Post Reply 52 posts
All things Star Wars
  • User avatar
    Speedy
    Ensign
    Posts: 1396
    Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 am
    Location: Trondheim, Norway

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by Speedy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:23 am

    The local SciFi/Fantasy/RPG store is really testing my willpower by having a 124cm long LEGO model of the Executor super star destroyer for sale.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

    International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • User avatar
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman
    Posts: 940
    Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm
    Location: Portland, OR U.S.A.

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:11 am

    Just cracked Star Wars: KOTOR open about five days ago and almost logged in 20 hours on this awesome concept of a game. Never played it before, but I am amazed at how much about the massive Star Wars universe this game got down right. Definitely ahead of its time although the graphics are about outdated by the standards of today. I certainly plan to finish this one to its bitter end. Having a blast so far, especially since I'm Kshyyk. Good stuff.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • User avatar
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Posts: 1772
    Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 12:58 am
    Location: San Diego, California

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by Goddess of Metal » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm

    Image
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

    2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3


    Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
  • User avatar
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman
    Posts: 940
    Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm
    Location: Portland, OR U.S.A.

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 pm

    Goddess of Metal wrote:Image



    :lol: all true :lol:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by sageoftruth » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:52 am

    I just saw this super interesting analysis of the Star Wars franchise. Forgive me if this is actually common knowledge. I only saw the movies. They said that basically, Star Wars (all six of them) is one big "Screw destiny" movie. Lots of movies cling to that tired, "You are the chosen one and it is your destiny to be this movie's hero" idea. In episodes 1-3 all the Jedi were this way about Anakin and it led to a wholesale slaughter of thousands of people and created Darth Vader.

    Meanwhile, Luke, in Empire Strikes Back turned against destiny and went to save his friends, rather than staying with Yoda to complete his training. In the end, instead of fulfilling his destiny and destroying Vader, he did the unthinkable and SAVED him.

    Some later comments in the comments section also interestingly pointed out that Anakin actually did fulfill his destiny, just not in the way everyone imagined. After all, he fathered Luke and Leia, and then in Return of the Jedi, he was the one who actually killed Emperor Palpatine. They just didn't foresee the whole killing everyone, becoming Vader, and destroying entire planets part.

    Real interesting stuff. What do you guys think?
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by Stained Class » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:21 am

    Interesting thoughts, however I think the fact that Vader in the end destroying Palpatine is more proving that you can't escape your destiny than the thought that you choose your own. How you arrive at that point isn't always clear but in the end both Luke and Vader did what they were told they were supposed to do.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by sageoftruth » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:34 am

    Stained Class wrote:Interesting thoughts, however I think the fact that Vader in the end destroying Palpatine is more proving that you can't escape your destiny than the thought that you choose your own. How you arrive at that point isn't always clear but in the end both Luke and Vader did what they were told they were supposed to do.


    True. It's kind of like those Greek tragedies, like the tale of Oedipus. I like how the Jedis all thought they could be the harbingers of fate and ended up bringing about the destruction of entire planets. If not for all of its flaws, episodes 1-3 could have really been something special.
  • User avatar
    Stained Class
    Commander
    Posts: 9589
    Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am
    Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by Stained Class » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:38 am

    sageoftruth wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Interesting thoughts, however I think the fact that Vader in the end destroying Palpatine is more proving that you can't escape your destiny than the thought that you choose your own. How you arrive at that point isn't always clear but in the end both Luke and Vader did what they were told they were supposed to do.


    True. It's kind of like those Greek tragedies, like the tale of Oedipus. I like how the Jedis all thought they could be the harbingers of fate and ended up bringing about the destruction of entire planets. If not for all of its flaws, episodes 1-3 could have really been something special.

    Not sure if you've seen these but they're worth a watch! You're right, they really could have been great.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbug3AhYmw

    Edit: Just watched those both again and I think it would be really cool if this guy did a short series of animated films using his variations of the plots. Once he does part 3 anyways.
    Last edited by Stained Class on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    9 time cruiser

    I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

    I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • User avatar
    mooyagi
    Captain
    Posts: 21180
    Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ, USA

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by mooyagi » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:59 am

    Nothing beats the Plinkett reviews of Episodes I-III. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant
    Posts: 2021
    Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm
    Location: Boston, MA

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by sageoftruth » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:44 am

    Stained Class wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:
    Stained Class wrote:Interesting thoughts, however I think the fact that Vader in the end destroying Palpatine is more proving that you can't escape your destiny than the thought that you choose your own. How you arrive at that point isn't always clear but in the end both Luke and Vader did what they were told they were supposed to do.


    True. It's kind of like those Greek tragedies, like the tale of Oedipus. I like how the Jedis all thought they could be the harbingers of fate and ended up bringing about the destruction of entire planets. If not for all of its flaws, episodes 1-3 could have really been something special.

    Not sure if you've seen these but they're worth a watch! You're right, they really could have been great.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbug3AhYmw

    Edit: Just watched those both again and I think it would be really cool if this guy did a short series of animated films using his variations of the plots. Once he does part 3 anyways.


    Wow! Good stuff.
  • User avatar
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 pm
    Location: Hellgary, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by Kingslayer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 am

    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    Wicker Man wrote:I am a star wars fan too, but never got into the book part, maybe it was too nerdy for me, but because of you guys I want to read them now... Only problem is that there is already so many book in my list :S

    On the other hand, anybody have this gem :
    Image


    Saw this at the bookstore a few months ago. What is this; is it any good or at least entertaining?

    Got all three of them for my birthday for my birthday back in August. Needlees to say, my parents know me
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

    Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
  • User avatar
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 pm
    Location: Hellgary, Canada
    Contact:

    Re: All things Star Wars

    by Kingslayer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 am

    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

    Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests