Post Reply 198 posts
Politics
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

Re: Politics

by Blumpkin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Usually when there's deregulation, the media makes a very big deal about it, even if repealed regulations are minor or not that great in number. However, there are usually plenty of new regulations to replace them. For example, the Glass-Steagall Act was repealed several years prior to the housing crash, and some people made a big deal out of it, claiming it lead to the housing bubble, but there were plenty of new regulations that had to do with banking that took its place. The point is, deregulation is usually hyped up and often made to look like an act of allowing evil to unfold, but there's little attention given to the actual total amount or net additions of regulations. Do we really need lemonade stands to have a fire extinguisher?
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am

While very interesting to me, I'm considering summarizing and updating it, since it's dated, to provide some historical perspective and highlight some flaws. And also because those most needing its message are the least likely to read something that fucking long. It's not an easy read.

Ignorance in Politics
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Completely separate...

Does anyone else have a record of what they thought they knew, and look back every year, 5 years, 10 years, etc?

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Considering our success in the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty, the War on Terrorism, etc., maybe we should start a War on Education.

Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:37 am

This is rehashing an old subject, but I watched some piece that covered in part the soda ban in New York. It's on food policing in general, but part of it does cover that particular aspect. The part about government food banning is covered in the first part of the segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wa0-NZmxA
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Unrelated to above...

Correlation does not imply causation.

EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:47 pm

Facts should change opinions.

Sadly, this is rarely the case.

Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:18 am

EvilDan wrote:Considering our success in the War on Drugs, the War on Poverty, the War on Terrorism, etc., maybe we should start a War on Education.

I think America is winning the war on education, we've destroyed our education system so we can create mindless drones to do easy jobs for giant corporations. MURRICAH!!!!
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:56 am

I wish more people shared my addiction to learning. (Neuroimaging studies suggest that new knowledge can bring the same surge of dopamine one might get by ingesting crack cocaine. Explains a lot.)

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:12 pm

9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Stained Class wrote:http://www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-entry/its-time-move-olympics
    Thoughts?

My initial thought was that if Olympics could happen in Nazi Germany, surely they could happen in Hmophobic Russia. Then I read about the threat to arrest athletes... So, yeah, I support the idea of moving away the Olympics unless athlete's safety is assured.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:55 am

Russia has already said that it will suspend the law during the Olympics, so no athletes are at risk. It won't and can't be moved, and to suggest it is silly. You'd have to cancel the Olympics. Ain't gonna happen.

It seems to me that having the Olympics there at this time is shining a big glaring spotlight on the issue, giving it far more attention than it would otherwise get. How that attention is used, however, remains to be seen.

I also find it interesting that potus said, in reference to Russia's "propaganda law", he had no patience for "discrimination against gay people", yet while in Africa, where it's actually illegal to be gay, he told leaders that we had to "respect their laws".

EDIT: Actually, there are numerous conflicting reports on whether the law will be enforced, most quoting people (sports ministers, etc.) with no power to enforce the law, with the "will be enforced" crowd getting far more international attention and response, making it more difficult to find the "will not be enforced" reports.

Although, being gay is illegal in over 76 of the participating countries, I just don't see the law being enforced during the Olympics against foreign athletes. Additionally, I don't recall any arrests in any previous Olympics in countries where being gay was illegal. Every host country tends to suspend quite a few laws during large international events like this.

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 am

Yeah, I had only read that they WILL be enforcing the law.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Initially, it may sound silly, but I think that "magic" should be a required course.

People would be far more analytical, instead of always accepting what they are told at face value.

Heaven forbid we take the "fun" away.

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:37 pm

EvilDan wrote:Initially, it may sound silly, but I think that "magic" should be a required course.

People would be far more analytical, instead of always accepting what they are told at face value.

Heaven forbid we take the "fun" away.

Are you advocating for a publicly enforced curriculum? :shock:

(just kidding! :P )

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 pm

X-Thor wrote:Are you advocating for a publicly enforced curriculum? :shock:

Ha ha! Good point. How about "recommended", and then we'll see how it works out? :twisted:

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Are you advocating for a publicly enforced curriculum? :shock:

Ha ha! Good point. How about "recommended", and then we'll see how it works out? :twisted:

My guess is that it'd work out where people agree that critical thinking should be encouraged and rejected elsewhere, thereby creating a huge selection bias.

Disclaimer: I do support a (partially) publicly enforced curriculum, but we know we don't see eye to eye in many political theory issues.

--
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:43 am

An interesting question...

How do people here inform themselves?

I don't mean in an abstract way. I mean what resources do people use?

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:12 am

On sciency issues (natural and social), I try to go to academic (peer-reviewed) publications or books edited by academic editorials. Also, there are some fb pages that post sciency news (mostly natural) or my academic friends refer me to interesting articles in science-oriented (natural and social) websites.

As for daily politics issues, there are many outlets, I guess. Mexican news portal Animal Político is a personal favorite, but I'm not above reading "mainstream media". On US issues, I mostly read NY Times, Washington Post and the occassional magazine.

I've also found Jon Stewart's Daily Show to be an actually good information source.

In general, I've found that my social networks friends tend to share good articles on both sides of the issues, so that's my main source, I guess.

Oh, and Cracked.com :lol:

--
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:05 pm

X-Thor wrote:I've also found Jon Stewart's Daily Show to be an actually good information source.

Oh, sweet fucking christ, tell me you are joking. :roll: I've heard this numerous times, and it's just a fucking ridiculous claim.

I mean, it's cool if you just want to drink the fucking kool-aid, but it's not a reliable resource. It's a fucking comedy show. No substance.

There is the rare individual that will be intellectually stimulated by some ridiculous claim or joke, but compared to the percentage of the people that think it's a "good information source"?

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm

EvilDan wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:I've also found Jon Stewart's Daily Show to be an actually good information source.

Oh, sweet fucking christ, tell me you are joking. :roll: I've heard this numerous times, and it's just a fucking ridiculous claim.

I mean, it's cool if you just want to drink the fucking kool-aid, but it's not a reliable resource. It's a fucking comedy show. No substance.

There is the rare individual that will be intellectually stimulated by some ridiculous claim or joke, but compared to the percentage of the people that think it's a "good information source"?

It's far better than any other news source on TV (EDIT: and most on radio, I guess), I think... And more balanced. Even though he's almost as liberal as they come (in the US).
    Last edited by X-Thor on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Myself, I listen to Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly. Mostly talk radio.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:09 am

X-Thor, Let me first say Thank You for engaging me. :beerbang:

X-Thor wrote:It's far better than any other news source on TV (EDIT: and most on radio, I guess), I think...

That is a sad statement. :cry:

X-Thor wrote:And more balanced.

:lol: Riiiiiight. Balanced. :lol:

I apologize. I don't want to rip into people. I shouldn't have asked. Or better yet, I shouldn't have responded.
    (Quietly, turns and exits the room.)

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:04 am

EvilDan wrote:X-Thor, Let me first say Thank You for engaging me. :beerbang:

X-Thor wrote:It's far better than any other news source on TV (EDIT: and most on radio, I guess), I think...

I apologize. I don't want to rip into people. I shouldn't have asked. Or better yet, I shouldn't have responded.

It's ok. My point is that The Daily Show is a comedy show. But it's certainly more balanced than your average Fox News show, not to mention O'Riley, Hannity and such. Which is kind of sad, I guess.

By the way, Al Jazeera has some excellent pieces around. Have you checked it out?

--
    Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:30 pm

I remember a while ago I posted about my absolute disgust and contempt for Mayor Bloomberg (NY) for all his horrible fascist policies. Here's a nice, two-minute video that sums it up for those who either don't know what I'm talking about or thought I was being unreasonable and employing hyperbole. I would say have a good laugh, but everything in here is factual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDranKZROs
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am

That is a sad BUT TRUE statement. :cry:

FixD

Honestly, anyone who can't tell that the Daily Show and Colbert are News and Opinion programs disguises as satirical comedy simply need to watch them more. No, they're not very 'balanced' as they are completely aligned in opposition to twits like O'Reilly and Limbaugh. Thank the Gods haha

Now, as far as being news 'sources' are concerned... The spectrum of content delivered by Stewart and Colbert is quite narrow and focus predominantly on U.S. social/political matters. One could certainly learn a helluva lot more about what's going on in the world from any number of international sources.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:11 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:

That is a sad BUT TRUE statement. :cry:

FixD

Honestly, anyone who can't tell that the Daily Show and Colbert are News and Opinion programs disguises as satirical comedy simply need to watch them more. No, they're not very 'balanced' as they are completely aligned in opposition to twits like O'Reilly and Limbaugh. Thank the Gods haha

Now, as far as being news 'sources' are concerned... The spectrum of content delivered by Stewart and Colbert is quite narrow and focus predominantly on U.S. social/political matters. One could certainly learn a helluva lot more about what's going on in the world from any number of international sources.

Unless you're not 'Murrican, in which case you get your international news elsewhere. :P

--
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:23 pm

I've always found BBC World news to be quite...global!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:42 pm

I get all my news from the Economist. Like BBC, they're not from the US, which I feel makes them less invested in the politics happening around here. Of course, they still have their opinions, but they really seem to go out of their way to present both sides to a story. Many of their articles seems to follow a "statement", "however", "statement" formula. I respect that.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm

sageoftruth wrote:I get all my news from the Economist. Like BBC, they're not from the US, which I feel makes them less invested in the politics happening around here. Of course, they still have their opinions, but they really seem to go out of their way to present both sides to a story. Many of their articles seems to follow a "statement", "however", "statement" formula. I respect that.

At the very least, they make it clear when they are stating an editorial opinion (editorializing?).

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:00 am

I have to agree with EvilDan on this one. I love watching the show, and it's great for pointing out the absurdities of other news media, but that's as far as I go in referring to them for reliable news. Back in college, Daily Show and Colbert Rebort were my sole sources of news, and it kills me to recall what I was like back then politically. I'd sooner turn a blind eye to politics entirely than go back to being like that.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:41 am

sageoftruth wrote:

I have to agree with EvilDan on this one. I love watching the show, and it's great for pointing out the absurdities of other news media, but that's as far as I go in referring to them for reliable news. Back in college, Daily Show and Colbert Rebort were my sole sources of news, and it kills me to recall what I was like back then politically. I'd sooner turn a blind eye to politics entirely than go back to being like that.

No, no, they are not balanced at all (though I tend to agree with their opinions*). That was my point... Uhm, FOX news, CNN, or most other "big" news sources are as balanced as Colbert or Stewart... But that doesn't mean the two of them should be the only source of news... Or a source at all.

*Or I did, back when I watched them.

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 am

X-Thor wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

No, no, they are not balanced at all (though I tend to agree with their opinions*). That was my point... Uhm, FOX news, CNN, or most other "big" news sources are as balanced as Colbert or Stewart... But that doesn't mean the two of them should be the only source of news... Or a source at all.

*Or I did, back when I watched them.

Definitely. I'd be perfectly satisfied if all those programs, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, etc. just up and disappeared. Of course, that would leave us without material for John Stewart to make fun of, but I hardly watch any TV anyway.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 am

Oh, a good source of international news is Al Jazeera, I think.

Also, for anyone interested, there's a website called Justice in Conflict. It's a collective blog about international conflicts and justice (as you might have guessed from the title). The opinions there are interesting and very well argued. I found out about it a few months ago and I always read any new entry.

--
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:17 am

I KNEW I shouldn't have looked at this forum for the first time in months "out of curiosity".

If you think you are being informed by the daily show, you aren't. If you think you are being informed by watching cnn, msnbc, and/or any network, or really any tv, you aren't. (The psychopaths at salon are even worse.) If you are only looking at "news" sources that you like or agree with and aren't also looking at "news" sources that you disagree with, you are not informed.

There is no objective news anymore. Look at the language they use. Every media outlet is invested in portraying politics in a specific light. They twist, distort, distract, and ignore what doesn't agree with their agenda. At best, you get their opinion of what the subset of information they provide means.

Most people are too lazy to go to the actual sources and think for themselves. Most prefer to have it spoonfed to them in the manner most pleasing to them, more interested in what "feels" right, rather than facts.

Sorry for the intrusion. As you were.

X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:40 pm

EvilDan wrote:I KNEW I shouldn't have looked at this forum for the first time in months "out of curiosity".

If you think you are being informed by the daily show, you aren't. If you think you are being informed by watching cnn, msnbc, and/or any network, or really any tv, you aren't. (The psychopaths at salon are even worse.) If you are only looking at "news" sources that you like or agree with and aren't also looking at "news" sources that you disagree with, you are not informed.

There is no objective news anymore. Look at the language they use. Every media outlet is invested in portraying politics in a specific light. They twist, distort, distract, and ignore what doesn't agree with their agenda. At best, you get their opinion of what the subset of information they provide means.

Most people are too lazy to go to the actual sources and think for themselves. Most prefer to have it spoonfed to them in the manner most pleasing to them, more interested in what "feels" right, rather than facts.

Sorry for the intrusion. As you were.

I'm bleeding from all the edge in this post.

:P

--
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:50 am

EvilDan wrote:If you think you are being informed by the daily show, you aren't. If you think you are being informed by watching cnn, msnbc, and/or any network, or really any tv, you aren't. (The psychopaths at salon are even worse.) If you are only looking at "news" sources that you like or agree with and aren't also looking at "news" sources that you disagree with, you are not informed.

Has there ever been any objective news? Sure, if you read ALL news on any subject, you should have all parts of the story, but, let's face it, that's impossible to do, and even if one managed to do it, they'd still choose some sources over the others. So saying things like people are lazy is pointless. No, they're not lazy, they just choose to read news that support their own idea of how things work and how the society is run.

I try to read news from several sources, but have learned that some sources are usually "wrong" about politics or anything. They could still be right on some occasions, but it really is hard to give them a second try when 95% or more of their news is heavily biased.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

C'mon Dan. Join the rest of us sheep around the kool-aid water cooler and tell us how ya really feel ;)
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
Post Reply 198 posts