Post Reply 1435 posts
Gamers
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

Re: Gamers

by sageoftruth » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 am

I've been kicking myself all week for getting Diablo III. I was against the game for months, but once I heard about how they'd done away with the auction house and a bunch of other things, I thought it might be worth getting. In many ways, it was an improvement from its predecessors. However, all that became meaningless when I saw what they'd done to the level-up system.
    According to a letter from one of the designers, they didn't want gamers to have to deal with the stress of improperly customizing their characters as they leveled up, so all stat and skill upgrades were done automatically.
    After playing through it for a long time, it became obvious that the only reason I ever enjoyed this franchise was because I enjoyed creating different builds of characters. With that responsibility taken away, I was just going from place to place, defeating hordes of enemies using the exact same strategy over and over. Continuing any further feels pointless. While it's true that every other element of the game, such as the story, "combat", and class options had been improved, none of those were really enough to carry the game on its own merits.
    Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:10 pm

sageoftruth wrote:I've been kicking myself all week for getting Diablo III.

I loved Diablo II and played it for years! Waited and waited for a Diablo III and stuggled to get a beta key. Played for one week and then I was bored :(
    Got stuck in Guild Wars II (also a game I waited for a long long time since i loved Guild Wars) instead. Much better!
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Went out on last weekend and got A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. It is easily one of the best Zelda games I have ever played.
    TheSalamanizer
    Crewman

by TheSalamanizer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:47 pm

cowboy71 wrote:No 'killer app' for me yet on the PS4 so I will hold off.

Looks shiny though - and will definitely be getting a PS4 before I get an XBONE.

I got PS4 the day it came out, and so far only have been playing the free games. One game "Resogun" is simple but highly addictive, I can't stop playing it.
    2015 - cabin 9375
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Went to see Symphony of the Godessess this week. It's an orchestra playing medleys of Zelda games and projecting images from them. AWESOME.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:45 am

My company is having a yankee swap this Friday. Normally I don't have anything to bring but this time, I decided I'll be bringing Diablo 3. Hopefully it'll end up in the hands of someone who has a kid and a PS3. Goodbye Diablo 3. You won't be missed.
    Captain Alex
    Chief Petty Officer

by Captain Alex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:16 am

new Killer Instict seems awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJs8XpSMk4
    Iced Earth-Avantasia-Ayreon-Nightwish-Dimmu Borgir-Stratovarius-Syrens Call-Epica-Satyricon-Powerwolf-Sonata Arctica-Tarot-Lacuna Coil-Sabaton-Amaranthe-Dalriada-LuciferianLightOrchestra
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 am

Steam Winter sale starts in an hour according to rumors.
    Anybody know when the release date is for the witcher 3?
    That game is gonna be so fucking awesome.Apperently the game itself will be 20% bigger than Skyrim.
    I am also curious if all those people i 'accidently murdered ' in the previous games will have any affect on the 3rd hehe
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:19 am

Metalwrath wrote:Steam Winter sale starts in an hour according to rumors.
    Anybody know when the release date is for the witcher 3?
    That game is gonna be so fucking awesome.Apperently the game itself will be 20% bigger than Skyrim.
    I am also curious if all those people i 'accidently murdered ' in the previous games will have any affect on the 3rd hehe

Ooh! I got hit hard by that sale. I got Bioshock Infinite for $10, Thief Gold for $7, and some indie stealth game for $3. I'm also thinking of getting another Choose Your Own Adventure game by Telltale, called "Wolf Among Us" when I get home. Steam sales rock. Witcher 3 will have to wait for me. I have Witcher 2 but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It's embarrassing. I've had it for a long time, but keep forgetting that I do and never play it.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:29 am

sageoftruth wrote:I have Witcher 2 but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It's embarrassing. I've had it for a long time, but keep forgetting that I do and never play it.

That's me with most games I own. :oops: :oops: :oops:

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:48 am

X-Thor wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:I have Witcher 2 but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It's embarrassing. I've had it for a long time, but keep forgetting that I do and never play it.

That's me with most games I own. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Same here, I haven't even played at least half of the games that I own. For the most part, I forced myself to quit buying games altogether since they just sit around the house.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • Rainer
    Wiper

by Rainer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:09 am

well, I still havn't got one since I can't decide which to buy between PS4 and Xbox one.
    My friends on http://www.live4mmo.com urge me to buy PS4 while friends here say Xbox one is better .
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:16 am

Rainer wrote:well, I still havn't got one since I can't decide which to buy between PS4 and Xbox one.
    My friends on http://www.live4mmo.com urge me to buy PS4 while friends here say Xbox one is better .

PS4.

--
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 am

Rainer wrote:well, I still havn't got one since I can't decide which to buy between PS4 and Xbox one.

PC.Unless you care about console exclusive games.I still think the only reason a lot of gamers haven't switched to pc's is because a lot of the games on console still aren't multiformat servers so people tend to stick to the consoles to play with all their friends.
    Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Metalwrath wrote:PC.Unless you care about console exclusive games.I still think the only reason a lot of gamers haven't switched to pc's is because a lot of the games on console still aren't multiformat servers so people tend to stick to the consoles to play with all their friends.

Agree, PC games is what I prefer to play :) On an awesome computer offcourse!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Gave up on PCs long ago.

Haven't owned a desktop in 5+ years now, and the only PC games I play is the occasional old school game like Lords of Midnight on the laptop.

Got sick to fucking death of the ongoing upgrade cycles of PCs - buy a new videocard/soundcard and its already out of date by the time its installed into your PC.

At least with consoles you buy a game, insert it into the console, and you know it will be optimised for your hardware.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:02 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Gave up on PCs long ago.

Haven't owned a desktop in 5+ years now, and the only PC games I play is the occasional old school game like Lords of Midnight on the laptop.

Got sick to fucking death of the ongoing upgrade cycles of PCs - buy a new videocard/soundcard and its already out of date by the time its installed into your PC.

At least with consoles you buy a game, insert it into the console, and you know it will be optimised for your hardware.

The computers I put together often works for 3 years. It's a bit expensive at first but then works fine for most games.
    I don't expect everything to work at the absolute highest settings efter 2-3 years but thats fine by me.
    Looking forward to when it's time to do an upgrade :) Finding what to buy and put it all toghether is half the fun for me :)
    Probably still 1-2 years left on the one I have now...
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:58 am

cowboy71 wrote:Gave up on PCs long ago.

The problem is though a lot of developers don't optimize games for consoles.And they lag like hell and have more frequent crashes due to consoles limitations.With games on the pc you have much more control over that.Not to mention a lot of people outside the companies create their own fixes and patches for games which developers are too lazy to do themselves and as a result some console games get shafted big time.
    Swintax
    Oiler

by Swintax » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Playing World of Warcraft sins the beginning:

Battletag: Oldmaz#2108
    Realm: Ragnaros (EU) Horde
    2014: Cabin 9074
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:29 pm

My advice is to just wait and see what games come out before you make a purchase. It's the games that sell the console, not the console itself. That's how PS2 managed to outsell Xbox back in my college days. Right now, I haven't yet seen any games that are driving me to purchase either of them.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Metalwrath wrote:PC.Unless you care about console exclusive games.I still think the only reason a lot of gamers haven't switched to pc's is because a lot of the games on console still aren't multiformat servers so people tend to stick to the consoles to play with all their friends.

Agreed. There was a time when consoles had distinct advantages, like easy couch gaming, no need for updates or installations, and no loading times, but that was all tossed away when consoles started trying to out-PC the PC. Now, the only advantage I can think of is that consoles come with their own controllers, which can top keyboards and mouses in certain types of games.
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:53 pm

So Assassin's Creed 4 is the best of the series. I haven't had so much fun just exploring a game before. The naval combat is perfect and (as much as I hate to say it) it outshines the assassin stuff. Not to take anything away from the stealth stabby action of assassins creed. Nice recovery from AC3
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:22 pm

There goes my weekend. On Gamefly, I just got Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xilia, just after getting Valkyria Chronicles from Gamestop. The sudden addition of 3 JRPGs to my list is gonna be a huge time sink.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:28 pm

sageoftruth wrote:There goes my weekend. On Gamefly, I just got Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xilia, just after getting Valkyria Chronicles from Gamestop. The sudden addition of 3 JRPGs to my list is gonna be a huge time sink.

Expect to sink a shitload of time into Ni No Kuni if you're the type that needs to capture everything (it IS a Pokemon ripoff, in that sense). Quite a few of the creatures (forget what they're called) have a stupidly low percentage to be caught.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:So Assassin's Creed 4 is the best of the series. I haven't had so much fun just exploring a game before. The naval combat is perfect and (as much as I hate to say it) it outshines the assassin stuff. Not to take anything away from the stealth stabby action of assassins creed. Nice recovery from AC3

Fully agree. A friend lend me that game for a week, so I powered through it. AC2 has a better story, but the naval combat (and those catchy pirate songs) are fantastic.

--
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Finally got around to pre-ordering DARK SOULS II.

Looking forward to being driven insane by it!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    **crickets chirping**
    2021 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:02 pm

Game of the year 2014 goes to Goat Simulator. Perfection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN2QUhaKN2Q
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:42 am

klons wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:There goes my weekend. On Gamefly, I just got Ni No Kuni and Tales of Xilia, just after getting Valkyria Chronicles from Gamestop. The sudden addition of 3 JRPGs to my list is gonna be a huge time sink.

Expect to sink a shitload of time into Ni No Kuni if you're the type that needs to capture everything (it IS a Pokemon ripoff, in that sense). Quite a few of the creatures (forget what they're called) have a stupidly low percentage to be caught.

I'll keep that in mind. Those kinds of games can be dangerous. I'd better steel myself against my completionist tendencies.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am

• sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 pm

I just heard about the new Doom mod, Brutal Doom. Some modder with lots of time on his hands made a mod for Doom and Doom 2 that makes them run on modern computers no problem and makes them far more awesome. I'll let the youtube video speak for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2JTRsaHqyI

Best part is, it's free.
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Just finished plugging in an absurd 150 hours into Fallout 3. That 150 hours, though got me every achievement for this game and I had enough blood, decapitations, and incinerations to last for quite a while. Highly recommend playing that while waiting for announcements. A month passed me by in no time.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:32 pm

I started Ni No Kuni a few weeks ago. Aside from the visuals, it hasn't been very impressive so far. It's been plagued with moments where you have to solve a problem but can't do anything until everything has been spelled out for you. If I were at some point were to encounter a room with a locked door and a switch next to it, I wouldn't be able to pull the switch until I looked at the door and listened to my partner say, "Gee, this door won't open. Maybe if you pulled that SWITCH over there, you could open it."
    At this point, my only reason to keep playing is a reviewer's earnest assurance that it gets better later on. There are still elements of the game that haven't been introduced yet, so I'm basically stuck in an obscenely obtuse and very long tutorial. One would think everything would be covered by the time you finish saving the first town at least. Still, it is true that the game does indeed become richer as new mechanics are introduced.
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm

anyone playing hearthstone?
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:40 pm

anyone playing hearthstone?
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015
    counting down to 70.000 tons of metal 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Can't wait to play Goat Simulator later this week! :lol: I'm not a very serious gamer.
    Absolute Steel-::-Brainstorm-::-Cage-::-Candlemass-::-Dalriada-::-Dark Moor-::-Demons-&-Wizards-::-Diabolical-Masterpiece-::-GWAR-::-Impellitteri-::-Iron-Savior-::-Krux-::-Madder-Mortem-::-Nocturnal-Rites-::-Schandmaul-::-Tad-Morose-::-Terasbetoni-::-Vhäldemar-::-W.A.S.P
    Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:28 am

Swintax wrote:Playing World of Warcraft sins the beginning:

Battletag: Oldmaz#2108
    Realm: Ragnaros (EU) Horde

Dude! You should play Guild Wars 2 with me instead!
    Are you going on the cruise next year? We managed to get together 12 ppl more for the 2015 cruise than 2014 :)
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 pm

When I get home tonight, I'm ordering "One Finger Death Punch". According to TotalBiscuit, it's an easy to learn (only two buttons are used) and difficult to master game with the catharsis turned up to 11. Essentially, it's "Fuck Yeah" the game. His review was hilarious because it was like he was climaxing through the entire review.
    Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:30 pm

Fuck! I'm back in Diablo III again... The new expansion really made it fun again.
    Emmpye#2124
    WallieWallie
    Chief Petty Officer

by WallieWallie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:02 pm

D3 improved indeed after the expansion. =)
    Finally found some time last night to finish Act V. Next up...level my monk to 70.
    Survivor: 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2017 / 2018 / 2020
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:21 am

Emma wrote:Fuck! I'm back in Diablo III again... The new expansion really made it fun again.
    Emmpye#2124

What did Blizzard do to fix this one?
Post Reply 1435 posts