Post Reply 141 posts
The Money Thread
    Laura
    Commander

The Money Thread

by Laura » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Rather than derail the "What are you listening to?" thread further, I thought I'd move a particular conversation from there to here. At first, I thought I'd just move it over to "Random bitching" but since it was money related - I thought "Money Thread" - why not? I'm sure folks could take the subject of Money to hither and yon in no time! ;) :lol:

so...from the What are you listening to? thread earlier today...

KevinP wrote:
    Laura wrote:
    KevinP wrote:My 7 year old bitch and moan. Damn this broad needs a nap!!!!!!

similar here, but slightly different...the 14 year old has her heart set on getting a MacBook Air for her birthday which was last Wednesday (I think mainly because it looks "cool"). We told her we'd get her a laptop for her birthday...and of course she picks a $1000 one....I'd be willing to get it for her, but husband says no - a 14 year old doesn't need a $1000 laptop - the negotiations continue....

Proof once again that the hubbie is the SANE & RATIONALE one in that relationship. I assume he doesn't like black metal either :lol:

To your specific point - I'm sure hubbie would agree with you 1000% (as would I actually at times ;) ) Uhhhh, and I'm not sure he even knows what "black metal" is. :lol: To illustrate where we connect on music - here's a small bit of the conversation we had in the car today on the way out to breakfast this morning with the kids (prompted by Slow Ride by Foghat coming on the radio) -

Me: As far as 10 minute jam songs go, I think Slow Ride totally beats (Lynyrd Skynyrd's) Freebird.
    Him: NO WAY!

:lol: (we're only a few months apart in age, so we both grew up with this stuff - had the identical LP collections, etc.)

But I digress from the MONEY topic. Negotiations went well. No final decision, but the laptop compromise for V's birthday present is an HP around $400.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

Re: The Money Thread

by cycosurgeon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:45 pm

I think all threads are derailed on here usually by the same couple people. So keeping with the tradition and trying to beat them to the punch....

I like cucumbers! Who else likes cucumbers?
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm a senior in college, half of my classes are online, and even I don't have a $1000 laptop. Mine was $300.
    This is a sad thread, considering I'm having awful money issues at the moment due to a payment misunderstanding with my university. :evil:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:25 am

AlaskaRachel wrote:I'm a senior in college, half of my classes are online, and even I don't have a $1000 laptop. Mine was $300.
    This is a sad thread, considering I'm having awful money issues at the moment due to a payment misunderstanding with my university. :evil:

Sorry about that Rachel - I've read about your uni payment problems elsewhere and that's really a drag.

There's so much one could say about money. How much do I want? How much do I need? What are my spending priorities? What would I be willing to do for money?

My situation of course is very different than yours Rachel - you are young enough to be my daughter. My husband and I have been established in our work and careers for a very long time now and we live a very comfortable life. That has a lot to do with the choices we've made however...19 years ago, we bought a house in (what was at that time) a very dangerous Chicago neighborhood (so it was way less $ than what you pay for just a 25' x 125' lot here now), most of the furniture we own is what we bought many years ago (very good quality so it has lasted well), we own one 15 year old car and have no plans to replace it or get another, I've never spent much money on clothes, jewelry, make-up - that kinda stuff. So, being frugal in all those areas has freed up a lot of cash to go on some magnificent vacations and attend performing arts events of all kinds which has always been MY #1 spending priority. Regarding what we've spent on the kids, we definitely do NOT give them every material thing they want - they know some really rich kids who do and I would never do that, even if I had all the money in the world. Regarding the Apple laptop - me and the girls LOVE all our Apple stuff (we all kinda drool when we go in the big Apple store downtown), so I'm not surprised she wanted the Macbook Air (which IS unbelievably cool btw - I WANT one! - but I won't buy one for me, because I don't NEED it. :beerwink: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rcg8vvF ... ata_player
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 am

MONEY - Pink Floyd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_anbEJsr6s

For the Love of Money - Bulletboys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxaCG9PBOs

Gimme Some Money - Spinal Tap
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMZv2r3Yp0&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL1D00C8D6F0C866F7

Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_O0hUMIWk&feature=related

Money For Nothin' - Dire Straits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnA0ix9hZU

:beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns:
    figured this thread needed some MONEY music
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:42 am

DragonLordJones wrote:MONEY - Pink Floyd
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_anbEJsr6s

For the Love of Money - Bulletboys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqxaCG9PBOs

Gimme Some Money - Spinal Tap
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMZv2r3Yp0&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL1D00C8D6F0C866F7

Billion Dollar Babies - Alice Cooper
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z_O0hUMIWk&feature=related

Money For Nothin' - Dire Straits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsnA0ix9hZU

:beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns: :beerhorns:
    figured this thread needed some MONEY music

i too was thinking of money related tunes!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 am

Love all those $$$$ songs Jim! Especially Money by Pink Floyd...I thought of the lines...
    "Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today."

Is it?
    I would say greed (related to money sometimes, but not always), and the desire for power.
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:35 am

those were just the first ones to pop into my head when I read the thread title

would have to dig deeper into my collection for others :lol: :beerhorns:
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:53 am

the beatles - Money (that's what I want
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vH3lBI5Arc

AC/DC - Money Talks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyzFsYEdco

Rush - Big Money
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvEiLpboqk

the Who - Did you Steal My Money
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8EpUDPCNYw

If I had a Million Dollars - Bare Naked Ladies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHacDYj8KZM

just a few more all mighty dollar songs :lol: :beerhorns: :shots:

had to add Led Zeppelin's cover of this song Money (That's What I Want)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17auRAksrmI&feature=related
    this the first time I've ever heard this version from Zeppelin :beerhorns:
    Last edited by DragonLordJones on Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Can I ask what the reasoning is behind "A 14 year old doesn't need a $1000 laptop"? I hear this all the time about "Kids don't need Iphones in schools" and BS like that and I'm sorry but I don't see the logic behind it.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Personally, my parents are very well off and easily could have bought me nicer things like an iphone or a laptop as a kid, but I don't think they ever bought me a single thing worth over $100 until I was 18. I grew up in a rich neighborhood and I went to the high school dubbed "the rich bitch school." A lot of my classmates drove extremely nice cars to school (I drove a 15 year old toyota with messed up power steering). But Ive grown up believing that if I want something expensive, I better start saving. As soon as I was old enough to get a job, I got one. I worked 2 jobs for most of my work life. So when I see 13 year olds walking around with iphones and macbooks, I wonder if they understand and appreciate how hard their parents had to work to buy that for them. Or how many hours at minimum wage it would take to buy it themselves. Side note, I definitely can't afford this cruise. I'm still going, nothing's going to stop me, but holy hell it is a huge chunk of my annual gross income.
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Stained Class wrote:Can I ask what the reasoning is behind "A 14 year old doesn't need a $1000 laptop"? I hear this all the time about "Kids don't need Iphones in schools" and BS like that and I'm sorry but I don't see the logic behind it.

I have a 14 year old sister and she destroys everything she gets! She got an android phone for her birthday in May and she dropped it in the pool a couple of weeks ago. She get's a new phone every 6 months! It's ridiculous.
    It's not just phones but iPods, dvds, etc, she has no respect and no value for money she just wants, wants and wants. Part of it is my parent’s fault they have let her run wild, but there would be no way in this world they would buy her a $1000 laptop, they wouldn't even let her have my older sister's 7 year old laptop.

I am not saying Laura's daughter is the same or every 14 year old, but I do see the logic behind not spending so much money on kids, they don't value money and then they think everything gets handed to you on a platter.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 pm

I grew up with nothing. Not even an allowance. During school weeks I got 40 cents per day for lunch. I'd save that for months at a time to get money to buy tapes. My 1st computer was a hand me down Tandy that was only useful for typing papers for school.
    Because I had to sacrifice for everything, everything was of value to me. The 1st computer I bought cost me about $1200 in 1999, and I still have it (and it still outperforms a lot of my friends's newer computers)... though, at this point I rarely use it and am ready to retire it when I decide to build a new PC.
    I still own my walkman and discman, despite rare need.
    I stand 100% behind the fact that you appreciate things more when you earn them. I also think kids these days are spoiled beyond rotten and the state of culture clearly attests to this.
    Kids should be happy if they have computer and internet access available to them for free at the library and should feel privileged if their parents choose to make it available to them at home. Or, better yet... go outside and play with their friends.
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Stained Class wrote:Can I ask what the reasoning is behind "A 14 year old doesn't need a $1000 laptop"? I hear this all the time about "Kids don't need Iphones in schools" and BS like that and I'm sorry but I don't see the logic behind it.

First of all, kids should be playing outside at that age, and not glued to the computer. No wonder why there are so many obesity issues with kids now a days, they're pretty sedentary, compared to kids some years ago. Second, what several people have already mentioned. If you just give them everything (especially unnecessary things), a lot of kids tend to not appreciate what is being given to them and also have a sense of entitlement, that everything should be given to them without them having to make any effort what so ever.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 pm

KDibildox wrote:

First of all, kids should be playing outside at that age, and not glued to the computer. No wonder why there are so many obesity issues with kids now a days, they're pretty sedentary, compared to kids some years ago. Second, what several people have already mentioned. If you just give them everything (especially unnecessary things), a lot of kids tend to not appreciate what is being given to them and also have a sense of entitlement, that everything should be given to them without them having to make any effort what so ever.

+70000

I've made a lot of mistakes with money in my life. Where I'm living right now is testament to that. I could be just as well off moving inland a tiny bit and saving a ton of money but I just had to live on the beach. Waste of money that could've helped me make an even bigger dent into my college loans than I have already. Ah well, live and learn.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:07 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:

+70000

I've made a lot of mistakes with money in my life. Where I'm living right now is testament to that. I could be just as well off moving inland a tiny bit and saving a ton of money but I just had to live on the beach. Waste of money that could've helped me make an even bigger dent into my college loans than I have already. Ah well, live and learn.

Well if it made you feel a little less miserable about the whole California thing to be near the ocean, than it wasn't money wasted, imo. Also, you're now doing something about it, so that's pretty awesome :mrgreen:
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Lots of opinions - this is a good thing - good to read everyone's perspective. This conversation began because of my 14 year old's birthday gift of a laptop computer. One of the main reasons we thought it was a good idea (particularly at this time) is this: for the past several years the girls and I have shared a desk-top computer in our family room (my husband has his own elaborate computer set up in his office for his business). We each have our own log-ins with our own iPhoto, iTunes libraries, etc. With more and more school projects, plus their own recreational use of the computer, sharing it between the three of us has become more of a challenge. So, once V has her laptop, she won't be using the desktop anymore (for the most part)....so more convenience for me and younger daughter. Then, of course the big decision was which one? So, all's well that ends well - we bought a Toshiba for her today at Best Buy for well under $500 - less than half the price of the Macbook Air and it has considerably more computing power. Oh, and she is absolutely thrilled with it!! :D

We've got great kids (and I'm not just saying that because I love them to pieces ;) ). They are very good students, respectful, and are very focused on their martial arts. Do we spoil them? Regarding material things, they've gotten something special (like an American Girl Doll, iPod, ski gear, digital camera, Nintendo, a nice bike, etc. once or twice a year (Christmas and/or birthday). We also take them on a lot of nice vacations, adventures in Chicago, nice meals out at restaurants, etc. which have all been very good bonding experiences. Other than "what money can buy," we spoil them greatly with love and attention - which in my view, there's never too much of that. ;) :D
    Last edited by Laura on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Yeah it seems like everyone had the same response to my question, having to earn something to appreciate it's value. I think I was coming at a different angle because I always hear my extended family talking about it not so much in the sense of not appreciating the value of these things but that these things are actually having a serious negative affect on children. I agree with the sentiment that you should earn something if you want it, everything I have I paid for myself. I might have been spoiled a little bit growing up but I still appreciate everything my parents have given me. The point I was making is it seems like sometimes the older generations have resentment towards some of the technology available today and have this idea that it's poisoning the younger generations. I guess this is partly true, but not for the same reasons.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Laura wrote:Lots of opinions - this is a good thing - good to read everyone's perspective. This conversation began because of my 14 year old's birthday gift of a laptop computer. One of the main reasons we thought it was a good idea (particularly at this time) is this: for the past several years the girls and I have shared a desk-top computer in our family room (my husband has his own elaborate computer set up in his office for his business). We each have our own log-ins with our own iPhoto, iTunes libraries, etc. With more and more school projects, plus their own recreational use of the computer, sharing it between the three of us has become more of a challenge. So, once V has her laptop, she won't be using the desktop anymore (for the most part)....so more convenience for me and younger daughter. Then, of course the big decision was which one? So, all's well that ends well - we bought a Toshiba for her today at Best Buy for well under $500 - less than half the price of the Macbook Air and it has considerably more computing power. Oh, and she is absolutely thrilled with it!! :D

We've got great kids (and I'm not just saying that because I love them to pieces ;) ). They are very good students, respectful, and are very focused on their martial arts. Do we spoil them? Regarding material things, they've gotten something special (like an American Girl Doll, iPod, ski gear, digital camera, Nintendo, a nice bike, etc. once or twice a year (Christmas and/or birthday). We also take them on a lot of nice vacations, adventures in Chicago, nice meals out at restaurants, etc. which have all been very good bonding experiences. Other than "what money can buy," we spoil them greatly with love and attention - which in my view, there's never too much of that. :|

I'm a fan of the Toshiba Satellite laptops, a good choice in my opinion
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:52 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:the beatles - Money (that's what I want
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vH3lBI5Arc

AC/DC - Money Talks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmyzFsYEdco

Rush - Big Money
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAvEiLpboqk

the Who - Did you Steal My Money
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8EpUDPCNYw

If I had a Million Dollars - Bare Naked Ladies
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHacDYj8KZM

just a few more all mighty dollar songs :lol: :beerhorns: :shots:

had to add Led Zeppelin's cover of this song Money (That's What I Want)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17auRAksrmI&feature=related
    this the first time I've ever heard this version from Zeppelin :beerhorns:

You forgot one of the greatest of all time.

Pink Floyd: Money.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Stained Class wrote:Yeah it seems like everyone had the same response to my question, having to earn something to appreciate it's value. I think I was coming at a different angle because I always hear my extended family talking about it not so much in the sense of not appreciating the value of these things but that these things are actually having a serious negative affect on children. I agree with the sentiment that you should earn something if you want it, everything I have I paid for myself. I might have been spoiled a little bit growing up but I still appreciate everything my parents have given me. The point I was making is it seems like sometimes the older generations have resentment towards some of the technology available today and have this idea that it's poisoning the younger generations. I guess this is partly true, but not for the same reasons.

I did mention that kids should play outside more, instead of being glued to monitors all day, and I stand by that opinion. I love computers but am glad I had a childhood of playing outside and actually using my imagination.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:16 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Yeah it seems like everyone had the same response to my question, having to earn something to appreciate it's value. I think I was coming at a different angle because I always hear my extended family talking about it not so much in the sense of not appreciating the value of these things but that these things are actually having a serious negative affect on children. I agree with the sentiment that you should earn something if you want it, everything I have I paid for myself. I might have been spoiled a little bit growing up but I still appreciate everything my parents have given me. The point I was making is it seems like sometimes the older generations have resentment towards some of the technology available today and have this idea that it's poisoning the younger generations. I guess this is partly true, but not for the same reasons.

I did mention that kids should play outside more, instead of being glued to monitors all day, and I stand by that opinion. I love computers but am glad I had a childhood of playing outside and actually using my imagination.

Agreed. I went on so many adventures inside of my own back yard.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:19 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:

Me too! I even tried the umbrella thing: jumping off our monkey bars, expecting to float. Didn't work :lol:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:22 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I did mention that kids should play outside more, instead of being glued to monitors all day, and I stand by that opinion. I love computers but am glad I had a childhood of playing outside and actually using my imagination.

Me too! I even tried the umbrella thing: jumping off our monkey bars, expecting to float. Didn't work :lol:

I wasn't that stupid :P
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Agreed. I went on so many adventures inside of my own back yard.

:lol: I landed on my feet ;)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:27 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:Me too! I even tried the umbrella thing: jumping off our monkey bars, expecting to float. Didn't work :lol:

The problem was that you didn't jump from a high enough place. Find the highest roof in Tucson. From that point you should be able to catch enough of a drift after the jump to float away to wherever your heart desires. Come back with a report when done.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I did mention that kids should play outside more, instead of being glued to monitors all day, and I stand by that opinion. I love computers but am glad I had a childhood of playing outside and actually using my imagination.

lol! :lol: I tried the umbrella thing too, I don't remember if I got injured or not though. Growing up we didn't have a TV at all, and Dad did get a computer later into my childhood, but I rarely used it, only played Wolfenstein 3D occasionally when it was first released. So I made my own fun outdoors with my friends, and it was great and much better for me in the long run. I certainly was never spoiled, my parents never bought me anything that my younger cousins get nowadays (ipods, ipads, xbox etc). I didn't even own any of that kind of technology until my late teen/early twenty years.

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:39 pm

The whole "you need you earn something to appreciate it" concept is interesting... but in the case of kids, I think both the age of the child and/or what, if anything, one is expected to do to "earn" something is a factor. Here's an example, when my girls were around 3 and 4, we bought them a 2 seater motorized Barbie car for Christmas. It was a classic Christmas Eve...kids go to sleep, husband brings in the gigantic box (that had been hidden in the garage), and he set to work building the thing (which took awhile as I recall :P ). Next morning, the girls were squealing with excitement about opening their presents as they were coming down the stairs...and then they saw IT - their own car! :shock: The looks on their faces, and the joy that pink car (complete with sound effects and play radio that played like 5 songs :lol: ) brought them as they rode around the neighborhood in it for the next few years was priceless. It was expensive but worth every penny. Every so often they still talk about how much they loved that car. :lol:
    Last edited by Laura on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 pm

I loved playing outside as a kid as well. My kids don't have as much free reign as I did since we live in a big city, but they still manage to play lots of outdoor games with the neighborhood kids - building forts, water fights, spy games and the like. (we also put time restrictions/ time-out controls on their computer user names)
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:52 pm

Laura wrote:I loved playing outside as a kid as well. My kids don't have as much free reign as I did since we live in a big city, but they still manage to play lots of outdoor games with the neighborhood kids - building forts, water fights, spy games and the like. (we also put time restrictions/ time-out controls on their computer user names)

That sounds like a good compromise. And yeah, really young kids probably don't apply as much to the "earning something to appreciate it" thing.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:54 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I wasn't that stupid :P

The problem was that you didn't jump from a high enough place. Find the highest roof in Tucson. From that point you should be able to catch enough of a drift after the jump to float away to wherever your heart desires. Come back with a report when done.

Okay!Image

Though....... the buildings here are pretty flat :lol:

Conrad wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Agreed. I went on so many adventures inside of my own back yard.

lol! :lol: I tried the umbrella thing too, I don't remember if I got injured or not though. Growing up we didn't have a TV at all, and Dad did get a computer later into my childhood, but I rarely used it, only played Wolfenstein 3D occasionally when it was first released. So I made my own fun outdoors with my friends, and it was great and much better for me in the long run. I certainly was never spoiled, my parents never bought me anything that my younger cousins get nowadays (ipods, ipads, xbox etc). I didn't even own any of that kind of technology until my late teen/early twenty years.

Haha good to know I wasn't the only weirdo :cheers:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Great stories of backyard fun stirring up cool memories...

When I was 7 or so, I learned we were moving to a new house in a new neighbourhood and wasn't thrilled but was coaxed into enthusiasm with tales of The Gazebo in the back yard. I'd never heard such a word and, when I asked what it was, received a description of this thing that somehow excluded the detail that it was made out of wood. Somehow, my young mind pictured it made out of metal and looking like a space observatory with full on shiny, chrome roof and sliding panel doors and everything. Well, needless to say, when I got my first look at the house I ran straight to the backyard and did a quick, 7 y/o version of WTF? :shock: when I saw this decrepit old moss-covered, wooden thing that had birds' nests inside and thorns growing all around it. Bit of a let down but behind it were trails that led into acres of forest and a the adjacent park complete with lake and baseball diamond and tadpole ponds and an outdoor pool and ... I learned to like the gazebo cuz it was basically the hangout spot that was the gateway to all kinds of fun and adventure that lay beyond.

And, speaking of roofs, that same house had an open carport with one of those A-framed roofs that was low at either end and about 10 feet higher at it's apex. Me and my neighbour friend Blair got in major shit one summer cuz we were climbing up and jumping off from progressively greater heights. We were landing on our feet each time but probably getting close to breaking an ankle or something if we hadn't been stopped lol. Good times :headbanger:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:16 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    Conrad wrote:lol! :lol: I tried the umbrella thing too, I don't remember if I got injured or not though. Growing up we didn't have a TV at all, and Dad did get a computer later into my childhood, but I rarely used it, only played Wolfenstein 3D occasionally when it was first released. So I made my own fun outdoors with my friends, and it was great and much better for me in the long run. I certainly was never spoiled, my parents never bought me anything that my younger cousins get nowadays (ipods, ipads, xbox etc). I didn't even own any of that kind of technology until my late teen/early twenty years.

Haha good to know I wasn't the only weirdo :cheers:

Young minds are so impressionable. I mean, if Mary Poppins can do it, then why can't I? :lol:

2019 Wishlist:
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Childhood memories:
    I rode my bike a LOT as a kid. I live in a wooded area and a really nice neighborhood, so my parents let me go wherever I want, provided I was home by dinner. In the winter if my parents weren't paying attention, my brother and I would jump out of our second story bedroom windows into the snow :shock: I have no idea how we didn't get hurt. Never tried with an umbrella though...
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:56 pm

Conrad wrote:You forgot one of the greatest of all time.

no you just overlooked it ...... it was the very first song i posted. but agree awesome song :cheers: :beerhorns:
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 pm

Back to money and kids:
    I've always harbored resentment toward my brother because he's the one that gets all the expensive electronics. I had to buy both of my laptops, harddrives, my phone, etc myself as a teenager. Also I was a straight A student in high school and I was generally well-behaved. However, my brother is failing school, spends all day playing games on a computer that my mother bought for him, or he plays xbox (parents bought) on a 40+ inch flat screen (parents bought) in his room. He had a laptop once (parents bought), and he broke it.
    Call it sibling rivalry, but I think he's completely spoiled for no good reason. And here I am watching borrowed movies on a TV from the 90s that I found on the side of the road :evil: /rant.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:02 pm

DragonLordJones wrote:
    Conrad wrote:You forgot one of the greatest of all time.

no you just overlooked it ...... it was the very first song i posted. but agree awesome song :cheers: :beerhorns:

Aaah true, my bad. Somehow I missed the previous post.

2019 Wishlist:
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 pm

AlaskaRachel wrote:Childhood memories:
    I rode my bike a LOT as a kid. I live in a wooded area and a really nice neighborhood, so my parents let me go wherever I want, provided I was home by dinner. In the winter if my parents weren't paying attention, my brother and I would jump out of our second story bedroom windows into the snow :shock: I have no idea how we didn't get hurt. Never tried with an umbrella though...

Lucky you! I didn't even have a bike :cry: My parents wouldn't get me one. I had my first bike when I was about 16. I used to ride to work a lot, but I rarely use it now, I prefer to walk. I put a motor on my bike so it's now a motor cycle.

2019 Wishlist:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm

When I was a kid I didn't need any electronics to have a great time. Never had reliable internet until I got to college anyways. How times have changed. I miss my carefree days of playing outside for hours on end, coming in only to eat dinner before going back out. Shit, as a kid, give me a wiffle ball and bat and I'd be good for the whole day. I also miss the summer camp games I played in the woods. We had some epic battles playing huge games of Capture the Flag and a really cool game that involved two teams with each player on the team having a rank similar to in Stratego and we would run around the woods (or hide for some ranks) challenging opponents. Each challenge worked like in Stratego as well. That game was a blast.

I miss being a kid. :cry:
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:24 pm

Conrad wrote:
    AlaskaRachel wrote:Childhood memories:

Lucky you! I didn't even have a bike :cry: My parents wouldn't get me one. I had my first bike when I was about 16. I used to ride to work a lot, but I rarely use it now, I prefer to walk. I put a motor on my bike so it's now a motor cycle.

My first bike was a hand-me-down from an older girl in the neighborhood. I rode that thing for years, even when I was way too big for it :lol:
Post Reply 141 posts