Post Reply 194 posts
TV series
    viathyn
    Commander

TV series

by viathyn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:09 pm

Hey guys. I figure there was probably another thread at some point about this, but... here's another!

So I've been moving away from watching movies as of late in lieu of watching TV series, because I like seeing a plot lines develop over a longer format... it gives events more gravity in my opinion.

Anyways, please share some good series to watch.

Things I've seen in their entirety:
    Game of Thrones (Longtime lover of the books. The writing, cinematography, costumes, drama, and tits make it the best show currently on TV)
    The Wire (Best 'realistic' show I've seen. Incredible depth and writing. Season 4 stands out as best season of any TV show)
    Breaking Bad (To the point, engaging, and intense. I'm awaiting season 5.5 with baited breath!)
    Deadwood (Lost a bit of momentum for me in season 3, but great huge cast and the filthyest language I've ever heard)
    Sherlock (Great modern take on Sir A.C.D's work. Season 2 episodes 1 and 3 are mind-numbingly brilliant)
    Firefly (Fun, silly, unique setting. Haven't seen Serenity yet)
    Boardwalk Empire (Wonderful costumes and period accuracy.. seasons go a little long though)
    Vikings (Very promising first season! Metal as FUCK)

Up next for me:
    Rome
    Finishing the new Arrested Development season

Tell me what is good! I've got the following shows in purgatory and am still deciding about whether or not to get into them:
    Walking Dead, Mad Men, Dexter, Sopranos, Six feet Under, Oz, Doctor Who, Cowboy Bebop.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Stained Class
    Commander

Re: TV series

by Stained Class » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Only shows you didn't mention that I'm huge into are comedies.
    Community
    Archer

Walking Dead is alright. It's worth watching but it's not the BEST show on TV. First season was far superior to anything since.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:06 pm

DUDE - see SERENITY. Must watch.
    DR WHO - loved the show for 30+ years. Hard one to 'just get into' though.

THE RETURNED (A.K.A. Les Revanants) - French zombie show, but NOTHING LIKE Walking Dead. Brilliantly filmed, AWESOME intro, AMAZING music (from Mogwai). Probably my favourite new show this year.

NEW GIRL - bit hit and miss, but some episodes are comedy gold. And Zoe Deschanel is adorable.

CONTINUUM - kind of 'terminatorish' (person from future comes back in time to fight the bad guys). Good tech, good story, and Rachel Nichols :)

WAREHOUSE 13 - secret storehouse of magical artifacts basically. Great cast, and some genuinely clever storylines.

ELEMENTARY - American version of Sherlock. Nowhere near as good, but better than a lot of the dross on TV. And, Lucy Lui :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm

I should mention I haven't included a few comedy shows or cartoons, maybe because the storylines are pretty much self-contained in episodes. Ie; Parks and Recreation (really nice comedy).

Archer, adventure time, etc are awesome cartoons.

I haven't been able to get into community. I keep comparing it to parks and rec (similar delivery), but I don't find the characters as interesting.

Dallas, I haven't even heard of The Returned, Continuum, Warehouse 13, or Elementary. I will investigate.

I edited it into my main post, but Vikings is heavily recommended! Most metal show on TV!

Please check out my band

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:20 pm

Oh yes - VIKINGS is cool too :)

Seriously check out THE RETURNED.

And true story most people here probably don't know - my wife and I met thanks to SERENITY.

We were both members of the official Australian "Serenity" movie's forum, met at a 'browncoat shindig' and the rest is history :)

EUREKA is another great show (which is unfortunately over now, lasted five seasons). Basically about a secret American town full of geniuses. Very cool, and did a few crossover episodes with WAREHOUSE 13.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm

viathyn wrote:
    I haven't been able to get into community. I keep comparing it to parks and rec (similar delivery), but I don't find the characters as interesting.

You've said that before, but are you sure you haven't only seen the one episode where they parody The Office? Cus I watched Parks and Rec and I didn't see the similarities except for the couple times that Community did that kinda thing.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 pm

I meant more like similarities in humor. I will check out some more!

Please check out my band

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:43 pm

We canceled our cable a while ago so I'm a bit behind on TV. I have to rely on what's available for online streaming or whatever comes up in my Netflix DVD queue (trying to decide between Rome and The Wire for my next DVD series - leaning towards The Wire for now).

24 - Sure, it's formulaic but there are few things more exciting to watch than a Jack Bauer interrogation.

Band of Brothers - Excellent World War II miniseries. The Pacific, written by some of the same writers is on my list to watch.

Breaking Bad - Only on season 2 and enjoying it. For some reason, though, I never find myself in the mood to actually watch it. Not sure why since I do like the show.

Once upon a Time - Just started watching this. Decent so far. A bit too green screeny in some scenes and not the most airtight story/plot (at this point) but it is a fun watch. Really interesting to see all the Disney and fairy tale characters in a different setting.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - Chinese series from the 90s based on the novel of the same name. Dated with overacting and horrible subtitles but a very good watch despite all that. The entire series is up on YouTube as is the remake from 2010. I'll watch the remake when I finish the original.

Weeds - First three seasons are absolutely hilarious. Goes downhill after that especially when it stops being a comedy but the first three seasons are highly recommended.

I stopped watching The Walking Dead halfway through season 2 though am planning to give it another go at some point. I enjoyed reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter so I should probably watch the show at some point.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:56 pm

Once Upon a Time is a fun show - I adore Jennifer Morrison, and Robert Carlyle is a phenomenal actor.

Looking forward to the spin off "Once upon a time through the looking glass" which will air in a few months.

Couple of others:

GRIMM - some of the storylines are a bit naff, but by and large an entertaining 'monster of the week' type show. And the actor who plays Munroe is great.

LEGEND OF THE SEEKER - based on a series of novels, unfortunately only lasted two seasons. Very much a 'light and fluffy' fantasy show - polar opposite to Game of Thrones.

LOST GIRL - another monstery type show. Hot cast, lame intro, some annoying characters, but enjoyable.

SUPERNATURAL - really should have wrapped up 2-3 seasons ago, but characters like Castiel keep things watchable.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Once Upon a Time is a fun show - I adore Jennifer Morrison, and Robert Carlyle is a phenomenal actor.

He does an excellent job on that show. Definitely my favorite. We're not too far in but did manage to watch about 5 episodes over the weekend :lol:
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:07 pm

viathyn wrote:I meant more like similarities in humor. I will check out some more!

Oh ok. Yeah I only say that cus a friend of mine only saw that one episode and said "it's too much like The Office" so I had to explain to her that that was only one episode.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:11 pm

viathyn wrote:Hey guys. I figure there was probably another thread at some point about this, but... here's another!

So I've been moving away from watching movies as of late in lieu of watching TV series, because I like seeing a plot lines develop over a longer format... it gives events more gravity in my opinion.

Game of Thrones (Longtime lover of the books. The writing, cinematography, costumes, drama, and tits make it the best show currently on TV)
    The Wire (Best 'realistic' show I've seen. Incredible depth and writing. Season 4 stands out as best season of any TV show)
    Breaking Bad (To the point, engaging, and intense. I'm awaiting season 5.5 with baited breath!)
    Deadwood (Lost a bit of momentum for me in season 3, but great huge cast and the filthyest language I've ever heard)
    Sherlock (Great modern take on Sir A.C.D's work. Season 2 episodes 1 and 3 are mind-numbingly brilliant)
    Boardwalk Empire (Wonderful costumes and period accuracy.. seasons go a little long though)

Up next for me:
    Rome

Tell me what is good! I've got the following shows in purgatory and am still deciding about whether or not to get into them:
    Walking Dead, Mad Men, Dexter, Sopranos, Six feet Under, Oz, Doctor Who, Cowboy Bebop.

Serenity is AWESOME - ties everything together. I'm sad there isn't more of that show, I loved it (Firefly that is)

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:23 pm

I totally agree on GoT and The Wire. Probably my two favorite TV dramas... Well, that and Doctor Who (I've only seen the "new" Doctor, though). Firefly and Doctor Who get me in a good mood every time I watch them. And Sherlock is just brilliant (and co-produced/co-written by the current Doctor Who Executive Producer, Steven Moffat).

Spartacus is a really good series too. Not as deep or well written as the ones you mentioned, but it has so much blood and tits it makes game of Thrones look like a Saturday Morning cartoon. It's an entertaining one and it lasts only three seasons, so the story doesn't feel too dragged out...

Community is hilarious. And the Doctor Who parody is just amazing...
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Stained Class wrote:
    viathyn wrote:I meant more like similarities in humor. I will check out some more!

Oh ok. Yeah I only say that cus a friend of mine only saw that one episode and said "it's too much like The Office" so I had to explain to her that that was only one episode.

Did you see the celebrity-deathmatch-like animation one? It was awesome. :lol: :lol:

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Wow, great thread and so much awesome viewing listed already. Lots I've heard of and want to see and lots that sounds like I need to expand my list.

The only thing that immediately comes to mind that no one else mentioned is The Riches. Gets cut short after 2 seasons as FX dropped the ball but there's a fairly loud fan base still clamouring for it to get picked up and completed. Simply brilliant story/writing and acting. A must despite the brevity.

Yes Jacob, watch Dexter, Oz and Sopranos. None will disappoint. Dr. Who is amazing too but in a different way. An episode or 2 should tell ya if it's for you or not. Then again, I'm wondering which Dr. Who you're talking about as there've been quite a few over the decades I think. Six Feet Under was decent. Walking Dead fell a bit flat for me in season 2 but I'm soldiering on as friends and family have assured me it pays off later. Mad Men and the Cowboy Beebop I have not seen.

Oh, one more that wasn't mentioned that has a great first season and is watch-worthy after that (although I'm a couple seasons behind) is Sons of Anarchy.

:cheers:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Speaking of series that get cut off too quickly...

Anyone remember Jericho? The first season was great. Got cancelled after that. Then they agreed to do a second season and it SUCKED. Still, the first season is pretty cool.

--
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:53 pm

Shows I watch, some with continued story lines, some just episode by episode... all enjoyed (plus some canceled shows I love)
    Futurama, South Park, Venture Bros, Archer
    It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, Eastbound & Down, Eureka, Todd & The Book Of Pure Evil
    Dexter, Walking Dead, Jericho, The 4400, Lexx
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:53 pm

RuPaul's drag race. Just think of Top Model for drag queens. Golden :cool:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:14 am

A few more:

CASTLE - started watching it because Captain Mal is in it (Nathan Fillion). But a worthwhile 'crime procedural' with a difference. And they casually slip in some Firefly/Serenity references from time to time :)

ARROW - based on the comic book superhero, but fairly 'gritty'. Season 1 was very enjoyable.

HAVEN - based on a Stephen King book. About a town and its inhabitants that are 'troubled'. Again one of those shows with one character/actor ("Duke") in particular that is so well portrayed and acted they make it worth watching.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 am

The best TV series I've seen in a long while is the Swedish ÄKTA MÄNNISKOR (English title: REAL HUMANS). It's a scifi show set in modern day Sweden in a parallel universe where people have life-like androids (hubots). Of course the hubots start having human feelings and want to have civil rights.
    The Finnish public broadcast company Yle's Swedish channel (Yle Fem) aired it almost immediately after its original airing in Sweden. It is out on DVD, but I think the one I have only has Finnish, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian subtitles. According to Wikipedia it aired in Australia too.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 am

Memnoch wrote:The best TV series I've seen in a long while is the Swedish ÄKTA MÄNNISKOR (English title: REAL HUMANS). It's a scifi show set in modern day Sweden in a parallel universe where people have life-like androids (hubots). Of course the hubots start having human feelings and want to have civil rights.
    The Finnish public broadcast company Yle's Swedish channel (Yle Fem) aired it almost immediately after its original airing in Sweden. It is out on DVD, but I think the one I have only has Finnish, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian subtitles. According to Wikipedia it aired in Australia too.

WOW - really like the sound of that!!!

Will definitely be checking it out :) Thanks!! :beerwink:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:17 am

They are filming season two for the show and it should air some time this year. Can't wait! I might have to watch the first season for the third time before that. :beerwink:
    Wishlist:
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:05 am

Memnoch wrote:The best TV series I've seen in a long while is the Swedish ÄKTA MÄNNISKOR (English title: REAL HUMANS). It's a scifi show set in modern day Sweden in a parallel universe where people have life-like androids (hubots). Of course the hubots start having human feelings and want to have civil rights.

That sounds awesome! I'll search for it.

--
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:14 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

Did you see the celebrity-deathmatch-like animation one? It was awesome. :lol: :lol:

Not sure what you mean. You mean the christmas episode?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign

by CaptOblivious » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:43 am

viathyn wrote:Hey guys. I figure there was probably another thread at some point about this, but... here's another!

Up next for me:
    Rome

Jake i think out of your unwatched shows list i would most highly recommend Walking Dead, Dexter, Doctor Who and Cowboy Bebop but i would also add Sons of Anarchy to that list as well. oh and Warehouse 13 is awesome and quirky and just plain fun most of the time.
    as for me i am in the middle of Doctor Who chewing through a 13 episode season every 3 days tops after that series is done in a little over 2 weeks i am gonna be out of stuff to watch so i am thinking the Sopranos.
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 am

Stained Class wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Oh ok. Yeah I only say that cus a friend of mine only saw that one episode and said "it's too much like The Office" so I had to explain to her that that was only one episode.

Not sure what you mean. You mean the christmas episode?

Yes! The stop-motion animation there is just like the one used in Celebrity Deathmatch, so I just call it that... Probably not a very good idea, though. :oops:

--
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:39 am

X-Thor wrote:Yes! The stop-motion animation there is just like the one used in Celebrity Deathmatch, so I just call it that... Probably not a very good idea, though. :oops:

Yeah that was hilarious! I don't know what celebrity deathmatch is though :oops:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 am

Stained Class wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:Yes! The stop-motion animation there is just like the one used in Celebrity Deathmatch, so I just call it that... Probably not a very good idea, though. :oops:

Yeah that was hilarious! I don't know what celebrity deathmatch is though :oops:

Claymation fighting show that MTV did around the turn of the century. I think it debuted at halftime of the Super Bowl one year and turned into a full series after that. Fun times.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=celebrity+deathmatch
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 am

Stained Class wrote:

Next you're gonna say you don't remember Singled Out or Remote Control or Lil' Rosie or Welcome Back Cotter...
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:11 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:

Claymation fighting show that MTV did around the turn of the century. I think it debuted at halftime of the Super Bowl one year and turned into a full series after that. Fun times.

Well I know what I'm doing with this Lunch hour!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 am

Dexter is one of my favorites at the moment. I don't know anyone who wouldn't recommend that show. I also started watching Fringe recently, it's not bad but a little formulaic.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:57 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Yeah that was hilarious! I don't know what celebrity deathmatch is though :oops:

It was like the only MTV show with subtitles and original English audio in Mexican MTV. Awesome show.

--
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:30 am

Aah, I just remembered an awesome British TV show, Misfits. Kinda like Heroes or other superhero series where people start having some superpowers. Only the main characters aren't any heroes, but some young losers in community service. I every episode they end up, usually accidentally, killing someone. Hilarious show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1548850/
    Wishlist:
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:12 am

some of the TV series I watch are on the history channel. I love all the ones out there about the universe, or even the planet earth series.
    Also another fav in that category is Ancient Aliens. They are just all so interesting!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:39 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:some of the TV series I watch are on the history channel. I love all the ones out there about the universe, or even the planet earth series.
    Also another fav in that category is Ancient Aliens. They are just all so interesting!

The history channel used to be great when it showed programs about history, now it's just crap! That's just my opinion though, I prefer watching the Science Channel over the History Channel.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Vikings is on the History channel, and it's the most metal show on TV.

(It's a historical drama by the way, ie inspired by allegedly true events)

Please check out my band

DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:52 pm

I think I failed to mention Angry Beavers as one of my favorite old series...

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:02 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:I think I failed to mention Angry Beavers as one of my favorite old series...

That shows on Nick Reboot sometimes. That website = My childhood
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:48 pm

viathyn wrote:Tell me what is good! I've got the following shows in purgatory and am still deciding about whether or not to get into them:

Six Feet Under!
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:59 pm

I'm rarely watching movies anymore - but you can tell by my long list that I watch quite a lot tv series ;)

-Game of Thrones (even though they only get 98/100 for the execution - this is some of the best tv has ever seen! can't wait for S4)
    -Breaking Bad (I especially loved the first three seasons - and now I envy you guys who get to see the new episode tonight)
    -Nashville (this one came unexpectedly - but S1 was +/- flawless)
    -Californication (OMG, just watched the Season with Tim Minchin - probably the best season so far)
    -Episodes (love the British Humor)
    -New Girl (started BIG - and now its just something entertaining to watch)
    -How I Met Your Mother (nowadays, I watch it because it has to be watches - not such a big fan anymore)
    -Big Bang Theory (never been a fan, but I'm watching it nonetheless)
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
Post Reply 194 posts