Post Reply 78 posts
More Noob Questions
  • portharbor
    Crewman

More Noob Questions

by portharbor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 am

I've got some more questions for the vet's on here.

1. What is a good hotel to stay at prior to the cruise departure? I'm looking at the Intercontential Miami and the Holiday Inn at the Port right now. Me and my cruise mate will be flying down too Miami from Detroit on the 20th

2. How do you go about getting from the hotel to the Pier? Does Miami have cabs?
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

Re: More Noob Questions

by Samhain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:06 am

You can take a cab to the port of Miami and as for hotels... my friends and I walked around and managed to find a decently priced -nice- hotel near the port of Miami. One piece of advice, if it LOOKS like a shit hotel it probably IS a shit hotel (lesson learned). If I can remember the name the one we stayed at and the one we bailed on I'll post 'em here.
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
  • Samhain
    Petty Officer

by Samhain » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:14 am

DO NOT STAY HERE:
    http://www.themiamisunhotel.com/
    It is bad news motherfucking bears (unless you're looking for a cheap place to smoke crack? :P)
    Wishlist 70K 2016: Aborted, At the Gates, Devin Townsend, Kreator, Panzerfaust, Rotting Christ.

Survivor 70K 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:29 pm

portharbor wrote:I've got some more questions for the vet's on here.

1. What is a good hotel to stay at prior to the cruise departure? I'm looking at the Intercontential Miami and the Holiday Inn at the Port right now. Me and my cruise mate will be flying down too Miami from Detroit on the 20th

2. How do you go about getting from the hotel to the Pier? Does Miami have cabs?

1) I stayed in hostels in Miami Beach. The Art Deco Hostel and the Miami Beach International Travelers Hostel. I spent almost no time at all inside the rooms anyway.

2) There are cabs. I actually took a bus from Miami Beach to down near the port and it costed me about $1.50 :D Did have a hell of a walk going over the bridge down to the ship though.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • xkaliber
    Oiler

by xkaliber » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:40 pm

Ok i saw the hotel you said....
    and it isn't something that inspire you to go and stay.....
    Get your motor running
    Head out on the highway
    Looking for adventure
    In whatever comes our way
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:13 pm

I stayed at the Holiday Inn-Miami Port. It was OK. Lots of cruise people there. The area is pretty sketchy off the main drag. A little pricey, but close to the ships.
    Cabbies are rude and crazy drivers... the Miami Airport is a dirty,filthy mess.
    But,across the street was a marketplace--lots of Cuban music,bars,shops, etc... and NO ONE speaks English.
    I'm Blonde and Canadian, so I felt VERY out of place.

:beerwink:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:22 pm

1. Miami Holiday Inn .It's near enough to the port and it's a much nicer place to stay than any of those hotels down near Miami Beach(That place is a complete shithole)
    2. you can jsut fail a cab to the pier.It's not that long a distance.Or get whatever hotel you stay at to call a cab for you.
    Alernatively you can do what we did and just grabbed a beer to go and walked along the freeway over the bridge to the pier :lol:
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Alernatively you can do what we did and just grabbed a beer to go and walked along the freeway over the bridge to the pier :lol:

And the simple fact that you were not run over by one of florida's many UNinsured drivers, is nothing short of a miracle. :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • xkaliber
    Oiler

by xkaliber » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:58 pm

KevinP wrote:
    Metalwrath wrote:Alernatively you can do what we did and just grabbed a beer to go and walked along the freeway over the bridge to the pier :lol:

And the simple fact that you were not run over by one of florida's many UNinsured drivers, is nothing short of a miracle. :lol:

well you can see it as a game of a bravery this time...
    And of course you idea was awesome, instead of arguing with the cab drivers and loose the ship take a beer for the road and walk to the ship...
    well if you don't end up cut in the half because of an UNinsured Florida's driver....CU in the boat...
    Get your motor running
    Head out on the highway
    Looking for adventure
    In whatever comes our way
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 pm

Hey man I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott with a few other passengers. It's a decent price and it's very clean too.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    Aneak
    Oiler

by Aneak » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I stayed at a hostel in Miami beach. The place was decent, cheap, and it was near the beach. The cab fare kind of sucked for one person to get to the airport and the port, but if you were spliting it it wouldn't be too bad.
    2011: Cabin #3545
    2012: Cabin #2031
    2013: Cabin #2563
    2014: Cabin #4521
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Aneak wrote:I stayed at a hostel in Miami beach. The place was decent, cheap, and it was near the beach. The cab fare kind of sucked for one person to get to the airport and the port, but if you were spliting it it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm looking for hostels in Miami Beach, can you give me some info? which hostel did you go to? how much did it cost? quality?
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:37 pm

pablov8 wrote:
    Aneak wrote:I stayed at a hostel in Miami beach. The place was decent, cheap, and it was near the beach. The cab fare kind of sucked for one person to get to the airport and the port, but if you were spliting it it wouldn't be too bad.

I'm looking for hostels in Miami Beach, can you give me some info? which hostel did you go to? how much did it cost? quality?

I stayed here:

Don't believe the pictures on the sites. They are totally touched up and show a lot more furnishings than the places actually had.

http://www.decowalkhostel.com/index.html I think was $25 for one night. Decent enough. Pretty clean and it's right on Ocean Drive. You could hear a pin drop in my room at night. Very surprising since Ocean Drive is pretty damn loud.

http://www.hostelmiamibeach.com/ I think this was $25 for one night too but I can't remember. Was not as clean as the other one but manageable. The bathroom was a bit grungy though. It was about 2 blocks from the beach. Total party hostel. Very loud.

I'd recommend either one. Again, you won't be spending much time in your hotel/hostel while there anyways. Too many metalheads to meet and drink with.

:cheers: :party: :beerhorns: :beerwink: :heavydrink: :trashdrink: :givebeer:
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:59 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

I stayed here:

Don't believe the pictures on the sites. They are totally touched up and show a lot more furnishings than the places actually had.

http://www.decowalkhostel.com/index.html I think was $25 for one night. Decent enough. Pretty clean and it's right on Ocean Drive. You could hear a pin drop in my room at night. Very surprising since Ocean Drive is pretty damn loud.

http://www.hostelmiamibeach.com/ I think this was $25 for one night too but I can't remember. Was not as clean as the other one but manageable. The bathroom was a bit grungy though. It was about 2 blocks from the beach. Total party hostel. Very loud.

I'd recommend either one. Again, you won't be spending much time in your hotel/hostel while there anyways. Too many metalheads to meet and drink with.

:cheers: :party: :beerhorns: :beerwink: :heavydrink: :trashdrink: :givebeer:

I'm thinking on staying after the cruise, what do you say about 7 days in a hostel? is it doable?
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:01 pm

pablov8 wrote:

I'm thinking on staying after the cruise, what do you say about 7 days in a hostel? is it doable?

Depends on how "high maintenance" you are :mrgreen: It's doable, and in fact, most of the people I shared a room with were at the respective hostels for a few weeks. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but that's just me. TEHO

Edit: Do you really want to stay that long in Miami? If you have 7 days I would suggest checking out the rest of Florida instead.
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport.
    Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport.

That's all I got to say about that.
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:43 pm

^^^^^^ LOLLLOO^^^^^^
    :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:35 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

Depends on how "high maintenance" you are :mrgreen: It's doable, and in fact, most of the people I shared a room with were at the respective hostels for a few weeks. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but that's just me. TEHO

Edit: Do you really want to stay that long in Miami? If you have 7 days I would suggest checking out the rest of Florida instead.

I concur. Miami itself was very over-rated. We stayed 2 days in Miami, did the cruise, then went up to Orlando for 3 days, finally back to Miami for 3 days before flying home to Australia.

In hindsight it would have been far more enjoyable staying in Orlando longer. Much more to see and do, and just a 'nicer' place to be :beerwink:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm

cowboy71 wrote:
    In hindsight it would have been far more enjoyable staying in Orlando longer. Much more to see and do, and just a 'nicer' place to be :beerwink:

Despite it being the #3 most dangerous metropolitan area in the country? http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2011/02/16/the-11-most-dangerous-cities

Granted, every single one of those lists is different (St. Louis always seems to be #1) but this one has Orlando at #3! Note Miami listed there at #7 not too far behind :lol:

Haven't been to Orlando in a long time. DisneyWorld kicked major ass as a kid. As did Sea World.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:38 pm

mooyagi wrote:Haven't been to Orlando in a long time. DisneyWorld kicked major ass as a kid. As did Sea World.

We went to Universal, and stayed at Disney (didn't actually go to Disney itself but visited the Disney Marketplace). Had a great time at Universal (saw a few 70000 Tons shipmates there too!!)

From a 'tourist' perspective, it was just a lot easier to get around, and it was easier to just randomly find 'stuff' to do - shopping centres, theme parks, etc.

Certainly never felt any more in danger than anywhere here in Australia.

But hey I used to go to Uni in Footscray in Melbourne and walk to the train station late at night and catch the Dandenong line train home. When you've done that and lived to tell the tale, you aint scared of nothin' :lol:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:26 am

cowboy71 wrote:In hindsight it would have been far more enjoyable staying in Orlando longer. Much more to see and do, and just a 'nicer' place to be :beerwink:

And you didn't even see me. Think how much more you would loved it then :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • starlight
    Crewman

by starlight » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:19 am

We stayed at the Hilton Miami downtowe, and have been very contented. We will there next year again :-)

The good thing is, that you can walk by feet to the bayside for some beers :-)
    What will change in 2012 on the cruis?

Eat less (counterproductive)
      Sleep less (waste of time)
      Drink more -> PARTY MORE

2011: cabin 6529
    2012: cabin 6525
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:32 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:

Actually, I was thinking on spending those 7 days in Miami because I don't wanna spend more money on flights, they're way too expensive to me. And I don't have a driver's license. I've never been in the USA so I don't have a clue what you got on Florida
    Evil Red
    Midshipman

by Evil Red » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:01 pm

I was going to say...
    hodgy wrote:Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport.
    Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport. Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport.

But, he beat me to it.
    We did have a few nice hotels after the hellhole of the Days Inn by the Airport though. The Double Tree Grand was really nice (and really expensive) and Crystal Beach Hotel was cool, although a good distance from the Port. (but it was smack on the beach!)
    This year, we're going to add a Orlando jaunt as well for a few days at Universal.
    *does a lifetime-of-waiting-super-fucking-happy dance* :mrgreen:
    I made the Devil do it.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Evil Red wrote:I was going to say...
    hodgy wrote:Do not stay at the Days Inn by the Airport.

But, he beat me to it.
    We did have a few nice hotels after the hellhole of the Days Inn by the Airport though. The Double Tree Grand was really nice (and really expensive) and Crystal Beach Hotel was cool, although a good distance from the Port. (but it was smack on the beach!)
    This year, we're going to add a Orlando jaunt as well for a few days at Universal.
    *does a lifetime-of-waiting-super-fucking-happy dance* :mrgreen:

HEY!!...I'll join you in that dance!! ;)
    2011 MAIDEN VOYAGE SURVIVOR!
    2012 cabin #7538.....2nd time survivor!!
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2014.....3RD TIME SURVIVOR
    2015.....BOOKED
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:44 pm

pablov8 wrote: I don't have a clue what you got on Florida

Orlando = theme parks, theme parks and more theme parks
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:47 pm

debborah1 wrote:HEY!!...I'll join you in that dance!! ;)

If there' s 1 broad who can take you in a vegemite wrestling match, it's Evil Red.

I think we'll need to throw Marshmallow PEEPS at both of you though, for her to be interested in this venture Image
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

KevinP wrote:

If there' s 1 broad who can take you in a vegemite wrestling match, it's Evil Red.

I think we'll need to throw Marshmallow PEEPS at both of you though, for her to be interested in this venture Image

no no nooooo......we're talkin the lifetime- of-waiting -super-fucking-happy dance.......pretty sure there's no vegemite involved.......or peeps
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
    Die for Dethklok
    Crewman

by Die for Dethklok » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Intercontinental? you must be rich. I had my 8th grade prom there :roll: it is very nice place. Holiday inn is a good choice. Even though both are close to Dodge Island it is not walking distance especially with luggage, take a cab.
    "Come on, you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever!"
    -Dan Daly USMC at the battle of Belleau Wood, France 1918

Cabin 6517- Who are my cabinmates?
    Evil Red
    Midshipman

by Evil Red » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:21 pm

KevinP wrote:

I love the what-the-fuck derailment here, but who needs Vegemite when I'll have Peeps? And Deb! :mrgreen:

debborah1 wrote:
    KevinP wrote:

no no nooooo......we're talkin the lifetime- of-waiting -super-fucking-happy dance.......pretty sure there's no vegemite involved.......or peeps

I'm SOOOO excited to finally go!!! I still wanna hit Disney World and Busch Gardens and... and... and... but I'll just be super fucking happy about finally getting to go to ONE Florida theme park (before Hodgy thinks he'll change his mind.) ;)

ACCIO, UNIVERSAL STUDIOS!!!
    I made the Devil do it.
  • ragnaröks_roller
    Chief Petty Officer

by ragnaröks_roller » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:37 am

I have to say I didn't mind Miami Beach one bit -- I thought it was quite pleasant, actually. I stayed there the first night in a total shit motel I picked online as a compromise between cheap price and reviews that weren't downright awful. I didn't have a problem, though I might choose a different motel and/or go with a hostel next year. Thinking about it, maybe I'll just go with the same motel knowing that even bad, it wasn't THAT bad, and something I can deal with just fine!

The second night I moved across the bridge to the Holiday Inn. Nice enough, but NOT worth the money, and even with the proximity to the port I don't think it was worth it. A less expensive hotel would easily make up for "extra" money spend on cab fare from somewhere farther. Something I don't think has been mentioned in this thread so far is the fact that there was a funeral thing for two Miami cops that had been shot at the same time everyone was trying to head over to the port. Most cabs were actually turning away fares and telling everyone to walk on the highway because of traffic closures due to the funeral. Many cruisers walked there who probably wouldn't have otherwise. It's a decent hike from the Holiday Inn to the port terminals. Not undoable by any means, but not just a few blocks, either. I definitely wouldn't book the Holiday Inn just on it's location, though if Donn decides we're all worthy enough for another amazing pre-party show this time around at the same spot, I'll say that the Holiday Inn was nicely in between the Transit Lounge and the port.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 am

^We took the bus from South Beach to downtown and back on that Sunday night. I was quite funny to go on the bus back from the pre-party as we were the only ones drunk. We tried to talk with the locals but they seemed reluctant to talk with us. :lol:

We stayed at the San Juan hotel on South Beach. About €30 a night per person with tax, which was one of the cheapest hotels on SoBe. Clean enough place with friendly staff, might go there again if we get a good offer (last time we booked via hotels.com). It's only one block from the beach on Collins Avenue, so the location is good. And you could get there from MIA on a bus as well - the closest bus stop was only a 100 meters from the hotel.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 am

Evil Red wrote:I'm SOOOO excited to finally go!!! I still wanna hit Disney World and Busch Gardens and... and... and... but I'll just be super fucking happy about finally getting to go to ONE Florida theme park (before Hodgy thinks he'll change his mind.) ;)

Busch Gardens i Tampa is a good 90 minutes away from Disney, so keep that in mind. If you are a coaster fan they have a few pretty good ones, nothing uber awesome, otherwise it's not a park that you should "go out of your way for" but if you go to a bunch of parks, go there first as Disney and Universal are better overall (this way it won't feel like a "come down")
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Oli
    Crewman

by Oli » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 am

Hey there.

My wife and I stayed at a hotel on Ocean drive(can´t remember the name) we paid 125 a night,it was a nice place and clean.

I would recomend South beach,ok there are not many metal places and people are a bit uptight,but ther´s plenty of good food and a lot of people having fun at night,we fell in on an outdoor concert with a rock, cover band on Oceans drive,who played Sabbath,Priest,foo fighters and so on,no entry fee and decent prices for boose.

Peronally I will be staying at south beach again.
    THE FATE OF NORNS AWAITS US ALL!!!!

Immortal..WASP..Lamb of god..Cannibal Corpse..Rob Zombie..Kreator..Arch Enemy..Cavalera conspiracy..All shall perish for 70000 tons 2012
    Michael D.
    Ensign

by Michael D. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:58 pm

I have visited Miami a few times and prefer to stay in Miami Beach. When coming from a cold and snowy area of the US like I do, (in winter) all you want is a little beach time. I try to get a hotel located south of 5th Street in the more residential neighborhood. Also, search for hotels that are just off the Art Deco District.
    Everything is within walking distance and yes, cab fares can suck but they are posted by district. As an FYI, tell the cabby that you have been here before and you know where you are going (do a little research), so you are not taken advantage of. There also is a shuttle service, which is cheaper, then a cab ride from the airport to your hotel.
    As for public transit-Have not done it down there-just a little too scary for me. Remember you are in the Miami area. Anyways you can rent a bicycle or a scooter for a good price and tool around the area and enjoy yourself. Miami Beach actually is a nice city to visit. Downtown Miami can be a totally different story.
    :cheers:
    Sinister Realm
    Petty Officer

by Sinister Realm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:43 pm

My wife and I stayed for two nights in South Beach before the cruise and although it was really nice it was also expensive, especially the food! Next time we agreed we would find a place somewhere near that bridge so we can just walk over like we were forced to do last time. The walk wasn't that bad.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:28 am

Michael D. wrote:I have visited Miami a few times and prefer to stay in Miami Beach. When coming from a cold and snowy area of the US like I do, (in winter) all you want is a little beach time. I try to get a hotel located south of 5th Street in the more residential neighborhood. Also, search for hotels that are just off the Art Deco District.
    Everything is within walking distance and yes, cab fares can suck but they are posted by district. As an FYI, tell the cabby that you have been here before and you know where you are going (do a little research), so you are not taken advantage of. There also is a shuttle service, which is cheaper, then a cab ride from the airport to your hotel.
    As for public transit-Have not done it down there-just a little too scary for me. Remember you are in the Miami area. Anyways you can rent a bicycle or a scooter for a good price and tool around the area and enjoy yourself. Miami Beach actually is a nice city to visit. Downtown Miami can be a totally different story.
    :cheers:

Everything is walkable in South Beach as it's a pretty small area so that was nice. I think cab fare was about $20 to get from South Beach to downtown Miami. The bus was I think $1.50, which is what we took down to the port area and just hoofed it over the bridge to get to the ship. I would also say stay in South Beach.

Funny thing, taking the cab to the Transit Lounge for the preparty, the fucking cabbie had no idea where to go. We had to give him directions :roll:
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:52 am

KevinP wrote:
    Evil Red wrote:I'm SOOOO excited to finally go!!! I still wanna hit Disney World and Busch Gardens and... and... and... but I'll just be super fucking happy about finally getting to go to ONE Florida theme park (before Hodgy thinks he'll change his mind.) ;)

Busch Gardens i Tampa is a good 90 minutes away from Disney, so keep that in mind. If you are a coaster fan they have a few pretty good ones, nothing uber awesome, otherwise it's not a park that you should "go out of your way for" but if you go to a bunch of parks, go there first as Disney and Universal are better overall (this way it won't feel like a "come down")

Pfffttt, you wish! Busch Gardens is AWESOME if you like coasters, Universal is lame lame lameeeee (although Islands of Adventure is pretty cool, but now they have that stupid Harry Potter thing :roll: ). Kristi, don't miss Busch Gardens, Sheikra is one of the craziest coasters I've ever been on. They're building a new one too (an accelerator like The Hulk) but I have no idea what the ETA of that is. If you do go to Universal, do NOT get on the Simpsons ride drunk, it will end very badly :? :lol:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 am

Daenerys wrote:
    KevinP wrote:

Pfffttt, you wish! Busch Gardens is AWESOME if you like coasters, Universal is lame lame lameeeee (although Islands of Adventure is pretty cool, but now they have that stupid Harry Potter thing :roll: ). Kristi, don't miss Busch Gardens, Sheikra is one of the craziest coasters I've ever been on. They're building a new one too (an accelerator like The Hulk) but I have no idea what the ETA of that is. If you do go to Universal, do NOT get on the Simpsons ride drunk, it will end very badly :? :lol:

I'm assuming it's the same thing as Universal in California? They replaced Back to the Future with a Simpsons theme.
    debborah1
    Commander

by debborah1 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:08 pm

gnoff wrote:I did see the coasters at Bush G when I visited Youngeling brewery in Tampa, but had no time to go.
    Nexy time in Tampa, I'll do a full day rolling coasters until I puke.
    Then I'll go out for beers :cheers:

......UNTIL YOU PUKE ;)
    \m/ >.< \m/
    2015.....BOOKED
Post Reply 78 posts