Post Reply 2419 posts
The Fitness Thread
  • User avatar
    KevinP
    Commander
    Posts: 8612
    Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by KevinP » Sun May 22, 2011 3:33 am

    onenight wrote: There is a good possibility your shoes may not be right for your running form. I used to have all kinds of leg and feet issues when I first started running. My advice is to find a specialty running store (if you have'nt already done so) most of the time these people know what they're doing and they'll have you run on a treadmill or run outside to see how you run and land on your feet and they'll fit you with a shoe that's made for your running form, or closest to it. Expect to spend around a hundred bucks but they're well worth it. I also developed plantar fascitis and I ended up going to a foot dr. and he fitted me with running orthotics and within 2 weeks the pain was gone and has'nt been back since. I never run without em.
    I can almost guarentee your knee pain is caused by your shoes. But don't take my word for it, find a good running store.


    The odd thing was I was running for 6-7 months before I had ANY issue. And I did the wet foot test, to make sure I got the right type of shoe (pronate, etc, etc.)

    But I could be in the market for new shoes, so I might go to a running store this time to get "professionally fitted" :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

    BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

    The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by KDibildeaux » Sun May 22, 2011 6:10 pm

    hopefully it'll get better :D
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • User avatar
    DemonNIN
    Midshipman
    Posts: 699
    Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: PA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by DemonNIN » Thu May 26, 2011 3:11 pm

    back on the fitness wagon...well worked out on vacation but managed to put on like 3 lbs or so...hope to get back to where I was before I left
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
    CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
    CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
    CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
    CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
    CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
    CABIN #6707 ; 2016
    CABIN #6407 ; 2017
  • User avatar
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1602
    Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:00 pm
    Location: A Happy Little Vegemite in Poutine Land

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by Evican » Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 pm

    So over the weekend I tried out for the Australian Roller Derby team that will be part of the Derby World Cup in Canada in December. (Not to get into the team as I'm not quite that good yet, it was more to test my own skill against some of the better skaters in the state)

    Let's just say that it was as hard as it was fun. Especially the last drill which was an "updown" or "burpie" exercise that was kind of like the beep test. Skate all the way to the furthest line, 10 updowns, skate back, 10 updowns, skate to the second furthest line, 10 updowns, skate back etc.

    It was such a blast skating with girls from all over the state, especially with one of the Sydney Roller Derby jammers that is one of my favourites. I even assissted her for a pass through the pack, but she got a major for track cutting. Oops!
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Thu May 26, 2011 8:18 pm

    Evican wrote:I even assissted her for a pass through the pack, but she got a major for track cutting. Oops!

    Haha! That must've been a major thrill for you Rach! WTG! :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1602
    Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:00 pm
    Location: A Happy Little Vegemite in Poutine Land

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by Evican » Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 am

    ShoreSlayer wrote:Haha! That must've been a major thrill for you Rach! WTG! :headbanger:

    It was so awesome! And it's good to get our league name out there among the other leagues and show off some of our players so that they want to bout against us. It was also partly as league exposure that I went out there too. I would probably die with laughter if I was actually chosen for the team. On a not so great note, there was one jam that I got hit and went down four times and twisted my knee slightly and it still hasn't gotten noticeably better, so I might have to see someone about it. :evil:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by KDibildeaux » Sat May 28, 2011 6:54 pm

    that sucks! hopefully it'll get better quickly!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • User avatar
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am
    Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ragnaröks_roller » Mon May 30, 2011 3:18 am

    Evican wrote:So over the weekend I tried out for the Australian Roller Derby team that will be part of the Derby World Cup in Canada in December. (Not to get into the team as I'm not quite that good yet, it was more to test my own skill against some of the better skaters in the state)

    Let's just say that it was as hard as it was fun. Especially the last drill which was an "updown" or "burpie" exercise that was kind of like the beep test. Skate all the way to the furthest line, 10 updowns, skate back, 10 updowns, skate to the second furthest line, 10 updowns, skate back etc.

    It was such a blast skating with girls from all over the state, especially with one of the Sydney Roller Derby jammers that is one of my favourites. I even assissted her for a pass through the pack, but she got a major for track cutting. Oops!


    Wow, that's amazing! They're doing Team Canada try-outs in Calgary in June during a boot camp. I'm gonna go to the boot camp I'm pretty sure but I don't stand a chance for Team Canada so won't be trying even for experience's sake. Learning from these ladies and gentlemen will be more than enough of an amazing experience and I can't wait.

    I haven't even lurked here on the Fitness Thread lately, but I'm on a super crazy exercise high from derby practice and tomorrow is a day off work for me so I'm up. Practice tonight was CRAZY awesome. After running practices mostly with coaches that are also skaters for the last 8 months or so we have not one but TWO guys who have answered our call for coaching staff and have been coming to practices this week and working with us. Hopefully they'll stay! One of them is a guy who was an Olympic hopeful speed-skater who blew his knees before realizing the dream. He had some amazing tips for us tonight and really wants to work on form and stamina with us. They worked us like CRAZY tonight and I'm almost fearful of going to bed given how stiff I'm bound to be tomorrow! After lots and lots of focus on strategy work and lots of scrimmaging lately we did an all-cardio practice for the full two hours, and a tough one at that. WHEW! We have a game to get ready for, but it's these tough work-out practices that I really love. :D I still am not up to the stamina I lost last winter and I have the opportunity to practice 5 days a week if I want during these summer months we have booked at our curling rink summer facility. Given life in general I probably can't make all those, but I aim to try!
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Mon May 30, 2011 6:41 pm

    Great work Anika! Sounds like a total blast~

    Can't wait til your derby pursuits bring you out to Vancouver for a match. I'll cheer my freaking brains out for ya! (quiet you peanut gallery ppl!) :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    Bell
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 113
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Glasgow, Scotland
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by Bell » Tue May 31, 2011 6:00 pm

    Zebra print shorts arrived. Awesome!

    Next pair I'm gonna order are stunning blue shorts with the Superman logo on the front. The fanboy in me kinda owes it to my childhood! :ugeek:
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Tue May 31, 2011 6:19 pm

    Bell wrote:Zebra print shorts arrived

    Pics or it didn't happen :lol: :lol: :lol:

    *edit* - But ya really should drop the pics in the Just for Ladies thread :P
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Tue May 31, 2011 6:23 pm

    Seriously, I could probably add this to Laura's Peak Experience thread just cuz of how I felt when I realized what I'd done but I'm sure there are many who are tired of my running updates so I'll just contain myself to this thread...

    Personal Best 5K!!! - 26:56!!! 1:15 off my previous best :headbanger:

    Hard and fast out the gate - Faded around the half way point but kept an okay pace - REALLY faded about 1K from home and legs were like rubber but knew I had a potential great time going - Sprinted the last 3/4 of a block or so then almost died on my front yard lol... Took me a good minute just to get enough energy to start my cool down stretches haha. What a blast!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3825
    Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:45 pm
    Location: Calgary, Alberta

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by vikingbitch » Tue May 31, 2011 6:25 pm

    ShoreSlayer wrote:
    Bell wrote:Zebra print shorts arrived

    Pics or it didn't happen :lol: :lol: :lol:

    *edit* - But ya really should drop the pics in the Just for Ladies thread :P


    +1 :headbanger:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • User avatar
    KDibildeaux
    Captain
    Posts: 13904
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by KDibildeaux » Tue May 31, 2011 7:53 pm

    ShoreSlayer wrote:Seriously, I could probably add this to Laura's Peak Experience thread just cuz of how I felt when I realized what I'd done but I'm sure there are many who are tired of my running updates so I'll just contain myself to this thread...

    Personal Best 5K!!! - 26:56!!! 1:15 off my previous best :headbanger:

    Hard and fast out the gate - Faded around the half way point but kept an okay pace - REALLY faded about 1K from home and legs were like rubber but knew I had a potential great time going - Sprinted the last 3/4 of a block or so then almost died on my front yard lol... Took me a good minute just to get enough energy to start my cool down stretches haha. What a blast!!

    Very cool!
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
  • User avatar
    Bell
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 113
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Glasgow, Scotland
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by Bell » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:48 am

    I'm heading to Ibiza on Saturday for the Hard Rock Hell Road Trip, so no doubt some photos shall surface after that! :cool:
  • User avatar
    DemonNIN
    Midshipman
    Posts: 699
    Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: PA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by DemonNIN » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:39 pm

    joined a REAL gym 2 hrs ago...no turning back now...yeaaaa hot tub access and steam rooms
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
    CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
    CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
    CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
    CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
    CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
    CABIN #6707 ; 2016
    CABIN #6407 ; 2017
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:05 pm

    DemonNIN wrote:joined a REAL gym 2 hrs ago...no turning back now...yeaaaa hot tub access and steam rooms

    Nice!

    I'm jealous!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 222
    Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 am
    Location: Columbus, Ohio
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by TheBigJankowski » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:35 pm

    I'm in. I've already lost 20 lbs this year. With my first payment out of the way, it's on now. 7 months to shape up. I'm actually considering going dry for at least 3 months, no alcohol of any kind, as it really messes you up and can slow your progress.

    :headbanger:
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
  • User avatar
    Bell
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 113
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm
    Location: Glasgow, Scotland
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by Bell » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:08 pm

    Cutting out alcohol is a nightmare, especially in social situations.

    I found that cutting out the rubbish I used to eat was just as beneficial as the training itself. Nutrition is the hardest part if you ask me, anyone can really go for it in the gym when pushed, but disciplining yourself to eat clean and healthy throughout the week is such a challenge.
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21178
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by mooyagi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:16 pm

    TheBigJankowski wrote:I'm in. I've already lost 20 lbs this year. With my first payment out of the way, it's on now. 7 months to shape up. I'm actually considering going dry for at least 3 months, no alcohol of any kind, as it really messes you up and can slow your progress.

    :headbanger:


    You're crazy man! You've only got about 6 months to prepare for the copious amounts of alcohol you will drink on broad! Get that liver ready :headbanger:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • User avatar
    DemonNIN
    Midshipman
    Posts: 699
    Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: PA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by DemonNIN » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:25 pm

    mooyagi wrote:
    TheBigJankowski wrote:I'm in. I've already lost 20 lbs this year. With my first payment out of the way, it's on now. 7 months to shape up. I'm actually considering going dry for at least 3 months, no alcohol of any kind, as it really messes you up and can slow your progress.

    :headbanger:


    You're crazy man! You've only got about 6 months to prepare for the copious amounts of alcohol you will drink on broad! Get that liver ready :headbanger:

    I'm keeping my liver active by only drinking a small amount ...about 3 oz....every now and then ... a little red wine every day is also very good for you. Love my wine
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
    CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
    CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
    CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
    CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
    CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
    CABIN #6707 ; 2016
    CABIN #6407 ; 2017
  • User avatar
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 222
    Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 am
    Location: Columbus, Ohio
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by TheBigJankowski » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:38 am

    Bell wrote:Cutting out alcohol is a nightmare, especially in social situations.

    I found that cutting out the rubbish I used to eat was just as beneficial as the training itself. Nutrition is the hardest part if you ask me, anyone can really go for it in the gym when pushed, but disciplining yourself to eat clean and healthy throughout the week is such a challenge.


    That's the part I'm struggling with. Gym and exercise, not really a problem. I play hockey 3 nights a week, and hit the gym with lifting and cardio 3 other days, Saturday typically being my "open" day. But, my diet...SUCKS. Couple that with 2-3 nights out a week, doing this... :cheers: ... it's no wonder I haven't dropped anything in months and my progress has stalled in other areas.
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 am

    I can absolutely vouch for fitness without nutrition essentially being a waste of time if the goal is weight loss. I've eaten horribly over the past 2 days and put on 4 lbs in just that short time even though I've been sticking to a fairly strict exercise regimen. I'm sure my muscles and cardio system still benefited from the work but pizza, pop, burger, deep fried sushi, rich pastry and gynormous sandwich with prosciuto (sp?) and havarti do NOT combine to create a recipe for success on the scale haha!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    debborah1
    Commander
    Posts: 5986
    Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by debborah1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:10 am

    TheBigJankowski wrote:
    Bell wrote:Cutting out alcohol is a nightmare, especially in social situations.

    I found that cutting out the rubbish I used to eat was just as beneficial as the training itself. Nutrition is the hardest part if you ask me, anyone can really go for it in the gym when pushed, but disciplining yourself to eat clean and healthy throughout the week is such a challenge.


    That's the part I'm struggling with. Gym and exercise, not really a problem. I play hockey 3 nights a week, and hit the gym with lifting and cardio 3 other days, Saturday typically being my "open" day. But, my diet...SUCKS. Couple that with 2-3 nights out a week, doing this... :cheers: ... it's no wonder I haven't dropped anything in months and my progress has stalled in other areas.

    Awww.......sorry to hear about your stalling areas.... ;) :P
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • User avatar
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 222
    Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 am
    Location: Columbus, Ohio
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by TheBigJankowski » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:14 am

    debborah1 wrote:
    TheBigJankowski wrote:
    Bell wrote:Cutting out alcohol is a nightmare, especially in social situations.

    I found that cutting out the rubbish I used to eat was just as beneficial as the training itself. Nutrition is the hardest part if you ask me, anyone can really go for it in the gym when pushed, but disciplining yourself to eat clean and healthy throughout the week is such a challenge.


    That's the part I'm struggling with. Gym and exercise, not really a problem. I play hockey 3 nights a week, and hit the gym with lifting and cardio 3 other days, Saturday typically being my "open" day. But, my diet...SUCKS. Couple that with 2-3 nights out a week, doing this... :cheers: ... it's no wonder I haven't dropped anything in months and my progress has stalled in other areas.

    Awww.......sorry to hear about your stalling areas.... ;) :P


    I suppose I had that coming. :mrgreen:
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
  • User avatar
    debborah1
    Commander
    Posts: 5986
    Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:37 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by debborah1 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

    he he....its our Forum duty.......to go there whenever we can.....thanks for the set up ;) .....and welcome abroad Jankow!
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • User avatar
    DemonNIN
    Midshipman
    Posts: 699
    Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm
    Location: PA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by DemonNIN » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 pm

    Speaking of progress.. I'm going slow but steady...loosing a pound here...a pound there, but at least I'm not gaining. I can't wait till Jan 23rd...here's hoping I get to my goal "You Can do it" I keep telling myself LOL like that movie
    \m/(-_-)\m/
    CABIN #5073 70K : 2011
    CABIN #2027 70K: 2012
    CABIN #2521 BTH 2012
    CABIN #2095 70K : 2013
    CABIN # NONE : 2014 :(
    CABIN #9669 70K: 2015
    CABIN #6707 ; 2016
    CABIN #6407 ; 2017
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by AlaskaRachel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

    I don't need to lose weight (I could actually use an extra 10-15 pounds), but I'm trying to put on muscle and tone more. Since I work in an office and I go to school full time, I never had time to do the gym thing. I'm trying to make a habit of doing small repetitive exercises while I read and at my desk, like wearing ankle weights and doing leg lifts while studying. Things like that. Now that it's summer, I'm rebuilding a wooden deck and building a sauna from scratch, so hopefully I'll see some progress soon :P
    As far as my diet goes, I'm trying to get more vegetables and replace soda/coffee with green tea. Also cranking up my protein intake by eating more fish.
  • User avatar
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 446
    Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:55 pm
    Location: Long Island, NY
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by tmcasper » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 pm

    AlaskaRachel wrote:I don't need to lose weight (I could actually use an extra 10-15 pounds), but I'm trying to put on muscle and tone more. Since I work in an office and I go to school full time, I never had time to do the gym thing. I'm trying to make a habit of doing small repetitive exercises while I read and at my desk, like wearing ankle weights and doing leg lifts while studying. Things like that. Now that it's summer, I'm rebuilding a wooden deck and building a sauna from scratch, so hopefully I'll see some progress soon :P
    As far as my diet goes, I'm trying to get more vegetables and replace soda/coffee with green tea. Also cranking up my protein intake by eating more fish.

    That all sounds great ...but if you're trying to 'put on more weight', you need to eat more carbs & protien, along with some weightlifting...but from what it sounds like...you're doing just fine... :cheers:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by AlaskaRachel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:29 pm

    tmcasper wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:I don't need to lose weight (I could actually use an extra 10-15 pounds), but I'm trying to put on muscle and tone more. Since I work in an office and I go to school full time, I never had time to do the gym thing. I'm trying to make a habit of doing small repetitive exercises while I read and at my desk, like wearing ankle weights and doing leg lifts while studying. Things like that. Now that it's summer, I'm rebuilding a wooden deck and building a sauna from scratch, so hopefully I'll see some progress soon :P
    As far as my diet goes, I'm trying to get more vegetables and replace soda/coffee with green tea. Also cranking up my protein intake by eating more fish.

    That all sounds great ...but if you're trying to 'put on more weight', you need to eat more carbs & protien, along with some weightlifting...but from what it sounds like...you're doing just fine... :cheers:

    :cheers: I already have a pretty carb-loaded diet, so I'm just trying to balance it out a little bit. I did just eat a bunch of smoked halibut...yay protein! :P
  • User avatar
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3122
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:42 am
    Location: Dublin, Ireland

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by Ravenlord » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:31 am

    Not really into the whole fitness thing... but I weighed myself for the first time in a while (since going to hospital) and realised I've lost a whole stone (14 pounds / 6.35 kg)

    Wonder how long until I put it back on... :D
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
  • User avatar
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am
    Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:40 pm

    AlaskaRachel wrote: :cheers: I already have a pretty carb-loaded diet, so I'm just trying to balance it out a little bit. I did just eat a bunch of smoked halibut...yay protein! :P


    I don't know why, but I totally read this the first time around as a "crab-loaded" diet. :lol: Must have gotten ahead of myself and saw the mention of halibut in the next sentence before processing the first bit. Seafood on the brain. One doesn't get much of a chance for fresh water critters here in Saskatchewan. (Note to self: go get fishing license and get out there!)
  • User avatar
    KevinP
    Commander
    Posts: 8612
    Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 pm

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by KevinP » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:46 pm

    ragnaröks_roller wrote: Seafood on the brain.


    :lol: can definitely say never heard that one before :lol: :heavydrink:
    Last edited by KevinP on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    WISHLIST

    BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

    The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by AlaskaRachel » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:41 pm

    :lol: Seafood on the brain. Yes.

    And seriously get yourself a fishing license and go get some quality seafood!
  • User avatar
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am
    Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ragnaröks_roller » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:56 pm

    AlaskaRachel wrote::lol: Seafood on the brain. Yes.

    And seriously get yourself a fishing license and go get some quality seafood!


    Yeah... This morning I woke up to temps just above freezing so it's hard to remember that fishing season has been on for a while now, but it's in full swing and the lakes around here offer some decent fish. There's some decent trout to be had. I personally like this whitefish they call "Golden Eye" for eating, though a lot of locals don't share my taste, and despite my own prejudice against pike when I moved here I'm learning that it's actually quite good, too. I really want to head north and try for some Arctic Char, but I don't know anyone here with a boat who'd want to take that trip with me. Ah well! I hardly went last year and I've got some new Saskatchewan-appropriate lures that have been nagging me to go for a swim!
  • User avatar
    TheBigJankowski
    Petty Officer
    Posts: 222
    Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:27 am
    Location: Columbus, Ohio
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by TheBigJankowski » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 pm

    ragnaröks_roller wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote::lol: Seafood on the brain. Yes.

    And seriously get yourself a fishing license and go get some quality seafood!


    Yeah... This morning I woke up to temps just above freezing so it's hard to remember that fishing season has been on for a while now, but it's in full swing and the lakes around here offer some decent fish. There's some decent trout to be had. I personally like this whitefish they call "Golden Eye" for eating, though a lot of locals don't share my taste, and despite my own prejudice against pike when I moved here I'm learning that it's actually quite good, too. I really want to head north and try for some Arctic Char, but I don't know anyone here with a boat who'd want to take that trip with me. Ah well! I hardly went last year and I've got some new Saskatchewan-appropriate lures that have been nagging me to go for a swim!


    You owe me Johnny Rockets on the cruise. Friendly reminder.
    2015: Wish List: BloodCeremony, Pallbearer, Funeral, NeObliviscaris, 11thHour, BoltThrower, MDB, SearBliss, LethianDreams, EternalTearsOfSorrow, Jaldaboath, Borknagar, Equalibrium, Insomnium, Manegarm, Scox, Lumsk, CultofLuna, Einherjer, Ex Deo, HoB
  • User avatar
    ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 am
    Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ragnaröks_roller » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm

    TheBigJankowski wrote:
    You owe me Johnny Rockets on the cruise. Friendly reminder.


    Something tells me it will be hard to forget. ;) Do they make a notable fish knuckle-sandwich? Do fish even have knuckles?

    Ugh. I was really hoping to get out to one of my non-team derby practices tonight just for the exercise but didn't make it due to other stuff. The goal for this week is to get to one "extra" practice on top of my team practices on Tues/Thurs/Sun, so it'll have to be Wednesday. The good news is that my abs and shoulders are a bit sore from last night's work out AND we got some good strategy/skill work done on top of it. Usually it takes a practice totally devoted to cardio and strength training to get sore anymore, which is probably a good sign I need to take this fitness thing off the track if I'm going to make much more progress. Honestly, I don't have the motivation and I don't have enough money to hire motivation like a gym membership and/or trainer.
  • User avatar
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain
    Posts: 11106
    Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm
    Location: Vancouver, BC
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by ShoreSlayer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 pm

    Fitness rejoice!!

    Hey Kev... Check it out...

    5K in 25:55!!!

    61 seconds off personal best :headbanger:

    Thanks again coach! :cheers:


    Oh and, post-run weight was 185.4. Been hovering around 186 for most of the past week or so. 185 was my goal when I set out but it's proving to be a bitch :lol:

    If I posted a pic of my belly you'd all know why my new goal is more like 170 haha
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

    :boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • User avatar
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander
    Posts: 3624
    Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 am
    Location: Seattle, WA
    Contact:

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by AlaskaRachel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm

    I completely forgot about my fitness goals. Oops.
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21178
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: The Fitness Thread

    by mooyagi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm

    AlaskaRachel wrote:I completely forgot about my fitness goals. Oops.


    Me too! :headbanger:
    I should get around to updating my signature
Post Reply 2419 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests