Post Reply 244 posts
Beards
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

Beards

by EvilDan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Okay, so I've been growing mine for a while (almost 5 years, though it really hasn't grown since the first year). It reaches beyond my nipples and, when wet, to my belly-button. However, there's a new series on IFC (Whisker Wars) that has made me realize that I am not caring for my beard as much as I should. As recently as a year ago, I could always walk into a room and KNOW I was going to have the best beard there. That is no longer the case.

While there are some really funny stories about shit I've caught it in, I'm more interesting in finding out of anyone has any good grooming tips. I really want to make the hair much softer, since I feel like I could cut it off and sell it as a merkin. (I've joked that when I cut it I would donate it to testicular cancer, since everyone's balls should be warm.)

This is a metal forum, so surely there are some other epic beards out there?
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    viathyn
    Commander

Re: Beards

by viathyn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:01 pm

I keep a pretty close-cropped one personally. I admire your tenacity in growing a beard for FIVE years!!!! :viking: :shock:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:04 pm

EvilDan wrote:Okay, so I've been growing mine for a while (almost 5 years, though it really hasn't grown since the first year). It reaches beyond my nipples and, when wet, to my belly-button. However, there's a new series on IFC (Whisker Wars) that has made me realize that I am not caring for my beard as much as I should. As recently as a year ago, I could always walk into a room and KNOW I was going to have the best beard there. That is no longer the case.

While there are some really funny stories about shit I've caught it in, I'm more interesting in finding out of anyone has any good grooming tips. I really want to make the hair much softer, since I feel like I could cut it off and sell it as a merkin. (I've joked that when I cut it I would donate it to testicular cancer, since everyone's balls should be warm.)

This is a metal forum, so surely there are some other epic beards out there?

my husband had a pretty long goatee for a while. he conditioned it every time he showered, and trimmed it about once every 6-8 weeks to shape it. it was very soft!

if you are soaping it up with the same soap you use on your body, it WILL dry it out. shampoo to clean and then conditioner. i am not sure it would need shampoo every day, but definitely condition every time you shower and trim regularly.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:06 pm

WizardBeast wrote:my husband had a pretty long goatee for a while. he conditioned it every time he showered, and trimmed it about once every 6-8 weeks to shape it. it was very soft!

if you are soaping it up with the same soap you use on your body, it WILL dry it out. shampoo to clean and then conditioner. i am not sure it would need shampoo every day, but definitely condition every time you shower and trim regularly.

Strictly speaking, mine is a goatee. I don't grow a mustache, and I can't grow hair on my cheeks.

I have always shampooed, but just recently started conditioning, which makes a HUGE difference. Interestingly, I stopped shampooing my shaved head, as facial exfoliants work far better in keeping razor burn and in-grown hairs away.

And I don't trim. Maybe if I see a split-end, but otherwise, no.

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:10 pm

If it's anything like hair, I would definitely agree with the conditioning bit. And trimming. Both of these things lead to healthy hair!

Also, if you hadn't noticed over the last few months, I get made fun of a lot around here for hair products... haha. A leave in conditioner or de-frizzer would probably keep it un-merkin-esque..

Please check out my band

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 pm

viathyn wrote:If it's anything like hair, I would definitely agree with the conditioning bit. And trimming. Both of these things lead to healthy hair!

Also, if you hadn't noticed over the last few months, I get made fun of a lot around here for hair products... haha. A leave in conditioner or de-frizzer would probably keep it un-merkin-esque..

My sister recommended "ethnic" hair care, since it can be pretty "pubey", like a relaxer or something.

This is all very familiar from when I had long hair and was a competitive swimmer. (Fucking chlorine!) Just now, it's my beard, and I don't do shit.

I had noticed "the fun", but I also take care of myself, and as a result, I do not look my age. (Most mistake me for my mid 20s.) Personal care is its own reward. :bangers:

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:42 pm

gnoff wrote:When I had my long beard I used shampoo and conditioner every time I washed my hair, also I brushed it every day.

Avoid braiding it, since it tends to create more split ends, at least for me.

OF course stay away from bleaches, hair dyes and such for it.

I went by the name "conditioner beard" after this one late night party when some girls were stroking my beard on and off and talkign about how soft it was.
    Yes my beard, nothing else you dirty minds out there, you stay in the gutter if you want :wank:

Yes, I've now learned that coloring is a BAD idea, and as it's gotten more... coarse... and I lost a lot of fullness. Don't get me wrong. It's still relatively epic, but I've had fewer females offering to braid and play with it. I want to make sure it's EXTRA soft by (whatever deadline I set).

I've also learned that VO5 hot oil will not work as well as Jojoba oil. It's a weird combination of face/hair/head. Some people respond really well to facial soap, but I think mine is too long to even consider it.

raspberry*tart
    Chief Petty Officer

by raspberry*tart » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Terax conditioner, and you can leave it in for 30 mins if you want. It wins haircare awards everywhere as the best conditioner
    Draconian-Nightwish-Therion-CarachAngran-Sabaton-SepticFlesh-Fleshgod-STS-Agalloch-RottingChrist-Opeth-MDB-Eluveitie-Amorphis-NeObliviscaris-Apocalytpica-BarrenEarth-Turisas-Nile-Rammstein-Korpiklaani-Heidevolk-OrphanedLand-Finntroll-DimmuBorgir-Blind Guardian
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:25 pm

raspberry*tart wrote:Terax conditioner, and you can leave it in for 30 mins if you want. It wins haircare awards everywhere as the best conditioner

I KNEW an Australian would know. I used to use something when I was swimming called... I don't know... something Aussie something, and it was the best stuff in the world. :bmhorns:

Also kinda sounds like this muck I used called Mermaid. Horrid.

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 pm

More hair = longer showers = more effort = no fucking way :death:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:31 pm

gnoff wrote:When I had my long beard I used shampoo and conditioner every time I washed my hair, also I brushed it every day.

Avoid braiding it, since it tends to create more split ends, at least for me.

OF course stay away from bleaches, hair dyes and such for it.

I went by the name "conditioner beard" after this one late night party when some girls were stroking my beard on and off and talkign about how soft it was.
    Yes my beard, nothing else you dirty minds out there, you stay in the gutter if you want :wank:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting, never knew a beard was so much work! though I guess it makes sense
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:56 pm

gnoff wrote:I went by the name "conditioner beard" after this one late night party when some girls were stroking my beard on and off and talkign about how soft it was.
    Yes my lower beard you dirty minds out there, you stay in the gutter if you want :wank:

:shock: You've got quite some interesting parties
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 pm

do NOT put relaxer in it or ethnic stuff like straighteners, that stuff is HARSH. stick with johoba oil, and condition every shower just like i said!

also, do a trim on the ends every now and again, it really helps keep things looking full and well cared for.

a remedy for softening hair that works SUPER well and is very effective and i've used it myself is to mix mayo, avocado, and jojoba oil together and keep it on the hair for 20-30 minutes, rinse, shampoo, condition, you will not believe how well it works. yes it sounds gross but it works VERY well.
    2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Soen, Gojira, Jorn, Atheist, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum, Rivers of Nihil
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:57 pm

WizardBeast wrote:do NOT put relaxer in it or ethnic stuff like straighteners, that stuff is HARSH. stick with johoba oil, and condition every shower just like i said!

also, do a trim on the ends every now and again, it really helps keep things looking full and well cared for.

a remedy for softening hair that works SUPER well and is very effective and i've used it myself is to mix mayo, avocado, and jojoba oil together and keep it on the hair for 20-30 minutes, rinse, shampoo, condition, you will not believe how well it works. yes it sounds gross but it works VERY well.

It's good for you(r beard)! haha lame I know, couldn't resist
    Last edited by KDibildeaux on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Witch Bear
    Petty Officer

by Witch Bear » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Me am taking notes. me am have coarse hair all over so you am can imagine that me am need much jaJabba oil
    Deck 666
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:07 pm

I sent this to Gnoff the other day. :lol: :lol:

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:11 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:Image

Mine would measure only to the sad "manly" or "cavemanly" lenghts now. It was a lot longer at some point, but I trimmed it a bit. The only thing I won't trim is the few white hairs on it. First there was only one which I kept cutting away and now there's four of five of them. They're right on the chin so everyone can see them.

I use some 2in1 oil shampoo/conditioner for my hair and beard and it seems to work well. Both stay soft and are easy to brush (even if my hair is REALLY thick and long).
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:06 am

Goddess of Metal wrote:I sent this to Gnoff the other day. :lol: :lol:

Hmmm... I guess that would put me around "Presidentialy" or "Lumberjackly" when dry, and Far Beyond "Beardly" when wet. :viking:

viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:49 am

I must see a picture of said glorious beard.

Please check out my band

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:44 am

KDibildox wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:do NOT put relaxer in it or ethnic stuff like straighteners, that stuff is HARSH. stick with johoba oil, and condition every shower just like i said!

it's actually true. heals up damaged hair! :lol:
    PapaBear
    Oiler

by PapaBear » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 am

Me am no have beard. Me am no lie, me am no hide it, me am proud of who me am
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:01 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:

it's actually true. heals up damaged hair! :lol:

Good to know :mrgreen:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:03 pm

PapaBear wrote:Me am no have beard. Me am no lie, me am no hide it, me am proud of who me am

I was waiting for someone to make a proper beard joke. :lol: Where the hell was the forum family on this one? You got shown up by a bear with a rainbow tatoo
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:00 am

viathyn wrote:I must see a picture of said glorious beard.

I'll have to see what I can do. I don't currently keep any pictures online anywhere that I can reference immediately. I have a couple of pics. It's too bad my pic with the lovely girl from Summer Slaughter didn't turn out well. The shadows make it look far more impressive than it actually is. I wish it was bigger, fuller, and more glorious and epic. :viking:

I'm still in disbelief about the mayo recipe, so I'm checking with a cosmetics chemist to see what she has to say. :P

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 am

EvilDan wrote:
    viathyn wrote:I must see a picture of said glorious beard.

I'll have to see what I can do. I don't currently keep any pictures online anywhere that I can reference immediately. I have a couple of pics. It's too bad my pic with the lovely girl from Summer Slaughter didn't turn out well. The shadows make it look far more impressive than it actually is. I wish it was bigger, fuller, and more glorious and epic. :viking:

I'm still in disbelief about the mayo recipe, so I'm checking with a cosmetics chemist to see what she has to say. :P

that's ridiculous. cosmetic people want to sell you $30-40 expensive ass chemical treatments. olive oil avocado and egg yolk or mayo (as egg is in mayo) offer the fats and proteins your hair needs to be strong and soft. i have put it on my own hair and even whipped up a batch for a friend and both of us are impressed.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:45 am

WizardBeast wrote:that's ridiculous. cosmetic people want to sell you $30-40 expensive ass chemical treatments. olive oil avocado and egg yolk or mayo (as egg is in mayo) offer the fats and proteins your hair needs to be strong and soft. i have put it on my own hair and even whipped up a batch for a friend and both of us are impressed.

True, but that's why I was talking to a chemist. See what the chemical reason is for it to work.

I did find a decent picture, but I have nowhere to host it, so I was going to make it my avatar, but I can't make the picture small enough to work. (6K is ridiculously small.) The problem I have is that I only seem to be able to use Paint to edit pics, and it only allows resizing, which makes the picture far too small to be worthwhile. It will not allow me to change the resolution or compression. Any ideas on changing the dpi and compression?

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 am

EvilDan wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:that's ridiculous. cosmetic people want to sell you $30-40 expensive ass chemical treatments. olive oil avocado and egg yolk or mayo (as egg is in mayo) offer the fats and proteins your hair needs to be strong and soft. i have put it on my own hair and even whipped up a batch for a friend and both of us are impressed.

True, but that's why I was talking to a chemist. See what the chemical reason is for it to work.

I did find a decent picture, but I have nowhere to host it, so I was going to make it my avatar, but I can't make the picture small enough to work. (6K is ridiculously small.) The problem I have is that I only seem to be able to use Paint to edit pics, and it only allows resizing, which makes the picture far too small to be worthwhile. It will not allow me to change the resolution or compression. Any ideas on changing the dpi and compression?

the only way i get pictures to work is to have them hosted on another website like flickr or something and then link it back here.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 am

Let's tie Nick and Dan's beards together and see who wins the tug of war.

My guess is that Dan will with a simple flick of the chin and then Nick can act as a windsock for 4 days :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:41 am

KevinP wrote:Let's tie Nick and Dan's beards together and see who wins the tug of war.

My guess is that Dan will with a simple flick of the chin and then Nick can act as a windsock for 4 days :mrgreen:

Nick shorn his down! he is out of the competition....
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:06 am

WizardBeast wrote:
    KevinP wrote:Let's tie Nick and Dan's beards together and see who wins the tug of war.

Does the carpet match the chin now ?
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:07 am

KevinP wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:28 am

gnoff wrote:I upload pics to google and then copy the link

yeah, that's the way to go. the photo is NEVER small enough otherwise!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 am

KevinP wrote:
    WizardBeast wrote:

:lol: :shock:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:25 pm

[quote="EvilDan"I did find a decent picture, but I have nowhere to host it, so I was going to make it my avatar, but I can't make the picture small enough to work. (6K is ridiculously small.) The problem I have is that I only seem to be able to use Paint to edit pics, and it only allows resizing, which makes the picture far too small to be worthwhile. It will not allow me to change the resolution or compression. Any ideas on changing the dpi and compression?[/quote]
    If uploading to google as others suggested doesn't work for you, check out http://www.photobucket.com

GL
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 pm

This dude needs some serious hair products! I won't mention who this reminded me of... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am sure Kevin will do that the minute he sees this. :mrgreen:

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Holy quote fail ShoreSlayer! You've been away from the forum for too long.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:43 pm

[quote="mooyagi"Holy quote fail ShoreSlayer! You've been away from the forum for too long.[/quote]
    Ya know... I read this, went and hit edit and was about to fix it then thought, fuck it, how many messed up quotes have I read here over the years and understood perfectly damn well what was being quoted and by who. This response also helps further my cause of getting to 6666 before you so it's a win/win as far as I'm concerned! :P :twisted:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:34 am

You quote failed again, Deb. :lol: I may give you a pass on this one since I assume you did that on purpose.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 am

And there's no way I could possibly catch you before 6666 posts
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:35 am

Even if I split my responses into triple posts :twisted: