Post Reply 141 posts
The Money Thread
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

Re: The Money Thread

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:47 pm

yeah, the bike was where it was at! I lived on my bike (and several times got lucky I didn't die on it)... I totally miss those days and would LOVE to live somewhere where I could get back into it (I hate having to take my bike somewhere with my car just to ride)
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:12 pm

For me instead of a bike, it was a surfboard, I did a lot of surfing up until about 10yrs old. Those were the days.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:40 am

Living on the countryside did have its upsides. I got my first car when I was six. Granted, it wasn't much, just an old Skoda, but we had lots of fun with it. A couple of years later me and my older sister got a Lada Niva, a Russian 4x4. That one was great for offroading. And my grandpa used to let us kids use his ATV. Oh, one of my uncles was an amateur rally driver and he took me for a drive sometimes. That was seriously cool.
    Other than driving, we obviously got our hands on guns and practiced shooting a lot. I did have a computer (Commodore 64 and Amiga after the C-64) when I was a kid, and even if we played lots, we still used most our time outdoors. Couldn't even imagine sitting inside for the whole day just playing video games.

My parents made us work (mow the lawn, shovel snow and so forth) for the "luxury" things they bought us kids. And because they ran their own business, I got to work for the summers there and get some money for my own. I think it was better to earn your cash than just getting it without doing anything. I had friends like that and now as adults they aren't good with money and have trouble with their finances.
    Even if my parents weren't rich, more like plain well-off, we got to travel a lot as kids. I've been to most European countries and I guess that's where I get the love for traveling.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:33 am

DrinkMoxie wrote:
    Laura wrote:Then, of course the big decision was which one? So, all's well that ends well - we bought a Toshiba for her today at Best Buy for well under $500 - less than half the price of the Macbook Air and it has considerably more computing power. Oh, and she is absolutely thrilled with it!! :D

I'm a fan of the Toshiba Satellite laptops, a good choice in my opinion

Good to hear - it's amazing to me how much you can get (computer-wise) for a relatively small amount of money - if I remember correctly, some of the first Texas Instruments CALCULATORS were well over $100 and that was a looooong time ago. The Toshiba she got is this: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops ... 55D-S5218/ The list price is around $550, but we got it for $450 - deal!

I mentioned the expensive Barbie car (man, I gotta find a picture of that thing - it was awesome! :P ) that she and her sister got when they were under five years old. Obviously, at that age, kids don't do much in the way of "earning" things - outside of good behavior (and they have always been fairly mellow and very well-behaved). Now that they are older, we don't have a strict set of rules about how they "earn" certain special gifts. In short, they know that we expect them to do their very best at school, do what they are told to do helping out around the house, and be respectful. They do all those things, so to me, it's pretty much a no brainer to buy them something special every so often (but not too often as to over-indulge - I think that is very bad idea when parents do that).

I've told them several times in the past few years how my parents (their grandparents who they have spent a lot of time with and are very close to) treated me as a teenager. There was pretty much an unspoken agreement between us - as long as I got my straight A's, did my school extracurricular well (lol - pom pom squad & musicals), and most important - was respectful of them - they pretty much let me do what I wanted - I didn't even have a curfew. But because of that "unspoken" agreement, I didn't abuse that freedom. I knew if I did, it would be "game over." I was a VERY wild and crazy teenager, but I knew my limits. I've probably said this on the forum before....but my folks were always cool about me liking rock music and going to concerts on my own with my friends since around age 15/16 (even though they themselves never liked most "rock.") Lol - before any of my friends were allowed to drive the family car downtown to a gig, my parents would drive us to the suburban train station so we could go to some of the big arena/stadium rock gigs like Peter :lol: Frampton (woohoo!), Journey, Queen, The Rolling Stones, and so on. I often wonder if they realized how much drug use and overall nutty behavior (myself included :oops: ) there was at those late 70s gigs. :P :lol:

I've already told my kids that around 15/16, they will be able to go to shows on their own with their friends (which they are excited about). For now though, it's pretty sweet that they still like to do so much with their mom and dad. Veronica and I had a GREAT time at the Rihanna gig in June. I would have taken her to Lollapalooza this year (she's a big Eminem fan, as am I :P ), but they were at a summer camp up in Michigan that week. We're definitely planning on going all three days next summer though.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:51 am

You sound like a really good mom, which is disappointingly rare these days :3drunks: I have the same agreement with my parents (I mean, I'm 22 now but I have had that since I was 15) and I respected them and didn't abuse the freedom they gave me because they trust me.

Kate, (too lazy to go back and quote), You're right, kids should defintely go outside and play more. I think that applies to adults equally, the difference is we don't have adults telling us to go outside and play more :mrgreen:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:05 pm

^^^ well, thanks Joey! - very nice of you to say that - and also I'm glad you can relate to what I was trying to say about respect, freedom, trust, etc. between parents and their children.

My husband and I are very anti-"organized religion" (we're both agnostic) and have raised our girls with zero religion (in the traditional religion sense like belonging to a church, etc.), but through example (and discussing it from time to time as well) - we focus on the golden rule "do onto others" bible verse from Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you. Similarly, living according to the basic concept of karma. I believe these simple ideas go a long way toward a good way to live and a contented life overall. :beerwink:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Totally wrong Thread for me. Nothing to tell about :3drunks:
    Just want my Avatar under Laura's .... :death:
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 pm

I live paycheck-to-paycheck, albeit very comfortably. I like nice things. Over the years I will likely be saving more, but as for right now I'm very happy with the way my life is going, even if I don't have a bunch of financial freedom. I've got a nice apartment, a nice car, and I like drinking nice beers and eating nice food. I make enough money to have these things, and so I indulge! I'm investing a lot in shared ownership with my company, so a lot of my money gets matched and saved.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Stained Class wrote:Kate, (too lazy to go back and quote), You're right, kids should defintely go outside and play more. I think that applies to adults equally, the difference is we don't have adults telling us to go outside and play more :mrgreen:

Agreed :D

Laura wrote:My husband and I are very anti-"organized religion" (we're both agnostic) and have raised our girls with zero religion (in the traditional religion sense like belonging to a church, etc.), but through example (and discussing it from time to time as well) - we focus on the golden rule "do onto others" bible verse from Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you. Similarly, living according to the basic concept of karma. I believe these simple ideas go a long way toward a good way to live and a contented life overall. :beerwink:

This pretty much describes my view on life :mrgreen:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Just my 2 cents but, ever since learning about it, I've always liked the concept that kids don't earn money for chores as these are simply things that all members of the family do in order to keep the home functioning.

They do get money of course but it's given in order to help teach certain life skills such as purchasing, saving and donating etc to learn how to use money in preparation for 'real' life.

Kind of a newer, somewhat airy-fairy type approach compared to the old school but makes sense to me and the families I've seen employ it swear by it.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:28 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Just my 2 cents but, ever since learning about it, I've always liked the concept that kids don't earn money for chores as these are simply things that all members of the family do in order to keep the home functioning.

They do get money of course but it's given in order to help teach certain life skills such as purchasing, saving and donating etc to learn how to use money in preparation for 'real' life.

Kind of a newer, somewhat airy-fairy type approach compared to the old school but makes sense to me and the families I've seen employ it swear by it.

Sounds pretty reasonable based on the Overjustification Theory (Law, Principle, I forget). According to it, people can lose interest in almost anything if you pay or reward them for doing it and then suddenly stop paying them after awhile.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 am

Lala wrote:Totally wrong Thread for me. Nothing to tell about :3drunks:
    Just want my Avatar under Laura's .... :death:

Lala - great avatar picture by The Bean!!!! :cheers: :cheers: (and my current avatar - as you probably recognize - is Buckingham Fountain - aka the Married with Children fountain - that's me as Peg Bundy :lol: )

The "Bean" is my favorite public sculpture in the world (of those I've seen). For those who haven't been to Chicago it's by Millennium Park - the official name is "Cloud Gate" and the artist is Anish Kapoor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Gate and http://explorechicago.org/city/en/thing ... nigal.html

I've taken a lot of pictures of it - here are a few....

On the underside is the "omphalos" (Greek for "navel"), a concave chamber that warps and multiplies reflections. That's me standing at the bottom in the center, as well as in the multiple reflections. Mooyagi - this is a must see when you come to Chicago!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Cool pics Laura! If I have time I will definitely have to check it out.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:08 pm

I was pretty underwhelmed when I saw it; the ladyfriend was stoked about it though. Guess modern art as such isn't my thing!
    10-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    APaleHorseNamedDeath-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Ataraxie-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-DoomVS-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-Ea-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Hypocrisy-/-Krypts-/-Kull-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-Loss-/-Luna-/-TheManEatingTree-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Profetus-/-Prong-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-RevelationsOfRain-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-SolitudeAeturnus-/-Strigoi-/-TombofFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-WhoDiesInSiberianSlush-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-DarkTranquillity-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kataklysm-/-Kreator-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonspell-/-MyDyingBride-/-Månegarm-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-RottingChrist-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-SymphonyX-/-Thyrfing
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I loved the bean! :mrgreen: but I am biased towards beans, being mexican and all :lol:
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:38 pm

KDibildox wrote:I loved the bean! :mrgreen: but I am biased towards beans, being mexican and all :lol:

Remind me not to stand behind you while waiting to board the ship!

:?

;)

:twisted:
    2011: Cruise Survivor
    2012: Cruise & Forum Survivor

...So was Laura beside the chieftains
    like the bright-growing ash beside the thorn-bush...
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:42 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:I loved the bean! :mrgreen: but I am biased towards beans, being mexican and all :lol:

Remind me not to stand behind you while waiting to board the ship!

:?

;)

:twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:31 pm

did you flick it?

Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-WitheringSurface-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:33 pm

I grew up pretty fortunate (both parents are prominent doctors, as well as their spouses), but I'm really glad in retrospect I wasn't overly spoiled. On one hand, I got many experiences and trips, but not at crazy expensive resorts. If we went to Trinidad, it was going to be staying at a local's apartment or b&b and helping do chores between excursions. I got what I needed and still could probably ask for more, but I'm independent and paying my own car, apartment, tuition etc. If I get rich, I'm definitely going to limit my kids' video game time and privileges just like mine were. The amount of kids glued to their computer screens while becoming obese is rather sickening.

Fun fact, my mom and her husband were on the cruise last year and will be this year. Redhead 60 year old woman with an Irish husband, glasses and gray curly hair.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:37 pm

What's money? Ooooh right! all that stuff I gave UMC so they can.....

....NOT MAKE ANNOUNCEMENTS!

KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:41 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:What's money? Ooooh right! all that stuff I gave UMC so they can.....

you live close enough, drive up there and pound it out of them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:02 pm

KevinP wrote:
    cycosurgeon wrote:What's money? Ooooh right! all that stuff I gave UMC so they can.....

you live close enough, drive up there and pound it out of them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Can't afford the gas to do it anymore!!
    '' :bitch: :bitch:

Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:57 am

alex_canada wrote:I grew up pretty fortunate (both parents are prominent doctors, as well as their spouses), but I'm really glad in retrospect I wasn't overly spoiled. On one hand, I got many experiences and trips, but not at crazy expensive resorts. If we went to Trinidad, it was going to be staying at a local's apartment or b&b and helping do chores between excursions. I got what I needed and still could probably ask for more, but I'm independent and paying my own car, apartment, tuition etc. If I get rich, I'm definitely going to limit my kids' video game time and privileges just like mine were. The amount of kids glued to their computer screens while becoming obese is rather sickening.

Fun fact, my mom and her husband were on the cruise last year and will be this year. Redhead 60 year old woman with an Irish husband, glasses and gray curly hair.

Sounds like your folks did right by you Alex. ;) Didn't know your mom was on the cruise this year! :cool: Is she into metal? I'd like to meet her and husband in January! :cheers:

You brought up the fact that your parents are doctors - which brings up the whole entire subject of what profession one chooses and how that affects one's life - both financially and happiness-wise. I tell my kids all the time that they need to find something they really love - because just think how many hours you'll spend doing it! In other words, how much $$$ you'll make from it should not be the primary driving force. I found my dream job 22 years ago and I'm still there. Ha - it doesn't even seem like a "job". Librarians don't make a lot of money compared to other professions, but it's enough.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:19 am

While this isn't money related, the thread did seem to address raising children, so I thought I'd share this article from Psychology Today. I'd just swap out "wimps" with "pussies".

http://www.psychologytoday.com/print/21819
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:59 am

another money related song
    The Kinks - Low Budget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykFL0Fs79MQ
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

by Amyphis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 am

EvilDan wrote:While this isn't money related, the thread did seem to address raising children, so I thought I'd share this article from Psychology Today. I'd just swap out "wimps" with "pussies".

Thanks for the article Evil Dan. I couldn't agree more. As a manager at a major retailer, I see the results of micro- parenting with most of the 20-somethings that we employ. They seem to be overly sensitive, unable to make decisions on their own, and don't understand that you are paid a salary because it is more than a 40 hour a week job. It seems they come and go pretty quickly. It makes me wonder what the future of the company will be when people quit before they can ever be developed into leaders.
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Amyphis wrote:
    EvilDan wrote:While this isn't money related, the thread did seem to address raising children, so I thought I'd share this article from Psychology Today. I'd just swap out "wimps" with "pussies".

Thanks for the article Evil Dan. I couldn't agree more. As a manager at a major retailer, I see the results of micro- parenting with most of the 20-somethings that we employ. They seem to be overly sensitive, unable to make decisions on their own, and don't understand that you are paid a salary because it is more than a 40 hour a week job. It seems they come and go pretty quickly. It makes me wonder what the future of the company will be when people quit before they can ever be developed into leaders.

I'm so glad I wasn't micro-parented. It made me very independent and strong-minded, which led to me becoming the youngest manager in the history of my company :D

Since this is the money thread, I will comment that my tuition is paid off, my bills are paid off, I have $50 in my checking account and a credit card. So my money issues are starting to clear up. Just need to put all my purchases on my credit card until I get paid next Friday and then I'll be golden :cool:
    cycosurgeon
    Lieutenant

by cycosurgeon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Amyphis wrote:

In my opinion no job should be forced or expected over 40 hours a week and this is coming from someone who has worked 90 hour weeks in two different industries ( one being a 115+ degree kitchen ). If your company can only get by if people are working over forty hour weeks then I suspect something else is amiss besides parenting .

WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:28 pm

alex_canada wrote:I grew up pretty fortunate (both parents are prominent doctors, as well as their spouses), but I'm really glad in retrospect I wasn't overly spoiled. On one hand, I got many experiences and trips, but not at crazy expensive resorts. If we went to Trinidad, it was going to be staying at a local's apartment or b&b and helping do chores between excursions. I got what I needed and still could probably ask for more, but I'm independent and paying my own car, apartment, tuition etc. If I get rich, I'm definitely going to limit my kids' video game time and privileges just like mine were. The amount of kids glued to their computer screens while becoming obese is rather sickening.

that's awesome, i'll have to say hi to them. my mom loves metal and would be there if she had "THE MONEY".
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:30 pm

cycosurgeon wrote:
    Amyphis wrote:

In my opinion no job should be forced or expected over 40 hours a week and this is coming from someone who has worked 90 hour weeks in two different industries ( one being a 115+ degree kitchen ). If your company can only get by if people are working over forty hour weeks then I suspect something else is amiss besides parenting .

Cyco, while i don't think that was the entire point of the post, i totally agree with you on this aspect. jobs should be able to be done effectively, efficiently, and reasonably, and within around 40-45 hrs TOPS, or else workers are probably being asked to do too much and that company should hire more or lean out its processes.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:14 pm

I'd say more like 32 hours, TOPS! :lol: I think most people would appreciate that and get the same amount of work done.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:59 pm

We have a standard work week of 37,5 hours in Finland on most companies. I usually get to leave early, so it's something like 35 hours a week for me. I have done some 70 hour weeks in the past, but even then all the hours over 40 were paid as overtime (the first two extra hours of the day +50% and +100% after that).
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 am

KDibildox wrote:I'd say more like 32 hours, TOPS! :lol: I think most people would appreciate that and get the same amount of work done.

yeah, no shit! no CHIT!
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:24 pm

KDibildox wrote:I'd say more like 32 hours, TOPS! :lol: I think most people would appreciate that and get the same amount of work done.

Absolutely! My goal is to earn a good sum of money and only working 4 days a week.
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:38 pm

WizardBeast wrote:

yeah, no shit! no CHIT!

Chet!!!!!!! :lol:

Fatum11 wrote:

Absolutely! My goal is to earn a good sum of money and only working 4 days a week.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering something part time, and trying to get the photography thing going, buuuuuuut freaking photography gear is ridiculously expensive and every time I think I've got the basics, something new comes to my attention. Grrrrrrrr :evil:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:35 am

KDibildox wrote:Yeah, I'm seriously considering something part time, and trying to get the photography thing going, buuuuuuut freaking photography gear is ridiculously expensive and every time I think I've got the basics, something new comes to my attention. Grrrrrrrr :evil:

Yeah, photography seems to be a fairly tough field. I supported an ex for a bit while she tried to make a go of it. Spent thousands for her equipment, and it appears it's still a part-time hobby for her. However, I would bet that you are more motivated and diligent in your work.

KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:33 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    KDibildox wrote:Yeah, I'm seriously considering something part time, and trying to get the photography thing going, buuuuuuut freaking photography gear is ridiculously expensive and every time I think I've got the basics, something new comes to my attention. Grrrrrrrr :evil:

Yeah, photography seems to be a fairly tough field. I supported an ex for a bit while she tried to make a go of it. Spent thousands for her equipment, and it appears it's still a part-time hobby for her. However, I would bet that you are more motivated and diligent in your work.

Well I decided to make it a point to learn this year. I'm into self teaching and MacGyvering things, so it's pretty cool to actually get decent results every so often. Today I'm going to be making a rain coat for my camera, using the sleeves of a an actual rain suit and ziplock bags, since it appears it'll be raining in Oregon this weekend, and I refuse to let that ruin photo opportunities :mrgreen:
    Last edited by KDibildeaux on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Fatum11
    Chief Petty Officer

by Fatum11 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:29 pm

KDibildox wrote:
    Fatum11 wrote:

Yeah, I'm seriously considering something part time, and trying to get the photography thing going, buuuuuuut freaking photography gear is ridiculously expensive and every time I think I've got the basics, something new comes to my attention. Grrrrrrrr :evil:

Oh that's annoying!! :evil: maybe you should look into selling your photos to pay for the gear. You're extremely talented I think people would buy them, I know I would buy the one you posted on Facebook the other day, it is AMAZING!!
    Draconian-Samael-Opeth-Nightwish-Be'lakor-DevinTownsend-Orphandland-Doom:vs-Eluveitie-NovembersDoom-Epica-Apocalyptica-Haggard-Kamelot-Insomnium-LethianDreams-TheForeshadowing-AmonAmarth-CellarDarling-Moonspell-NeObliviscaris-RottingChrist-SepticFlesh-SwallowTheSun-Sabaton-Saturnus-Rammstein-OctoberTide-ISON-Triptykon-FleshgodApocalypse-Wolfheart
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Wow, thanks! well at this point I couldn't even imagine trying to sell one but at some point that would be great. Again, thanks very much! :mrgreen:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:33 am

You might even try to enter some art shows or something. I've been to several, and what I've seen from you is better than most of the stuff I've seen there. That would help get your name out, and work might come from that. Also, minor league sports teams are usually looking for a good photographer, but generally don't pay much. However, lots of good exposure for doing photos for program covers, etc.

However, if it was me, I'd probably just start a local metal website, and use that to get into shows for free, interview the bands, and get press passes to take high quality photos. :headbanger: