Post Reply 52 posts
All things Star Wars
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

All things Star Wars

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 am

I've looked through all 25 pages to see if there was a topic dedicated to the most popular entertainment franchise of all time and to my surprise I found none. I could have easily posted this in the "books you are reading thread," but the Star Wars name is so huge that you can't just keep it nailed to one topic. One just can't talk about the books without mentioning the movies (old or new) or even which Star Wars video games they've played over the last 20 years.

Currently a friend came over to my place and dropped off 8 books from various parts of the series thus I picked one up (The Classic ando Calrissian trilogy written in 1983). It wasn't that good, but it was still enough for me to pick up the first book of the Han Solo trilogy which was wrtitten in 1997 and was completely and utterly amazing. The nine year old kid in me was crying out for joy and I went out and bought about $50 worth of Star Wars books. Anyone who wants to talk about them or anything Star Wars feel free to do it here. Surprised this wasn't already a topic because there are alot of shameless nerds on here. :mrgreen:
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Stained Class
    Commander

Re: All things Star Wars

by Stained Class » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah I love star wars haha I really hope they don't fuck up 7. Probably the most significant franchise in my childhood. I was actually thinking I'd read either the Thrawn trilogy or the New Jedi Order series when I'm done game of thrones. What are your favourite books that you've read? There's a lot of them.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:32 pm

The Darth Bane trilogy is my absolute favorite among the books I've read so far. I've also read The New Jedi Order series, The Dark Nest trilogy, Death Troopers, Red Harvest, The Old Republic: Deceived and The Old Republic: Revan.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Stained Class wrote:Yeah I love star wars haha I really hope they don't fuck up 7. Probably the most significant franchise in my childhood. I was actually thinking I'd read either the Thrawn trilogy or the New Jedi Order series when I'm done game of thrones. What are your favourite books that you've read? There's a lot of them.

I'm fairly new to them. Right now I'm on the 2nd book of the Han Solo trilogy (the late 90s trilogy, since I'm not going to bother with the trilogy from 1978) which is insaney badass and takes place before Episode IV. I just bought the Thrawn trilogy, but I'm a long way from reading that. Before I can even think of picking up the trilogy I'm dedicated to reading the following I just recently picked up:

1. The Hutt Gambit (Han Solo trilogy book 2) - halfway through this one...it fucking rules!!
    2. Rebel Dawn (Han Solo trilogy book 3)
    3. Tales from the Bounty Hunters (Tales of all the individual Bounty Hunters from The Empire Strikes back)
    4. Tales from Jabba's Palace (Individual stories about what goes on in Jabba's Palace before Return of the Jedi)
    5. The Mandalorian Armor (book 1 of the Boba Fett Trilogy)
    6. Slave Ship (Book 2 of the Boba Fett trilogy)
    7. Hard Merchandise )Book 3 of the Boba Fett Trilogy)
    8. Truce at Bakura (read this one when I was 17...about 17 years ago. Its a direct sequel to Return of the Jedi and I remember loving it. It takes place like right after the credits roll and helps show the reader a hint on how huge this universe can be.
    9. The Courtship of Princess Leia
    10. X-Wing: Rouge Squadron
    11. X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble
    12. X-Wing: The Krytos Trap
    13. X-Wing: The Bacta War

As you can see, I have quite a bit of homework to do. :D
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Speedy wrote:The Darth Bane trilogy is my absolute favorite among the books I've read so far. I've also read The New Jedi Order series, The Dark Nest trilogy, Death Troopers, Red Harvest, The Old Republic: Deceived and The Old Republic: Revan.

Is it necessary to play the games to fully understand "The Old Republic" novels. Never read Darth Bane, does that take place long before episode I?
    Death Troopers looks cool, I think the idea of a horror novel in the Star Wars Universe is an interesting take on the franchise. Not sure what the Dark Nest trilogy or Red Harvest is. As Joey said, there's alot of these books, and I'm still trying to struggle with the timeline, that's why I'm starting with the Lando and Han Solo trilogy, its easy to understand when and where most of these events are taking place. I recommned the Han Solo trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn), but save your time and don't bother with the Lando Trilogy unless you're a die hard fan of the character. There's not much in those books you need to know.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:59 pm

So, predictions on the plot for episode 7? So far all we know is that Mark Hamill, Carey Fisher and Harrison Ford will reprise their roles and the Emperor will show up as a force spirit, but not in the same way as the Jedi do (he can actually interact with his environment and stuff).
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:14 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Is it necessary to play the games to fully understand "The Old Republic" novels.

I have not played the MMO, but have played the KOTOR I and II single player games. KOTOR I helps in understanding Revan.
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Never read Darth Bane, does that take place long before episode I?

Darth Bane is set about a millennium before the movies, and it describes the origin of the 'Rule of Two' of the Sith.
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Death Troopers looks cool, I think the idea of a horror novel in the Star Wars Universe is an interesting take on the franchise. Not sure what the Dark Nest trilogy or Red Harvest is.

Red Harvest is a prequel to Death Troopers, set far in the past. Dark Nest is set between the New Jedi Order and Legacy of The Force series.
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:As Joey said, there's alot of these books, and I'm still trying to struggle with the timeline, that's why I'm starting with the Lando and Han Solo trilogy, its easy to understand when and where most of these events are taking place. I recommned the Han Solo trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn), but save your time and don't bother with the Lando Trilogy unless you're a die hard fan of the character. There's not much in those books you need to know.

The timeline on Wookieepedia is quite helpful: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books
    Beware of spoiler in articles about the books though.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Speedy wrote:
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Is it necessary to play the games to fully understand "The Old Republic" novels.

I have not played the MMO, but have played the KOTOR I and II single player games. KOTOR I helps in understanding Revan.
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Never read Darth Bane, does that take place long before episode I?

Darth Bane is set about a millennium before the movies, and it describes the origin of the 'Rule of Two' of the Sith.
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Death Troopers looks cool, I think the idea of a horror novel in the Star Wars Universe is an interesting take on the franchise. Not sure what the Dark Nest trilogy or Red Harvest is.

Red Harvest is a prequel to Death Troopers, set far in the past. Dark Nest is set between the New Jedi Order and Legacy of The Force series.
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:As Joey said, there's alot of these books, and I'm still trying to struggle with the timeline, that's why I'm starting with the Lando and Han Solo trilogy, its easy to understand when and where most of these events are taking place. I recommned the Han Solo trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn), but save your time and don't bother with the Lando Trilogy unless you're a die hard fan of the character. There's not much in those books you need to know.

The timeline on Wookieepedia is quite helpful: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

Yeah, I've been studying the timeline on wiki for about a couple of weeks. Dude, that's a lot of history to digest. I might have to go back in the timeline a year or two. It's gonna take a year for me to get through all the books I have at the moment. I also have 15 Conan novels to go through. :death:
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Stained Class wrote:Image

So, predictions on the plot for episode 7? So far all we know is that Mark Hamill, Carey Fisher and Harrison Ford will reprise their roles and the Emperor will show up as a force spirit, but not in the same way as the Jedi do (he can actually interact with his environment and stuff).

Dude...those look awesome, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up for them, but I must say that I think that J.J. Abrahms cares more about the franchise than George Lucas did. Lucas wouldn't even read any of the stories and considers only his movies as official Star Wars cannon, which I think is horseshit because some of these stories have much effort put into them.

BTW, I love Emperor Papatine and am happy that his role is not yet over. There is a huge misconception that Return of the Jedi is the finale of the story which couldn't be farther from the truth. The Empire is huge and we've only seen a fraction of it killed off in Jedi. There's a lot of shit going on in that universe and the fact that there's a ton of books is testament to that.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:44 pm

I couldn't help but get my hopes up. I think it'll definitely be better than the prequel trilogy. Almost definitely won't live up to the classic trilogy, but I think it'll be good.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:46 am

I think the people now holding the franchise care more about it than George Lucas has in the last 20 years. I must say, I didn't think Episodes I, II, and III were nearly as bad as everyone whines about. I found something to like in all of them, but at the same time I never expected them to be as good as the first trilogy. The way I always saw it is that with the original trilogy the story was told and Lucas finished what he set out to do. I looked at Episodes I, II, and III as bonus movies. I do agree that these newer ones should be better than the prequels and I will never hold my breath expecting anything to be as good as Return of the Jedi. Most people just have to many memories attached to the original trilogy to ever have anything be better than it.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am

Yeah I agree with everything there. I liked the prequel trilogy a lot more when they came out because of the excitement of new movies, but then again I was 9 when episode 1 came out :lol:

So do you think that's Luke in the poster? I'm not sure who else it could be, or who the villains will be. Maybe the Emperor's inner circle who show up for one shot in ep 6.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:08 pm

I guess its really up in the air of whom that really is in the posters. I hope we get to see Palpatine's elite guard (the guys in the red). Would be cool to see what those guys can actually do since we never saw them do anything but stand around in Jedi. You think maybe its one of them in the new posters. Could be anyone I guess.
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Speedy wrote:

Dude, I need to learn how to read. I didn't even know there was such a thing as "WOOKIEPEDIA." Fuck wiki...this site rules! They have all the stories color coded and the actual uyears in the universe these events takes place in a convenient timeline!?!? Color me impressed. I've been going over this thing for the last few days, and I'm glad you showed me that link. Thanks alot, man! :cheers: Thanks to this link I know to stay away from the Jedi prince saga, well done, man, well done. :heavydrink:
    thekurgen
    Oiler

by thekurgen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 pm

Whoooaaa! I cant believe I'm just finding this thread now. I'm a ridiculous Star Wars fan. And my story is similar! I never really liked the movies that much as a kid. Too young for them. I was born in '86 , three years after ROTJ came out. I was running out the door to catch a bus, and grab the first book sitting around. My sisters book, the second in the Han Solo trilogy. I was fucking hooked. I went to the library at school and got the The Paradise Snare that day. I haven't stopped reading and rereading since. I got a sweet quarter sleeve done in March this year, of the Falcon, an X-wing and the Lady Luck on my left arm. Eventually a full sleeve of Star Wars badassness.

The Thrawn trilogy was the first series(and frankly the BEST Star Wars series to ever come out) that Lucas gave permission to be published, so most of the written inspiration comes from there, Pre-episode 1 era. I'm into the Han Luke Leia stories, and all their kids. Since I read all those books before the new movies came out, I was disgusted that they shat all over the already well establish history that came with the books that started coming out in '95.

Sounds like your off to a fabulous start with the first list you had. The best author is Timothy Zahn, hands down. He created Thrawn, only the greatest strategist ever to not exist. An essential read is The Courtship of Princess Leia. Thrawn trilogy, Solo trilogy and Bounty Hunter trilogy are my favourite things, possibly in the world.

Also, in the newer books they have a printed timeline of everything published to date, in the first few pages.

I'm incredibly excited that the Solo Trilogy stole someone else's heart, as it did mine. Han, that sloped-grinned scoundrel. Have you heard of Anchorhead, the metal band? They play DARTH METAL!
    Insomnium/Bolt Thrower/Grand Magus/Demons & Wizards/Equilibrium/Gamma Ray/Dream Evil/Avantasia/Steel Panther/Wuthering Heights/Firewind/Running Wild/Wintersun/Finntroll/Striker/Kalmah/Brymir/Amon Amarth/CoC/Baroness/Graveyard/Blind Guardian/The Sword
    thekurgen
    Oiler

by thekurgen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:03 pm

SO! Why I didn't like episodes I,II and III isn't all that surprising. There was already an establish storyline in regards to Luke and Leias' mother. Also, I hated the "comic relief" of that fucking gungan, whose name I will not mention. But I get it, they needed to hook a younger generation. And of course Haden Christensen's acting. Although he wasn't too bad at all in the third. I admit, I shed a tear in the theatures when Order 66 went out.

I'm totally open minded and frankly, thankful about the Disney business. I really don't think they can do worse than that awful unmentionable character. From what I've read, they will be using great sci-fi names like Joss Whedon and Gene Roddenberry. They totally respect there's a whole universe with diehard fans. I think they will be making the movies about Han and Leias kids, opening the franchise up yet again, to another generation. Fuck. Yeah.
    Insomnium/Bolt Thrower/Grand Magus/Demons & Wizards/Equilibrium/Gamma Ray/Dream Evil/Avantasia/Steel Panther/Wuthering Heights/Firewind/Running Wild/Wintersun/Finntroll/Striker/Kalmah/Brymir/Amon Amarth/CoC/Baroness/Graveyard/Blind Guardian/The Sword
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:29 am

Hm. You have an argument about ignoring the story, they mentioned that they are going to ignore the established stories in the new trilogy. It's understandable though as all the new jedi order stuff would be really difficult to put into movie form. I agree though, I think they're going to do a good job on these movies!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:03 pm

thekurgen wrote:Whoooaaa! I cant believe I'm just finding this thread now. I'm a ridiculous Star Wars fan. And my story is similar! I never really liked the movies that much as a kid. Too young for them. I was born in '86 , three years after ROTJ came out. I was running out the door to catch a bus, and grab the first book sitting around. My sisters book, the second in the Han Solo trilogy. I was fucking hooked. I went to the library at school and got the The Paradise Snare that day. I haven't stopped reading and rereading since. I got a sweet quarter sleeve done in March this year, of the Falcon, an X-wing and the Lady Luck on my left arm. Eventually a full sleeve of Star Wars badassness.

The Thrawn trilogy was the first series(and frankly the BEST Star Wars series to ever come out) that Lucas gave permission to be published, so most of the written inspiration comes from there, Pre-episode 1 era. I'm into the Han Luke Leia stories, and all their kids. Since I read all those books before the new movies came out, I was disgusted that they shat all over the already well establish history that came with the books that started coming out in '95.

Sounds like your off to a fabulous start with the first list you had. The best author is Timothy Zahn, hands down. He created Thrawn, only the greatest strategist ever to not exist. An essential read is The Courtship of Princess Leia. Thrawn trilogy, Solo trilogy and Bounty Hunter trilogy are my favourite things, possibly in the world.

Also, in the newer books they have a printed timeline of everything published to date, in the first few pages.

I'm incredibly excited that the Solo Trilogy stole someone else's heart, as it did mine. Han, that sloped-grinned scoundrel. Have you heard of Anchorhead, the metal band? They play DARTH METAL!

Glad to see someone else taking an interest in this thread. Yeah, finished the Han Solo trilogy which was nothing short of amazing. I'm still ranting and raving about it and recommend it for EVERYONE. I like how there's the line in there when he's looking through Torenza's collection of relics and thinks to himself "this stuff should be in a museum." :lol: It's impossible to read thezse books and not hear Harrison Ford's voice, Chewies growls, and the Millenium Falcon soaring through space. The more I read these books, the more it seems like George Lucas tries to fuck over the authors that put so much sweat into making these match the movies. He knows about the stories but refuses to read them and pretty much writes them off as fan-fiction and writes his own version just to be a dick. No wonder everyone's been trash talking him since he placed new footage in the original trilogy in the late 90s. The authors try to acknowledge all of that stuff as cannon (such as Jabba walking on land and being noticably smaller than we all remember in Return of the Jedi.)

Just finished "Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Wanted to warn some of you (Joey mainly) that if you read that one first there are some pretty serious spoilers as to what happens to a couple of the main characters well into the future since the story line drastically jumps through the timeline and in not limited to being just around Empire Strikes Back.

Last week I just purchased "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry whom is a great author. He wrote an amazing trilogy of Alien Books (best in the series) and did some highly entertaining Conan novels in the 80s and 90s. Always love reading his material and this was no exception. The story takes place between the Empire Strikes Back and leads exceedingly well into Return of the Jedi. Nothing to complain about with this one. It's mostly about Prince Xizor (a villain concocted primarily for this story, but was also in the Han Solo trilogy) and features classic scenarios with Luke, Lando, Leia, Chewie, R2, and 3PO. It's another story that wraps Boba Fett in mystery while he always retains the upper hand. Like I said, nothing to complain about with this one.

Next I'm going to crack into "Tales from Jabba's Palace." The cover completely screamed into the 9 year old in me. After that, I'm going to read the trilogy about Boba Fett (The Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy). That series looks like its going to kick me in the balls. The covers look amazing and from what I've already heard about them, the story really does the artwork some serious justice. From what I've heard, George Lucas took a giant dump all over them with Episode II. Can't wait to find out! :mrgreen:
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:12 pm

I remember seeing the Star Wars in the cinema back home in Wangaratta as a kid - I guess Australia got it a little later than the US so probably 1978 when I was about 7.

But yeah - the joy and wonder I felt seeing that way back then? Man, that is something that stays with you for life :)

My brother and I still have quite a few of the original series of figures released back then - none in the original packaging or anything but still in pretty good condition. I had a big Death Star playset too (this one - http://www.toyark.com/star-wars-kenner- ... yset-3403/). I think mine is back home on the farm somewhere in a state far worse than the one in the link though :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:02 am

BTW, reading a Star Wars book while listening to Týr in the background leads to mental images of a longship full of stormtroopers. :lol:
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.

• DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:03 am

cowboy71 wrote:I remember seeing the Star Wars in the cinema back home in Wangaratta as a kid - I guess Australia got it a little later than the US so probably 1978 when I was about 7.

But yeah - the joy and wonder I felt seeing that way back then? Man, that is something that stays with you for life :)

My brother and I still have quite a few of the original series of figures released back then - none in the original packaging or anything but still in pretty good condition. I had a big Death Star playset too (this one - http://www.toyark.com/star-wars-kenner- ... yset-3403/). I think mine is back home on the farm somewhere in a state far worse than the one in the link though :P

Man, if I had that I would have staged so many action movies with my toys as a kid. Never got into the Star Wars toys as a kid. Holy shit, did George Lucas ever make a living off of those toys, though. Seems that Episode I was just a big toy commercial.

Yes, Cowboy, Star Wars stays with you for life. I have gone through several phases of not touching any form of Star War, but one way or another it always creeps back into my life one way or another. :cheers:
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Speedy wrote:BTW, reading a Star Wars book while listening to Týr in the background leads to mental images of a longship full of stormtroopers. :lol:

When I read the books, I've been listening to lots of symphonic Black Metal. Arcturus' Sham Mirrors goes very well as so does Dimmu Borgir, Vessania, Sirius, Crinocs, Grief of EmeralEmperor, and Septic Flesh. I save the the Viking stuff for whenever I read Conan or anything involving a giant sword. :mrgreen:
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:44 am

I too am surprised I have not come across this thread sooner. I've been very slow to catch up on the forums in general, especially with the workload I've had as of late.

So, where to start...

Been a Star Wars fan as long as I can remember. Didn't watch any of the originals in the theater (was just a tad too young), but I did see the Special Edition versions, and of course the Prequels. As much as I don’t care for the Prequel Trilogy as I’ve gotten older, it was still a pretty awesome feeling to go see Episode I on the opening night. I actually ended up watching it 4 times in the first week. Even if they’re not the best, for what it is, they’re still Star Wars, so I do enjoy the Prequels on some level or another.

Naturally, at some point I started to delve into the novels. I read a few here and there that I picked up from various libraries, and after learning about how many novels there were, I decided to start making purchases. Here’s a picture of my current bookshelf:

Can’t remember how long I’ve had that collection, but it’s been a little while. I ended EBay-ing a few lots (surprisingly, between the lots I purchased I only received duplicates of only 3 books). I decided to read what I had acquired in chronological order. I actually still have yet to make it all the way through them (I’m not as hardcore a reader as some folks, and tend to get distracted with other things…).
    My favorites so far have been the Han Solo trilogy and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy. I’ve enjoyed practically everything I’ve read so far except for the Bounty Hunter trilogy. I really don’t know what it was about that one, but I found that series very difficult to read. The story was fine, but I felt like the actual writing was just not very good, and if I recall correctly I felt like the author kept going back and referencing and explaining events that had happened in the past, almost to the point where one could’ve read the last book without having read the first two, and still pick up what’s going on.
    I was a bit upset about The Force Unleashed novelization. I was excited for the video game, and in that excitement bought the novel, as it was out before the game itself. Big mistake. I finished the novel before the game came out, and as I’m playing the game, I quickly found out that I knew what was happening. It really ruined the game for me. I mean, what was the point in playing through if I knew what was gonna happen? Guess that’s my own fault there, should’ve expected it to be as it was. That said, the novel itself was fine, a very simple read.

Anyone remember Star Wars: Clone Wars? Not the current CGI series, the older series from 2003. That was a badass little series. Just a bunch of action with some story to it, moreso in the second season, especially how it the events of that season lead into the third movie. Thought that was neat. Newer series? I gave it a chance, but I couldn’t get into it.

As for the future… I’m on the fence regarding the next series of movies. There seem to be a few ups and downs, but I suppose that I have to admit that I am overall more excited than not. I too am speculating that the new series will focus on Han and Leia’s offspring. I guess one of my concerns is if/how anything the movie brings up will ‘interfere’ with any current novella that’s out there. I’ve not read anything that involves Han and Leia’s children in their later years, but I have to imagine that there’s going to be some sort of conflicting stories and events and such. I could be wrong though. The fact of the matter is, there is a lot that they can do. It could be awesome. It could be lame. It could be so-so. I think my main hope is that Disney doesn’t try and introduce some new niche-type characters for marketing purposes (no more Jar-Jars, thx). Guess we shall see!

That’s all I’m going to wall-of-text for now.
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:42 pm

^^ :lol: The top half of your bookshelf looks very much like mine. Most of the books are the same and in the same order. I find your opinion on the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy sad, because I've been lo0oking forward to reading it for quite a while now. I'm currently finishing up on "Tales from Jabba's Palace," which is actually fucking rad. It involves drifferent perspectives from almost every creature lurking in Jabba's Palace during "Return of the Jedi." Imagine the first 45 minutes of Jedi told in Pulp Fiction timing. Not to be missed for any fans of the movie.
    nekrobarr
    Ensign

by nekrobarr » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:22 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:^^ :lol: The top half of your bookshelf looks very much like mine. Most of the books are the same and in the same order. I find your opinion on the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy sad, because I've been lo0oking forward to reading it for quite a while now. I'm currently finishing up on "Tales from Jabba's Palace," which is actually fucking rad. It involves drifferent perspectives from almost every creature lurking in Jabba's Palace during "Return of the Jedi." Imagine the first 45 minutes of Jedi told in Pulp Fiction timing. Not to be missed for any fans of the movie.

Well I certainly don't mean to quash your enthusiasm for reading that trilogy! I could just be picky about writing styles, I dunno, besides, as Geordi says...

Also, did I just tarnish this thread with that picture? :lol:
    13-time Survivor
    I <3 Funeral Doom

Wishlist (First Timers):
    AeonianSorrow-/-Ahab-/-Arcturus-/-Arð-/-Avantasia-/-BalSagoth-/-BarrenEarth-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-Clouds-/-Crematory-/-DaylightDies-/-Doomed-/-Dordeduh-/-EternalTearsOfSorrow-/-Evoken-/-FatesWarning-/-ForgottenTomb-/-Funeral-/-GhostBrigade-/-Godthrymm-/-Graveworm-/-HellLight-/-Konvent-/-Krypts-/-Kuolemanlaakso-/-LacrimasProfundere-/-LightFieldReverie-/-Loss-/-TheManEatingTree-/-MarianasRest-/-Monolithe-/-TheMorningside-/-MournfulCongregation-/-Ophis-/-Pantheist-/-Poisonblack-/-Primordial-/-RedMoonArchitect-/-Remembrance-/-Runemagick-/-Sahg-/-Saille-/-Saturnus-/-SeventhVoid-/-ShapeOfDespair-/-Skepticism-/-Sojourner-/-Strigoi-/-TempleOfVoid-/-TombOfFinland-/-Triptykon-/-WhenNothingRemains-/-Winterfylleth-/-WoeUntoMe-/-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-/-Wormwood

Wishlist (Repeats):
    Ajattara-/-Bloodbath-/-Candlemass-/-DeathAngel-/-Enslaved-/-Evergrey-/-InVain-/-Kalmah-/-Kampfar-/-MajesticDownfall-/-Moonsorow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-NovembersDoom-/-OctoberTide-/-ParadiseLost-/-Septicflesh-/-SwallowTheSun-/-Thyrfing-/-Tiamat-/-Vreid
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am

nekrobarr wrote:
    DJ Old Man Stares wrote:^^ :lol: The top half of your bookshelf looks very much like mine. Most of the books are the same and in the same order. I find your opinion on the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy sad, because I've been lo0oking forward to reading it for quite a while now. I'm currently finishing up on "Tales from Jabba's Palace," which is actually fucking rad. It involves drifferent perspectives from almost every creature lurking in Jabba's Palace during "Return of the Jedi." Imagine the first 45 minutes of Jedi told in Pulp Fiction timing. Not to be missed for any fans of the movie.

Well I certainly don't mean to quash your enthusiasm for reading that trilogy! I could just be picky about writing styles, I dunno, besides, as Geordi says...

Also, did I just tarnish this thread with that picture? :lol:

:lol: You're alright, because you used a picture from The Next Generation.
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:17 am

Thought I would attempt to get this thread rolling again since it some potential with Star Wars being a vast subject and all. Just finished reading the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy and the story was not nearly as cool as those wonderful covers depict. The author took a cool story that could have been told in 300-400 pages and expanded it to be a trilogy resulting in making me feel as if I was reading another overdrawn Robert Jordan novel that was only complicated for the sake of being complicated. Not a bad story, but yes as Nerkobarr has said, the writing wasn't bad but it just wasn't good. Definitely looking forward to "the Truce at Bakura" since I haven't read it since I was 176. Shit that was 17 years ago! Anyway, I remember that one being very awesome being as how it begins right where Return of the Jedi ends. Great character development with Luke and Leia, if I remember right. Anyway, I'll be taking a break to read another Conan novel by Robert E. Howard.
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:08 am

So you're 193 years old? Haha.

They announced a release date for episode 7. December 18th 2015.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 am

Stained Class wrote:So you're 193 years old? Haha.

They announced a release date for episode 7. December 18th 2015.

Haha!!! I meant 17.

Anyway, glad they pushed the date back 6 months, since it was originally supposed to be May 15th, I believe. This means we will get a better movie, right? It also means I have more time to read the novels and bitch about how the movie sucks in comparison to books I just read. :P
  • Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:58 am

It's always nice when you realize that there are a lot of people much nerdier than you are ;)

But anyways... this is my swimwear for the boat. So when I saw the thread about Star Wars i couldn't help my self, had to brag! hehe!

http://prylkoll.se/star-wars-r2-d2-baddrakt/
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:07 am

Emma wrote:It's always nice when you realize that there are a lot of people much nerdier than you are ;)

But anyways... this is my swimwear for the boat. So when I saw the thread about Star Wars i couldn't help my self, had to brag! hehe!

Very nice! :wank:
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band

I run a festival
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:44 am

Wanted to give this thread a bump since the forum seems to be ablaze with energy once again. Reading Truce at Bakura again, which I have not read since I was 17. Now that my age has doubled I am actually enjoying this one far more now, which I didn't even know was possible. I will place this one up there with the excellent Han Solo Trilogy. I can hear the blaster fire and the epic John Williams soundtrack as I flip through the pages with childlike awe.
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am

Just finished Book 4 of the X-Wing series. Book 4 concludes the initial story by Michael A. Stackpole who I learned from blazing through four of his books is an amazing writer. He really understands the Star Wars universe technology and the characters very well. Characters such as Wedge and Admiral Ackbar are fleshed out in a way that makes you want to know more about them. Recommended for any fans of the movies. This book gives very awesome insights to the consequences of side characters from all of the space fights from the original trilogy. Consider me blown away. :shock:
  • biertroll
    Midshipman

by biertroll » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Emma wrote:It's always nice when you realize that there are a lot of people much nerdier than you are ;)

Nice!!

My "costume" for the costume party is Chewbacca poor (wo)mans style. Tshirt :lol:

I have much to learn. You guys and your awesome nerdery.
    I am only just a fan of the movies (and I haven't watched them in years, since I only ever watched them with BierVulf who was the only one of my friends that ever appreciated the series).

I will get there eventually. But I appreciate that I can now at least come to this thread and at least have some sort of idea of where to start from when it comes to the books (it is pretty overwhelming). Cheers! :cheers:
    70000tons 2020 Wishlist: EYEHATEGOD, Carpathian Forest, Demons & Wizards, SSS, Magrudergrind, Asphyx

Deck ? 2020
    Survived 70K 12,14,15,16, 17. PsychoCA 15. PsychoLV 16, 17, 18. MDF 13,14,15. QDF 18.
  • Alston9
    Wiper

by Alston9 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:02 am

Nice
    Wicker Man
    Petty Officer

by Wicker Man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:21 am

I am a star wars fan too, but never got into the book part, maybe it was too nerdy for me, but because of you guys I want to read them now... Only problem is that there is already so many book in my list :S

On the other hand, anybody have this gem :
    The shadow of the Wicker Man is rising up again!
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:35 am

One of many photos Leaves' Eyes/Atrocity posted on their Facebook pages from "Tatooine" (RotJ, Yuma Desert).
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.

• DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 am

biertroll wrote:

Nice!!

My "costume" for the costume party is Chewbacca poor (wo)mans style. Tshirt :lol:

I have much to learn. You guys and your awesome nerdery.
    I am only just a fan of the movies (and I haven't watched them in years, since I only ever watched them with BierVulf who was the only one of my friends that ever appreciated the series).

I will get there eventually. But I appreciate that I can now at least come to this thread and at least have some sort of idea of where to start from when it comes to the books (it is pretty overwhelming). Cheers! :cheers:

Great to see this thread getting some more support. Like I said, if you start off with the Han Solo trilogy (origin story leading right up to Episode IV) or Truce at Bakura (starts right after Return of the Jedi) then you will have a good time!
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:32 am

Wicker Man wrote:I am a star wars fan too, but never got into the book part, maybe it was too nerdy for me, but because of you guys I want to read them now... Only problem is that there is already so many book in my list :S

On the other hand, anybody have this gem :

Saw this at the bookstore a few months ago. What is this; is it any good or at least entertaining?
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 am

Check out the preview on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/William-Shakespea ... 1594746370
    Not for me, but some people would surely find it entertaining.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.

Post Reply 52 posts