregg said to him that set him off though. Beckett's comments afterwards were dumb too. He needs to shut up.

Of course, the O's can't really talk too much smack. They're 18.5 games out. What was that about a turnaround year where they threaten to play .500 ball and get out of the gutter? :P

Gregg definitely wasn't.. I have been watching him pitch all year... he never gives in.. he tries his best to hit the spot he is aiming for which is never the middle of the plate... a good place to pitch Big Papi is inside so lots of pitchers will but he's not afraid of going too far in.. just does his best to hit his exact spot. If he wanted to hit him, he would have hit him, Big Papi is a good sized target and much larger than the pinpoint target of the black part of the inside part of home plate that he was aiming for.

And the O's are still really doing better than they were last year but their starting pitching has completely fallen apart.... no one is pitching good right now except for many in the bullpen for once.

Papi should have not been dramatic and stared at him and just played the damn game. Gregg was just annoyed by what he was doing and so said something (which he could have held back, but just did not) . He didn't want to put up with the cockiness at that moment so had to say something.

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving Papi of any wrongdoing here. He deserved the suspension though I see he's conveniently appealing so he can play in the series against the Rays (losing the first game right now - spot start for Andrew Miller went horribly :evil: ) but Gregg was definitely throwing towards him. Trying to send a message that they aren't gonna just lie down. I'd be staring him down if I was Papi too, but I wouldn't have charged just cuz he said something. I would've pointed towards the part of the Monster that shows the standings :lol:

For the record, I think they went too harsh on Gregg with the suspension too. I'd rather the umps and the league let baseball police itself but when it comes down to charging the mound, they have to step in and fair or not, both sides in a fight will feel the wrath of the commissioner's office.
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:02 pm

7-1 jays!!! can't wait for tomorrow's game!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Wicker Man wrote:7-1 jays!!! can't wait for tomorrow's game!

Nice! Makes up for the Red Sox loss
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:40 am

The O's still can't win right now... just like old times.. :roll:

Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:11 pm

Bentz! wrote:Cleveland has no business being tied for 1st place, but they've got something working for them this season. Chicago and Minnesota are pretty crafty/veteran teams so you can't count them out.

Ha Ha, You just watch because I can see it coming that the Twins will come up from behind, sit on top and the central division will go down to the wire again this year and be decided by ONE GAME!!!!! :heavydrink:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:48 am

ESPN Sports Science bits are awesome. Watching Baseball Tonight and it gave some crazy stats for it. Made an argument that a hitter with the same BA as DiMaggio had that season has a 12X higher chance of being hit by lightning than he does of breaking the hit streak :shock:
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer

by TheBigJankowski » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:25 am

Ktulured55 wrote:The O's still can't win right now... just like old times.. :roll:

Maybe the O's can move to Indianapolis and then Baltimore can steal the Indians. :lol:
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:27 am

TheBigJankowski wrote:
    Ktulured55 wrote:The O's still can't win right now... just like old times.. :roll:

Maybe the O's can move to Indianapolis and then Baltimore can steal the Indians. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The O's have a chance tonight. Sox game against Tampa ended at 11PM Pacific time last night (16 innings) so they're gonna be pretty damn tired.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:00 pm

:shock: 15-10 Pitching was optional in that one
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer

by TheBigJankowski » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:04 am

Windians took 2 from the Twinkies last night. 1 game up on Detroit. Trade deadline is in 2 weeks, Indians need another arm in the rotation and a bat.
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm

TheBigJankowski wrote:Windians took 2 from the Twinkies last night. 1 game up on Detroit. Trade deadline is in 2 weeks, Indians need another arm in the rotation and a bat.

Oh, that hurts. :lol:
    The loss is all do to our HUMID, and HOT weather. :lol: :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:07 pm

TheBigJankowski wrote:Windians took 2 from the Twinkies last night. 1 game up on Detroit. Trade deadline is in 2 weeks, Indians need another arm in the rotation and a bat.

We'll give you John Lackey and JD Drew free of charge! :P Please?
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm

TheBigJankowski wrote:

F that. The O's are part of Baltimore forever..... Indianapolis can just take the tribe straight for themselves! (or maybe the Reds...)

Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:33 pm

mooyagi wrote::shock: 15-10 Pitching was optional in that one

Yeah, at least we got 1 out of 3, ended our skid against the Red Sox. Next time we are winning at least 2.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Ktulured55 wrote:
    TheBigJankowski wrote:

F that. The O's are part of Baltimore forever..... Indianapolis can just take the tribe straight for themselves! (or maybe the Reds...)

I think you missed the football parallel in his statement :lol:

Not too surprised the O's took one. Wouldve expected it to be the game that was after the 16 inning one but ah well. Keep throwing minor leaguers out there and they'll lose a couple of games. Will be interested to see what happens before the deadline. Sox are gonna pass on Beltran because they don't want to lose any more major prospects after losing a few in the Gonzalez trade. Josh Reddick has done very well in right but can he keep it up? Maybe we get a veteran right handed outfielder and a mid to bottom of the rotation starter. Who do we get rid of though?
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:51 pm

mooyagi wrote:

I got the football parallel, but didn't like it. Having your football team or baseball team is no laughing matter, so I adjusted it to an alternate 'story' that does not involve the O's moving to Indy. That would make me throw up.

mooyagi wrote:Not too surprised the O's took one. Wouldve expected it to be the game that was after the 16 inning one but ah well. Keep throwing minor leaguers out there and they'll lose a couple of games. Will be interested to see what happens before the deadline. Sox are gonna pass on Beltran because they don't want to lose any more major prospects after losing a few in the Gonzalez trade. Josh Reddick has done very well in right but can he keep it up? Maybe we get a veteran right handed outfielder and a mid to bottom of the rotation starter. Who do we get rid of though?

Throwing minor leaguers out there? Like 1/3 of the O's ? :lol: :lol: :lol: The Red Sox have like 2.

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Ktulured55 wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Not too surprised the O's took one. Wouldve expected it to be the game that was after the 16 inning one but ah well. Keep throwing minor leaguers out there and they'll lose a couple of games. Will be interested to see what happens before the deadline. Sox are gonna pass on Beltran because they don't want to lose any more major prospects after losing a few in the Gonzalez trade. Josh Reddick has done very well in right but can he keep it up? Maybe we get a veteran right handed outfielder and a mid to bottom of the rotation starter. Who do we get rid of though?

Throwing minor leaguers out there? Like 1/3 of the O's ? :lol: :lol: :lol: The Red Sox have like 2.

:lol: Good point. It's just been a patchwork rotation for us for a little while now. The kid you beat is a minor leaguer though.

Ktulured55 wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

I got the football parallel, but didn't like it. Having your football team or baseball team is no laughing matter, so I adjusted it to an alternate 'story' that does not involve the O's moving to Indy. That would make me throw up.

Agree, I can't even imagine losing a team.
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Yeah, you would only be doing this for a long while.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:16 pm

Wow! If the Sox win tonight (just started and it's Beckett against the Mariners) Francona will get his 1000th win as a manager. Do it for him Sox! :headbanger:
Post Reply 371 posts